none
windows update error 8E5E0442

Question

• hi, i searched the forum for solutions and to my surprise, nobody has reported this error yet.

since about a month ago i suddenly stopped being able to install windows updates. the error code has always been 8E5E0442, and any updates through windows update is un-installable (including windows defender definition files). wonder if anyone knows fixes to this? thanks.
    Thursday, June 05, 2008 3:28 PM

Answers

• Erestel

Perform the following steps to reset the Windows Update component.

1. Stop the Background Intelligent Transfer Service and the Automatic Updates service. To do this, follow these steps:

a. Click Start/All Programs/Accessories. Right click 'Command Prompt' and select 'Run As Administrator'. Click 'Continue' on the UAC prompt.

b. At the command prompt, type the following commands, and then press ENTER after each command:

net stop wuauserv
    net stop bits 

2. Rename the "Catroot2" folder. To do this, follow these steps:

Type the following commands, and then press Enter after each command.

net stop cryptsvc
    ren %systemroot%\System32\Catroot2 oldcatroot2
    net start cryptsvc

3. Rename the "SoftwareDistribution" folder:

Type the following command, and then press Enter.

ren %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

4. Register the files that are used by Windows Update and Microsoft Update. To do this, follow these steps:

a. At the command prompt, type the following commands, press ENTER after each command, and then click OK every time that you receive a verification message:

regsvr32 wuapi.dll
    regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
    regsvr32 wucltux.dll
    regsvr32 wups2.dll
    regsvr32 wups.dll
    regsvr32 wuwebv.dll

5. Start the Background Intelligent Transfer Service, the Automatic Updates service, and the Event Log service. To do this, follow these steps:

a. At the command prompt, type the following commands, and then press ENTER after each command:

net start bits
    net start wuauserv
    net start Eventlog
    exit

Reboot the computer and try Windows Update again.

Let us know the results.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the right of this message.
    This will help others who are having this issue find the answer faster.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
    Thursday, June 05, 2008 5:14 PM

All replies

• Erestel

1. Stop the Background Intelligent Transfer Service and the Automatic Updates service. To do this, follow these steps:

a. Click Start/All Programs/Accessories. Right click 'Command Prompt' and select 'Run As Administrator'. Click 'Continue' on the UAC prompt.

b. At the command prompt, type the following commands, and then press ENTER after each command:

net stop wuauserv
    net stop bits 

net stop cryptsvc
    net start cryptsvc

ren %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

4. Register the files that are used by Windows Update and Microsoft Update. To do this, follow these steps:

a. At the command prompt, type the following commands, press ENTER after each command, and then click OK every time that you receive a verification message:

regsvr32 wuapi.dll
    regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
    regsvr32 wucltux.dll
    regsvr32 wups2.dll
    regsvr32 wups.dll
    regsvr32 wuwebv.dll

5. Start the Background Intelligent Transfer Service, the Automatic Updates service, and the Event Log service. To do this, follow these steps:

a. At the command prompt, type the following commands, and then press ENTER after each command:

net start bits
    net start wuauserv
    net start Eventlog
    exit

Let us know the results.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the right of this message.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Thursday, June 05, 2008 5:14 PM
  • i followed the directions step by step and after restart, the windows update screen looked slightly different with all past update history cleared. it saids "unable to find updates" when i tried to look for updates, however i lost the error code and will try again soon. thanks.
    Friday, June 06, 2008 4:34 PM
  • Erestel

Very good.

I should have mentioned that you would lose the updates history in Windows Update as a result of resetting those components.

Be sure to let us know when you do get another update offered and if everything works properly, going forward.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Friday, June 06, 2008 5:20 PM
  • just checked again and i believe everything is working. thanks!
    Saturday, June 07, 2008 5:12 AM
  • Erestel

I'm very glad this solved the problem, enjoy.

-------------------

Ronnie Vernon

Microsoft MVP

Sunday, June 08, 2008 1:49 AM
  • Hi Ronnie.

