none
Windows 7 - System Restore and files permissions

Question

• Hi Team

Recently I created a new account additional to my own account. This new account is only for use some applications but cant see my info placed in a specific partition of the hdd.

I did the permission setting, but, by mistake selected the My_PC/Users and disable the total access. System advised me that this could include my own administrator account in case that was in the same group. Apparently was well, because after that, i cant see the info on my partition and the only way that i can obtain back my files is that change the permissions again but now, some files don't let to change the permissions and i don't have access to them.

My question is, Is possible that System Restore utility, could restore the file permissions as was before it? There is not a point of restoration immediately prior to this change, but there is some other point of restoration previously.

In case that this is not possible, please let me know other way in order to get access to my files

I'm using yet the release RC1, but i dont want to install the last version until fix this issue.

Regards and blessings.

Monday, September 14, 2009 12:41 PM

Answers

• Hi Raul,

I cannot get to the same situation as screenshot listed. Thus if we still cannot fix the issue, please try to provide the steps you did on these files so that I can redo them to get the same result.

At current situation, I would like to confirm with you:

1. The user account you created ("created a new account additional to my own account") is an administrator account or not.

2. The user accuont we are using now (which get the screenshot you attached) is the new created account or not. If not, is it an administrator account?

I suggest that let's use an administrator account to do the steps I provided above. We can even create a new administrator account to do these steps.

In addition, for this screenshot (Screenshot3):

http://upiujw.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p9M81e5qlNmEJKLGDZ9gRSsr-T7UMNpMKUGygKzZoHkG597qCB0qQBgSHGn5PAFIopjtfDpp1F6MxWmlstoKlAw

What will happen if we highlight Doggito and click OK?

Also for this screenshot (Screenshot1):

http://upiujw.bay.livefilestore.com/y1puukHoLLbdt8TtjXNv697JbyA-Q-G3F0RBlfbKOpZOJd96yNLZBCiXAFtPE8cEUCbhiLUAyHNMizrZS6oEGCpuw

If we click Continue, it will go to the Screenshot 3? Please re-check this as it should not directly go to the owner tab.

Wednesday, September 16, 2009 5:52 AM
  • Hi Shaon,

After many attempts, the problem was the same, but after tried with a little application that a peer shared with me (TakeOwnership) the issue was solved.

Apparently I was wrong, due on screenshoot 3, I selected the wrong account, I was selecting "Administrators (Doggito-PC\Administrators)" instead my own user name "Doggito (Doggito-PC\Doggito)"

After ran TakeOwnership in the first 4 files, tried to use the normal path and after select my user account, the problem was fixed.

I want to give thanks to you for all your help in the resolution of this problem.

Now I'm ready to install the Final Windows 7 version.

God bless you and keep doing an excelent support!!!

Regards.

Raul.
    • Marked as answer by Raul Co Thursday, September 17, 2009 11:38 AM
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 11:38 AM

All replies

• Hi, Restore to any point before you made the mistake. It should restore the user permissions and any other changes made after the restore point. Slan go foill, Paul
    Monday, September 14, 2009 6:03 PM
  • Thx, btw is Raul.. I'll try this tonight.
    Monday, September 14, 2009 6:15 PM
  • Hi,

Please try the Restore to see the result.

Meanwhile, if we removed all permission on a file, the account which create the file can still able to take ownership of that file to get it back.

To do this, right click on the file, choose Properties. Go to Permission Tab, click Advanced. Find Owner tab, click Edit --- highlight your user account, check the box "replace owner on subcontainers and objects" and click OK.
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 2:43 AM
  • Well,

I did all this but issue was the same.

I've more than 3,000 files but only some jpg and some mp3 files have this issue (aprox 35 files). I'm working just in one of them but all have the same behavior.

Thx for your support.

Tuesday, September 15, 2009 11:57 AM
  • Hi,

Please find a file in problem, right click --- Properties --- Security tab. Let me know the content in the box.

Let's click Edit --- Add, add Everyone to the list. Remember check "Full Control" before click OK. This should allow us to access the file.

If still failed, please provide a screenshot of the Properties --- Security --- Advanced --- Permissions tab. You can upload the screenshot to skydrive.live.com --- Public folder and provide the link of the screenshot here.
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 2:34 AM
  • Done,

Doesn't works, so, here are the pictures

Please find a file in problem, right click --- Properties --- Security tab. Let me know the content in the box.
    http://fw1f9g.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pS0WKfKTXjcXNr95JNZ5nGPO26Q9qGR3q1_1acx3CYYcO4gnCEPt8-my3wuLXhg8vEf9dTfylS3DZC-2qBTd-TaMl4MHcWJq1/error-01.jpg

Let's click Edit --- Add, add Everyone to the list. Remember check "Full Control" before click OK. This should allow us to access the file.
    I can't do this.

