none
Media Center hangs at downloading TV setup data

General discussion

• I'm running Win7 64bit and I have a Pinnacle PCTV 800i tuner card installed using vista 64 drivers. I did wait for Win7 to find the drivers for the card with no success before I used the vista drivers. It is working fine and I currently have it attached to my roof top antenna until I run a new comcast line to it. The problem is that when I go to the media center TV setup, all I get is downloading TV setup data, it just sits there, no error codes, no can't find signal or tuner card, nothing. I've tried different zip codes with still no results. After 30 minutes its still the same. Please, any help would be appreciated, I must be missing something basic. I am a noob to the Media Center. Thanks
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 1:21 AM

All replies

• Hi scrubz:

Were you able to receive over-the-air signals with your current tuner in XP or Vista?  If so,  could you have changed the lead-in cable to the wrong input on the tuner in anticipation of installing your Comcast cable?  Is your PC correctly connected to your phone or cable line so that downloads are possible. Did you check in Device Manager for any hardware that might need a different driver? Did Win7 say it could see your tuner and describe the right tuner?  Could your router firewall be blocking Media Center's attempts to go online?  Could your anti-virus software have a firewall blocking Media Center from going online? 

Did you install the 64-bit tuner drivers in Vista compatibility mode:

Right click driver setup package, and choose "Properties"> Choose “Compatibility” tab>Enable “Run this program in compatibility mode for”, choose “Windows Vista”>try to reinstall the driver again.

Wednesday, February 18, 2009 3:34 AM
  •  Hi Newnerd,

Here are my answers and attempts in order to your suggestions:

Yes I am able to receive signals in XP Pro and it does work in Win 7 using pinnacle's interface. (I didn't go with Vista)

Luckily there is only one input for the 75ohm cable which is connected to the antenna receiving over the air hd channels and analog signals .

My internet connections is fine.

The device manager shows the drivers as "Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher" so there should be no problems there.

Unfortunately when I do the TV setup in media center it just sits there, it never gets to the part whether it finds the tuner or not.

I turned off the anti virus, I use the windows firewall and made sure all of the media center settings were enabled and opened the ports on my router for the media center and still the same problem. It still just hangs when starting the downloading of tv setup and guide data.

I uninstalled everything and reinstalled the drivers using the vista compatibility mode. This time the pinnacle interface could not find the tuner until windows 7 updated, was I lucky this time, nope the same problem.

I did try to start the pinnacle interface while media center was running. Media center did try to display the tv signal but a error occurred. Without typing the entire error it basically said that trying to run both programs at the same time won't work .

I appreciate all of your suggestions and if you can think of anything else, please post again.

Thanks Scrubz 

Thursday, February 19, 2009 2:44 AM
  • Hi scrubz:

I spent a little time reading about your Pinnacle PCTV 800i tuner card.  I have posted a url of a review of the tuner below.  After skimming thru that article I was left with the impression that the problems you are having are probably related to the software/drivers Pinnacle provides.  I will leave it to you to decide that,  but you might be enlightened after reading the article.  My suggestion is a different tuner card.

http://www.fastsilicon.com/graphics-card-reviews/pinnacle-pctv-hd-card-800i-review.html
    Thursday, February 19, 2009 10:43 PM
  • Hi Newnerd,

I did look at that article and fortunately I did not have the issues that they had. The installs and reinstall have gone smooth, the only time when I had a issue is when I installed under the vista compatibility mode which was corrected after a windows update. I'm using driver 5.4.0.3032 Vista 64bit. Either way I do agree that it something that media center does not like about the card. I'm sure you know that anything that says compatible or certified doesn't mean perfection.

Do you have any recommendations on any PCI tuner card or cards that works the best or has the most compatibility with media center?

