none
How to deactivate TrustedInstaller user control?

Question

• I just upgraded from Vista to 7 and there is a Windows.old file taking a lot of space from my hard drive. I tried to delete it but it says: Access denied; Need permission from TrustedInstaller.
    Can i de-activate that so i can delete Windows.old?
    Sunday, March 08, 2009 7:45 AM

Answers

• TheRedOne said:

It doesn't show the files. But thanks anyways!

Hi

Are you sure about this? 

There should be an option called Previous Windows installations in the list of folders to remove in the Disk Cleanup tool.

When you start the Disk Cleanup tool, you may need to select the Clean up system files button at the bottom of the dialog box, this is a new option in Windows 7.

Changes to ownership involving the TrustedInstaller on any system folder can result in some very unexpected behavior that could potentially require you to perform a clean installation of the operating system to recover.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for testing Windows 7 Beta

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    • Marked as answer by TheRedOne Sunday, March 08, 2009 11:30 PM
    • Marked as answer by TheRedOne Sunday, March 08, 2009 11:31 PM
    • Marked as answer by TheRedOne Sunday, March 08, 2009 11:35 PM
    Sunday, March 08, 2009 7:31 PM

All replies

• You should be able to remove it with the disk cleanup tool.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/933212

Kerry Brown MS-MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
    Sunday, March 08, 2009 2:56 PM
  • It doesn't show the files. But thanks anyways!
    Sunday, March 08, 2009 3:18 PM
  • TheRedOne said:

Hi

Are you sure about this? 

There should be an option called Previous Windows installations in the list of folders to remove in the Disk Cleanup tool.

When you start the Disk Cleanup tool, you may need to select the Clean up system files button at the bottom of the dialog box, this is a new option in Windows 7.

Changes to ownership involving the TrustedInstaller on any system folder can result in some very unexpected behavior that could potentially require you to perform a clean installation of the operating system to recover.

Hope this helps.

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    • Marked as answer by TheRedOne Sunday, March 08, 2009 11:30 PM
    • Marked as answer by TheRedOne Sunday, March 08, 2009 11:31 PM
    • Marked as answer by TheRedOne Sunday, March 08, 2009 11:35 PM
    Sunday, March 08, 2009 7:31 PM
  • Oh, it works, i didn't have it right. Thanks a lot, removing ownership for each file individually was very long.
    Sunday, March 08, 2009 11:32 PM
  •  Lol, I'm new here; it's my first question and i'm on IE 8. I tought it was some bug and i tried more then once to change it.
    Monday, March 09, 2009 1:32 AM
  • TheRedOne said:

Hi

Are you sure about this? 

Hope this helps.

Ronnie Vernon MVP

oh gosh, I'm a victim!

I just changed ownership from Trustedinstaller to me on svhost.exe and now windows doesn't even display my desktop... all I have is a mouse on a blank, black screen... I denied permission to trustedinstaller.... so my only option is to clean install?
    Friday, February 19, 2010 4:44 AM