none
0xc0000142 error

Question

• my autodesk design design review shows 0xc0000142 error what can i do? I am using windows 7, 32Bit OS.
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 9:57 PM

Answers

• Hi,

This error is usually a failure to initialize a DLL correctly. This could be because the file is corrupted, missing, or possible has been added to with malicious code.

I would like to confirm if it is happening to other applications too.

Do a sfc /scannow from a dos prompt on the install disk. This will scan all the system files and replace them with known good versions for the OS. Once the process is complete reboot your machine. It is important to note that these are form the OS so your applications may have issues and need to be re-installed if they happen to use one of the files that are replaced.

Runing the sfc command is to make sure you do not have any issues with the system files. If that did not resolve the issue, run registry clean up using third party tool worth a try. From there a registry cleaner will be extremely useful to not only cleanup your registry but to verify the locations and pointers of all the DLL's to ensure you do not have other issues as well.

The is a general error code. It takes sometime to troubleshoot. The worst thing is the reinstall the whole OS.
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 6:15 AM
  • Hi,

Autodesk has a solution to fix the “Error: The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000142)” for Autodesk® 3ds Max® 2009 and Autodesk® 3ds Max® Design 2009 below:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/item?siteID=123112&id=12398862&linkID=9241177

But the problematic application you have is Autodesk Design Review. I don’t know if this solution also can fix the issue for you, so I would like to suggest you contact Autodesk Support to check if they can fix the issue for their own product, if the above steps cannot fix the issue.

Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

In addition, here is a possible solution on the following link I find from Autodesk Design Review Forum. Please check if it can fix the issue for you.

http://discussion.autodesk.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=753514&tstart=0

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Monday, February 15, 2010 6:44 AM

All replies

• Hi,

This error is usually a failure to initialize a DLL correctly. This could be because the file is corrupted, missing, or possible has been added to with malicious code.

I would like to confirm if it is happening to other applications too.

Do a sfc /scannow from a dos prompt on the install disk. This will scan all the system files and replace them with known good versions for the OS. Once the process is complete reboot your machine. It is important to note that these are form the OS so your applications may have issues and need to be re-installed if they happen to use one of the files that are replaced.

Runing the sfc command is to make sure you do not have any issues with the system files. If that did not resolve the issue, run registry clean up using third party tool worth a try. From there a registry cleaner will be extremely useful to not only cleanup your registry but to verify the locations and pointers of all the DLL's to ensure you do not have other issues as well.

The is a general error code. It takes sometime to troubleshoot. The worst thing is the reinstall the whole OS.
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 6:15 AM
  • Hi,

Autodesk has a solution to fix the “Error: The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000142)” for Autodesk® 3ds Max® 2009 and Autodesk® 3ds Max® Design 2009 below:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/item?siteID=123112&id=12398862&linkID=9241177

But the problematic application you have is Autodesk Design Review. I don’t know if this solution also can fix the issue for you, so I would like to suggest you contact Autodesk Support to check if they can fix the issue for their own product, if the above steps cannot fix the issue.

Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

In addition, here is a possible solution on the following link I find from Autodesk Design Review Forum. Please check if it can fix the issue for you.

http://discussion.autodesk.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=753514&tstart=0

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Monday, February 15, 2010 6:44 AM
  • ok, i just got it working, quite simple really, find 3dsmax.exe (not the shortcut), right click it and change the compatibility mode to "windows xp sp2".

worked for me.

Hope this helps,

Kev

Saturday, March 27, 2010 12:56 PM
  • Thank you for your feedback. Your solution is to run the application in compatible mode. For more information, http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Make-older-programs-run-in-this-version-of-Windows
    Tuesday, March 30, 2010 9:41 AM