I tried your recommendation to help with another update error (80070424) which a lot of people seem to be getting. It doesn't seem to work in this case. I am running Vista Home Premium X64. Along with Windows update not working, the "view installed updates" list and the "turn windows features on or off" list are both empty. Another problem that seems to be linked to it is the SFC /SCANNOW command throws out an error "Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service." Just to point out, I was running command prompt with Administration priveledges 'elevated' so it isn't UAC blocking me.

I wondered if you or anyone had had any luck figuring this one out. I have done extensive google-ing on the subject and found nada, appart from the suggestion of running a repair install. The problem with that is that I've installed SP1 and from what I can gather, running a repair now would cause more problems than it will fix. Is this the case?

I only found the updates weren't working because I wanted to remove IE8 beta, which tends to freeze on my system. A complete format and reinstall is really not an option. I can't afford to go without the system for even a day at the moment and I have no time to reinstall anyway.

Two of the things I've done to try and resolve it are registering the windows update dll files and using the BITS repair tool. The later of which told me it didn't need to run.

Thanks in advance for any info or insight you may have.

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 11:29 PM

•  Hi all,

I've got Vista Business x64. Windows update stoped working after sp1 returning error code 80070424. All procedures reported here (registring dlls, etc) didn't work also.

Any help will be very appreciated.
    Thx in advance
    Miguel
    Sunday, June 15, 2008 6:00 PM
  • Hi Miguel

I recommend using the free support for Windows Update that is being offered by Microsoft. Here is a link to that website.

No-charge: Unlimited support requests for Windows Update:
    https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?gprid=6527

Let us know if this helps.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top right of this message.
    This will help others who are having this issue find the answer quicker.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Sunday, June 15, 2008 6:22 PM
  • Big Thanx!!! it is work!
    Friday, June 27, 2008 6:36 PM
  • Skunsks

Your welcome, glad this helped.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Friday, June 27, 2008 7:48 PM
  •  

hey, i have the same problem..

and when i used the command prompt it said access is denied.

can you please help me? this is getting annoying.

thank you.

my email is luever15@yahoo.com.

Sunday, June 29, 2008 3:37 AM
  • I am getting CltuI Fatal: Failure to get notification handle, hr=80070057 on windows Vista ultimate trying to get updates from a WSUS 3.0sp1.  It does not run wuauclt on a reboot.  I have to run it manually and I get this this error in windowsupdate.log

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 8:40 PM
  • thanks a million Ronnie everthing works fine now....

cheers
    Monday, August 11, 2008 4:51 PM
  • adlanalman

Your welcome, very happy this helped.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP

Monday, August 11, 2008 10:33 PM
  • that error didn't let me zzzz I just fixed my HP laptop

gr8!!! Amazing tips...I did follow step by step and Know is working fine and fixed my updates issues.  Thankssss!!!

Thursday, September 11, 2008 6:44 AM
  •  

Hi Ronnie,

I've tried the above solution, and it still continues to say Error code 80070424.

However, when I try to Rename the "Catroot2" folder with "ren %systemroot%\System32\Catroot2 oldcatroot2" it says the system cannot find the file specified.

In addition, when I try to rename the "SoftwareDistribution" folder with "ren %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old" it says "A duplicate file exists, or the file cannot be found"

I am not sure if this has any meaning but when I type in "net start Eventlog" it says that the requested service has already been started.  More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2182.

If you could help in this matter it would be much appreciated....

Cheers.

Saturday, September 27, 2008 10:19 PM
  • This is to everyone still stuck with issues after trying Ronnie's steps. I finally solved my 80070424 issue, and let me tell you it was a lengthy process. I had to perform an upgrade install of Windows to fix the broken services. This was a bit tricky because I have SP1 installed and my original install medium is SP0.

The first thing to do is either slipstream your own DVD or find an unmolested slipstreamed DVD to download (otherwise you will have activation issues). Then it's a good idea to use the dotnet removal tool to remove all versions of .NET (as these were causing me errors during the install). Burn the slipstreamed Vista to DVD and start the setup program while in Windows. You will have the option to upgrade Windows. Choose this option and let it run through. It will restart your computer multiple times. When it finally gets back in to Windows you should notice automatic updates downloading in the system tray. You need not install .NET as .NET 3.0 should already be installed. You can check with the "Turn Windows features on or off" option within the "Programs and Features" control panel aplet.

