none
Steam games - GMOD, CCS, HL2, TF2 compatability issues

Question

• Seem to be having lots of issues with Steam games. Looking on the steam forums seems lots of people are having issues. Seem to be mostly graphics related.

My son is actually begging me to go back to Vista because he can't play his steam games (you can stop laughing now :-)

Short of reinstalling everything, is anyone aware of any solution to address problems with steam/valve games.

The systems are I7-920, 4gb DDR3 RAM @1600mhz, on GA-EX58-UD3R mobo, Gigabyte GTX260 graphics, Windows 7 Ultimate x64. Of course, I've loaded the latest video drivers, updated both mobo and graphics firmwares, and tried ending uneeded services when running (in case of conflicts).

Games that we are having compatability proglems with are

Counter Strike Source
    Gary's Mod
    Team Fortress 2
    Half Life 2
    Portal
    Thursday, December 03, 2009 10:07 PM

All replies

• what issues?  My son is running windows 7 with nvidia 8800gts with the  195.62 drivers with no problems... Older drivers caused lockups.  I have no issues on windows 7 with Steam with ati 4870 with cat 9.11 drivers.
    Friday, December 04, 2009 2:24 AM
  • Issues are that the games say preparing to start/load. The hard disk chugs for a while, then the screen goes black.

Sometimes going back to the desktop and clicking on the game works, and sometime it just returns you to a black screen.

I've now updated to the latest 195 nvidia drivers. Made no difference. Checked firmware on card; has the latest.

Screen is a 22" Philips (221E1HSB), connected via HDMI to a Gigabyte GTX260 card. System is Win 7 Ult x64 with 4gb ram.

I tried this on my system, which runs dual Benq 24" monitors, one connected by HDMI and the other by DVI. Same issues regardless which monitor I use as primary, so I don't think it's a monitor issue.

I then installed the games on my test system which has a clean install of Win 7 ULT x64, and no other applications. This runs an 8800GT video card, with 3gb DDR2 RAM (all other systems are DDR3), and E5300 CPU. Exactly the same symptoms.
    Tuesday, December 08, 2009 9:32 AM