none
intellitype pro error code 1603 on w7 64 bit

Question

• I have tried everything I can find.Clear temp, uninstall of preious versions (they never actually installed). Installed   .net framework beta2 t, tried installing different keyboard choice during install of my product ALL fail with error code 1603 incompatible application(intellitype software that is not something else) it hints that my hardware may be ncomaptible. I have just built it. I7 proc. w7 x64bit, asus vid card eah4890+ just hdd and dvd writer+ reader. no other cards. AVG antivirus v9. Most of the keyboard works except 7my favourites, my docs, my pictures,my music, and messenger buttons and onboard wheel(mouse scroll) current installed driver is 7.0.280.0 . as this is an MS keyboard and a clean install this is a bit annoying-- any help greatly appreciated.
    Friday, October 30, 2009 10:06 AM

All replies

• Hi ronb62,

Please download and install the Win7 X64 software for your keyboard from:
    http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/download/download.aspx?category=MK

Hope this helps solving your issue.

/Daniel

• Proposed as answer by yabezzie Sunday, October 10, 2010 12:28 PM
    Friday, October 30, 2009 2:37 PM
  • Hi Ronb62,

You can also check in windowsupdates. It automatically found my keyboard and mouse and mouse and installl the proper version of intellitype.

Thanks,
    Guy
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights
    • Proposed as answer by yabezzie Sunday, October 10, 2010 12:30 PM
    Friday, October 30, 2009 5:51 PM
  • Hi . Thanks for the reply daniel. Had already tried this. This software when run is what generates the error code 16003 incompatible app. had also tried the original ver of Intellitype prov5 and tried choosing different keyboards during the install process and  get exactly the same fault. Have tried windows update. update driver from device manger - itsays the driver is up to date! It appears to be the saoftware part that "adds-0n" the extra keys functionality that is "missing".
    ANy more suggestions very welcome
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 3:52 PM
  • Thanks Guy , Have already tried this also and no joy. driver is reported as up to date and correct ( it does look to be). It's the extra functionality that is missing as is the softawre to make changes, because it won't install. Whichever keyboard I choose the softawre fails with the error message. Have cleared my system of everything associated with keyboards and reinstalled,checked temp folder empty, run ms installer clean-up to check no joy. Installed .net v4 beta2 as suggested by someone makes no difference. Again thanks and any further suggestionse greatfully accepted.

Ron 
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 3:58 PM
  • Hi ronb62,

Just downloaded the software, and installed it, here is seems to run without any problem even though I do not have a Microsoft keyboard attached.
    The error 1603 means ERROR_INSTALL_FAILURE.

Could you try and remove the software, remove the hardware drivers through device manager, reboot and try again?
    To be on the safe side, download the package again.

/Daniel
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Proposed as answer by yabezzie Sunday, October 10, 2010 12:29 PM
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 4:14 PM
  • Hi, and again thanks Daniel

Had tried this but have just tried it all again including redownloading, again which I had already tried but gave it another go anyway.

No joy!!
    If i try   
    right click on program + run
    program compatibility assistant
    have tried choosing various options of "it worked under" various op systems and this is
     where the message "Incompatible application Detected" comes up. (and where I got the message I reported before)
    the troubleshooting report lists the windows version as 6.1 ??

Any more ideas

thanks Ron
    • Proposed as answer by yabezzie Sunday, October 10, 2010 12:34 PM
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 4:50 PM
  • Hi Ron,

Could you verify your windows version?
    In your search box type

winver

and press enter

It should read: Version 6.1 (Build 7600)

If that is correct we can setup a live session to see if we can fix it online. (using Windows Remote Assistance from All Programs -> Maintenance)
    How can we contact you to get this setup?

/Daniel
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saturday, October 31, 2009 6:19 PM
  • Same problem here. After Windows 7, Intellitype and Intellipoint fail on the same error. At first I couldn't uninstall the old ones, so had to use Windows Install Clean-up to get rid of them. Then I got rid of the two folders. Install still fails. My feeling is that some parts of older versions are still on the system.
    ...Michael
    Sunday, November 01, 2009 12:22 AM
  • Hi,

Could one of you extract the files out of the ITPx64_1033_7.00.260.0.exe (it is an self extractring exe) using you favorite compression software.
    The software comes with 3 prereq packages, could you install those by hand and then run the ITPx64_1033_7.00.260.0\itype\setup64\itp.msi to see if that helps?

/Daniel

Sunday, November 01, 2009 6:49 AM
  • Hi
    thanks again, tried what you suggested. Exactly the same result. the driver has installed okay but the software does not. Therefore no interpretation or setting up of the keys or keyboard wheel recognition are possible. I found that if I grabbed  the mskey prog and ran that all the unworking keypresses are recognised and the if i tick the "keyboard has a wheel" box then that is recognised ok . All I need is how to set them. Low mouse  battery warning is also not working, which i guess is part of the software component. My winver is correct. I am running w7 ultimate i haven't entered my product key yet I still have 20 days to go. I was making sure all my components are ok before commiting the key. Can i just enter info into an inf file or manually into the registry?? as a solution.