I hope this works for everyone the way it did for me, and I'd like to say thanks to Ronnie for the steps he gave to try and fix this issue. They were instrumental in finding out just how messed up my installation was, Thanks Ronnie!

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 11:07 AM
  • thank you thank you thank you.  I was receiving the error 80070424 and this cleared it right up.  Thanks again

Brad

Wednesday, October 15, 2008 2:22 AM
  • Thebrad00

I'm glad the information in this thread helped to resolve the problem for you.

Enjoy.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Wednesday, October 15, 2008 6:33 PM
  •  

It worked good thankyou!!!! . i got this problem after i got ridoff a trojan: thanks
    Wednesday, October 29, 2008 2:16 PM
  • Ronnie,

Before I started to search for help on this specific error and found this thread, I tried the "old" solution - re-apply the latest SP for the OS. BUT Vista told me "SP1 is already installed".  Is it written into Vista that a SP can only be applied once?  If so, for what reason ? 

Appreciate!

Monday, November 03, 2008 7:23 PM
  • Hi Herman

Yes, it can be installed again, but only if the current SP1 has been uninstalled. 

The reason it cannot be reinstalled over itself is that there are so many hotfixes, security updates, system servicing files, compatibility updates, and etc, that touch just about every component in the system. With this many changes to the system and with other updates being installed after SP1 is applied, you could potentially end up with an unstable sytem.

Also, if you have any updates that require SP1 to be installed, this could be a potential disaster, because the SP1 installer would not be aware of these newer updates.

The SP1 uninstaller would also not work if you have applied the SP1 Cleanup Tool, since this would delete the uninstall files.

Hope this helps.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Monday, November 03, 2008 10:06 PM
  •  

thanks worked for me.
    Monday, November 10, 2008 1:09 AM
  • Hi Ronnie,

Has any progress been made with this 80070424 error? I've had it for some weeks now with exactly the same errors as reported here, i.e. sfc /saigon coming up with error "Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service" running from an elevated command prompt - even from the repair Vista console, etc.

I've tried all the solutions you have suggested under the guidance of Microsoft EMEA Consumer Technical Support but have ended up here:

Case Reference Number: 1085420191.

Hello Andrew,

Thank you for your response.

Since we have performed a couple of troubleshooting steps and it still does not run the updates manually, there might be some corrupted Operating System files which might be preventing us to start the Updates.

Your best option here for this particular issue would be to contact the main Microsoft helpless: 0870 6010 100 (Hours of operation: Monday - Friday 8:00 AM - 6:00 PM)

and ask for Windows Vista Support, and I am sure they would be in a much better position to help you with your issue.

I apologize for not being able to help you with this issue, as this issue is out of my 'Expertise'.

I'm sure you understand that this is a matter out of my support range.

I would close this case for now as Not Resolved.

Regards,

Rosemary.

Microsoft Product Support Services

Unfortunately, Windows Vista Support don't want to help me because I have a pre-installed OS (by HP who have also drawn a blank) and as I don't have the Vista installation DVD I can't do a repair install. I've only had this PC for about four months, my first with Vista Home Premium 64bit, and have just about finished loading all my stuff onto it. The last thing I want to do is a full system restore!!!

Can you help please?

Regards,

Andrew

Wednesday, December 17, 2008 7:08 PM
  • Of course that should have been sfc /scannow. Damn spell check!!

Andrew
    Wednesday, December 17, 2008 7:11 PM
  • Thanks for the instructions regarding clearing error code 8E5E0442.

This is the second time i've had to run this, so I had the xtra steps of renaming again the .old's that i created last time!

I have an extra error.

When i try to rename the softwaredistribution folder i get 'access is denied' error.

Does anyone know why?

I wish microsoft would fix this problem.....

