none
Having the Black Screen of Death + crcdisk.sys error on Thinkpad T400

Question

• I'm sure some of you have heard of this problem before (at least I hope!)

I've been leaving my T400 on 24/7 for the past month. Last night it restarted on its own because Windows decided it wanted to help me install some updates. This might be the cause of my problem, but I'm sure. Anyways, read on.

I was using my T400 at around 7pm tonight and when I browsed to the networked computers, Vista froze - first everything but the cursor, and when I got pissed and pressed the mouse a few times, the cursor froze as well. Powered the machine off.

Powered it on again, and found it spent a long time on the green ribbon booting up Vista - must've been about 2-3 minutes. Then, I got to the black screen with a movable cursor. Ctrl+Alt+Del did nothing, I tried to get sticky keys open (read forums) but the sticky keys diaglog box would not show up. Powered off again.

Tried to boot into safe mode, and it halts after loading crcdisk.sys for around a minute, then loads the same black screen with the movable cursor. I tried both Safe Mode, and Safe mode with networking. I have NOT tried "Last good configuration" because I'm not able to get to the Advanced Boot menu even after F8-ing - it would only give me the normal boot menu

I downloaded the Vista Recovery CD (~120mb) from another computer and booted it onto my T400, and selected "Repair my Computer". Vista found no errors, and I had no previous system restore points or system backups to restore from. I deleted sptd.sys (read forums again) from Windows/System32/Driver but no luck there either.

What people HAVE recommend and I have not yet tried are:

- remove to only one stick of RAM (I am running 3GB, 1x2GB and 1x1GB of DDR3)
    - run chkdsk /f c:

Right now I pulled up Lenovo's Rescue and Recovery and doing diagnostics on the hard drive - will probably take a good couple hours to complete. My hard drive is a "Fujitsu MHZ2250GH GI ATA Device".

Any ideas how I should approach this? I hate the fact that there is no inplace repair option for Vista like there was for XP, otherwise that would've been my first plan of action. I want to avoid reformatting if possible.

Thanks guys!Having the Black Screen of Death + crcdisk.sys error on T400
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 3:08 AM

Answers

•  

Hi,

According to your problem description, you might try the following steps to narrow down the cause of the issue.

Use the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) to run System Restore

1. Insert the Windows Vista installation disc into the disc drive, and then start the computer. 

2. Press a key when the message indicating "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …". appears.

3. Select a language, a time and currency, and a keyboard or input method, and then click Next

4. Click Repair your computer

5. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, choose the drive of your Windows installation and click Next 

6. At the System Recovery Options Dialog Box, click on System Restore.

7. Follow the System Restore Wizard instruction as usual and choose the appropriate restore point.

8. Click Finish to restore the system.

Startup Repair from the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE)

1. Insert the Windows Vista installation disc into the disc drive, and then start the computer. 

2. Press a key when the message indicating "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …". appears.

3. Select a language, a time and currency, and a keyboard or input method, and then click Next

4. Click Repair your computer

5. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, choose the drive of your Windows installation and click Next

6. At the System Recovery Options Dialog Box, click on Repair your computer.

7. (Click the operating system that you want to repair), and then click Next.

8. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Startup Repair.

Hope it helps!

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Friday, March 20, 2009 11:02 AM
    Friday, March 13, 2009 2:02 PM