none
Realtek HD Audio device

Question

• I encountered some sound problem and then I uninstall the Realtek HD Audio from Add/Remove Programs. It requires to restart the computer so I restart my computer. After that I can't install again the driver & the program. BTW, I have Windows XP SP3 in my computer.
    Friday, January 11, 2008 6:07 PM

Answers

• It's a version mismatch in the driver.

A hotfix specific to Sp3, for the HD Audio driver, will be made available after XP SP3 releases.

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 9:10 PM

All replies

• what exactly is the error? be more specific!
    Friday, January 11, 2008 9:31 PM
  • The output sound is not continuous, that's why I uninstall the driver & program. But the problem now is that, I can't install the program & driver again. The installShield will start installing but in the middle of installation it will prompt "Install Realtek HD Audio Driver Failure !!"

I don't know why...
    Saturday, January 12, 2008 1:32 AM

• Try this:

remove the sound card from the device manager, then reboot and install again. Maybe that helps?

Saturday, January 12, 2008 2:56 AM
  • I have about the same symptoms here as the OP.

The Device Manager shows some audio stuff, but they are empty, so no drivers are present to delete.

My board has the IDT HD audio chip. Maybe KB888111 info is relevant. I'll keep digging, but I think there is definitely some driver version prob, etc with SP3rc and HD audio install.

Saturday, January 12, 2008 5:53 AM
  • It's a version mismatch in the driver.

A hotfix specific to Sp3, for the HD Audio driver, will be made available after XP SP3 releases.

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 9:10 PM
  • I was wondering.

Why don't you simply include the HD Audio drivers in SP3?

Sunday, January 27, 2008 10:45 PM
  • I would also like to ask if the Realtek drivers could be included in SP3, rather than have to patch it later on. Sometimes I like to reinstall my OS, install SP3 and then all my drivers, including the Realtek ones. It would be nice if SP3 would at least let me do this, but in every case I have to load my audio drivers and then SP3.

Monday, January 28, 2008 5:05 AM
  • Hi

Try to install the Audio Driver in the clean boot state. I mean do the follwing steps as may be its possible there can be some background processes of other third party software not allowing the software to install.

1.). Click on Start--> Run--> type in " msconfig " . Press ok

2). Click on startup tab on the top right. Click on disable all on the bottom, also click on services tab on the top, then click disable all...in the same row put a check mark on " Hide all microsoft services".

3). Click on apply and close and let the computer restart automatically.

When the computer screen comes up click on OK on system configuartion wizard and start the install the audio driver once again. Reply back if still the issue persists.

Regards

Himanshu Dogra

Systems Engineer, Microsoft Small Business Server 2003 Platform

Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer ( MCSE )

Monday, January 28, 2008 10:47 AM
  • Before I explain the error message. I removed everything on my hard drive with a software that removes everything, then installed my HP Windows XP SP 2, then XP SP3, then installed my HP drivers, almost all installed. The problem is because KB888111 will not install (HP sp32646 - KB888111 Microsoft UAA Bus Driver HD Audio). Same thing happens in the Toshiba KB888111 is included in Realtek drivers. The error message was can not install, its an older version. Because KB888111 is not installed the sound drivers and modem driver will not install. Then I found that if I installed all my HP or Toshiba drivers before I install XP SP3 I have success. To install Realtek or KB88811,  XP SP3 must be removed.
    Monday, January 28, 2008 11:41 PM
  • Hi troubled241,

KB888111 can be installed on top of SP3. Follow the instructions below.

1) Use 7-zip or WinRAR to extract

2) Extract KB888111XPSP2.exe to a folder such as C:\KB888111XPSP2

3) Open Device Manager, search for the Unknown PCI device

4) Right click on the Unknown PCI device to update the driver

5) Point the driver path to this C:\KB888111XPSP2\commonfiles\

It should be able to update. Install the audio driver on your machine. Good luck!

Also read these threads for more information.

