none
Windows 7 Registry Fix?

Question

• Hi,
    I have a few registry errors associated with Explorer File Extension, as I belive the change came after Live Essentials Installation, anyone could help (cannot be deleted)?

COM/ActiveX(2 errors)
    HKCR\ehGLIDPlugINUDCR\
    HKCR\ehGLID.GLIDPlugINUDCR.1\

File type associations:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.vcf\
                                                                                                      \.wms\
                                                                                                      \.eml\
                                                                                                      \.cda\
                                                                                                      \.wmd\
                                                                                                      \.wmz\

Monday, September 14, 2009 10:24 AM

Answers

• Hi I.V.,

I also downloaded Live Essentials but could not see the remaining two extensions viz. .vcf and .eml.

I also checked for the Default values of other four ( .wms, .cda, .wmd, .wmz) and the values were present. I hope this is not compatibility issue.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Shruti

Wednesday, September 30, 2009 3:38 PM

All replies

• Hi I.V.,

This forum is for windows 7 Application Compatibility. However, I also checked in my Windows 7 machine (doesn't have Live Essential), I was able to see some of the FileExts but not all as mentioned in your list. I was able to see the following types:-

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.wms\
                                                                                                       \.cda\
                                                                                                       \.wmd\
                                                                                                       \.wmz\

I hope this helps. In the meantime, I'll try to get some insight on the issue.

Thanks,

Shruti

Tuesday, September 15, 2009 6:13 PM
  • Hi Shruti,

.vcf/
    .eml/ comes from Live Essentials (.eml is the extension from email) and all mentioned lost their default values when installed Live Essentials, as I belive the Visual C++ changed the default values, in fact didn't give any values for any of the registries mentioned.

Might be an Application Compatibility issue.
    Sorry I've seen no registry forum, I was thinking about Security forum but could have got an answer with the default values. 
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 7:42 PM
  • Hi I.V.,

I also downloaded Live Essentials but could not see the remaining two extensions viz. .vcf and .eml.

I also checked for the Default values of other four ( .wms, .cda, .wmd, .wmz) and the values were present. I hope this is not compatibility issue.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Shruti

Wednesday, September 30, 2009 3:38 PM
  • You can get rid of most of those (wms, cda, wmd, wmz) by using:

Default Programs, Set a file type or protocol with a specific extension, and then search for the extension.  Even if the extension is associated with the correct program, just double click it anyway.

Doc

Thursday, October 01, 2009 4:47 PM
  • Hello, I have the same registery issues as you and yet I do not have those programs installed.  This happens on the install.  If you do a fresh install and then run the scanner you will see it there.

These are my only errors

hkcr\ehglid.glidpluginudcr.1\
    hkcr\ehglid.glidpluginudc\

Can this befixed

These are install of windows 7 issues with the registery.

Just wondering do you have a SSD drive.  And is your system installed on the solid state drive?
    Thursday, December 03, 2009 9:59 AM
  • Hello, I have the same registery issues as you and yet I do not have those programs installed.  This happens on the install.  If you do a fresh install and then run the scanner you will see it there.

These are my only errors

hkcr\ehglid.glidpluginudcr.1\
    hkcr\ehglid.glidpluginudc\

Can this befixed

These are install of windows 7 issues with the registery.

Just wondering do you have a SSD drive.  And is your system installed on the solid state drive?

Hi,
    No I don't have a SSD drive, to be honest I have a fresh install of Win 7 at the moment and none of the registry above or those that I mentioned on this thread are indicated as errors in fact I didn't even check to see if still present, that's because I gave up using Live Essentials for the moment, but there are a few more errors which I can fix them associating the file type but so far the PC does not present any sign of preformance impact or similar issues.
    Regards
    Thursday, December 03, 2009 10:13 AM
  • you can just use only the scanner
    Friday, December 04, 2009 8:06 AM
  • you can just use only the scanner

:)Use to from time to time, I am about to install an antivirus soft but so far I used the scanner and antivirus but soesn't seem to be efficient, there use to be even in the past some registry the scanner doesn't fix them, detects their presence daily but cannot fix them:)
    Thanks anyway  
    Friday, December 04, 2009 8:21 AM
  • On Mon, 11 Jul 2011 09:17:55 +0000, pctech33 wrote:

The Registry Optimizer tool of the Smart PC Care utility comes with Backup and Restore options. You can take a backup of the entire registry before the invalid data references are cleaned and restore them in case of any problem.

I strongly recommend against this and any similar program.

