none
usb pci card... devices plugged into it not recognized

Question

• I just installed a new PCI USB 2.0 card into my machine. I have a Line 6 Toneport UX8 that connects to the PC by USB as the interface for microphones and instruments. Because of the high volume of data coming down the pipe from this external interface it is pretty much a 'mandatory recommendation' to use a dedicated USB controller in a PCI slot. I also have a security USB fob for my Cubase 5 DAW. It isn't being recognized to be able to allow the Cubase program to start. It is used to verify the authenticity of the Cubase program, and Cubase won't start if it isn't there.

Anyway, I installed the PCI card just fine but when I plug in the UX8 to it, Windows 7 reports 'USB device not recognized'. It is recognized if I plug it into one of the motherboard's USB slots though. I need to use this PCI card, otherwise the recording quality is useless. I know other people have this external interface and run it into a dedicated PCI/USB controller with great results. So I am hoping someone here can suggest what I can do to get Windows 7 to recognize the card and the USB devices plugged into it.

I'm hoping I don't have to reinstall the OS since it will be a pain to have to reinstall again when the commercial licenses come out in less than a month (I'm assuming I'll have to reinstall since I will be using an upgrade from my XP Pro that I have not used since trying out this Windows 7 RC).

I have tried to unplug the PC from the wall per other forums suggestions to supposedly reset the USB info. I have deleted all hidden devices in 'device manager' that were greyed out. This got the devices recognized, but they still didn't work. i.e. The red light on the security usb fob lit up, which usually indicates it is working, but when I start up Cubase, Cubase can't find the device and won't start. I want to be able to plug this into the PCI cards internal USB connector (it also has four external) so that when I close up the box there is no chance of me accidentally knocking the security usb fob and damaging it. I did that once and it cost me about $60 and two weeks to replace! (Some DAW products if you lose the security usb fob, you need to spend hundreds of dollars to replace the whole program... i.e. they don't replace the usb fob).

My motherboard is an Asus P6T WS Pro with an i7 920 Processor and 6 Gigs of DDR3 RAM. The PCI USB card is a Bytecc USB 2.0+IEEE 1394 Combo Card (BT-PCI-U2FW) with a VIA chipset I believe.

TIA

BillR
    Wednesday, September 09, 2009 1:15 PM

Answers

• Hello BillR,

First you might go to Device Manager, right click your hardware device in the list and select Update Driver Software; then click Search automatically for updated driver software.

Note: Drivers on the Windows Update site are directly provided by hardware manufacturers. Microsoft tests drivers in various environments before they are published; however, we cannot guarantee all drivers will work on all hardware platforms as there are too many different models, although their hardware ID are the same as the standard version. In some cases, due to hardware modifications by different manufacturers, the driver updates may cause some error.

If it does not work on your issue, I'd suggest you installing the Vista driver in Compatibility mode. Remove and rescan that hardware device in Device Manager, right-click on the driver executable/installer file -> Properties and select the Compatibility tab; click the checkbox before Run this program in Compatibility mode for option and select Windows Vista in the list-down box; then try installing the device driver via Run as administrator. In addition, you can use the Windows XP driver for testing.

Meanwhile, please understand that Windows 7 is a new operating system and whole driverstore has been reprogrammed; you might wait or push the device manufacturer to upgrade its driver. Thanks for your time and understanding!

For more details, please look at the first Sticky thread at the top of this forum.

What can I do if my hardware does not work?

This will give you some guidelines.

Good Luck!

Andy

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Wednesday, September 16, 2009 8:45 AM
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 9:22 AM
  • The chipset on the original is indeed something that's supported by Windows.

You are using a prerelease version of the OS, so it's possible that you just hit a bug.  But I'm glad you got a solution that works. :)

Can you please check the hardware ID in device manager for the new card and let me know what it is?  My online search says it should be an ALi host controller, not Nvidia.  I'm not aware of any Nvidia add-in USB controllers.

BTW, even though you need a dedicated EHCI controller for that device, you shouldn't need to use a PCI card.  The chipset on your motherboard includes 2 EHCI controllers.  So you could've left one dedicated to that device and used the other one for the rest of your devices.  That would limit the number of onboard ports you could use though (the ports are dedicated to one controller and that can't be switched).