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2721330&SiteID=17

&

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2615992&SiteID=17

Regards,

Thomas

troubled241 wrote:
    Then I found that if I installed all my HP or Toshiba drivers before I install XP SP3 I have success. To install Realtek or KB88811,  XP SP3 must be removed.

• Proposed as answer by d00mil Monday, September 14, 2009 6:44 PM
    Tuesday, January 29, 2008 12:30 PM
  • I wish I had noticed this thread before I reloaded a Compaq SR2020NX with MCE SP3 (build 3300). This thing is only 6 months old and both drives have already needed to be replaced, and the restore DVDs don't work (BOAT ANCHOR)!

Saturday, February 16, 2008 9:47 PM
  • Install KB835221.EXE

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/835221

http://www.msfn.org/board/integrate-questions-t77086.html

Saturday, February 16, 2008 10:18 PM
  •  daniel_k wrote:

I was wondering.

Why don't you simply include the HD Audio drivers in SP3?

darkrats wrote:

I would also like to ask if the Realtek drivers could be included in SP3, rather than have to patch it later on. Sometimes I like to reinstall my OS, install SP3 and then all my drivers, including the Realtek ones. It would be nice if SP3 would at least let me do this, but in every case I have to load my audio drivers and then SP3.

The reason that drivers are typically not included in Microsoft Service Packs is becuase Microsoft does not make drivers for hardware (except for Microsoft hardware, which it has been progressively pulling out of as well over the last 5 years particularly in regards to gaming accessories).  The manufacturer of the hardware itself is also who writes the driver for it.  Microsoft has a program called WHQL (Windows Hardware Quality Labs) where manufacturers are invited to voluntarily submit the drivers they made so that Microsoft can test them in an asortment of various hardware configurations to test for bugs and stability, and when and if the submitted drivers pass the WHQL testing process Microsoft will digitally sign them and make them available on the Windows Update website.  This is why you sometimes get the warning message about unsigned drivers when you install new hardware - not everyone submits their drivers, though it could also just be that the driver you are installing is new and Microsoft hasn't signed off on it themselves yet.  No one needs to participate.  It just makes it more convienient to update the OS and drivers in one stop.  Otherwise, every manufacturer of each piece of hardware in your PC will have a website with drivers available typically - and in any regard, those are definitely going to be more up to date than the ones on the Windows Update site (unless the hardware is really old).

For the drivers included on a shipping OS - typically a refresh of what is included is considered for each launch of a new version of Windows.

The bottom line is that drivers is not Microsoft's domain or responsibility (except on Microsoft hardware).

That said, Basharat's Sneaky Driver Packs may facilitate what you wish from an installation CD.  I'd check it out.  I've used it with great success, making an up-to-date Windows XP with all known drivers image that was about 1.005GB - thus requiring my installation CD to actually be a DVD - but for the advantages I'd say it was worth it.  Everyone's opinion may vary.

http://driverpacks.net/

Hope that answers those particular concerns and helps in finding an alternative solution for them.

Brian
    Sunday, February 17, 2008 2:16 AM
  • Friday, February 22, 2008 1:38 AM
  • Hi there at last a plain and simple walkthrough that wont stress the brain cells,

Oh and did i mention it works, Fine job my freind thank you, I searched all four corners of the web for an awnser to this one, and it was staring me in the face all the time. cheers again. 

Monday, February 25, 2008 1:32 AM
  • THANKs very much Thomas , it's worked .

ThomasLee wrote:

Hi troubled241,

It should be able to update. Install the audio driver on your machine. Good luck!

&

Regards,

Thomas

troubled241 wrote:
    Then I found that if I installed all my HP or Toshiba drivers before I install XP SP3 I have success. To install Realtek or KB88811,  XP SP3 must be removed.

