none
Can't boot windows 7 install disk is on hard drive missing boot.mbr, ntdll

Question

• I did not know when I installed windows 7 on a new hard drive with windows XP already on another drive that it would not create the boot partition and required components on the new C: drive. trying to get rid of the dual boot and not needing XP any longer I formatted the D: disk. The next reboot and messages like boot.mbr not found or missing ntdll. The big problem is Windows 7 was downloaded and installed as a mounted ISO from that machine that I can't get into. HOW can I create a Windows 7 disk so I can run the recovery panel or fdisk / mbr??? or if you have a solution Please please please help me. Thank You.
    Monday, April 12, 2010 9:42 PM

Answers

• You don't tell us what options you have now and from where you posted this message.

Your problem is easy to solve, provided you have right knowledge and tools.

1. fdisk /mbr will not help. This worked for systems released before Vista

2. You can create Windows 7 disk from an ISO image. I believe (but didn't test it) that you can use even evaluation edition of Windows 7 to fix your boot environment.
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/cc442495.aspx

Once you boot with Windows 7 instalaltion media, you may:

• Start in repair mode
    • Choose Command Prompt from recovery options
    • Run diskpart. The sequence of commands below will mark {Disk0/Partition} 1 as Active.
      select disk 0
      select partition 1
      active
    • Run bootrec with
      /FixMbr
      /FixBoot
      /RebuildBcd

3. You may repair your system even without Windows 7 installation media. However, this approach requires more skill.

• You may download and install
      - Windows AIK for Windows 7
      - MDT 2010 (otional)
      You may install the software above even on a previous version OS, for example Windows XP.
    • Build Windows PE media
    • Boot your system with Windows PE media.
    • run diskpart as described above.
    • run bootsect command. For examlpe:
      bootsect /nt60 C: /mbr
    • run bcdboot command. For example:
      bcdboot c:\windows
    Tuesday, April 13, 2010 8:22 AM
  • THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU...

I followed your instructions and you are GOD!

For us newbies or unknowing geeks the:

DISKPART commands:

Use the select command to set the focus to the specified target. To obtain a list of focus types, leave the Type field blank. If you do not specify an identification (ID) number, the current focus object is displayed.

select disk[=n]

Use the select disk command to set the focus to the disk that has the specified Windows NT disk number. If you do not specify a disk number, the command displays the current in-focus disk.

select partition[=n]

Use the select partition command to set the focus to the specified partition. If you do not specify a partition, the current in-focus partition is displayed.

ie; select disk =0

select partition =1

active

then EXIT

I can't say how much I appreciate you right now. Now what should I do to create a backup/recover disk so i can recover on my own next time, LOL.

Man your a bud may God bless you a million times for helping strangers out.

Wednesday, April 14, 2010 12:18 AM

All replies

• You don't tell us what options you have now and from where you posted this message.

Your problem is easy to solve, provided you have right knowledge and tools.

1. fdisk /mbr will not help. This worked for systems released before Vista

2. You can create Windows 7 disk from an ISO image. I believe (but didn't test it) that you can use even evaluation edition of Windows 7 to fix your boot environment.
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/cc442495.aspx

Once you boot with Windows 7 instalaltion media, you may:

• Start in repair mode
    • Choose Command Prompt from recovery options
    • Run diskpart. The sequence of commands below will mark {Disk0/Partition} 1 as Active.
      select disk 0
      select partition 1
      active
    • Run bootrec with
      /FixMbr
      /FixBoot
      /RebuildBcd

3. You may repair your system even without Windows 7 installation media. However, this approach requires more skill.

• You may download and install
      - Windows AIK for Windows 7
      - MDT 2010 (otional)
      You may install the software above even on a previous version OS, for example Windows XP.
    • Build Windows PE media
    • Boot your system with Windows PE media.
    • run diskpart as described above.
    • run bootsect command. For examlpe:
      bootsect /nt60 C: /mbr
    • run bcdboot command. For example:
      bcdboot c:\windows
    Tuesday, April 13, 2010 8:22 AM
  • Thank you so very much for trying to help me.

I downloaded the Win 7 Installation media eval. tried it straight to a disk and "no operating system"

I tried it creating a roxio boot selection of that file(iso) and "missing operating system" also.

I should add that I have used Acronis Home to defrag my disc, I see that causes probs too. I appreciate the help, thank you. If I could just get a boot up I know I could repair the disk.

Tuesday, April 13, 2010 10:39 PM
  • BTW I do have Bios looking at the CD first for  boot.
    Tuesday, April 13, 2010 10:42 PM
  • I unpacked the ISO to a folder and copied the files to a DVD. That booted up the windows install and I selected repair. It said it found errors and repaired but when I reboot i get "NTLDR is missing". I thought that was for XP? I'm still trying, thank you.
    Tuesday, April 13, 2010 11:47 PM
  • THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU...

I followed your instructions and you are GOD!

For us newbies or unknowing geeks the:

DISKPART commands:

Use the select command to set the focus to the specified target. To obtain a list of focus types, leave the Type field blank. If you do not specify an identification (ID) number, the current focus object is displayed.

select disk[=n]

Use the select disk command to set the focus to the disk that has the specified Windows NT disk number. If you do not specify a disk number, the command displays the current in-focus disk.

select partition[=n]

Use the select partition command to set the focus to the specified partition. If you do not specify a partition, the current in-focus partition is displayed.

ie; select disk =0

select partition =1

active

then EXIT

I can't say how much I appreciate you right now. Now what should I do to create a backup/recover disk so i can recover on my own next time, LOL.

Man your a bud may God bless you a million times for helping strangers out.

Wednesday, April 14, 2010 12:18 AM
  • I created a "SYSTEM REPAIR DISK" and did a System backup to another drive. again thank you
    Wednesday, April 14, 2010 1:35 AM
  • This didnt work for me. i got the files, copied them to a dvd, the put it inmay laptop and selected to Internal cd/dvd ROM Drive from the bios and it just went to 

GRUB loading.

error: no such disk

grub rescue>

Any ideas? it doesnt want to read the disk. ive tried this on 2 different brand dvd and it didnt work.

Friday, April 30, 2010 7:58 PM
  • OMG!!! tHANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR hELP The second Option Is the easiest one I ever TRY =] tHANK YOU AGAIN.
    Wednesday, July 07, 2010 9:24 PM
  •  hi

i formatted the system partition.

i have a problem in diskpart and it does not find the disk! and it just have the x partition for Boot.

can anyone help please!

Sunday, May 22, 2011 8:25 PM