none
audiodg.exe Windows Audio Device Graph Isolation memory leak?

Question

• In task manager audiodg.exe Windows Audio Device Graph Isolation slowly builds up memory until it maxs out...How do I stop it..

Running Windows 7  Build 7100...(64bit)

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, 2400 MHz (9 x 267)
    Asus P5N32-E SLI  
    Creative SB X-Fi Fatality XtremeGamer Sound Card
    4gb of ram
    Friday, June 19, 2009 7:34 AM

Answers

• Hi Ghostalker,

Sounds like a similar problem to what others have reported with Vista.  The cause is usually faulty audio drivers.  For a point of reference, see this comment by Larry Osterman.
    Friday, June 19, 2009 9:17 AM

All replies

• Hi Ghostalker,

Sounds like a similar problem to what others have reported with Vista.  The cause is usually faulty audio drivers.  For a point of reference, see this comment by Larry Osterman.
    Friday, June 19, 2009 9:17 AM
  • I found a temporary workaround for Sound Blaster cards to prevent memory leaking in Audiodg.exe
    Should work in Vista and Windows 7 i think.

1. Right click speakericon in bottom right of the taskbar. Select "Playback Devices".
    2. Left click "Speakers/Creative SB X-Fi/Default Device" then click Properties.
    3. Click on the Sound Blaster tab, And tick the "Disable Sound Blaster Enhancements" box.

I tried this and my audiodg.exe remains stable now, no increasing anymore whatsoever.

Let me know how it works.

UPDATE : I see you already know about it.
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/2009.06.windowsconfidential.aspx
    Sunday, August 02, 2009 2:02 AM
  • The fix above by trackah123 works in win7 64 bit with a xfi titanium soundcard.  Thanks,
    Wednesday, April 21, 2010 10:27 PM
  • This solution also "solved" my memory leak problem, but it essentially negated every reason why I bought the sound card in the first place. Surround Sound is gone, volume is so low that I have to turn up the speaker volume (yes, I'm at 100% for the sound card) and now any other process I have running that makes any sound at all sounds like an explosion.

BTW, I am running Vista Home Premium with the Creative SB X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty. Their tech support is terrible. Their only recommendatios were to uninstall and reinstall the card. Genius.

Thursday, August 19, 2010 3:10 AM
  • update:

Just tried the MS hotfix for this problem, which also didn't work.

Thursday, August 19, 2010 4:33 AM
  • nice man it works  thanks alot
    Tuesday, March 08, 2011 11:40 PM
  • The Windows Vista file audiodg.exe is causing high CPU load (100%). Has anyone found a work around for it short of removing the sound card
    Saturday, April 02, 2011 11:17 PM
  • try this it worked for me, no more alerts from norton 360 v5 for high audiodg.exe usage.

turn down computer sound card volume to 50% at the task bar, and let ur added-on speakers amp ur volume and adjust volume from there.

Friday, May 27, 2011 8:22 PM
  • i ended the process and my sound still players and i don't notice any difference 

it worked for me

Wednesday, January 11, 2012 1:59 AM
  • This problem is as persistant as anything i have seen. Microsoft is doing nothing to solve it.

The Audiodg.exe seems to have a problem when the PC audio driver uses some "exotic" features like, surround sound, sub woofer, 3D sound effects etc.

So far i have located this problem to realtek sound cards and a few SB cards.

Most suggestions that are made are suggesting to disable all sound enhancements.

But why bother having anything than plain old stereo speakers with scratchy sound?? Not a good idea.

My suggestion is to write the vendor or Microsoft and get THEM to fix this 3 year old problem!!

My computer Acer 7738G was able to play anything, Video, music, games, flash untill recent updates from MS.

Now i can hardly open Windows Media Player without having a CPU usage of 70%. Not even playing a song.

If installed windows XP on a 0.3Ghz machine. it would use 5-8% playing a song.

WFT is going on Microsoft? Having stock shares in manufactors of computers??

I am still without a clue on what to do.

Friday, February 17, 2012 8:34 PM
  • I suspect this problem is due to the introduction of some new Microsoft required protocol for actively freeing audio memory when using this device.  I notice that the Cepstral "William" TTS voice appears to have this problem, but the native Microsoft "Anna" voice does not when both are called from the same SAPI 5.3 aware application.  Casual developers may be unaware of this new requirement.

It is also one of those issues that can be tolerated for relatively long periods of time with most applications, so there is little incentive for developers go to the expense of recoding their software to fix the problem.

Sunday, February 19, 2012 6:31 AM
  • Yeah this problem exist also in windows 8 I notice my sound popping and going from low volume to normal volume on it's own, check my task and it was using over 1.3GB killed it and it reset and all was good, having Skype on the go with a conference call, playing steam games like imposters did not help I think lol. So yes I would say something is causing this to have a memory leak.

Christopher LeBreton

• Edited by Chris LB Wednesday, November 14, 2012 8:21 AM
    Wednesday, November 14, 2012 8:20 AM