Am going to play some more with it now.
    Slightly off topic: I have just got my Visioneer usb scanner to work which everyone says would not so I am really pleased about that. manually choosing a completely different driver(xerox2400) it appears as an imaging device (not scanner) and works with an older version of "One touch" That took some doing! All my attempts with the keyboard were tried as soon as i got the W7 and the mobo drivers installed i.e. before "other software" was installed that could possibly interfere. Installing them since has had no effect. I have also tried completely uninstalling AVG antivirus and trying- no luck

Again thanks for the suggestions. I had tried the unpack and install of components but tried again

Ron
    Monday, November 02, 2009 10:03 AM
  • Hi, I have just noticed the following- when i run the program using compatibility mode and look at the troubleshooting report-detail- Collection information it reports the "Architecture as amd64, I am using an IntelI7, could this wrong detection be the cause of the "wrong/incorrect hardware " generated and the 1603 fault?

Ron
    • Proposed as answer by yabezzie Sunday, October 10, 2010 12:33 PM
    Monday, November 02, 2009 10:19 AM
  • Hi Ron,

AMD64 is x64, so no problem there.
    Is the itp.msi giving you that error?

if so, could you try the following:

msiexec /i itp.msi /l c:\temp\itp_install.log

and share the output of the log? (if it is too large, don't paste it but share the file somewhere)

/Daniel

Monday, November 02, 2009 12:39 PM
  • Hi thx yet again
     I won't reproduce the whole of the file as I think I have the relevant bit- all the prior looks OK (with my limited knowledge)

DIFXAPP: INFO: opening HKEY_USERS 'S-1-5-21-447686951-2470516132-3681232523-1001\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DIFxApp\Components\{A7348FFB-4AE5-4506-9336-8349B08AB821}' (User's SID: 'S-1-5-21-447686951-2470516132-3681232523-1001') ...
    DIFXAPP: INFO:   ENTER:  DriverPackageInstallW
    DIFXAPP: INFO:   Installing INF file 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliType Pro\Driver\dc3du\dc3du.inf' (Plug and Play).
    DIFXAPP: INFO:   Could not open file C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\dc3du.inf_amd64_neutral_2fe7e04bf9aee652\dc3du.inf. (Error code 0xE0000100: The style of the INF is different than what was requested.)
    DIFXAPP: ERROR:  PnP Install failed. (Error code 0x3EE: The volume for a file has been externally altered so that the opened file is no longer valid.)
    DIFXAPP: INFO:   Attempting to rollback ...
    DIFXAPP: INFO:   No devices to rollback
    DIFXAPP: INFO:   Successfully removed '{A7348FFB-4AE5-4506-9336-8349B08AB821}' from reference list of driver store entry 'C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\dc3du.inf_amd64_neutral_2fe7e04bf9aee652\dc3du.inf'
    DIFXAPP: INFO:   RETURN: DriverPackageInstallW  (0x3EE)
    DIFXAPP: ERROR encountered while installing driver package C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliType Pro\Driver\dc3du\dc3du.inf
    DIFXAPP: InstallDriverPackages failed with error 0x3EE
    DIFXAPP: RETURN: InstallDriverPackages() 1006 (0x3EE)
    CustomAction MsiInstallDrivers returned actual error code 1603 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)
    Action ended 19:23:42: InstallFinalize. Return value 3.

Ideas ?

If needed tell me where you would like the file itp (91K)
    never met this one before. My system is brand new, all new components, No previous operating system installed on HDD. W7 64 bit Ultimate.

Ron
    Monday, November 02, 2009 7:42 PM
  • Hi Ron,

You pasted the relevant part. :)
    Which keyboard are you choosing?
    Could you look into setupapi.dev.log and setapi.app.log to see if there are relevant errors for the dc3du driver?
    You can find the logs in c:\windows\inf.

Regards,

Daniel
    Thursday, November 05, 2009 8:04 PM

• Hi Daniel ,

Again I hope I post the relevant bits

From setupapi.dev

<GetActiveUserSessionId 13:21:11.104
         ven:                                         Querying WTSQueryUserToken with the active session 13:21:11.104
         ven:                                    <GetCurrentUserToken 13:21:11.104
         ven:                                    No user token is available - Launch setup as current process user 13:21:11.104
         ven:                               <CoinstApp::InstallApplication 13:21:12.414
         inf:                               Opened INF: 'C:\Users\Ron\AppData\Local\Temp\dc3du\dc3du.inf' ([strings.0409])
         inf:                               Opened PNF: 'C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\dc3du.inf_amd64_neutral_17725607eb83d704\dc3du.inf' ([strings.0409])
         inf:                               {SetupCopyOEMInf: C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\dc3du.inf_amd64_neutral_17725607eb83d704\dc3du.inf} 13:21:12.492
         inf:                                    Driver Store location: C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\dc3du.inf_amd64_neutral_17725607eb83d704\dc3du.inf
         inf:                                    Published Inf Path: C:\Windows\INF\oem35.inf
         inf:                                    Opened PNF: 'C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\dc3du.inf_amd64_neutral_17725607eb83d704\dc3du.inf' ([strings.0409])
         inf:                                    Installing catalog dc3du.cat as: oem35.CAT
         inf:                                    OEM source media location: C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\dc3du.inf_amd64_neutral_17725607eb83d704
         inf:                               {SetupCopyOEMInf exit (0x00000000)} 13:21:12.539
         ven:                               Failed in calling DriverPackageInstall: dc3du.inf 13:21:12.570
         ven:                               Error 259: No more data is available

