none
2008 C++ Redistributable change installation directory

Question

• I have looked at all similar items in the forum but found nothing applicable.

I have no problems using vcredist_x86.exe to install but I need to install it to a different installation directory.  I uninstall the 2008  C++ Redistribution package and then install it again.  It puts the files back to the old (unwanted) directory, it never asks for an install directory again.  How can I get the installer to ask for an installation directory again?

Monday, February 27, 2012 9:32 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Based on my test, the only path you can see should be the process of Extracting Files.

And in the process of setup, we cannot see the path.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, March 05, 2012 9:27 AM
  • If you want to choose the directory manually, you can run this command “ your file location /x”, such as,

It will let you choose the directory.

Please note, you can only choose the directory for Extracting Files and it is not the directory of installation. The only directory of installation must be WinSxS folder which is in Windows Partition.

Hope this helps.

Monday, March 05, 2012 9:31 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Firstly, please let us know why you need to install the 2008 C++ Redistribution package to a different installation directory.

Referring to this article http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=5582, we can see “This package installs runtime components of C Runtime (CRT), Standard C++, ATL, MFC, OpenMP and MSDIA libraries. For libraries that support side-by-side deployment model (CRT, SCL, ATL, MFC, OpenMP) they are installed into the native assembly cache, also called WinSxS folder, on versions of Windows operating system that support side-by-side assemblies.”

Therefore, the package must be installed in the Windows partition.

Hope this helps.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 10:10 AM
  • When I first installed 2008 C++ Redistribution package it made a mistake and told the installer to place it at "E:\".  This is not good especially since I can no longer make the installer put it anywhere else.

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 10:39 PM
  • Hi,

Based on my test, the only path you can see should be the process of Extracting Files.

And in the process of setup, we cannot see the path.

Monday, March 05, 2012 9:27 AM
  • If you want to choose the directory manually, you can run this command “ your file location /x”, such as,

It will let you choose the directory.

Please note, you can only choose the directory for Extracting Files and it is not the directory of installation. The only directory of installation must be WinSxS folder which is in Windows Partition.

Hope this helps.

Monday, March 05, 2012 9:31 AM