none
Windows 7 Home Premium vs Professional (Student Pricing)

Question

• Hi,

I qualify for the student offer in Canada, and therefore I can get either Windows 7 Home Premium or Professional at the same price.  Is there any advantage in getting Home Premium over Professional?  As far as I know Professional has all the features of Home Premium and more.

I realize that if I have Vista Home Premium, I can do an in-place upgrade to Windows 7 Home Premium but not Professional.  However, I'm planning to do a custom install (reformat) anyway, so that is not an issue.

Thanks
    Friday, October 23, 2009 8:46 AM

Answers

• Hi Questioner

If you are planning on a custom install, I would most definitely get the Professional edition.

Here is a link to a good comparison of all the included features.

Windows 7 Product Editions: A Comparison

If your major is associated with technology, the extra IT Pro tools could come in handy.

Have Fun.

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Friday, October 23, 2009 9:36 AM

All replies

• Hi Questioner

If you are planning on a custom install, I would most definitely get the Professional edition.

Here is a link to a good comparison of all the included features.

Windows 7 Product Editions: A Comparison

If your major is associated with technology, the extra IT Pro tools could come in handy.

Have Fun.

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Friday, October 23, 2009 9:36 AM
  • Hello customer,

Comparing Windows 7 Professional with Home Premium, the main advantages are listed below.

Run many Windows XP productivity programs in Windows XP Mode. 

Connect to company networks easily and more securely with Domain Join.

In addition to full-system Backup and Restore found in all editions, you can back up to a home or business network.

Good luck!

Andy

Saturday, October 24, 2009 8:01 AM