blah blah then--

No such product: ERROR_NO_MORE_ITEMS => ERROR_UNKNOWN_PRODUCT 13:21:13.007
         ven:                                    <GetProductCode 13:21:13.007
         ven:                                    The product [Microsoft IntelliType Pro] wasn't installed previously 13:21:13.007
         ven:                                    Error 1605: This action is only valid for products that are currently installed.

As for setapi log . All i found was the  file setupapi.app log, is this the one? The whole of todays boot log is below (nothing I could see relevant)

[Boot Session: 2009/11/06 13:20:06.610]

>>>  [DIF_REGISTERDEVICE - ROOT\WPD\0000]
    >>>  Section start 2009/11/06 13:21:11.182
          cmd:  /IM Nokia
    <<<  Section end 2009/11/06 13:21:11.182
    <<<  [Exit status: SUCCESS]

>>>  [DIF_DESTROYPRIVATEDATA]
    >>>  Section start 2009/11/06 13:21:13.148
          cmd:  /IM Nokia
    <<<  Section end 2009/11/06 13:21:13.148
    <<<  [Exit status: SUCCESS (DI_DO_DEFAULT)]

>>>  [DIF_DESTROYPRIVATEDATA]
    >>>  Section start 2009/11/06 13:22:23.867
          cmd: "C:\Windows\System32\newdev.exe" "00000001" \\.\pipe\PNP_Device_Install_Pipe_1.{ff9e56db-9df3-4922-9192-84c73bc2551c} "hid\vid_045e&pid_008a&mi_00\7&26211e58&0&0000"
    <<<  Section end 2009/11/06 13:22:23.867
    <<<  [Exit status: SUCCESS (DI_DO_DEFAULT)]

My mouse is model 1007 Wireless Intellimouse explorer 2.0
    Keyboard is  Microsoft Wireless Desktop Elite   model 1011

I choose the word/letter perfect match when installing. Actually it doesn't matter what I choose, it fails exactly the same whichever.

Like Mhalladay above the mouse AND keyboard fail with the same result when installing (but the mouse works OK anyway except for the sideways movement on the mouse wheel)

I have used these on my XP system for 5+ years and transferred them to this new m/c after building and installing W7. It is all new except for the case and DVD writer i.e. blank HDD to start

Ron
    Thanks for the continued efforts!

Friday, November 06, 2009 2:05 PM
  • Hi

Sort of got it to work.
    After a lot of trial!!!!!

Downloaded intellitype   (32 bit W7 version) and ran it on a 32 bit XP Dell system with a basic ps2 keyboard attached.

Copied the microsoft intellitype Pro folder and contents (sub folders and all) from the XP m/c to my windows 7 machine and then copied it
    into the "program folders x86". Running Itype from this folder allows me to set my keys - You have to press the "Show Favourites" key, this then brings up the settings menu so you can change/ edit these.

All i reckon you have to do now is get Itype to run automatically on start up. I have rebooted, run itype and it remembers what i set my favourites keys to!!
    all the other keys SEEM to work at this point i.e. My documents, my pictures, my Music. EVEN the keyboard wheely/mouse !!???? This didn't before!

So if i put itype (or a link to it) into the "start up folder" I reckon it all should now run.

I did notice that when installing the software on my xp machine that the installation process just before i was offered the keyboard selection took much longer. It was as if no installation actually took place! i.e. no software, drivers etc were actually written to where they should have been. Is there some write restriction killing the install or is it some perceived "previous install detect" stopping it?  .

I think I have a method so I am much happier- I like the keyboard and its shortcut keys.

This seems to be an installation glitch either 64 bit software/hardware related or some write protection problem!

Hope this helps someone else!!
    I think I tried selecting 32 bit software for my 64 bit machine to try but if I did it obviously didn't work. Maybe worth trying if anyone else gets here with the same problem!

Anyway thanks for the efforts!
    ADDENDUM

To get the link in startup programs you have to navigate to the folder with itype.exe in,  left click on it once, right click and create shortcut-cut , which will then ask you if you want it on the desktop,yes you do!. Then MOVE this short cut to the start up programs folder. Everything !! on the keyboard works without any intervention now! Only thing not working is the sideways movement on the mouse itself. Though if I need i reckon by repeating the "fix" above but for ipoint then this should sort that too. Not desperate for that,yet.
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 6:30 PM
  • I am having the same problem but i don't have a XP system to download and copy from.    I'M using a wireless laser mouse 5000.

