none
Performance Issue: Too many other files are currently in use by 16-bit programs.

Question

• Hello,

Lately, I started noticing that whenever I right click on any of the executables (say procexp.exe, cmd.exe, etc.,) by right clicking executable and choosing "Runas Administrator", none of the respective applications launch. Additioanlly my explorer Window becomes inactive and I a mforced to close it via taskmgr.

However, launch of same applications from the "runas user:administrator cmd.exe" works fine.  I see this issue being reported by many folks with no solution mentioned.

Also, when you attempt to restart/shutdown the computer while this issue happens, Windows returns bunch of errors as shown below:

[Window Title]
    C:\Tools\procexp.exe

[Content]
    Too many other files are currently in use by 16-bit programs. Exit one or more 16-bit programs, or increase the value of the FILES command in your Config.sys file.

[OK]

Govardhan Gunnala Windows Technologist
    Thursday, April 21, 2011 12:52 PM

Answers

• Hi,

When did the issue occurred? Did you installed any software or update recently?

The issue could be incorrect registry. I suggest perform a System Restore first to check the result.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/help/videos/fixing-a-problem-using-system-restore

If the issue persists, please go to the following site and download the reg.

http://cid-9fb18a384ebfc662.office.live.com/self.aspx/.Documents/Fix.zip

Before import the registry, please back up the following registry. Just right click them and choose export to the desktop.

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe] & [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile]

If you are running 32-bit OS, run the Fix-32. If the Users Account Control appears, click Yes to continue. If the Registry Edition warnning appears, click Yes to import the key.

Best Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Friday, April 29, 2011 9:43 AM
    Monday, April 25, 2011 8:51 AM

All replies