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,
    Scrubz

Friday, February 20, 2009 2:09 AM
  • Hi Scrubz:

Do you have any available open  PCIE x1 slots on your board?  The most recent tuners are utilizing those slots because of the additional bandwidth and it makes HD digital work best.  I am using all Hauppauge HVR 1800 tuners.  This tuner has inputs for FM/ASTC/NTFS.  The ASTC(antenna) input can be used for cable clear(unencrypted over the air channels) QAM if you enable it in the registry with available code.  If you need the registry change aps I can email them to you.  Hauppauge sent me the simple instructions and a whole packet of automatic registry change aps for all their cable clear QAM capable tuners. 
       All the following Hauppauge tuners can tune cable clear QAM channels: 950, 1950, 1250, 1290, 1500q, 1800,  1850, 1600.  Each has varying inputs but all include ATSC over-the-air (switchable to cable clear QAM).  There are no tuners on the market for home-built pcs that will work with premium cable channels thru Media Center.  For that feature you have to buy a pre-built pc from a OEM manufacturer who can insure that DRM rights aren't violated.
      The HVR 1800 I use runs from $80-$120 from online retailers, depending on the version.....retail with remote or without or whitebox (tuner card only). 

There are proponents of other cards which may work just as good or better.....ATI and AverMedia are the most mentioned.  I have no experience with those and the ease or possiblity of enabling cable clear QAM and compatibility with Vista/Win7 32/64-bit systems.  Below are links to urls with some comments from users of various tuners and links to Hauppauge website and an online retailer I use:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/248021-33-hauppauge-wintv-1800

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815116015

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815116024

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815116016

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/prods_mckit.html

Keep in mind that tuning unencrypted cable clear QAM in Media Center will only work in Win7 or Vista if you have installed the beta version of Media Center TV Pack which works like Win7 Media Center but with minor bugs.  In XP or Vista w/o TV Pack you can still tune in ATSC over the air Digital channels beautifully with a good antenna signal and NTSC cable channels (analog).
      You should decide for yourself after researching a TV tuner if it fits your needs and PC hardware....I don't have any knowledge of all your equipment.  All I can say is,  I really enjoy having HD channels on my PC that I can watch,  pause and record to my hard drive and stream to a HD TV with my Xbox360.

Friday, February 20, 2009 3:07 AM
  • Hi Newnerd,

Unfortunately only PCI slots, I'm old school with a Asus A8V Deluxe 939 socket motherboard, home built of course. I was looking at the Hauppauge WinTv-HVR 1600 Dual Tuner before I grabbed the Pinnacle tuner. It looks like it is simular to the HVR 1800 with the biggest difference being the speed due to the PCIE slot. I will probably pick one up and yes I will take you up on your offer for the registry change aps. I plan on purchasing Win 7 when it goes retail. I have been very happy with the beta so far and of course being old school I'll probably run it dual boot with XP Pro.

Thanks, I really appreciate all of your help and suggestions.

Scrubz  

Friday, February 20, 2009 4:33 AM
  • Hi Scrubz:

If you want to run HD tv programs be sure you have a pretty good video card.  I think your board has an  AGP slot for graphics.  There should be some fairly good video cards that work with AGP but I haven't worked with an AGP graphics card since Windows 98 so I can't tell you what you need and even if you'll have good results with an AGP video card.  I think that Nvidia and ATI eventually adapt their latest models of PCIE cards to work with AGP slots so you may find something suitable.  You will probably want at least  an Nvidia 7600 or better or ATI 3600 series or better (if available for AGP ports). 
       You should consider going with a new build before investing more in your present set-up  though.  You'd be much better off going with a PC with more modern hardware even if your present one works currently.  You could use your present case,  PSU,  hard drive(s), mouse, keyboard, monitor and go with a new board, cpu,  inexpensive DDR2 800 MHz RAM, PCIE graphics card and a TV tuner without getting too much money in it.  You'd be much more likely to be happy with the results than up-grading your current PC with borderline capacity to do what you'd like to do.  Add in an OEM copy of Win7 and voila even Dell would be envious :) This would run about $400  but that's only $240 more than updating to a TV tuner and  new graphics card. 

As far as sending you the Hauppauge "Fiji" registry aps,  I'm not sure how to do that without posting email addresses here,  which probably is tabu?

Friday, February 20, 2009 9:26 PM
  • Hi Newnerd,

Windows 98 ouch. LOL 

I'm not that old school and when my 6800 Ultra went down I replaced it with a  AGP ATI HD3850 512GDDR3. Unfortunately I'm not ready to retire my AMD FX-60 X2 processor, while it doesn't pack the punch of todays processors and motherboards it should be enough and so far has been able to handle Win7. For now I will wait on the tuner and see if Pinnacle will release drivers for Win7. This tuner was 40% off at Circuit City hence my choice over the Hauppauge card. It does work I will record some stuff and stream it over to my 360 and see how that works. So far my Beta experence has been excellent.