Monday, February 25, 2008 5:20 AM
  • Hi Thomas,

Just like to send you a heart felt THANK YOU for this HD sound mod that you posted! I've spent probably 40 hours or more trying to get the HD sound working on XP SP3. Installed and re-installed XP a few times, sound drivers, M/B drivers, etc.I was actually on the verge on re-installing SP2, when I read your mod.

Again, thanks for keeping my sanity.

Tuesday, March 04, 2008 11:19 PM
  •  no.1preacher wrote:

Just like to send you a heart felt THANK YOU for this HD sound mod that you posted! I've spent probably 40 hours or more trying to get the HD sound working on XP SP3. Installed and re-installed XP a few times, sound drivers, M/B drivers, etc.I was actually on the verge on re-installing SP2, when I read your mod.

Again, thanks for keeping my sanity.

Hi no.1preacher,

Well, I didn't provided the solution in the first place. I just rewrote/layout the solution into some very simple steps/instructions to follow. Thank you so much for your nice statements anyway. Cheers!

Regards,

Thomas

Tuesday, March 04, 2008 11:38 PM
  • Whats the skinny chris??......i still can't get sound on my pc because of the realtek hd driver.

Tuesday, April 01, 2008 2:26 PM
  • RC2 Refresh carries the HD audio driver with it.

Please try installing the realtek driver after installation of RC2 Refresh.

Thanks

Shashank

Tuesday, April 01, 2008 6:49 PM
  • Works like a charm thnx Thomas
    Wednesday, April 23, 2008 11:02 PM
  • This worked for me on both an ECS and MSI mothboards.  Thank you Thomas you are right on the money

Friday, May 23, 2008 3:15 PM
  • I have tried everything mentioned in this thread several times, including a manual removal and reinstall of the KB888111 patch, and NOTHING has gotten my sound to work.  I continually get an Error Code 10 - Device Cannot Start.  I have an XFX motherboard with the Realtek HD Audio built-in.

Am I missing something here?  I've tried using the latest Realtek driver set (1.94), I've tried using the drivers that Windows installs from the add hardware wizard.. I've even tried uninstalling all my sound drivers, disabling the onboard audio in BIOS, rebooting, reactivating and reinstalling everything.  Nothing works!!

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 11:53 PM
  • The extraction process worked. When you extract it into a folder, which I did next to the original file, the commonfile folder was there. After going to device manager and using the option to find the file yourself, works like a charm and it updated, HEARD A SOUND and Voila!! Thanks for that tip, excellent!!

Troubled....AWESOME.

Thursday, May 29, 2008 1:42 AM
  • ThomasLee, thanks also. Good one. Also, remember some might not have Device Manager with in the Control Panel. If this is the case, double click SYSTEM then click HARDWARE and then click DEVICE MANAGER from there. That's how I had to find mine.

Saturday, May 31, 2008 3:06 AM

• Hello Chris,

I chanced upon your mail regarding Realtek HD Audio Drivers patch for Windows XP SP3. Has it been made available and if so where can I download it? Need it urgently.

Best regards
    V.Venkatramani
    Friday, July 25, 2008 10:53 AM
  •  Venkatramani wrote:
    I chanced upon your mail regarding Realtek HD Audio Drivers patch for Windows XP SP3. Has it been made available and if so where can I download it? Need it urgently.

Posts earlier on this thread related to beta versions of SP3.  The final public release of SP3 included the HD Audio drivers.  What makes you think that you need any "patch"?  What is your actual problem?

Friday, July 25, 2008 10:58 AM
  • I was installing Realtek HD audio drivers after installing WinXPP SP3. It gets installed. But just would not show under the sound and audio devices in control panel. No sound either.Also if you go to see the mixer devices and MIDI devices and audio devices under realtek HD Audio in device manager, it would show "driver installed but not working properly".
    Tried removing and re-installing by various methods and still would not work.

The following worked:
    Finally re-installed the OS. Cancelled the auto installation prompt of the new device found.
    Under device manager went to realtekHD audio (which was showing yellow mark) and manually chose 'udate driver' -- 'Don't search I will choose the drivers to install' --selected sound video game controller and thru 'have disk' gave the path of the extracted driver file folder. Got it installed and it works fine now.

