none
Random delayed printing to network printers

Question

• We have been experiencing random delays in printing output (sometimes over 30 minutes) to several or our network printers since we upgraded to Windows 7. The behavior is random and often clears itself without intervention but it's extremely disruptive to our users. Some users reported that restarting their computers will "release" the print jobs. I myself only experienced the issue once and I could see that the print jobs were listed on the local queue for the network printer but not on the queue for that printer on the print server. This happens to different printers and different models but a quick breakdown would be:

Dell printers - several models

HP Printers - several models

Dell Optiplex computers: 745, 755, 760 and 780s

Pings come back with no apparent delay:

Pinging 147.138.20.61 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 147.138.20.61: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=254

Reply from 147.138.20.61: bytes=32 time=6ms TTL=254

Print spool services appear to be working. It's almost like the the computer can't talk to the print server for a while but the behavior is too random for us to determine a way to systematically reproduce it. Before we switched to Windows 7 we never experienced this behavior.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thursday, December 02, 2010 3:27 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Did this issue occur with all Windows 7 PC? To narrow down this issue, I suggest connect these printer directly with Windows 7 to see if the same issue occurs.

Also please make sure the driver of printer is compatible with Windows 7.

And this issue can be caused by your printer server, I suggest you asking Windows Server Forum for further help:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windowsserver

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us.  Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, December 06, 2010 5:05 AM