I appreciate all of your help and suggestions.

Thanks,
    Scrubz  
    Saturday, February 21, 2009 2:03 AM
  • Sorry about the Win98 remark......wasn't meant to demean your PC.   My first PC was purchased from Gateway back in 97 and had AGP graphics.  I didn't get a newer one until I built my first one, second one,  third one, fourth one and fifth since 2005.  By 2005 most Intel boards were using PCIE graphics slots.  Sold 2 of those PCs at only a 75% loss on each and kept the last 3 LOL!
    Saturday, February 21, 2009 2:24 AM
  • Hi Newnerd,

No offense taken, it was funny. It is sad how much we pay to build or buy and how soon its considered old school.

If you have any more ideas please post again.

Thanks,
    Scrubz
    Saturday, February 21, 2009 2:54 AM
  • I have 2 Pinnacle PVTC cards running perfectly in 2 different desktop systems, both feeding off a cox Cable basic channel (2-17) signal that does include the digital versions of the major networks (3.1, 5.1, 8.1, 13.1, etc.) . After trying a number of other TV tuner cards, I believe the Pinnacle PCTV 800i delivers the best HDTV picture and has the best interface of them all.

Here are the tricks i've learned while running under Win Xp pro SP2 and Win 7 RC1:

In Xp Pro, download the latest driver package from pinnacle website. DO NOT use the drivers that come on CD.

In Win 7 RC1, Media Center does not recognize the tuner card. Install the latest Pinnacle 32bit PCTV driver BUT, before you run the exe file, change the compatability tab setting of the executable to Windows XP SP2. It will then find the card, install the drivers and find the QAM channels, just like it does under Xp Pro SP2.

Hopefully someday down the road (like maybe in 2 or 3 years per prior Microsoft experiences) they'll figure out the bug(s) in Media Center so we can utilize it in Win 7.
    Friday, May 15, 2009 10:17 AM
  • I have the same issue and have left the media center in this "Downloading TV Setup Data" for over 2 hours and... nothing it just stops its updating process. The little meter never moves any further than its initial 1 dot. This sucks. If the media center in Windows 7 with isnt going to work with a newer Hauppauge WinTV card, then I will never buy it. I will just stay with WinXp & go with the BeyondTV software.

My card is the dual tuner: http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/prods_hvr_internal.html

and my zipcode is 46350
    O/S: Windows 7 Ultimate, and fully updated with all the latest releases

is there a fix for this stoppage or update lockup??

WinTV-HVR-2250 Dual Tuner PCI Express TV tuner

• Two analog tuners, each with their own hardware encoders
    • Two digital TV receivers for ATSC or clear QAM
    • Watch one analog or digital channel while recording another
    • Single slot PCI Express (PCIe) X1 board, half height
    • Dual built-in hardware MPEG-2 encoders, for the best system performance when recording analog cable TV.
    • Supports clear QAM digital cable TV channels with the new WinTV v6 application

I also thought that it may be because of the WIndows firewall blocking the tranfer, so I shut it down. This is a fairly new install, with no added security or firewall or blocking type softwares added..

I found this setup guide: http://maximumpcguides.com/windows-vista/set-up-your-tv-signal-in-windows-media-center/

and their STEP 7 is where my setup stops... and never goes any further... even If I let it set all night lon and get up the next morning its still in the same place & the computer isnt locked up. I can open browsers, and manuever fine thoughout the system. I have tried 10 time in all sorts of ways and its always the same place where it stop or stalls... Ive checked for updates... nothing... no fix anywhere... any ideas?