Thanks for your immediate reply.

Friday, July 25, 2008 12:43 PM
  • I am running Windows Professional with SP2 and I have a ASRock MB with Realtek HD Audio onboard. I have called ASRock numberous times because I have no audio through my speakers. The Tech. support guy says that the drivers are installed correctly and I have nno error messages coming up about driver errors. Any help or ideas would be great!!!!

-Matt
    Friday, August 01, 2008 1:47 AM
  •  MattVtNy wrote:
    I am running Windows Professional with SP2 and I have a ASRock MB with Realtek HD Audio onboard. I have called ASRock numberous times because I have no audio through my speakers. The Tech. support guy says that the drivers are installed correctly and I have nno error messages coming up about driver errors. Any help or ideas would be great!!!!

-Matt

Have seen this when the audio output was not set to Realtek HD output - check in Sound/Audio in the control panel.

Saturday, August 02, 2008 6:03 AM
  • I was told pervious because the device was making it toware only the sound coming from my speakers were getting picked up on my mic to uninstall the device. So i did. And now i have lost my sound and recording its not picking up ne thing ne more and it wont let me reinstall anything please help asap

Friday, August 08, 2008 1:27 AM
  •  

i tried all that but it still wont install
    Saturday, August 23, 2008 12:06 AM
  • Sunday, August 24, 2008 12:35 PM
  • Hi all,

I have read and followed the earlier post:

when I extracted the Zip file from Microsoft to C:\KB888111XPSP2, I only see two files - KB888111 Readme and Support OS All Languages ZIP files.  Then I doubled click on the Zip file and extracted to the same above folder.  All I see was a bunch of little folders with I guess for difference languages --> WHERE IS THE COMMONFILES that the above post is talking about?  What is Unknown PCI device?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

APCM

Saturday, September 06, 2008 1:29 AM
  • APCM, what audio hardware does this PC have?  Is it in fact an "HD Audio" system?

Saturday, September 06, 2008 9:40 AM
  • rdhw, I think it is Realtek AC97 Audio.  I don't know whether it is "HD Audio" or not.  How can you find that out? 

My gut feeling tells me that it is not a HD Audio because my system is an old Sony VAIO laptop.

Saturday, September 06, 2008 4:47 PM
  • APCM, if you have AC97 Audio, you should not be trying any of the procedures in this thread.  They are totally wrong for you.  You simply need to install the coirrect driver for your product, from the Sony VAIO support site.

Saturday, September 06, 2008 6:21 PM
  • i am sorry .

Maybe i am stupid, especially on OS issue.  It was said that the problem was solved. But i still can't made my PC speak after wasting much time.

The HD Audio installation was successful each time, then reboot, than nothing change: no RealTek logo in the control  panel , no voice

Saturday, September 27, 2008 10:01 AM
  • updaet   realtek  audio kb888111xpsp2  2 wark with windows vista

Friday, October 03, 2008 3:29 PM
  • No that did not work and so far everything I have tried just goes belly-up and leaves me with absolutely no sound whatsoever.

Monday, December 01, 2008 8:35 AM
  •  ThomasLee wrote:

Hi troubled241,

&

Regards,

Thomas

You, sir, are a goddam legend!

Many thanks, this trick has saved my sanity!
    Monday, December 08, 2008 9:46 PM
  • WORKS DUDE GOD BLESS U !!!!!!
    Monday, July 06, 2009 2:42 PM

• Well, I've had so much bother with this particular issue over a number of months and spent countless hours trawling the net for a valid solution so thank you ThomasLee! It not only worked for my laptop that I decided to get rid of Vista and install XP on, but also my main system which cost me a fortune with no real answer from the vendor why the O/B RT HD wouldn't get picked up, so I had to install a secondary sound card in to get past the issue.

