none
Installing Windows 7: Freezes at "Expanding Windows files (21%)

Question

• I reviewed the answers that address the above issue and none of them describe what to do.

Should I reboot the computer? Should I just let is set there? How long should I wait? What is Microsoft's answer to this issue?

This is what I hate about Microsoft: they have NO customer support. None whatsoever.

I purchased this product on Friday to install over the weekend on my main computer. I do the Windows Adviser thing, remove the offensive software and put in the damn CD (or DvD). Then I go through the process and it hangs for several hours on the above message.

So, I naturally call Microsoft for customer support. What do they do? First, they "direct" me to their completely useless FAQ which does not address my issue whatsoever. Then, when I call them again, I'm told to "Call back during regular business hours." Of course, Microsoft doesn't tell you when those "regular business hours." Of course, they want to limit their calls to "regular business hours." Then, they can avoid people (like me) who work during the day. I can't stay home all day to call them to get my home computer working. 

Also, they don't tell you when those regular business hours are. So, even if I try to arrange my schedule to get free time during the day, they can be "closed" anyway.

THIS IS YOUR PRODUCT, MICROSOFT. YOU NEED TO BE MORE RESPONSIVE.

But, I know you won't. Just like with all the problems with Vista, you'll just ignore the problems.

I swear to God, the moment I make enough money, I'm switching to MAC OS. At least Apple responds to their customers. I had a problem with the Itunes program (which is free) and Apple Customer service had it working in a couple minutes.

Sunday, June 27, 2010 11:39 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I would like to confirm that how did you try to install Windows 7, Upgrade Install or Clean Install? Also, Please also collect the Setup log file for further research.

On the current situation, I suggest we go to take the following action:

1. Disable any security software before attempting to upgrade or do a clean install.

2. Disconnect any external devices before installing.

3. Update the BIOS, check integrity of the RAM, HDD & Disk.

Check your hard disk for any errors:

Click Start, type “CMD” in the Start Search box, from the results, right click CMD, click “Run as Administrator”

At the Command Prompt, type: chkdsk /r

If this is a Clean Install, try to install Windows 7 from a Flash drive.

If this is an Upgrade Install, try to repair the system files and perform a Clean Boot environment for upgrade.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Sabrina

Monday, June 28, 2010 9:09 AM

All replies

• i'm sorry to hear about your bad experience with MS customer support.

Most of the issues which arise during the isntalation or upgarde are due to hardware/driver issues or non-conform software that is already installed on the system. Since you ran the upgarde advisor, the latter should not be an issue.

Therefore I would recommend to start troubleshooting the hardware. Test the RAM (memory) of your computer using Windows Memory diagnostic and check the harddrive for errors using Win PE. Update all drivers to the latest version.

If this yields no succes, remove all not needed hardware from your computer prior to setup.

MCSA/MCTS/MCP
    Monday, June 28, 2010 8:52 AM
  • Hi,

I would like to confirm that how did you try to install Windows 7, Upgrade Install or Clean Install? Also, Please also collect the Setup log file for further research.

On the current situation, I suggest we go to take the following action:

1. Disable any security software before attempting to upgrade or do a clean install.

2. Disconnect any external devices before installing.

3. Update the BIOS, check integrity of the RAM, HDD & Disk.

Check your hard disk for any errors:

Click Start, type “CMD” in the Start Search box, from the results, right click CMD, click “Run as Administrator”

At the Command Prompt, type: chkdsk /r

If this is a Clean Install, try to install Windows 7 from a Flash drive.

If this is an Upgrade Install, try to repair the system files and perform a Clean Boot environment for upgrade.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Sabrina

Monday, June 28, 2010 9:09 AM
  • Its unfortunate that you received what you would consider "bad" customer service.  I have had the issue you are referring too, and my HW was top notch.  I pained through the process of testing all the HW, before I realized I had a bad disc.  now, I assume you have a retail copy, I would strongly recommend returning your media for a new disc. 

Just FYI, its my understanding that once setup starts expanding files, that they are pretty much already copied over, but there could have been an error in copying the files initially.

If I am wrong, please correct me :-)

Network Systems Engineer * Zvetco Biometrics * Windows Server 2008 R2 * Core2 6600 @ 3.30GHz * 16 GIGS RAM * NVIDIA 9400GT * ** " Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Wednesday, July 07, 2010 3:45 PM