• Edited by seb6000 Tuesday, June 16, 2009 8:22 AM
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 7:53 AM
  • Hi seb6000:

I checked on the Hauppauge website for your 2250 tuner and it stated the following:

"

System Requirements

• Processor requirements: 2.2 GHz P4 or equivalent (minimum) required for displaying ATSC high definition TV on your PC screen
    • Microsoft® Windows® Vista Premium or Ultimate with Media Center. Windows XP is supported with Hauppauge's WinTV v6 application.
    • Available PCIe X1 or X8 slot
    • Graphics with 64 MB memory (or greater)
    • Sound card
    • CD reader for software installation
    I think the relevant part is that your tuner was "supported" in Windows Vista HP.  However, since your card is fairly recent it may be that the only drivers available for use in Media Center  probably only support  ATSC(antenna).  Win7 probably has drivers available for unencrypted cable QAM for the following models which were tested out with Vista TV pack:  950, 1950, 1250, 1290, 1500q, 1600, 1800 and 1850.  At the time of the TV Pack for Vista there were no 2250 drivers for unencrypted cable QAM channels so it is likely that Microsoft was unable to include them in Win7 R.C.
       The big question is whether Hauppauge has or will have them in time for the RTM of Windows 7.  Only Hauppauge and Microsoft can answer that!    Since there are other manufacturers of dual cable QAM capable tv tuners for Vista/Windows7 I would think they will have drivers or may have now.  You might try contacting Hauppauge support and explain clearly that you want to use your tuner in Win7 and can they provide you with suitable drivers for reception of unencrypted cable QAM channels in the Windows 7 Media Center interface.....not using their WinTV software. 

Below are a couple of useful URLs concerning TV tuners for Media Center:

http://www.hdtvtunerinfo.com/avertvduetpcie.html

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00266P6G4?tag=hdtvpctunergu-20&camp=14573&creative=
    327641&linkCode=as1&creativeASIN=B00266P6G4&adid=09TPHR6PH5KEHN8ZKE4E&

Tuesday, June 16, 2009 10:49 PM
  • hello newnerd

thanks for the reply, the info, and URL links... I think that u r probably right on the current card support & updates. But that should change in the near future, so currently I'm trying a copy of Snapstream BeyondTV software, which works very well with this
    Hauppauge 2250 tuner card. I was thinking about building a new Media PC (maybe this next month), and was going to add another dual HD tuner to the motherboard (so I can get better recording options) & was looking for a cheap ota HD card & those 2 links you gave to the AVertTV tuner looks nice & the price is about half of what I gave for this card. I really wish these TV cardmakers would give or build individual inputs per each tuner so we could mix our recordings up, like being able to record 1 HD ota & 1 cableTV or 1 QAM input combo at the same time. Right now its we are stuck/locked into eiter 2 HD or 2 QAM or 2 cable per recordong session...

thanks again
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 2:28 AM
  • Hi again seb6000:
       RE: " Right now its we are stuck/locked into either 2 HD or 2 QAM or 2 cable per recording session...".  I'm currently using the Hauppauge 1800 PCIe TV tuner which allows recording 1 QAM HD channel (or ATSC) and 1 analog cable channel simultaneously but with my Comcast basic only service I no longer need the analog tuner.  They presently offer all but the local low power over-the-air channels in both analog and digital and the digital version is slightly better.  With two or three of the 1600 tuners a person could set up  to record off the air (ATSC) channels, digital QAM and analog stations simultaneously.....but that would cost around $300 for three of those tuners.  I have one of the AVerTV HD Duet PCI-e Tuner cards on order for my HTPC and with the Hauppauge 1800 I'll be able to record 1 analog and 3 Digital HD channels simultaneously (I hope).
       You might want to wait before spending too much on tuners because all the cable channels are in the midst of making major changes in what they provide.  Some of the cable channels are even switching to "on demand" tuning where they require one of their cable boxes (or some day a cable card) and instead of sending all the channels down their lines they only send the signal for the channel you tune to and the box tells them what channel to send.  (And that would require a box for every display!)  I have posted a link below that explains the changes the different cable channels are making or plan to make if you're interested:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/165545/how_the_unknown_digital_tv_transition_could_screw_you.html

Thursday, June 25, 2009 2:58 AM
  • newnerd

well I took your advice and returned my
    Hauppauge 2250 tuner card & got the one that you linked to in your last reply & its still the same thing. It still gets hung up in the same place that I described above. I did un-install all drivers and software for all previous tuner cards but for some reason WMC will not setup up the TV tuner and go past the INSTALL point of downloading the program guide info for my zipcode (or an other zipcode I put in the slot). This really sucks, I guess I am going to have to buy snapstream to use a TV tuner card of any sort!