Registry cleaning programs (and any other fast fix-whatever-is wrong
    type programs) are all snake oil. Cleaning of the registry isn't
    needed and is dangerous. Leave the registry alone and don't use any
    registry cleaner. Despite what many people think, and what vendors of
    registry cleaning software try to convince you of, having unused
    registry entries doesn't really hurt you.
    The risk of a serious problem caused by a registry cleaner erroneously
    removing an entry you need is far greater than any potential benefit
    it may have.
    Read http://www.edbott.com/weblog/archives/000643.html

and http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099

and also
    http://blogs.technet.com/markrussinovich/archive/2005/10/02/registry-junk-a-windows-fact-of-life.aspx

Let me point out that neither I nor anyone else who warns against the
    use of registry cleaners has ever said that they always cause
    problems. If they always caused problems, they would disappear from
    the market almost immediately. Many people have used a registry
    cleaner and never had a problem with it.

Rather, the problem with a registry cleaner is that it carries with it
    the substantial risk of having a problem. And since there is no
    benefit to using a registry cleaner, running that risk is a very bad
    bargain.

Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP
    Monday, July 11, 2011 5:43 PM
  • Well Ken,

Maybe you can help me, I cannot run any of the new Win 7 .Net and XNL updates in Windows Update. tried every trick I could lay my hands on in this forum and elsewhere. Also, tried the various DOS commands to reset. No luck. Cannot even do an update to my new Dragon Dictate software.

Keep getting errors about registry permissions etc. You got any ideas for me? This is my second full clean install on a NEW HDD with Win 7, then Office 2010, then all my other apps, and same as the old one, at some point, MS Registry decides the permissions need "fixing" No idea what the trigger is, but it does seem to be after a Windows Update....

Paul

Thursday, September 08, 2011 11:43 PM
  • Are there no legitimate ways to fix a wumbled up registry in Windows 7?  I fully understand the need for caution when using any of the many registry "repair" tools being sold but surely Microsoft has something for Windows 7 that can help customers repair errors now that Windows Live One Care registry cleaner is no longer available - or is the only way to fix registry errors in Windows 7 to reinstall the OS from scratch?

Thanks,

Bill

Wednesday, December 28, 2011 8:12 PM
  • Are there no legitimate ways to fix a wumbled up registry in Windows 7?  I fully understand the need for caution when using any of the many registry "repair" tools being sold but surely Microsoft has something for Windows 7 that can help customers repair errors now that Windows Live One Care registry cleaner is no longer available - or is the only way to fix registry errors in Windows 7 to reinstall the OS from scratch?

Thanks,

Bill

I think that is one of the purposes of booting to last known good configuration.  There are backups of the registry hives and that is what Windows uses when you select the last know good configuration.

Other than that, I guess a reinstall is the only other option.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Wednesday, December 28, 2011 8:36 PM
  • I realize this is an old thread...But for future surfers looking for answers:

Cleaning of the registry isn't
    needed and is dangerous. Leave the registry alone and don't use any
    registry cleaner. Despite what many people think, and what vendors of
    registry cleaning software try to convince you of, having unused
    registry entries doesn't really hurt you.

I don't agree with most of this.

Using an automated cleaner is only dangerous if it's fixing things without asking you about it first.
    In instances like WinDoctor(old, I know), you get a list of potential issues, and can select what to fix, and what to leave alone.
    As long as you have some sort of knowledge about what you're doing, you'll be able to ignore the ones you know should be left alone.
    Also, any tech worth their salt would be making backups before modifications/cleanup anyways, nullifying any fear instilled by doomsdayers like you.

Gummed up registries, and gobs of unused entries cause performance hits, as well as malfunction of applications (among other things), even in todays multi core, tons of RAM environments.
    I often hear of people saying otherwise, but in my 12+ yrs in IT, I've seen enough benefit to say that it's worth keeping your registry clean, and typically write those people off as 'green'.
    A quick and easy example is broken links in Outlook after a botched (and sometimes even 'successful') uninstall of a 3rd party browser (FF, Chrome***, etc.).
    While Microsoft has issued a 'fix it' patch that can be run from their site (and what do you suppose that does? it modifies the registry), the proof that 'unused' entries can cause problems is still there.

Friday, December 07, 2012 3:46 PM
  • Hi,

When your computer have a broken registry it start behaving abnormally. If you want to fix up the registry issue you different way to fix it. You can use PC error fix to sort out any sort of PC related issues.  I am sharing a post with you it will surely help you to fix the registry file

http://www.pcerror-fix.com/detect-fix-registry-errors

Thursday, August 14, 2014 9:45 AM