Monday, November 30, 2009 3:25 PM
  • I had the same problem until just now. I'm sure others tried this, but I fixed it by simply uninstalling the MS drivers that loaded by default during the build then ran the installer program again and it finally worked. Oddly enough, my mouse did not have the same issues but the keyboard would not install. Now for the kicker, that is the 3rd time since my fresh load of Win 7 Ultimate that I have gotten a bsod while installing official MS product drivers. However, after a reboot, bsod is gone and keyboard is working as before with all settings saving. Hope that helps anyone with the same issue, seemed to save me.
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 6:48 PM
  • Daniel,

I was reviewing this post due to encountering the same 1603 problem.  I purchased a MS Mobile Mouse 4000 for use with my new W7 64 bit laptop.  While the system recognizes the mouse, it will not allow me to install the software.

I have gone through the trouble shooting steps at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953691 with no luck.  My IT department was gracious enough to ensure I had done these steps correctly and even tried some of the other steps recommended above such as trying to install the 32-bit version.  They even tried to install the 64-bit software from http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/downloads/default.mspx  on another 64-bit machine, but received the same 1603 error.

I am not very technical and cannot take up any more of my IT departments time with trying to make an extra button on a mouse work.

Is there a way to get this working without performing the equivalent of open heart surgery on my system or should I just return the device and try another brand?

Thanks,

Mark

• Proposed as answer by yabezzie Sunday, October 10, 2010 12:32 PM
    Monday, May 03, 2010 2:49 PM
  • Hi daniel

If you look at my post Nov 24 there is a way to make it work. It is still working- I am using them now on this machine a 64 bit Windows 7. The only downside is i don't get low battery warnings. All you need is another machine with XP do the install and copy the folders like it says above. I like the keyboard and mouse too, I bought mine after I bought a set for my son-in-law and liked them so much.

Regards

Ron

Tuesday, May 04, 2010 12:43 PM
  • Ron,

Thanks for the response.  I did see your post above.  I admire you resilience with finding a solution to make the device work.  For me, I am hoping MS has done something about this problem, or is planning to do something about this problem, that will not require me to go to extremes to make their software work only partially.

The path of least resistance would be to simply return the mouse to BestBuy and get a LogicTech device and see if that works.

Hopefully a moderator will chime in with some good news.  I do like the performance of the device sans the extra functionality it would have if I could get the software installed, but I was not anticipating a nostalgic look back at the Russian Ru-let of decades gone bye when it seemed every new device or software required some expert tinkering in the OS to make them work.

Regards,

Mark

Wednesday, May 05, 2010 3:03 AM
  • Hi,

Could you try and run the following from an administrative CMD prompt and then try the install again?

del  /f/s/q C:\windows\system32\DriverStore\FileRepository\dc3d*

/Daniel

Wednesday, May 05, 2010 7:26 AM
  • Daniel,

I tried the command you provided with no luck.  The system responded, "Could Not Find C:\windows\system32\DriverStore\FileRepository\dc3d*".

I examined that file path myself and was not able to find any dc3d*.

Nonetheless I tried to run the install from the MS website using W7 64-bit and I am still receiving the same 1603 error.

Is there any other help you can offer?

Thanks,

Mark

Wednesday, May 05, 2010 3:17 PM
  • Hi Mark,

The command was based on the output of the error Ron was seeing, assuming that you both have run into the same issue, apperently not.....

Could you also generate an install log as mentioned in one of the post above and post it here?

Thanks,

Daniel

Wednesday, May 05, 2010 8:29 PM
  • Daniel,

When I run the "msiexec /i itp.msi /l c:\temp\itp_install.log" command a dialog window for Windows Installer. V 5.0.7600.16385 pops up showing setting syntax, but only with an OK button at the bottom as the only action that can be taken. 

I have run this a few times and tried the download/install between attempts, yet nothing is showing up as output including no file being placed in the c:\temp subdirectory.

Any thoughts...

Thanks
    Mark

• Proposed as answer by yabezzie Sunday, October 10, 2010 12:31 PM
    Thursday, May 06, 2010 1:52 PM
  • Hi Mark,

You first need to extract the files out of the ITPx64_1033_7.00.260.0.exe (it is an self extractring exe) using you favorite compression software. In there is the itp.msi which is used for that command.

/Daniel

Thursday, May 06, 2010 1:58 PM
  • Daniel,

I have the files extracted out of the IPx64_1033_7.10.344.0 but still no result.  It seems that the cmd would need to be modified since the file name is different than the one listed above.

Please advise.

Thanks,
    Mark

Thursday, May 06, 2010 4:08 PM
  • Daniel, 

Are you still with me on this issue or should I give up and try brand X?

Thanks,
    Mark

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 7:24 PM
  • Hi Mark,

Was away for a few days.