:(
    Wednesday, July 08, 2009 7:12 PM
  • Hi again seb6000:
         Sorry to hear you're having troubles.  I received my "AverTVHD Duet" model #MTVHDDUWB from Amazon.com a couple weeks ago and am using it now.  I used it to replace my Hauppauge HVR 1800 TV tuner which had one analog and one Digital input.  The Hauppauge card worked fine but I wanted to use a tuner with dual digital inputs such as the AverTVHD Duet.
       After installation the Win7 64-bit O.S. recognized the card in Device Manager but had a yellow bang indicating I needed to install the correct drivers by hand.  I was in a hurry and opened the dvd that came with the tuner.  In the folder labeled "Driver" I found a driver labeled Vista_x64 and double clicked on that and located a "Setup" file.  I right-clicked on that Vista x64 driver and selected "trouble-shoot compatibility".  After Win7 inspected the file I was offered a pop-up with the option to "Troubleshoot program".   I clicked that and in the next window selected "The program worked in earlier versions........".  I hit next and then selected the check box for Windows Vista SP1 (in my case). I then installed that driver in compatibility mode and it succeeded.  I can't tell the difference between the picture quality between the Hauppauge and this AverTVHD and now have dual digital input.  This tuner splits the signal into two internally to allow dual input.  I have occasionally had a signal freeze or minor pixelation with the dual tuner.  I think this is because of insufficient signal strength from my Comcast cable.  I have it connected to a Motorola Signal booster and then split to two different rooms. These are then split again to my TV and to the HTPC tv tuner.  No doubt I'm weakening the signal a lot this way but am satisfied with the results.
       Since my installation I have located updated drivers for the AverTVHD Duet online in case you want to use those and install them in compatibility mode if needed.  GOOD LUCK!
    Wednesday, July 08, 2009 8:02 PM
  • newnerd

hes I purchased the same card that you did
    (AverTVHD Duet), and I also installed the driver into Win7 & it went in fine (32bit). THen I proceeded to do the WMC TV setup.... where the setup problem still occurs, it stop at the procedure: (Downloading TV setup data(for my region)) and never goes any further. This was the same problem that I stated above with the Hauppauge TV card.

I think MS needs to troubleshoot this problem, because there isnt any updates for WMC past RC1... I saw others were having the same problem.

As I stated above I did a clean install of RC1 on a new drive and got all the latest updates, so I'm unsure where to go from here...

thanks for the help

Wednesday, July 08, 2009 9:12 PM
  • Well I guess this card (AverTVHD Duet) is no good as far as use for me. The AverTVHD Duet is suppose to be used with Win7 WMC (and yes downloaded/installed the latest aver drivers for win7), but win7 WMC hangs during the Program guide update (being downloaded from the internet), and win7 has now work-around or updates to correct this issue. So next I downloaded the Aver MediaCenter software, but it doesnt even recognize their own AverTVHD Duet card as being installed. Neither do any other TV tuner softwares... so for everyone reading this, beware of wasting a lot of time trying to get this card to work. Luckily I purchased it from Amazon.com, so I can get a full refund.

I guess I will wait another year or so I see what new HD TV cards are going to be released, because currently this card & the Hauppauge 2250 tuner card both hang up during the WMC tv setup process. This really pisses a person off, wasting a lot of time and money trying to find just 1 card that will work with the Win7 WMC. I probably will not purchase Win7, because my whole issue was to setup a nice home computer media center, but what good is it when win7 WMC cant even install its own program guide & does not give users a work-around or fix for this issue.

Wednesday, July 08, 2009 11:19 PM
  • Hi seb6000:

You and I need to get this working! You have a compatible digital TV tuner that works in Win7. You have drivers successfully installed for the tuner. Therefore it should work. So.....I went to the maximum pc website where you said:
    " I found this setup guide: http://maximumpcguides.com/windows-vista/set-up-your-tv-signal-in-windows-media-center/

and their STEP 7 is where my setup stops... and never goes any further... even If I let it set all night...".

