none
same computer with 2 different network names show up

Question

• When I look under Network in windows explorer one computer seems to be listed twice with different names.  The computers name is Gateway which shows up but there is also a Gateway-OC that shows up.  I changed the name of the computer to Hub but the Gateway-OC is still there and it shows all the files on the computer.  I scanned the computer for viruses, rebooted the machine, changed the name of the computer, and tried taking it out of one workgroup and putting it into it’s own, all with neg results.  I have Vista Home Premium, OneCare 2.0, and a HP MediaSmart Server (Windows Home Server) which I just got yesterday and this problem was there before.  Any help or ideas would be appreciated. 

Thursday, January 31, 2008 11:11 PM

All replies

• I have the same problem...  I have a duplicate Computer showing up with the suffix OC added...   When Sorting the computers on the Network Column, the OC computer shows up and can be hidden by checking my main network and leaving the "Unspecified" box unchecked. 

What is this all about?

Hue

Saturday, February 02, 2008 8:24 PM
  • Do you happen to know when it showed up?  It might be something to do with One Care (OC being One Care) but I don't know.  I'm getting ready to rebuild my machine to see if it comes back.  If it comes back I'll post when it did and what program I installed if it comes back.  Most likely I'll start rebuilding Tuesday.

Thanks,

Jay

Monday, February 04, 2008 12:22 AM
  • Ok, so I rebuilt my machine (it needed it anyway).  From what I could find, it has something to do with One Care.   Unfortunately I cannot say if the problem happened before or after I made the machine the Hub for One Care.  What I can say is that after I installed One Care and made it the Hub the –OC started to show up after the computer name.  If I remove it as the Hub in One Care the extra name still showed to show up, even on other machines.  Once I uninstall One Care the name goes away, however as soon as I reinstall One Care it comes back.  So I’m almost positive that it is a problem due to One Care.  I checked all the help files and looked at other threads for this problem and it did not show up.  If anyone can show me where to look for this problem please let me know.

Thank you,

Jay

Thursday, February 07, 2008 8:09 AM