none
Windows 8 Pro: 32 GB needed for Recovery Drive

Question

• When I try to create Recovery Media through VAIO on a Sony laptop it says that it needs at least 21 GB of space. If I try to do this through Windows 8 itself, it tells me that "The drive must be able to hold at least 32 GB". What could be the reason for this difference?

Is it best to get a 64 GB USB drive for this?  Would a USB external drive work just as well? My impression is that when I tried earlier, I was not able to make my external USB drive bootable.

Thanks!

JS

Monday, May 20, 2013 9:39 PM

Answers

• If you already have image backups via Macrium then using Windows image backup would just be redundant, basically the same thing.

If you do use Windows 8 image backup ( called Windows 7 File Recovery for reasons known only to ms) once the backup is complete you are then prompted as to whether or not you want to create a repair disc at that time. That's where the blank dvd media is used. If your pc crashes and needs to have the saved image restored you boot from the created repair dvd to initiate the process.

• Marked as answer by JSS2020 Tuesday, May 21, 2013 3:05 AM
    Tuesday, May 21, 2013 2:32 AM

All replies

• The Sony recovery media is intended to restore your computer to the original state in which it left the factory. No apps, programs or data that you have added since you received it will be restored that way. Windows image backup makes an image of your computer as it exists at the moment you create the backup including all installed apps, programs and data. That probably accounts for the different storage requirements.

A usb drive is fine for a Windows image backup and it does not need to be bootable. You will need to make a bootable Windows recovery disc though to initiate the restore process. This is usually done with dvd media.

Again, your Sony recovery is an entirely different process. Follow the Sony instructions for this. 

• Edited by KentIrwin Monday, May 20, 2013 11:49 PM
    Monday, May 20, 2013 11:49 PM
  • Thank you for your response. It has clarified a number of issues.

You mentioned:

"A usb drive is fine for a Windows image backup and it does not need to be bootable."

Can any USB flash drive be made bootable or is this something I need to check before buying the USB flash drive?

"You will need to make a bootable Windows recovery disc though to initiate the restore process. This is usually done with dvd media."

Will Windows 8 let me create both the DVD disc and the USB drive when I start the Recovery Disc creation process or does the DVD disc have to be created separately?

BTW, I already have image backups on an external USB drive made with Macrium Reflect.

Thanks!

JS

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 12:54 AM
  • If you already have image backups via Macrium then using Windows image backup would just be redundant, basically the same thing.

If you do use Windows 8 image backup ( called Windows 7 File Recovery for reasons known only to ms) once the backup is complete you are then prompted as to whether or not you want to create a repair disc at that time. That's where the blank dvd media is used. If your pc crashes and needs to have the saved image restored you boot from the created repair dvd to initiate the process.

• Marked as answer by JSS2020 Tuesday, May 21, 2013 3:05 AM
    Tuesday, May 21, 2013 2:32 AM
  • Thank you so much. I truly appreciate your response.
    Tuesday, May 21, 2013 3:06 AM