I have another idea where your problem may be. Is it possible that Media Center just isn't able to go online at all? Do you have an always on broadband connection or dial-up internet? Are you going thru a router that may be configured incorrectly? Have you gone thru the COMPLETE Media Center Set-up?
    One of the set-up procedures is "Set Up Internet Connection". When you go thru that and Media Center tests your connection does it say it's working OK? The failure to download could very possibly be an inability to connect to the internet and this will tell you if that is the problem. Perhaps when you re-installed Win7 you forgot to set up the internet connection and went directly to Set Up TV Signal? Let's get this working....you have everything needed....it WILL work! :)

• Edited by newnerd Thursday, July 09, 2009 11:02 PM spelling error
    Thursday, July 09, 2009 11:00 PM
  • newnerd

I had checked my internet connection sometime ago by using the internet checking system built into WMC & that part checked out fine, plus I'm always online with browsers & other software, so that wasnt the problem, but..

I figured the problem out. I un-installed Win7 RC1 and re-installed it and then re-installed the TV tuner card driver & then opened WMC & did the TV  setup.

I watched it go thrught its steps and it seems that when you have to agree to the rules, then agree to the (PlayReady PC Runtime) agreement, there's where the problem was.

Previously in the Win7 WMC attempts, the (PlayReady PC Runtime) agreement never showed up and so that is what was stopping the PROGRAM downloads to happen... and that stopped the overall WMC TV setup process.

FOR ALL PEOPLE who are having a HANG-up problem on the WMC install process, mainly when it comes to the PROGRAM download for your zipcode area. During the install there will be 2 WMC agreements that a person will need to AGREE to. If both of them dont show up during the install process, then you will have the same STALL/HANG problem that I was having.

so check your installed software list to see if a copy of the (PlayReady PC Runtime) agreement software is installed on your computer. Uninstall it if you have a copy installed.

Now some people may have an older version of the (PlayReady PC Runtime) agreement software installed on your computer. So instead of unstalling the Win7 O/S & starting over, just try to un-install your current version of (PlayReady PC Runtime) agreement software, then try to do the WMC TV setup again & let the WMC download & install the version of the (PlayReady PC Runtime) agreement software.

It was an older version of installed (PlayReady PC Runtime) agreement software that was causing this HANG-up process.

----

Also I began searching for other software that would work with this (White Box) (AverTVHD Duet - dual ATSC tuner card) & Like Snapstream Beyond TV software, but it did not support this white box card, so I contacted their support section & got in touch with a TECH person who submitted a ticket to add support for this card. So BTV will soon support the (AverTVHD Duet - dual ATSC tuner card) white box card.

seb6000
    • Edited by seb6000 Friday, July 10, 2009 3:00 PM
    Friday, July 10, 2009 2:49 PM
  • Hi seb6000:
        Glad to hear you have your problem solved.  I wouldn't bother with third-party tv tuner program.....the built-in Windows Media Center program is really about the best you can get now.  The only problem with it is that DRM rights are preventing watching DRM protected shows unless you get a new PC with cable-card tv tuners.  Of course that's no help if you want to use or build your own computer.  Still,  it IS really nice to be able to watch HD tv programs with cable QAM instead of with an antenna!
    Friday, July 10, 2009 7:28 PM
  • I have the same issue and have left the media center in this "Downloading TV Setup Data" for over 2 hours and... nothing it just stops its updating process. The little meter never moves any further than its initial 1 dot. This sucks. If the media center in Windows 7 with isnt going to work with a newer Hauppauge WinTV card, then I will never buy it. I will just stay with WinXp & go with the BeyondTV software.

My card is the dual tuner: http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/prods_hvr_internal.html

and my zipcode is 46350
    O/S: Windows 7 Ultimate, and fully updated with all the latest releases

is there a fix for this stoppage or update lockup??

WinTV-HVR-2250 Dual Tuner PCI Express TV tuner

• Two analog tuners, each with their own hardware encoders
    • Two digital TV receivers for ATSC or clear QAM
    • Watch one analog or digital channel while recording another
    • Single slot PCI Express (PCIe) X1 board, half height
    • Dual built-in hardware MPEG-2 encoders, for the best system performance when recording analog cable TV.
    • Supports clear QAM digital cable TV channels with the new WinTV v6 application

I also thought that it may be because of the WIndows firewall blocking the tranfer, so I shut it down. This is a fairly new install, with no added security or firewall or blocking type softwares added..

