none
Computer Description in Network (neighbourhood)

Question

• In the new network explorer window (what would have been called network neighbourhood in days gone by)

you can no longer sort, or even see the local computer description fields. We (like many other organisations) name our workstations dellabc123 etc, and rely on the computer description to identify the computer for a given user. instead you can now view 'name', 'category', 'workgroup', 'network location' and 'discovery method' -all of which are pretty much useless to an end user, but not the description

does anyone know a.) why this was removed b.) if there is a suggested alternative c.) how to make a sneaky amendment to bring back this functionality

this is the case on vista 6.0.6000 (enterprise) and exists on build 5600 also - looks like its permanent

best regards,

nick

Monday, December 11, 2006 5:15 PM

All replies

• Once you single click on any network computer, you can see details of it down of the window. That's it!
    Good luck
    Friday, December 15, 2006 10:00 PM
  • ahmhdy,

that dosent show you any more information than the standard view!

vista still allows you to enter a description in the computer properties, but single clicking on the machine does not show the description.

in other words the description field on the computer properties is now useless. am i mad, or can anyone see the problems this will cause?

Monday, December 18, 2006 10:30 AM
  • I'm having the same problem. Our computers have cryptic names, and in previous versions we identified the computers by the computer description. Vista now no longer allows to sort (or even show) the computer description in network neighborhood.

Questions:
    - Is there any reason for this behaviour?
    - Can this problem be worked around?

Thanks,
    Thomas
    Monday, February 19, 2007 1:33 PM
  • Has anyone found an answer to this yet?

All of our PC's are named by their serial number and then we use the computer description (the only field that can be changed remotely through computer management) to identify current users.  As it stands I can't find my users! I'm having to use an XP machine to find them, hardly the greatest way to silence the Vista sceptics in my office.

Wednesday, March 07, 2007 1:24 PM
  • I'm also experiencing this problem, so am looking for a solution.
    Wednesday, March 07, 2007 6:43 PM
  • I just bought my first Windows Vista Business computer for a user.  That is the first thing that drove me nuts, because like the others, thats how I identify my users.  I keep the computer name related to purchase date and then change the description (user's name) if I give the computer to someone else.  I'm hessitant to change the computer name.  Hopefully there will be a solution.

Good luck!

Tuesday, March 13, 2007 4:55 PM
  • Hi Ahmed,  I assume from your words (which are a little confusing), you mean by turning on the Detail pain under Organize.  Unfortunately, I still can not figure out how to display the Computer Description that the other contributors are mentioning.  Is this not available for display in Windows Explorer in Vista?

Thursday, May 03, 2007 11:34 PM
  • Ever get an answer on this?

Monday, February 25, 2008 11:21 PM
  •  ahmhdy wrote:
    Once you single click on any network computer, you can see details of it down of the window. That's it!
    Good luck

This guy is the same one who claimed that UAC was causing local and network transfers to crawl on vista, he knows nothing about anything. How he got a job as M$ is a mystery to me. Anyways try this forum thread it might help you guys;

http://forums.microsoft.com/technet/showpost.aspx?postid=1185469&siteid=17&sb=0&d=1&at=7&ft=11&tf=0&pageid=25
    Tuesday, February 26, 2008 6:18 AM
  • I was never able to get this working natively on my Vista64 box.  However you can create a shortcut in XP and copy it to Vista and it works great.

Open My Network Places on a XP machine and expand Entire Network and MS Windows Network.  Then drag your Domain to your desktop creating a shortcut.  Finally copy that shortcut to your Vista box, double click and see the description in details view!

• Proposed as answer by zbomb33 Monday, April 11, 2011 1:45 PM
    Thursday, April 17, 2008 2:33 PM
  • Thanks Rico Dog, your workaround works for me and it was good thinking on your part. Another MS Vista annoyance put to bed!

Friday, April 18, 2008 9:40 AM
  • After searching around a bit for that, I finally found that using the good old "net view" from a command prompt works fine in Vista to get the description field.

Still it's a same Microsoft dropped that field in the GUI. Any network admin that had staff rotations decided one day or the other to use station name unrelated to users... Thats why the description field was so helpful. I hope someone will wakeup there and fix this thing in a next Service Pack.

Francis

Friday, November 14, 2008 4:15 PM