none
How to: Media key functionality problem, remote & keyboard keys not working (Win 7 RC)

General discussion

• I already had a topic about this, but since its locked, and some people still seem to have this problem, ill post a new one.
    No one seems to have found a solution, but i just got one, and now i wish to share it with everyone having the same problem. Hope this is the right place where to post it.

The issue: Neither are Microsoft xp media center remote (model: 1039) or Logitech G15 keyboard media buttons working.

The cause: Obviously the situation to be fixed here is very rare, since there is no reason at all that the Service "HID" would be disabled, but seems in some cases this might happen. This is only a rought guess, but it is probaply something to do with some drivers or updates you or windows have/has installed.

The solution:

1. Open start menu located on your taskbar.
    2. Right-click "Computer" and open "Manage".
    3. At the left, under "computer management", you find "Services and Applications". Open it and select "Services".
    4. Search for a service named "HID (Human Interface Device)" (or something VERY similiar).
    5. Once found, check the status. If the value is not "Started", start it.
    6. To make sure it will be on also in the future, check the Startup Type value. If not "Automatic", right click it, and select properties.
    7. Under the tab "General", change the Startup type to Automatic.
    8. Apply and close.

Note! If everything is allready as above, the problem might be caused by wrong or old drivers, but with the remote control, this shouldn't be the issue.

Hope this helped.

If you are having problems understanding the above, check out the picture below containing the steps 1 to 4.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

>>This actually is not a question, its a answer<<
    Monday, November 16, 2009 1:36 PM

All replies

• Hi DJ JohQ, thanks for sharing the solution and detailed steps with us. (I've also changed this thread from question to discussion as you are sharing a solution.)
    Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 7:53 AM
  • Dr JohQ THANK YOU!!!

seriously, that was so freaken simple, but I didnt even think to try it.

Ive been trying to get my media remote to work with Windows 7 for quite some time now (and Ive tried all sorts of fixes).

Anyways, I dont usually reply to threads, but seriously, this should be linked to all of the other media remote forums.

Kudos to you!

Tuesday, January 12, 2010 4:17 AM
  • Dr JohQ THANK YOU!!!

Ive been trying to get my media remote to work with Windows 7 for quite some time now (and Ive tried all sorts of fixes).

Anyways, I dont usually reply to threads, but seriously, this should be linked to all of the other media remote forums.

Kudos to you!

Interesting name (JohQ) - sounds just like "Joke".

The information given in this thread is too vague as to what the type and manufacturer of the WMC remotes, IR dongles, etc are to yield proper results for all.  There are multiple versions of the XP MCE remote (manufactured by MS) and several other manufacturers.  MS no longer makes the remotes/dongles and has provided none specifically for W7.

Many are procuring the wrong types of TV Tuners, Remotes and Dongles based on incorrect information online and vague information in estores.

Sean Zhu,

Since this information is now appearing in multiple locations in this forum (and others), could someome from MS Hardware please either make a post on this or can you provide information on this whose source is Microsoft?

Thank you.
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 12:01 PM
  • Regarding this post, I want to report it has fixed my issue.

With my old Microsoft Media Center Remote (Model 1039) which I got with my old Windows Media Center XP 2005. I was unable to use the pause, record, stop, fast forward, rewind, back and volume buttons.

Have been searching for a fix for weeks. While this post was  very vague, I followed it and my old remote works perfectly.

Saturday, July 31, 2010 8:33 AM
  • Dr JohQ THANK YOU!!!
    Kudos to you!

Interesting name (JohQ) - sounds just like "Joke".

The information given in this thread is too vague as to what the type and manufacturer of the WMC remotes, IR dongles, etc are to yield proper results for all.  There are multiple versions of the XP MCE remote (manufactured by MS) and several other manufacturers.  MS no longer makes the remotes/dongles and has provided none specifically for W7.

Many are procuring the wrong types of TV Tuners, Remotes and Dongles based on incorrect information online and vague information in estores.

Sean Zhu,

Since this information is now appearing in multiple locations in this forum (and others), could someome from MS Hardware please either make a post on this or can you provide information on this whose source is Microsoft?

Thank you.

Worked Perfectly for me,
      I have been using tv tuners for years Procuring the wrong one?!?!?!? They are universal... You can use event ghost Lirc
    Etc...  This was a simple fix that worked Roswill remote as well as the other China Copies that are Certified Vista...
    Swan you sound like a down trodding person that just wants to offend people who actually want to help. Why not post something
    useful and Helpful... You sir sound like a joke...

Thursday, November 24, 2011 4:11 PM
  • I was having a problem with my CM Storm keyboard multimedia keys. After I enabled the HID service my multimedia keys worked just as they did before they stopped!

Worked %100 for me, Thanks!!

Thursday, August 09, 2012 11:09 PM
  • A long time since, but just had the exact same problem with my current Win8 installation. Your fix did the trick, thx buddy

Regards, Max Obrist

Monday, July 15, 2013 9:18 PM
  • Thank you very very much JohQ. I believe this could be the solution to almost (or maybe all) media keyboards, mice, remotes, and other media related accessories not working at all or properly. Not just for the devices which have been stated in comments and your post. My guess is the HID service controls multimedia interactions and functions. Just a guess, but that seems to be. It may also fix other issues, but I couldn't tell you as I just don't know.
    Tuesday, February 04, 2014 8:27 AM