If still failed, please provide a screenshot of the Properties --- Security --- Advanced --- Permissions tab.
    http://fw1f9g.bay.livefilestore.com/y1psgJiKgAZvpG9c5EkMUM2WVMbIgOHpYmDC8LdIEXRd7IoGRn0MPOB3AH2YIyyPY01vbFL7nyRQOv85RwGV4Dwd6kZXp2CMMGA/error-02.jpg

In both occasions, after click on Continue button, the screen that appear was this,
    http://fw1f9g.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p7-HmYfH9_pNG-EtPXeH7ar-9CUPZ9kLHyFLbFWb1bFJGKmj34Um3HaFXMF7b3u-Xp3Tn9ORNwLv3dgT0XEW8dAxy64GnXU0s/error-03.jpg

I really appreciate all your effort with this problem.

Regards and blessings.
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 3:25 AM
  • Hi Raul,

I cannot get to the same situation as screenshot listed. Thus if we still cannot fix the issue, please try to provide the steps you did on these files so that I can redo them to get the same result.

At current situation, I would like to confirm with you:

1. The user account you created ("created a new account additional to my own account") is an administrator account or not.

2. The user accuont we are using now (which get the screenshot you attached) is the new created account or not. If not, is it an administrator account?

I suggest that let's use an administrator account to do the steps I provided above. We can even create a new administrator account to do these steps.

http://upiujw.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p9M81e5qlNmEJKLGDZ9gRSsr-T7UMNpMKUGygKzZoHkG597qCB0qQBgSHGn5PAFIopjtfDpp1F6MxWmlstoKlAw

http://upiujw.bay.livefilestore.com/y1puukHoLLbdt8TtjXNv697JbyA-Q-G3F0RBlfbKOpZOJd96yNLZBCiXAFtPE8cEUCbhiLUAyHNMizrZS6oEGCpuw

If we click Continue, it will go to the Screenshot 3? Please re-check this as it should not directly go to the owner tab.

Wednesday, September 16, 2009 5:52 AM
  • 1. The user account you created ("created a new account additional to my own account") is an administrator account or not.

A. No, is not an administrator account (the name was "Invitado", but after the problem that I has, I deleted it)

A. No, is not the new account created. Yes, is my account with administrator rights (Doggito).

A. Nothing, just returned to the previous screen but don't change the owner.

A. Yes, the screen that appear is the Screenshot 3.

I'll try to create a new administrator account in order to test with. If you have any suggestion , just let me know it.

Regards and blessings.

Raul.
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 12:01 PM
  • Hi Raul,

I'm trying to get the same issue. If available, please let me know the exact permission change you made when using the acount Invitado, such as "Deny full control on Users group", "delete all permission accounts and groups" etc.
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 2:39 AM
  • Meanwhile, the default Administrator account should not be included in Users group, let's have a test to use that account to access these files:

1. Right click on Computer, choose Manage.
    2. Go to Local Users and Groups --- Users, find Administrator.
    3. Double click to open it, uncheck "Account is disabled" option.
    4. Click OK.

Now let's log off the current user. We should see the Administrator account in Welcome screen. If not, reboot into Safe Mode to test.

After log on Administrator account, test if we can access these files. Also try the take onwership steps again to see the result.

Thursday, September 17, 2009 3:02 AM
  • Hi Shaon,

After many attempts, the problem was the same, but after tried with a little application that a peer shared with me (TakeOwnership) the issue was solved.

Apparently I was wrong, due on screenshoot 3, I selected the wrong account, I was selecting "Administrators (Doggito-PC\Administrators)" instead my own user name "Doggito (Doggito-PC\Doggito)"

After ran TakeOwnership in the first 4 files, tried to use the normal path and after select my user account, the problem was fixed.

I want to give thanks to you for all your help in the resolution of this problem.

Now I'm ready to install the Final Windows 7 version.

God bless you and keep doing an excelent support!!!

Regards.

Raul.
    • Marked as answer by Raul Co Thursday, September 17, 2009 11:38 AM
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 11:38 AM
  • Hi Raul,

It's glad to hear that the issue is fixed.

As you said, we should choose the current user but not the user group when trying to take ownership. I should explain it more detailed in my question "What will happen if we highlight Doggito and click OK?"

Thank you for your time and offort.

Shaon

Friday, September 18, 2009 3:02 AM