Now I can remove my secondary sound card and utilise the PCI slot for something else to which is originally meant.

Many, many thanks.

Sunday, July 12, 2009 7:41 PM
  • Thanks ThomasLee it worked!  Appreciate your efforts.

Friday, November 06, 2009 7:59 PM
  • Well Thomas you are something!

That there solve my problems. It's about 10.30Pm Right now and I am about to go and sleep, soundly I must say. The problem also extends to other sound adapters other than Realtek. But who cares, the answer is right here!
    Thursday, January 07, 2010 8:29 PM
  • i have tryed all can ne one do it foe me useung vnc?? plz i put xp sp3 on my gf laptop and yes she is mad at me plz plz plz help me
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 5:41 PM
  • Hey guys very important!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

it worked!!!!!!!!Hurray! 

My problem with 
    (windows vista home basic) 

You don't have to do anything,just go in device manager and find sound video and game controller then click on (+) button, you will get VIA high definition audio then go to the properties and then driver, and choose update driver,you will get two option,choose the second one,browse my computer for driver software,then in the next page you will see,let me pick from a list of device driver in my computer, you will get two option again,choose,high definition audio device,keep on looking in your audio icon in the monitor of your computer,if it changes,its okay if it doesn't then do same procedure and choose next one.But in my case it changed in the beginning,the audio icon didn't anymore showed no audio output device is installed,and i played ,there was sound passing through speaker but i didn't hear anything,then i again went through device manager and finally updated it after choosing the properties from sound video and game controller,then i got sound!!!! 

Give try!!!
    Tuesday, February 09, 2010 4:58 AM

it worked!!!!!!!!Hurray! 

My problem with (windows vista home basic) 

You don't have to do anything,just go in device manager and find sound video and game controller then click on (+) button, you will get VIA high definition audio then go to the properties and then driver, and choose update driver,you will get two option,choose the second one,browse my computer for driver software,then in the next page you will see,let me pick from a list of device driver in my computer, you will get two option again,choose,high definition audio device,keep on looking in your audio icon in the monitor of your computer,if it changes,its okay if it doesn't then do same procedure and choose next one.But in my case it changed in the beginning,the audio icon didn't anymore showed no audio output device is installed,and i played ,there was sound passing through speaker but i didn't hear anything,then i again went through device manager and finally updated it after choosing the properties from sound video and game controller,then i got sound!!!! 

Give try!!!
    Tuesday, February 09, 2010 4:58 AM

it worked!!!!!!!!Hurray! 

Give try!!!
    Tuesday, February 09, 2010 4:59 AM

it worked!!!!!!!!Hurray! 

Give try!!!
    Tuesday, February 09, 2010 5:00 AM

it worked!!!!!!!!Hurray! 

Give try!!!
    Tuesday, February 09, 2010 5:00 AM

it worked!!!!!!!!Hurray! 

My problem with 
    (windows vista home basic) 

Give try!!!
    Tuesday, February 09, 2010 5:01 AM
  • Where is this hotfix?

z

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 12:10 AM
  • I have no unknown PCI device. Realtek HD is onboard the mobo.

I've tried uninstalling the Realtek HD driver and force feeding it the KB888111 drivers above, but Mic levels are still very low..........z

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 12:26 AM
  • That makes absolutely no sense.......If anybody can follow that, their last name is probably Einstein..........lol........z
    Wednesday, May 12, 2010 1:19 AM
  • might be worth takin a look at this!

http://www.ditii.com/2008/01/04/windows-xp-sp3-rc-hd-audio-fix/ 

Sunday, June 27, 2010 10:20 AM
  • had same problem but got solved when i upgraded to windows 7
    Monday, March 28, 2011 9:47 AM
  • Hi troubled241,

&

Regards,

Thomas

troubled241 wrote:

Thanks, Mr. Thomas, it worked !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! amazing
    Friday, July 13, 2012 2:32 PM