none
Windows Media Player plays sound backwards

Question

• Hello

Lately I have been running into some very weird problem with Windows Media player.

Movies are opened normally, BUT the sound is played from the end to the beginning, backwards, at a very fast pace.

At first this only happened with the .mkv videos, and I suspected to be a codec problem, so I uninstalled the codec pack and then reinstalled it and nothing changed. It works fine in other media players, but in WMP not.

Today, the same thing happened with .AVI files. They open correctly in say Windows Media Center, but sound is played backwards in Windows Media Player.

I assume they use the very same codecs, so this can't be a problem with the codecs, even though I've uninstalled and reinstalled the codecs again.

Friday, February 24, 2012 4:48 PM

Answers

• Hi,

May I know if the issue occurs on all media files, such as MKV, AVI, etc.?

And, does the issue occurs on all AVI media files or special AVI media files?

Firstly, please see the document Codecs: frequently asked questions.

Please notice this, “However, a file format such as Audio Video Interleaved (AVI) can contain data that is compressed by
    any of a number of different codecs, including the MPEG-2, DivX, or XviD codecs. AVI files can also contain data that is not compressed by any codec. Consequently, you might be able t
    o play some AVI files and not others, ed to compress the file and which codecs you have installed on your computer. For the same reason, you also might be able to
    play the audio portion of an AVI file, but not the video portion.” in “Are codecs and file formats the same?”.

According to this, the issue can be caused by the mismatched audio codecs. Try removing the current codecs or installing different audio codecs to troubleshoot the issue.

In addition, you can use this tool to help you determining the codecs which have been installed in your system.

Autoruns for Windows v11.21

Hope this helps.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, February 27, 2012 7:58 AM

All replies

• Hi,

May I know if the issue occurs on all media files, such as MKV, AVI, etc.?

And, does the issue occurs on all AVI media files or special AVI media files?

Firstly, please see the document Codecs: frequently asked questions.

Please notice this, “However, a file format such as Audio Video Interleaved (AVI) can contain data that is compressed by
    any of a number of different codecs, including the MPEG-2, DivX, or XviD codecs. AVI files can also contain data that is not compressed by any codec. Consequently, you might be able t
    o play some AVI files and not others, ed to compress the file and which codecs you have installed on your computer. For the same reason, you also might be able to
    play the audio portion of an AVI file, but not the video portion.” in “Are codecs and file formats the same?”.

According to this, the issue can be caused by the mismatched audio codecs. Try removing the current codecs or installing different audio codecs to troubleshoot the issue.

In addition, you can use this tool to help you determining the codecs which have been installed in your system.

Autoruns for Windows v11.21

Hope this helps.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, February 27, 2012 7:58 AM
  •  It happens to all .MKV files but i figured it only happens with some AVI files.

For MKV I already use a different player which is "dedicated". I will follow the instructions and return with the results soon.

Monday, February 27, 2012 8:55 AM