none
Windows 7 Disk Consistency error

Question

• Hi. My PC has recently been prompting me to run a disk consistency check every time i boot. i allow it, and it tells me that an error occurred and i have to restore it to a point that it doesn't specify, and it also doesn't tell me what is causing the problem. the only information it gives is an error code that disappears quickly. i can still use the PC fine, and it doesn't appear to be slow and hasn't informed me of any malfunction whilst in windows. what are the steps i can take to get rid of this error? since it wouldn't appear if there was nothing wrong.

EDIT- the power button on the start menu repeatedly tells me to shut down and install updates, and when i do that and boot back up, it says the same thing!
    don't know if this has anything to do with it.

thanks
    -Jord
    Saturday, March 13, 2010 1:20 AM

All replies

• Hi Jord,

Please perform the steps below to check disk and see if the issue can be resolved:

Method 1:

=======

1. Click the Start Button, type "cmd" (without quotation marks) in the Search bar.

2. Right click on the search result listed upper and click Run as Administrator.

3. In the open command window, input the following command and press Enter Key after it.

Chkdsk /f /r

4. Please type Y and press Enter.

5. Please restart the computer and let the tool check all drives on the computer.

Method 2:

======= 

1. Click the Start Button, click Computer.

2. Right-click on the hard drive you would like to check and choose Properties.

3. Switch to the Tool tab and click on the "Check Now" button. Click Continue if necessary.

4. Select both the "Automatically fix file system errors" and "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors" options.

Note: If we are trying to check the system drive, we may need to restart the computer to complete the check process.

5. Click Start.

Note: It is recommended to repeat the steps above to check the disk twice so that most of the error can be found and fixed.

For more information, please refer to this article: Run Check Disk from a Command Line to Check for and fix Disk Errors

Regards,

Linda

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Monday, March 22, 2010 1:47 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Jord-22 Friday, April 02, 2010 2:04 PM
    Monday, March 15, 2010 5:52 AM
  • Hi, i have tried that, and when i reboot to allow the check of C:, it tells me it cannot continue because of an unspecified error, and that a recent installation was the cause. it tells me my only option is to restore, but it fails to restore when i attempt to.
    Tuesday, March 23, 2010 1:16 AM
  • I have experienced the exact same problem . I am now in a perpetual loop. I tried the suggested remedies outlined above. No change.

The disk consistency error developed after a recent Windows 7 update was installed. Windows won't let me restore to an earlier point because of the "disk consistency" error. I also tried removing the latest updates using the "Unistall Program" option (uninstall Windows updates) in the Control Panel.  No luck.

Friday, April 02, 2010 3:10 AM
  • Yep, the exact same problem. does your computer crash randomly as well? mine does even when its not really doing anything, and i dont know if its a hardware issue, or disk issue or what.
    Friday, April 02, 2010 2:06 PM
  • Yes!!  Exactly the same problem.  Does anyone have the answer short of a complete re-install of OS?
    Friday, April 09, 2010 7:42 AM
  • Yep have exact same problem aswell have tried removing recently isntalled programs but the last one on the lsit is... guess what a windows update! really very annoying and i know it could cause further problems when installling apps in the future, is there a fix yet?!!!!!

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 7:25 PM
  • I have the same problem after installing an update (version 5.3) to Sony's PMB (a media browser application) that installed an update to DirectX.
    Tuesday, October 19, 2010 3:35 AM
  • Using CheckDisk from the Command Line

Open up an administrator mode command prompt, and then type in the following command to do an exhaustive check of your drive. Substitute C: for whatever drive you want to check.

chkdsk /f /r C:

If the drive is a system drive or has files in use, you’ll be asked to schedule the check for the next reboot:

The above command is the recommended way to perform a disk check, but if you want to do a less exhaustive check, you could remove the /R option from the command.

Here’s the full list of parameters for your geeky enjoyment:

C:\>chkdsk /?
    Checks a disk and displays a status report.

CHKDSK [volume[[path]filename]]] [/F] [/V] [/R] [/X] [/I] [/C] [/L[:size]] [/B]

volume     Specifies the drive letter (followed by a colon),
             mount point, or volume name.
     filename    FAT/FAT32 only: Specifies the files to check for fragmentation.
     /F       Fixes errors on the disk.
     /V       On FAT/FAT32: Displays the full path and name of every file
             on the disk.
             On NTFS: Displays cleanup messages if any.
     /R       Locates bad sectors and recovers readable information
             (implies /F).
     /L:size     NTFS only: Changes the log file size to the specified number
             of kilobytes. If size is not specified, displays current
             size.
     /X       Forces the volume to dismount first if necessary.
             All opened handles to the volume would then be invalid
             (implies /F).
     /I       NTFS only: Performs a less vigorous check of index entries.
     /C       NTFS only: Skips checking of cycles within the folder
             structure.
     /B       NTFS only: Re-evaluates bad clusters on the volume
             (implies /R)

The /I or /C switch reduces the amount of time required to run Chkdsk by
    skipping certain checks of the volume.

Network Systems Engineer * Zvetco Biometrics * Windows Server 2008 R2 * Core2 6600 @ 3.30GHz * 16 GIGS RAM * NVIDIA 9400GT * ** " Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Monday, November 01, 2010 7:55 PM
  • I have done all the things above

I get this:

Access Denied as you do not have sufficient privileges.
    You have to invoke this utility running in elevated mode.

Can someone help?

I hit check disk utility and it just flashes and disappears and if I do the check now on the disk and it says run it at reboot, it never does. Also, in my defraggmentor it only shows the D: drive and not the C:

Help Please!! Thanks

Monday, November 29, 2010 6:23 PM
  • you have to open the command prompt with admin rights:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/How-do-I-run-an-application-once-with-a-full-administrator-access-token

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Monday, November 29, 2010 11:57 PM
  • okay. so my computer has crashed which made me reinstall OS. at first it worked like it should and after the first restart, i got the check disk consistency and it keeps doing it and the list of unreadable files keeps going on and on... after almost every restart. its a custom built pc.. should i replace the HD?

i had to reinstall OS because it gave me this error: STOP: C000021a{fatal system Error}

The initial session process or system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0x00000000(0xC0000034 0x10046c)

The system has been shut down.

Thursday, March 15, 2012 4:42 PM