none
Out of space on 30GB SSD with Win 7 only - can't install SP1

Question

• Hi,

I have a 30GB SSD with Windows 7 64 bit installed as my boot drive.  Over time, Windows has gobbled up all the space on the drive.  I am down to <2 GB after tweaking settings (like eliminating hibernate files, disk cache, etc.).  Now it tells me I can't install SP1.  I even downloaded the SP1 file to install from a different hard drive but apparently it wants 8 GB of space on the C drive.  Also, why can't MS let the user configure the location of WinSxS folder?  It is not critical since it contains backup files, and I can have it on a different drive than my boot drive to free up space (and keep it available for when its needed).    This is insane.

Wednesday, July 06, 2011 2:49 AM

Answers

• A 30GB disk or SSD is too small to run anything other than a very basic Windows 7 installation.

WinSxS is critical, not a backup. It contains the customised and expected versions of dlls that installed programs need to run successfully.

Wednesday, July 06, 2011 5:57 AM
  • On Wed, 6 Jul 2011 02:49:35 +0000, Jay Akhtar wrote:

Hi,

I have a 30GB SSD with Windows 7 64 bit installed as my boot drive.  Over time, Windows has gobbled up all the space on the drive.  I am down to <2 GB after tweaking settings (like eliminating hibernate files, disk cache, etc.).  Now it tells me I can't install SP1.  I even downloaded the SP1 file to install from a different hard drive but apparently it wants 8 GB of space on the C drive.  Also, why can't MS let the user configure the location of WinSxS folder?  It is not critical since it contains backup files, and I can have it on a different drive than my boot drive to free up space (and keep it available for when its needed).    This is insane.

A 30GB drive is tiny, and really inadequate for almost anyone trying
    to run Windows 7 on it.  I'm sure you don't want to hear this since
    SSD drives aren't cheap, but your only real solution is replacing it
    with a larger drive. You can do some things to save a little space,
    but they are all stopgap measures and you will soon find yourself back
    in the same situation.

My C: drive is a 120GB SSD and about 50GB of it is use at the moment.
    The 120GB is considerably more than I need right now, but I'm happy to
    have substantial room for future expansion.

Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP
    Wednesday, July 06, 2011 10:00 PM

All replies

• A 30GB disk or SSD is too small to run anything other than a very basic Windows 7 installation.

WinSxS is critical, not a backup. It contains the customised and expected versions of dlls that installed programs need to run successfully.

Wednesday, July 06, 2011 5:57 AM
  • On Wed, 6 Jul 2011 02:49:35 +0000, Jay Akhtar wrote:

Hi,

A 30GB drive is tiny, and really inadequate for almost anyone trying
    to run Windows 7 on it.  I'm sure you don't want to hear this since
    SSD drives aren't cheap, but your only real solution is replacing it
    with a larger drive. You can do some things to save a little space,
    but they are all stopgap measures and you will soon find yourself back
    in the same situation.

My C: drive is a 120GB SSD and about 50GB of it is use at the moment.
    The 120GB is considerably more than I need right now, but I'm happy to
    have substantial room for future expansion.

Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP
    Wednesday, July 06, 2011 10:00 PM