I found this setup guide: http://maximumpcguides.com/windows-vista/set-up-your-tv-signal-in-windows-media-center/

and their STEP 7 is where my setup stops... and never goes any further... even If I let it set all night lon and get up the next morning its still in the same place & the computer isnt locked up. I can open browsers, and manuever fine thoughout the system. I have tried 10 time in all sorts of ways and its always the same place where it stop or stalls... Ive checked for updates... nothing... no fix anywhere... any ideas?

This happens because the process mcupdate.exe, which downloads tv setup data, is not running which should have rrun automatically during tv setup. So make a shortcut on desktop  with this path "C:\Windows\ehome\mcupdate.exe -manual -nogc -p" and run it. Everthing will be fine.
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 3:01 PM
  • I'm running Win7 64bit and I have a Pinnacle PCTV 800i tuner card installed using vista 64 drivers. I did wait for Win7 to find the drivers for the card with no success before I used the vista drivers. It is working fine and I currently have it attached to my roof top antenna until I run a new comcast line to it. The problem is that when I go to the media center TV setup, all I get is downloading TV setup data, it just sits there, no error codes, no can't find signal or tuner card, nothing. I've tried different zip codes with still no results. After 30 minutes its still the same. Please, any help would be appreciated, I must be missing something basic. I am a noob to the Media Center. Thanks

This happens because the process mcupdate.exe, which downloads tv setup data, is not running which should have rrun automatically during tv setup. So make a shortcut on desktop  with this path "C:\Windows\ehome\mcupdate.exe -manual -nogc -p" and run it. Everthing will be fine.
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 3:06 PM
  • Hi azmath76:
        Are you sure that will work with the Hauppauge HVR 2250 tuner?  Everything I've read in the technet forum and a couple other Win7 forums as well as the Hauppauge support page for the tuner says they only have drivers for this card that provide cable QAM support .....WHEN you use Hauppauge's WinTV software.  The drivers appear to only support the analog input when used in the Windows Media Center interface.  Perhaps you could read the support info at the link below and see what you think.  A lot of people would like to use the HVR 2250 but I haven't seen anyone that knows where to get the necessary drivers to utilize cable QAM input in the Media Center interface. Hopefully it will be included in the RTM version of Win7. (Or from Hauppauge by Oct. 23!)  Here is the Hauppauge support page:

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/support/support_hvr2250.html
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 11:22 PM
  • Hi Gadgetguru:
             I wonder if there will be any new drivers for existing Pinnacle tuner cards.  I think Pinnacle was bought by Hauppauge not too long ago and they may decide not to put time and effort into previously released tv tuners sold by Pinnacle?
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 11:45 PM
  • This fix worked for me (C:\Windows\ehome\mcupdate.exe -manual -nogc -p). I just changed the drive letter to my drive (H:). I now have up to date listings-- just love this stuff.

Thank you,, but how did you figure this out???

RDomke@Comcast.Net
    Saturday, July 25, 2009 6:23 PM
  • Hey guys,

I had the exact same problem as scrubz were everything would be fine until I got to the guide setup download and it would only show 1 dot on the progress br for 45 minutes. I started looking around in services.msc(because I remembered I disabled a couple) and noticed that task scheduler was disabled because a dependency service(Event Log) was disabled. I started event log again and then started task scheduler with no problems and re-ran the tv signal setup. It worked like a charm for me. Let me know if it works for anyone else. If error reporting doesn't start task scheduler then right click on task scheduler and click properties>dependencies tab.

Hope this helps somewhat,

Nelson
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 9:37 AM
  • It is widely Known That Pinnacle does not work with Windows 7 Or Vista

errors return either 2 HD Channels In UK and Only SBS in Australia
    Either tuner Scan hangs at 11% complete  or no signal found or as  i mentioned only 2 or 3 low frequency channels found

It is all over the internet, i have contacted Pinnacle and they admit to advising me personally that they need to update thier DLL's and Drivers for thier product.
    Though as of Feb 13th 2010 They still have not.

also Pinnacle now advise on thier website that Uncompatability issues occur with Windows 7

Get an internal HD Tuner Card that is not pinnacle,
     that fixed the issue,

though a big problem if someone uses a Laptop
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 11:31 PM
  • I cannot speak to the technical specifics of your situation, but I found that this resolved the issue for me on an ATI 650 TV Wonder:

C:\Windows\ehome\mcupdate.exe -manual -nogc -p

Make sure that WMC is open and the step is freezing or you may have to restart.  I used to have the whole shebang working and found the same problem after a reinstall of Windows 7.  It probably is a driver issue, but it got me my analog channels back at least.
    Tuesday, March 09, 2010 1:12 AM
  • Thanks Borland502....I had this issue appear for some reason (all was working fine and then issues) and it would not allow me to set up my second tuner.  The command worked perfectly.

