none
How are Windows 8 RT users able to retrieve pop3 email?

All replies

• So since the mail app does not include support for pop3, what are Window 8 RT users supposed to do?

There is nothing you can do unless Microsoft updates the Metro app or you can find another POP3-capable mail app in the store. Windows RT users are totally hosed since they can't use any desktop mail app either.
    Friday, November 02, 2012 5:38 PM
  • That's kind of what I was thinking.  At this point, I'm regretting buying the Surface since that is one of my main things I will be using it for.  I'm sure hoping they update it.  I don't see why it would even allow you to select it if they didn't plan on adding it.
    Friday, November 02, 2012 6:21 PM
  • So, what kind of interest would there be for a POP3 Mail App on the store?

Monday, November 05, 2012 4:41 PM
  • There is right now no solution to the problem:

- the native mail client does not support it

- I have not found a mail app that does support it

- there is no announcement that either one is coming shortly.

I do not understand this business decision by Microsoft. Large Internet Providers such as Cox cable do only support POP3 email outside of Webmail.Especially since this device is designed for private people (and the licensing terms basically don't allow you to use it professionally) that do not run mail servers themselves and often use what they get with their cable provider and do not want to change their email accounts.

I love the surface RT device, I really do. I think that it is on a lot of accounts superior to the Apple iPad and any Android device. I am also patient enough to wait for a lot of apps that are still missing, but this is right now by far for me the biggest disadvantage.

Patrck Pilz

Monday, November 19, 2012 6:28 PM
  • This worked for me.

http://myitforum.com/myitforumwp/2012/10/29/retrieving-pop3-emails-on-the-windows-surface/

Wednesday, December 05, 2012 12:06 AM
  • How to Geek has work around instructions here:

http://www.howtogeek.com/130516/how-to-access-pop3-email-accounts-in-windows-8/

Jerry

Wednesday, December 05, 2012 10:16 PM
  • 1-Return windows RT device

2-Buy windows7/8 device

3-???

4-Profit!

Thursday, December 06, 2012 1:27 AM
  • Wait for Surface W8 Pro !!!!!!!

"Computing is great experience, as long as we remember, that it is a machine the requires human input to operate correctly< Bobsan

Thursday, December 06, 2012 4:28 AM