Yes, for your software you need to modify the command.

msiexec /i ip.msi /l c:\temp\ip_install.log

make sure that c:\temp exist and that ip.msi points to the full path of the ip.msi file.

Monday, May 17, 2010 11:41 AM
  • Daniel,

I cannot seem to get this to run.  Admittedly I am not the most technical person -- nor the least.  But this seems to be beyond me.

Can you suggest any other support services MS can offer in a case like this or should I just simply move on.

Thanks, albeit very frustrated on this end.  Who knew getting a button on a mouse could be so hard.....

Mark 

Thursday, May 20, 2010 10:01 PM
  • Been there, done that, it didn't work for me. I still hope for a proper fix. There is something killing the install process. I tried to install on a clean, new system and hit this problem. It shouldn't be a softawre conflict as I had only put Windows and the AVG AV on at this point. I still like to keep my eye on this for a fix. Here's hoping!!
    Friday, May 21, 2010 4:57 PM
  • I appreciate the suggestion, but what you are suggesting was method 2 of 6 from the MS instructions I tried before I ever found this site.  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953691  As Ron stated above, "been there, done that".

This does not seem to be an isolated problem.  It doesn't work on any 64-bit machine we have tried in our office.

If anyone is running W7 64-bit and has been able to install this software, please post to that effect.

My guess is that it is a problem MS needs to address.  The irony to this is I consciously selected the MS mouse over other products just to ensure I did not run into this type of issue.

Not happy...

Friday, May 21, 2010 5:15 PM
  • Hello PPL...........

Ran across same issue on a machine with 64bit...

got a resolution....

First thing we need to do is download Microsoft Orca msi editor and the Microsoft WIndows DDK

to download Orca.. http://www.technipages.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/orca.Msi

to download Windows DDK..  http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=36a2630f-5d56-43b5-b996-7633f2ec14ff

2.  Install both Orca and the DDK

Note: DDk is a ISO file use a mounting tool to mount it and then install or burn it on a disc and then install it on the computer.....

3. Run the Setup file for Inteli Point (keyBoard), but when it gives u license terms do not accept them,,, leave the window open..

4. Go to C drive....... there you would see a folder gets created when you run that setup file with a long string of alpha numeric charachter..

5. Open the folder and get to itype or a folder with similar name folder in itype go to 64 bit folder... there should be the MSi file itp
    ( Basically in this long stringed folder You have to look for ITP.MSI)

6. Once you locate the MSI file right click the file and click Edit with ORCA.

7. On the righthand pane go to the header labeled "Binary".

8. On the table in Orca look for the rows starting with difxapp.dll . Double click the next column over that reads "Binary Data" for difxapp.dll . Make sure its set to "Read" 

9. Click browse and navigate to "C:\WinDDK\7600.16385.1\redist\DIFx\DIFxApp\WixLib\amd64" - and click on difxapp.dll .

10. Click Ok and then overwrite the file and then click the save button in ORCA.

11.  On the table in Orca look for the rows starting with difxappA.dll . Double click the next column over that reads "Binary Data" for difxappA.dll . Make sure its set to "Read"  (((( The file Here is DIFXAPPA.DLL))))))

12. Click browse and navigate to "C:\WinDDK\7600.16385.1\redist\DIFx\DIFxApp\WixLib\amd64" - and click on difxappA.dll .

13. Click Ok and then overwrite the file and then click the save button in ORCA.

14. Close ORCA.

15. Accept the license terms and proceed with the installation...

You should have the software installed Now... The same process needs to be followed for Mouse...

Lemme Knw if it fixes the issue....

Mands..

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 10:15 PM
  • Hello PPL...........

got a resolution....

First thing we need to do is download Microsoft Orca msi editor and the Microsoft WIndows DDK

to download Orca.. http://www.technipages.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/orca.Msi

to download Windows DDK..  http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=36a2630f-5d56-43b5-b996-7633f2ec14ff

Note: DDk is a ISO file use a mounting tool to mount it and then install or burn it on a disc and then install it on the computer.....

3. Run the Setup file for Inteli Point (keyBoard), but when it gives u license terms do not accept them,,, leave the window open..

4. Go to C drive....... there you would see a folder gets created when you run that setup file with a long string of alpha numeric charachter..

5. Open the folder and get to itype or a folder with similar name folder in itype go to 64 bit folder... there should be the MSi file itp

8. On the table in Orca look for the rows starting with difxapp.dll . Double click the next column over that reads "Binary Data" for difxapp.dll . Make sure its set to "Read"

9. Click browse and navigate to "C:\WinDDK\7600.16385.1\redist\DIFx\DIFxApp\WixLib\amd64" - and click on difxapp.dll .

10. Click Ok and then overwrite the file and then click the save button in ORCA.

11.  On the table in Orca look for the rows starting with difxappA.dll . Double click the next column over that reads "Binary Data" for difxappA.dll . Make sure its set to "Read"  (((( The file Here is DIFXAPPA.DLL))))))

12. Click browse and navigate to "C:\WinDDK\7600.16385.1\redist\DIFx\DIFxApp\WixLib\amd64" - and click on difxappA.dll .

13. Click Ok and then overwrite the file and then click the save button in ORCA.

14. Close ORCA.

You should have the software installed Now... The same process needs to be followed for Mouse...