Want to know if your hardware will work on Windows 7? Check out these links: **Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor ** **Microsoft Logo'd Hardware List**
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 5:20 AM

All replies

• You need to contact Bytecc.  According to their website the card is not listed as being compatible with either Vista nor Win 7. http://www.byteccusa.com/product/PCI/BT-PCI-U2FW/BT-PCI-U2FW.htm
    Wednesday, September 09, 2009 1:55 PM
  • I tend to think this is not a good answer. USB cards are pretty standards based now... this card claims to be. As well, the card itself installs fine on W7 and shows up in the device manager saying that it is installed and running correctly using MS Windows drivers. If MS wants to install drivers for a device I would say this suggests it is compatible with the the OS. If it isn't MS shouldn't automatically install the drivers. After all it is only logical that if MS wants to automatically install drivers for devices that they have the system check that it is compatible first. I work in software development, and my expectation is that is what good programmers and good programming shops do. So it is installed correctly with the correct MS drivers. The only problem is now, that any USB devices plugged into are not recognized and I cannot get it to install drivers for these USB devices.
    Wednesday, September 09, 2009 2:35 PM
  • By researching your card I discovered it is sold with a driver disk and plainly states it is compatible with Windows XP.  The website also states it is compatible with Windows XP, but does not claim it is compatible with either Vista or Win 7.  The card itself is around 4 years old and if you think it's compatible with Win 7, then it may very well now be defective.  To me if you say it is recognized by Window but the devices are not being recognized there is something wrong.

Have you check to see if the card will function correctly in another system?

Wednesday, September 09, 2009 5:43 PM
  • I just installed another card that says that it is compatible with XP and all other earlier OS's, but not Vista, nor W7. Ta da! it works fine. It is not what it says on the box, it is what standards it adheres to. Obviously the first card did not adhere to the standards properly.

As an FYI for others, the first (non-working) card used a VIA controller chip. The second card that works uses an nVidia. The problem I have with Windows installing drivers automatically is that it shouldn't if the card doesn't implement the standards properly. It should wait and ask the user to install a driver. The brand of the new card brand name is 'Wiseland'. The model is 5273-5. It is a five port USB only card. Four external and one internal. In case anyone needs a PCI USB card for W7.

There is a programming axiom that goes with debugging others code in a support role: Debug code, comments lie. In this case, it is not what is on the box, it is how it implements the standard.
    Wednesday, September 09, 2009 11:35 PM
  • Hello BillR,

First you might go to Device Manager, right click your hardware device in the list and select Update Driver Software; then click Search automatically for updated driver software.

Note: Drivers on the Windows Update site are directly provided by hardware manufacturers. Microsoft tests drivers in various environments before they are published; however, we cannot guarantee all drivers will work on all hardware platforms as there are too many different models, although their hardware ID are the same as the standard version. In some cases, due to hardware modifications by different manufacturers, the driver updates may cause some error.

If it does not work on your issue, I'd suggest you installing the Vista driver in Compatibility mode. Remove and rescan that hardware device in Device Manager, right-click on the driver executable/installer file -> Properties and select the Compatibility tab; click the checkbox before Run this program in Compatibility mode for option and select Windows Vista in the list-down box; then try installing the device driver via Run as administrator. In addition, you can use the Windows XP driver for testing.

Meanwhile, please understand that Windows 7 is a new operating system and whole driverstore has been reprogrammed; you might wait or push the device manufacturer to upgrade its driver. Thanks for your time and understanding!

For more details, please look at the first Sticky thread at the top of this forum.

What can I do if my hardware does not work?

This will give you some guidelines.

Good Luck!

Andy

Thursday, September 10, 2009 9:22 AM
  • The chipset on the original is indeed something that's supported by Windows.

You are using a prerelease version of the OS, so it's possible that you just hit a bug.  But I'm glad you got a solution that works. :)

Can you please check the hardware ID in device manager for the new card and let me know what it is?  My online search says it should be an ALi host controller, not Nvidia.  I'm not aware of any Nvidia add-in USB controllers.

BTW, even though you need a dedicated EHCI controller for that device, you shouldn't need to use a PCI card.  The chipset on your motherboard includes 2 EHCI controllers.  So you could've left one dedicated to that device and used the other one for the rest of your devices.  That would limit the number of onboard ports you could use though (the ports are dedicated to one controller and that can't be switched).

Want to know if your hardware will work on Windows 7? Check out these links: **Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor ** **Microsoft Logo'd Hardware List**
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 5:20 AM