Thanks for your assistance.

Thursday, June 17, 2010 6:13 AM
  • Borland's command worked perfectly for me and my Mygica A680B. I ran it during the "Downloading TV Setup Data". I was watching network activity. Prior to the command - nothing. Once I ran, bingo, the computer actually started downloading guide information.
    Wednesday, November 24, 2010 2:21 AM
  • same deal for me.    Great Fix!  Pity it screws up in the first place :-)
    Thursday, January 27, 2011 1:00 PM
  • This happens because the process mcupdate.exe, which downloads tv setup data, is not running which should have rrun automatically during tv setup. So make a shortcut on desktop  with this path "C:\Windows\ehome\mcupdate.exe -manual -nogc -p" and run it. Everthing will be fine.
    excellent, thanks very much also sortedf for me.
    Monday, February 28, 2011 5:22 PM
  • This happens because the process mcupdate.exe, which downloads tv setup data, is not running which should have rrun automatically during tv setup. So make a shortcut on desktop  with this path "C:\Windows\ehome\mcupdate.exe -manual -nogc -p" and run it. Everthing will be fine.
    excellent, thanks very much also sortedf for me.

best answer!

perfect!

bye :-)

Wednesday, June 01, 2011 12:59 AM
  • Running Win7 64bit updated from Vista.  I started having the same problem in August.  Made the shortcut and ran it while it was stalling.  It did update everything else, sports (which I didn't have before), internet TV, etc.  The big problem is that it took away my live TV.  Then I tried running the TV setup and once again had to run the shortcut and it goes through the setup but at the end, it says WMC has encountered a serious problem and to try running setup again or restart the computer.  Tried both, but I no longer have TV.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Sunday, October 09, 2011 1:14 PM
  • kbdes11: I suggest that you repost at the Windows Entertainment and Connected Home forums, there are some WMC experts there:

http://experts.windows.com/frms/windows_entertainment_and_connected_home/f/114.aspx

Tim De Baets
    http://www.bm-productions.tk
    Saturday, October 15, 2011 3:26 PM
  • I just bought a used dual tuner HD HOMERUN (hdhr-us) on ebay for cheap and was having this same problem on Windowx 7 x64.

running this fixed it!!!!:
    "C:\Windows\ehome\mcupdate.exe -manual -nogc -p"  

Friday, November 11, 2011 1:21 AM
  • I have had problems with the hauppage HVR-2250 for a long time. It worked at one time. Now it plays for about 5 seconds and freezes the tv video? I tried all types of software utilities. Same thing. So I purcahesed a new board. No difference. I looked at the homerun as an alternate. I can't see video with WinTV2

or WMC? I will try your link and see what happens. The tech support have been helpful but they are also at a loss.

Regards,

Philip

• Edited by Philip2001 Friday, November 11, 2011 10:43 PM
    Friday, November 11, 2011 10:42 PM
  • For me, this issue with the TV Guide setup never getting past the first dot was solved by uninstalling the WinTV PVR drivers that downloaded with Windows Update and installing the drivers from the Hauppage website.  Once that happened, the guide would download.  Hope this helps someone else!
    Ian
    Sunday, January 29, 2012 3:19 AM
  • I found this, using Vista Media Center after I installed the TV Pack upgrade (which I needed, as in the UK, the agreement with the Internet TV Guide provider Microsoft used for the earlier version of Media Center has just expired).

I left mine overnight (after trying some of the suggestions here), and it did eventually continue on to the next step.

I later set all the channels to get their guide from the broadcast signal, and everything seems better now.

I have detailed my experiences in my blog at http://trumphurst.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/windows-vista-media-centre-program.html in case it helps anyone else.

Thursday, January 03, 2013 5:28 PM