none
Windows 7 want to run IPv6 rather then IPV4?

Question

• Hi,

I´ve got win7 clients in an Windows2003 domain.

When I installed a Win2008 server R2 and configured it to be DHCP; all clients experienced problems with the network.
    The client could not connect to any resources outside the subnet, and could not ping at all (not on IP or DNS).

So; I deactivated the scope and reactivated the scope on the "old" DHCP-server (Win2003) = everything works fine....
    The only differce between these two sopes are that the one on the Win2008R2 is configured with IPV6 option.

Could that be the reason? Windows 7 takes the IPV6 settings if they are avalible instead of IPv4 settings?

//Got to love it!
    Monday, November 01, 2010 7:04 AM

Answers

• Windows 7 takes the IPV6 settings if they are avalible instead of IPv4 settings?

Hi IsaServer,

Yes, Windows 7/2008 R2 uses IPv6 in favor over IPv4. Most OS's does this as default. Even Windows server 2003/XP does it if you install IPv6 support.

Kind regards Tim Nilimaa IT Consultant at Mindgrape (Sweden) Please remember to mark this answer as helpful if it helped you.
    • Marked as answer by IsaServer Friday, November 05, 2010 7:23 AM
    Monday, November 01, 2010 9:15 AM

All replies

• Windows 7 takes the IPV6 settings if they are avalible instead of IPv4 settings?

Hi IsaServer,

Yes, Windows 7/2008 R2 uses IPv6 in favor over IPv4. Most OS's does this as default. Even Windows server 2003/XP does it if you install IPv6 support.

Kind regards Tim Nilimaa IT Consultant at Mindgrape (Sweden) Please remember to mark this answer as helpful if it helped you.
    • Marked as answer by IsaServer Friday, November 05, 2010 7:23 AM
    Monday, November 01, 2010 9:15 AM

Hi IsaServer,

Ok, that explains the problem. Thank you.
    //Got to love it!
    Friday, November 05, 2010 7:23 AM