none
WinPE hangs at wpeinit

General discussion

• I followed the instructions at http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsVista/en/library/fe9e1637-d167-4e6d-ae35-9987ba88eb651033.mspx?mfr=true

to create a WinPE bootable usb key and it seems to hang when it opens X:\windows\system32\wpeinit

What I am trying to do is create a bootable key so that I can install Vista off of an install image that has a bad boot img. The DVD works for installs off of previous WinVista/Xp installs but I'm trying to install Vista on to a new drive without a pre-existing OS on it.

Comptuer has 1.5GB of memory and the USB key is 512 (with 250mb or so used).  It is also a AMD 64bit CPU on it as will the machine I will be installing Vista on.

I downloaded the Windows AIK onto a WinXP machine and formatted the USB key on an existing Vista machine and used the amd64 files.

What can i check for to see why it just hangs at the wpeinit ? The title of the window is X:\windows\system32\cmd.exe - startnet.cmd if that helps any.

I've tried recreating this USB WinPE key 4 times formatting it each time with diskpart.

Any help is greatly apreciated!

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 7:54 PM

All replies

• Quick question,

Is the image your trying to pull down on the network somewhere? or on a DVD?

Reason I ask is I wonder if it's a network thing where it can't establish a connection to the deployment share.

can you manually connect to the share? (net use)

Joel
    Thursday, May 08, 2008 5:38 PM
  • I am doing the same thing.  I have the same problem. it hangs at same place. I am deploying from a DVD.  There should be some commands to go forward but I just can't find them... any suggestions?

Friday, October 03, 2008 7:38 PM