Phil

Phil Brown
    Sunday, January 25, 2009 4:13 AM
  • Sorry Ronnie, but this didn't work for me. It's making me crazy... please help:
    i tried all the procedures, but when system restarts give me the same error: "80070424". I see this number everywhere, on the walls, on the tables, papers, everywhere! I need the updates, but how take them?? I used the Microsoft support but when i fixed an error this new 80070424 error came. Oh my God, i can't ask for support another time. Can ya help me? Thx champ!
    Monday, February 02, 2009 6:51 PM
  • Thank you for your expert help!  That worked like a charm!
    Friday, February 20, 2009 7:34 AM
  • thank you worked!!!!!!! nothing else has worked and this did!!!! been 4 months of no updates and now i can. thankx
    Sunday, March 01, 2009 10:37 AM
  • Ronnie,
    I've tried your solution above and didn't have any success. Any other suggestions? I really don't want to reformat. I had noticed a few days ago that the computer hasn't updated since November. Apparently this is an ongoing problem. I've tried several other suggestions, also without success.
    Thanks
    Russ
    Thursday, March 05, 2009 4:21 AM
  • WOW Thanks!!!! I had this problem for a long time and i decided to serch for a solution today. I found this forum and your help was great. The problem was error 80070424. Thanks again. I am now finishing up my WINDOWS UPDATE!!!
    Sunday, March 29, 2009 3:48 PM
  • i followed your advice and it worked beautifully thanx ronnie,my bum was nipping for a while there
    Friday, April 10, 2009 5:38 PM
  • I have this same error code, 80070424, for a couple of months now.  I have tried everything everyone suggested (not all steps were successful though).  I have tried Ron's instructions here.  Then I ran into problem when trying to rename oldcatroot2.  Anyway the process didn't solve the problem.

Now djgobby's answer is new.  I have not seen this and have not tried it. 

What do you mean by 'slipstream' DVD?  What about removing .NET?  What does that mean?  Could anyone explain please?  This error code seems to be everywhere.  Some had it fixed.  Some have not. 

Please help!  Thanks everyone for taking the time to help out fellow vista users.

Friday, May 29, 2009 8:56 AM
  • Which method did you use to fix this error?  I'm ready to pull my hair out with this problem.  I'm to the point that I didn't care to update windows any more and just rely on antivirus software to catch any threats out there.

Again, please help.
    Friday, May 29, 2009 8:59 AM
  • WOW Thanks!!!! I had this problem for a long time and i decided to serch for a solution today. I found this forum and your help was great. The problem was error 80070424. Thanks again. I am now finishing up my WINDOWS UPDATE!!!

My previous post was meant for you, theonlypillo.  What did you do to fix it?
    Friday, May 29, 2009 9:24 AM
  • Ronnie,

I can not start eventlog, Still having the error 80070424 on windows vista 64 bit edition.

I appreciate your help.

-Chris
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 6:41 AM
  • Erestel

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Thank you, this was the only fix I could find that actually worked!
    Friday, April 15, 2011 4:03 PM
  • Erestel

net stop wuauserv
    net stop bits 

net stop cryptsvc
    net start cryptsvc

ren %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old<<Where is this at? I found 2 folders with the name SoftwareDistribution

regsvr32 wuapi.dll
    regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
    regsvr32 wucltux.dll
    regsvr32 wups2.dll
    regsvr32 wups.dll
    regsvr32 wuwebv.dll

net start bits
    net start wuauserv
    net start Eventlog
    exit

Let us know the results.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    I wish that I knew where the right folder was for that second rename!!!!!
    I found out that I am missing the wucltux.dll file!!! and the  wuwebv.dll
    file!!!!
    • Edited by mistercrowley Tuesday, April 19, 2011 8:56 PM New info
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 8:53 PM
  • solved.

respect.

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 8:50 AM
  • Very good. It solved my issue.

Thanks,

Min

• Proposed as answer by HTL Tuesday, December 20, 2011 11:30 PM
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 11:29 PM
  • Hi Ronnie,

I tried the following workaround for error code 8024402f and 80244008 and it seems it's working fine . I am running Windows server 2008 R2.

Thanks a lot!

--------------

Shobhit

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 2:14 PM
  • can you please help me? this is getting annoying.

thank you.   iv_te21@hotmail.com i not ingles

i am brazilian

Sunday, February 09, 2014 12:08 PM