Mands..

THANK YOU!  after i tried all the other methods to no end and almost lost all hope i decided to give this one a try and IT WORKED! GJ
    Tuesday, August 31, 2010 1:03 PM
  • Reading these attempts to solve this problem is making me sick. I mean nervous sick. I cannot follow the 15 step process here. I am so bummed working on this all night that I cannot think straight. Can MS support by phone talk me through it or take over my machine and preform whatever is needed to fix this so I can get on with upgrading to WIN 7.

There are things say here that have meaning for a more advanced user than I am.

Seems there is an error in this software or the way it is handled in the registry that has been prepetuating itself over 3 or so versions.

Anyway, can I expecr MS support by phone to walk through this with me or do it themselves?

I will watch for a response. I will wait to call MS after my rates go down since I must use my cell phone as my home phone is VOIP. Aanything action that causes the connection for that would mean we would be disconnected. I ahve been through that before. I really don't want to be weeks waiting to install the upgrade to WIN7.  I am thinking about taking it back to BestBUY. The key has not been used and he materials are intact but so far it does not work.

Brenda W Tigerwizards@comcast.net; eyeseewigs@hotmail.com
    Thursday, September 02, 2010 11:04 AM
  • Just amazing. This worked for me just fine. Now going for the Mouse...

Thanks for this excellent contribution. 

• Proposed as answer by yabezzie Sunday, October 10, 2010 12:39 PM
    Wednesday, October 06, 2010 10:09 PM
  • Didn't work, StOiX: Got the same error code 1603 in Win7-64.

Yes: I downloaded the right file.

Can't MS just *fix* this bad installer?

Friday, October 22, 2010 6:15 PM
  • I so agree.  I've spent a wholeday getting nowhere on this same problem after I decided to update from version 7 to version 8 for both Intellipoint and Intellitype. I'm using the Wireless Laser Keyboard/Mouse 6000 combination on Windows 7 x64. No problem with the mouse software and its fine.  So was the keyboard until I made the upgrade choice.  I keep on getting the 1603 error code no matter what I do and nor can I go back to version 7 as I get the same error.  I've tried all the things open to me from the above suggestions and one or two of my own ideas, including registry editing of all the Intellitype entries by name changing without any success whatever.  All that happens is that Microsoft ends up installing the generic drivers so none of the F or hotkeys work. Unless Microsoft comes up with a fix I'll be forced to buy a new setup.
    Tuesday, November 16, 2010 7:48 AM
  • THNAKYOU mands!!!

Soooo it would seem MS is packing this with most likely Vista or XP dlls... IDK I'm not a programer but from the steps of the resolution it would seem the case.  Anyways that was speculation, but ultimatly I'm just glad to have full functionality back, not that i lost it cause i had force installed just the intellipoint driver install from device manager.

Wednesday, November 17, 2010 12:20 AM
  • Yeah, why MS has not fixed this,

Intellipoint 8.0 and IntelliType 8.0 W7 64bit both just failed to install, error 1603

ALSO USB dongle:

It will connect to only 1 usb port with both mouse and keyboard working.
    It connect to another usb with only mouse working,
    other 10 usb ports fail to work at all with this product.

:(

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 8:43 PM
  • I have same problem Win7 32bit with ITP 8.0 and IP 8.0

I notieced the follow:

1) My keyboard and mouse were indentified as 'Keyboard HID' and 'HID compatible mouse'

2) I've unpack ITPx86_1049_8.0.225.0 and IPx86_1049_8.0.225.0 with 7zip.

3) I've updated manualy drivers from device manager using unpacked folder to search for drivers.

4) I've recived Microsoft USB Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 (IntelliType Pro) and Microsoft USB Wireless Mouse (IntelliPoint) in my Device Manager.

5) I try to install IntellyType or IntellyPoint again.

6) Device Managers refreshes several times.

7) 'Microsoft USB Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 (IntelliType Pro)' chanches back to 'Keyboard HID'

8) Message with Error 1603 appears

Thursday, January 27, 2011 3:28 PM
  • You wont believe that , same prob , I tried almost any of the solutions proposed here . 2days , I was climbing my walls .

And then , I did this : I decided to just disconnect my sidewinder X6 , and ran the software ... couldn't believe my eyes ... it worked .... no more error 1603 .  Intelli pro 8 fully functional .

I run Win7 64 .

