none
Apps Don't work in Windows 8.1 - Tried nearly every advice website

Question

• Microsoft wants us to use our Microsoft Account in Windows 8.1 and to download apps from the store.  99% of my Windows Apps do nothing. The apps open and then minimize. The window can be seen in the upper left of the screen but nothing ever happens. The only apps that work are the Store and the Weather Channel. I have created a new Microsoft Account just to use the gaming apps such as Minesweeper. It did not help the situation. 

The entertaining part of this is that there seems to be absolutely no debug or error information to determine what the problem might be. At least with desktop apps there is likely to be something such as an error window or an event. If there is a debug or error log it is well hidden and not publicized.

BTW, I have tried nearly every site and forum that discusses this problem. I have followed the advice given but nothing helps. I have installed the latest Flash player and java on all three browsers: IE, Firefox and Chrome. Did not help. I uninstalled the AMD device drivers for my video card and I'm using whatever driver Win8.1 installs. Did not help.

This is hilarious and ironic. How are we supposed to believe it is a good idea to use these apps? In Win8 before upgrading to Win8.1 my apps were working. I was one of the few who actually liked the Metro interface. No more. Not until this mystery gets solved.

Monday, January 27, 2014 1:47 AM

All replies

• I sense that the universe could be trying to tell you something about Metro/Modern.  :-)

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my eBooks:  

Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options
    Configure The Windows 8 "To Work" Options

Monday, January 27, 2014 4:00 AM
  • WHERE IS MICROSOFT ON THIS SIGNIFICANT ISSUE! THEY SEEM TO HAVE ABANDONED THEIR USERS. Finally we see the back of Steve Ballmer but where is the new CEO and Bill Gates the new - Technical Advisor! -- to a company that seems bound and determined to alienate its user base. It ignores everyday users and develops screens that a programmer would like -- just like Lotus in the old days - It did wonders for their sales eh!. Remember the development of Windows and all the user consultations - now users seem like a big pain in the ass to Microsoft.

Bill, you are still the face of Microsoft ---- This has gone on long enough. What is MS doing?

Tuesday, March 04, 2014 1:22 AM