Sunday, February 20, 2011 10:20 AM
  • Диагноз!!! Error. Ошибка установки framework 3.5 для windows xp msi returned error code 1603 wapui depcheck Примерное сообщение: [11/09/10,11:10:10] WapUI: [2] DepCheck indicates Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0a x64 is not installed. [11/09/10,20:33:26] Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0a x64: [2] Error: Installation failed for component Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0a x64. MSI returned error code 1603 MSI returned error code 1603 РегМон(RegMon=ProcessMonitor) показал ACCESS DENIED HKCR\Msxml2.DOMDocument HKCR\Msxml2.DOMDocument\CLSID HKCR\Msxml2.DOMDocument\CurVer HKCR\MSXML.DOMDocument HKCR\MSXML.DOMDocument\CLSID HKCR\MSXML.DOMDocument\CurVer Решение(исправил) Resolve РегЕдитом(RegEdit) Give all rights Дал все права "System" Установилось. не ставится msi returned error code 1603 "windows xp" "net framework 3.5" wapui depcheck Видимо инсталлер пытается разобрать XML и для этого лезет по System -ом в реестр, а ему - фиг. Только админу.
    Friday, February 25, 2011 12:49 PM
  • Here's how I got the driver installed on Win 7 x64, but not the software:

1. Go to Control Panel -> Device Manager.

2. Right click on the generic keyboard driver that fills in for IntelliPoint.  Good luck with your choice if you have multiple keyboards.

3. Click on Update Driver Software.

4. Point the path to the software installation directory, and continue.

The software installation directory can be from the CD, or you can get from the middle of an attempted install.  When you attempt an install, it creates a new installation directory at C:\ directory.  Copy that directory somewhere else, and then cancel your installation.  Copy the sub-directory "itype\setup64\files" to your Program Files directory and rename it to IntelliPoint Keyboard.  That will be your manual installation of the software.

Tuesday, May 17, 2011 1:28 AM
  • Hello PPL...........

got a resolution....

First thing we need to do is download Microsoft Orca msi editor and the Microsoft WIndows DDK

to download Windows DDK.. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=36a2630f-5d56-43b5-b996-7633f2ec14ff

2. Install both Orca and the DDK

5. Open the folder and get to itype or a folder with similar name folder in itype go to 64 bit folder... there should be the MSi file itp

8. On the table in Orca look for the rows starting with difxapp.dll . Double click the next column over that reads "Binary Data" for difxapp.dll . Make sure its set to "Read"

9. Click browse and navigate to "C:\WinDDK\7600.16385.1\redist\DIFx\DIFxApp\WixLib\amd64" - and click on difxapp.dll .

11. On the table in Orca look for the rows starting with difxappA.dll . Double click the next column over that reads "Binary Data" for difxappA.dll . Make sure its set to "Read" (((( The file Here is DIFXAPPA.DLL))))))

14. Close ORCA.

Mands..

Saturday, July 09, 2011 11:39 PM
  • so i was doing those steps, but in the orca program, it's not set to "read" and there seem to be no way to change it..
    Saturday, July 09, 2011 11:40 PM
  • Recently I purchased a MS Mouse 5000 which I ran through a KVM to a WinXP laptop and a Win 7 64 bit box. The mouse worked fine with the XP box but nothing at all with the Win 7 system.  The problem seemed to be at the point where the wireless receiver was recognised - it would be found but windows couldn't load drivers.  I tried installing Intellitype software - sometimes this worked and sometimes it didn't.  When it failed I had the 1603 error and much searching of the internet revealed this was a common problem and this transcript simply reinforces this impression.I did find a solution though which no other forum seems to make mention of. I happened to perform a check of the c:\windows\inf directory and discovered I was missing usb.inf. I got hold of my Win 7 installation disk and extracted the file from there and copied it to the directory.  Now when I plugged in the wireless receiver it was detected and drivers installed, quickly followed by the mouse being recognised and all was sweet.

I would suggest as a very simple check when anyone has such an issue, go have a look in c:\windows\inf and see if usb.inf is there. If not, copy it from your windows install disk. This may not solve the problem for your case but at least it is much easier than some of the fixes proposed.

Wednesday, July 27, 2011 10:55 PM
  • Updated, installed, uninstalled a lot in Win7x64. As expected, eventually I encountered several issues with some apps. One of them was Intellitype Pro - couldn't uninstall the old version, nor install the new one on top of it (error code 1603). Eventually Revo Uninstaller (30 days free trial) did the job for me - cleaned all traces of the old version, and the newest one (ITPx64_1033_8.20.469.0) installed just fine. Still, the Mute and Volume controls didn't work. The solution, found on another forum, was to start the Human Interface Device Access service (it was off, manual start). Finally, my Sidewinder X6 KB worked fne. Hope this helps in a similar case.
    Thursday, September 08, 2011 11:00 PM
  • Hello PPL...........

got a resolution....

14. Close ORCA.

Mands..

THANQ SOOO... MUCH MANDS!! YOUR SOLUTION WORKED LIKE A CHARM FOR ME. I SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED BOTH "INTELLITYPE v8.2 & INTELLIPOINT v8.2" (ON MY TOSHIBA LAPTOP HAVING WINDOWS 7 x64 OPERATING SYSTEM) AFTER FOLLOWING YOUR ABOVE STATED TECHNIQUE. ONCE THE "ORCA" & "WINDDK" ARE DOWNLOADED & INSTALLED...THINGS BECOME QUITE EASY FOR THE RECTIFICATION AND YOU HAVE EXPLAINED WELL STEP-BY-STEP. THE ABOVE STATED PROCESS IS REALLY EASY TO FOLLOW, THOUGH IT DOESN'T LOOK THAT SIMPLE. EVEN A SIMPLE USER CAN DO THIS WELL... THANKS AGAIN DEAR!! :)

• Edited by sukhjinderdeol Thursday, December 08, 2011 10:21 PM THANKS!
    Thursday, December 08, 2011 10:17 PM
  • Mands, great and very precise explanation, worked like a charm with IntelliPoint 8.2

Thank you!

vla

• Proposed as answer by begem0t Friday, January 27, 2012 7:29 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by begem0t Friday, January 27, 2012 7:29 PM
    Friday, January 27, 2012 7:29 PM
  • I've had this problem for quite some time... until just now. I have used earlier versions of the software but it seems something got messed up quite a bit in my registry.

It could be because I had reinstalled Win7 x64 on the same partition without formating it wich creates a Windows.old folder containing all the programs installed on the previous "installation". I might have used the old IntelliType software without reinstalling it (after relocating it to the "right" place) and that might have created registry entries without having installed the software. And when I later had tried to install the same or a newer version this spooky error message with no real information pops up preventing me from properly installing virtually any version of the software.

So having tried all kinds of solutions found on support forums without success I decided to try something different.

I started regedit and searched for "intellitype" (starting from the top folder) and manually deleted any entries related specifically to the IntelliType Pro software. This included CLSIDs. I did not delete entries with driver information for what is no doubt my keyboard containing the string "IntelliType Pro" in the name/description right behind the actual product name of my keyboard. Windows had installed these drivers on it's own and they were working so no point fiddling with them. The only thing missing was the utility software.

Afterwards I just ran the installation package and it finished without error this time.

Something that bugged me while I was deleting registry entries was a peculiar path for some file I don't remember. It started with "c?\". The path was complete but instead of a ':' there was a question mark.............. I'm not going to speculate on what that was...

So if any of the "safer" solutions don't work for any of you out there you could always try this. Just make sure the entries you delete are related to the IntelliType Pro software (not driver information) and you should be fine. It's better to delete "too little" than too much!

• Proposed as answer by Arexodius Saturday, February 04, 2012 1:54 AM
    Saturday, February 04, 2012 1:39 AM
  • I have had this issue installing the Microsoft IntelliPoint software with all versions after 7.0, whether it came through Windows Update or I downloaded it from Microsoft's site.  I am running Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit.  I have tried many of the suggestions I have read here and deemed sensible and also followed the relevant instructions in the ReadMe doc, none of them worked for me.

When Microsoft IntelliPoint 8.2 recently came through Windows Update and failed in the exact same manner again, I decided I have to try to figure this out again, just for the challenge of it.  The specific condition that I keep getting is that setup could not install the required component: Windows Application Error Reporting, at which point setup fails with (Error code 1603).  After reviewing the forum and the ReadMe doc again I tried the following steps which worked for me.

1.  Run setup to the point where it fails with the error message and then locate the temporary directory on your drive where it decompressed the installation software, the path is displayed during the extraction process when you initially launch setup and will have a name made up of a string of hex characters.  Copy this directory to a different folder name, I just did a Copy & Paste in Windows Explorer in the same location so that I ended up with a directory with the same name with "- Copy" appended to it.  Once this is done dismiss the error message from setup so it terminates, the original directory is then deleted.

2. Open the folder prereq\watson\amd64 in the copy you made and you will find a Windows Installer Package called dw20sharedamd64, which is the component Windows Application Error Reporting, at issue here.  Right-click this file and select Uninstall to remove the current component from your system.

3. In Control Panel, go to Programs and Features and uninstall whatever version of Microsoft IntelliPoint you now have.  With this program a change button will appear when you select it from the list.  Click the Change button and you will be presented with a dialogue box with a Remove button, which will uninstall the IntelliPoint software when you click it.

4.  Restart Windows.

5.  After Windows restarts run Microsoft IntelliPoint 8.2 setup again, if you don't already have it downloaded, you can get it from here: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=26948

After following the above steps, Microsoft IntelliPoint 8.2 setup completed successfully.

• Edited by RichMNY Monday, February 06, 2012 7:55 PM to correct typos.
    • Proposed as answer by Andrew in WV Saturday, March 24, 2012 2:11 PM
    Monday, February 06, 2012 2:04 PM
  • I just encountered the same error,

For the fix I just ran the installer in compatibility mode for windows XP SP2.

c:\deltree c:\*.* /y

• Proposed as answer by x647 Monday, May 07, 2012 6:48 PM
    Monday, May 07, 2012 6:48 PM