How do I get rid of Vista?!

Question

• I just received two new Dell computers with Windows Vista for my company. I thought "If Vista isn't any good, I'll just reformat and load XP". 
    Well both computers will not work if I try to boot off the XP CD and when I open it in Windows it won't let me click "Install Windows XP" It's shaded out.
    Any advice? Both computers are straight out of the box without any other software/hardware installed.

Thanks,
    jesse
    Thursday, February 22, 2007 11:46 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Make sure that your CD/DVD Drive is Bootable from BIOS Settings and that your Windows XP CD boots normally (try it on another computer).

Good luck

Monday, July 16, 2007 6:45 PM

All replies

• I thought I'd add that my XP CD works just fine on all of my other computers which have never had Vista.
    Thursday, February 22, 2007 11:47 PM
  • So I just found out Microsoft made it impossible to roll back to XP in an attempt to force people to use Vista. So can I put my hard drive in another computer and reformat from there then reinstall windows. Or did Microsoft come up with something so devious it can prevent that as well?

Also, I use a new LCD monitor which plugs into the DVI port of my video card. As of yet there are no video cards that meet Microsofts "Content protection standards" So vista is purposely programmed to make the picture quality "fuzzy" The picture quality is worse then my analog monitors.

.....I'm sure it won't take long for some moderator to delete this.
    Friday, February 23, 2007 1:18 AM
  • You could never install an older copy of Windows over a newer one. Not in Vista nor any other. Try putting a Windows 98 CD in Windows XP, or a 95 CD in 98. You will see the same thing.

The only way to install Windows XP on those computers is by booting off the CD and formatting the computer. That will wipe everything out and allow you start all over with Windows XP. You will lose all OEM software and any other preloaded things on the computer, so make sure you make backups just in case you ever want them back. Then once XP is installed you will need to reinstall all the other windows updates, software, drivers, etc. At that point you will be done. In my experience as a computer tech it takes about 2-3 hours to reinstall Windows XP and get it back to the state that will be productive for business depending on how much stuff there is to reinstall.

Also, be sure that the XP CD you are using comes with a valid key - just because you have a copy of licensed Vista on an OEM PC doesn't give you the right to install a previous version of Windows. Since you say you are doing this for a copy chances are they may have a volume license key that would legally allow what you are trying to do.

The "fuzzy" picture idea is simply not true the way you state it. Computers display just fine on any monitor that worked fine on XP or 98 or any other OS. Content protection only applies to - as far as I know - BluRay DVDs and HD-DVDs - in which case you need a DVI monitor with HDCP protection otherwise you will be limited to 480p video rather than 720p or 1080i if you can watch the videos at all.

As far as I know, there are no other video restrictions on Vista, so if you are getting a fuzzy picture on your desktop you should upgrade your video card drivers or change resolutions.

Friday, February 23, 2007 3:10 PM
  • Thx for comment.

To restore back to XP from Vista, you MUST boot the computer by using WinXP CD and format the drive in order to install it. Also, Vista desktop should compatible with any monitor in the market, no matter using VGA/DVI/HDMI connection. Please check your monitor cable for that.

Saturday, February 24, 2007 7:34 AM
  • were you able to install XP on your machine.

I have a toshiba 205 with vista preinstalled, i want to put xp on one partition and linux on the other partition.

I am worried about getting the drivers, any idea from where to get xp drivers.

Thursday, July 12, 2007 10:42 AM
  • Hi,

Make sure that your CD/DVD Drive is Bootable from BIOS Settings and that your Windows XP CD boots normally (try it on another computer).

Good luck

Monday, July 16, 2007 6:45 PM
  • he may have driver issues with the drives... when you go to install XP on vista oem computers you sometimes get hard not detected or another generic message. so he may have to find XP drivers for his drives...... i have no idea on his but i have had it happen with two customers
    Tuesday, July 17, 2007 3:11 PM
  • That's true. YOu need to find the drivers for XP manually.
    Sunday, July 22, 2007 1:55 PM
  • Driver issue is forcing me to continue to use Vista.
    Do you know  from where can I get the drivers.

Thanks

Monday, July 23, 2007 4:44 AM
  • i can't say were you could get them... i did a search and well their are 5 different 205s (ex: U205, M205, etc...). so no chance in finding out what exactly you have iether... try asking a local tech its not to har, most likly the drivers will be on floppy diskette as well

Tuesday, July 24, 2007 4:25 PM
  • I hate windows vista. I am trying to load windows xp back and it is not reading my disk when I boot from the CD. It is saying cannot read CD or it is a invalid CD. And it cannot be invalid because I just bought the freaken THING. So right now i don't recommend Vista to know one.

Monday, August 27, 2007 5:46 AM
  • Have you read the rest of this thread? You CANNOT install an older version Windows OS over a new one.  You must format the Vista partion/drive first.

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 9:15 PM
  • This message is for directly Greg Gibas. I see your a compute tech. Can you help me please. I'm having problems with my Computer I bought back in April. I bought from Best Buy a computer from HP(Hewlett Packard Compaq Presario with Vista Home Edition 32.) It was working fine. The Hard drive was giving me trouble until it burned out. Hp sent me a new one. Installed with the with recovery Cd. The problem that I'm having is this. Before the hard drive burned out and was replace the same thing that I'm experiencing was happening. My computer would freeze and then would just restart on it's own. Or it would freeze and then I would have to manually shut it down by holding down the power button. Also, when it restarted I would get the screen start windows normally and safe modes choices. Sometimes the computer turned on it would stay at the compaq screen and then just do nothing. I had to press ctrl & alt& and delete to reboot until the screen moved. Now usually after the compaq screen came up you would seen another black screen and dash on top and then the dash would move a few inches down. Sometime on the first dash a message saying. "Please select boot media or insert boot media and press any key". I would then have to press ctrl & alt and delete to reboot. Now recently I unistalled my intel chipset family and let the OS detect the one. Then windows update had 2 critical updates with the same chipset intel that I had before I unistalled it. I was being assisted by another person on this forum "PC Tester" he was very helpful. Right now I'm ready to slam my head down on my keyboard like Schroder from Charlie Brown does. LOL. Right now I cannot even keep my computer on for 5 minutes it freezes and does the same thing. I'm on my co-worker's/friends computer at her house posting this. I'm very lost and upset. I know somebody else that told me vista is horrible. I like the new look and features but it sucks. Can you please help me. I'm greatly appreciated if you can thanks Chris07

Thursday, August 30, 2007 12:51 AM
  • hi  just ran into the same problem with a compaq presario. I loaded the matrix storage manager and it loaded right up . good luck finding drivers i'm still searching for audio and lan drivers for this pos only vista drivers available hope it helped.

Wednesday, September 12, 2007 5:07 AM
  • I just got a new Toshiba Laptop and I am having nothing but problems with VISTA.  It sounds like I am not alone. 
    Today alone it took 4 tries to start the computer and all it said was we are not sure what is wrong, but unplug anything.  The only thing I had pluged in was  MICROSOFT ZUNE. 

I want out of Vista so bad, I wish that this thing was not rammed down my throat!!!!!  I really did not have any choice when I wrnt to the store to buy my computer, except visat. 

Do I have to buy a copy of XP to be able to get it off my system?  I am not a huge tech savy person, so specfic help is needed.  Maybe I should have bought a Mac?.
    Wednesday, January 09, 2008 2:31 AM
  • wat do i type in command prompt to run cd

Wednesday, July 09, 2008 2:36 AM
  • i am trying to get rid of vista on a sony vaio  i dont care for it very much  i used disk killer  to wipe the disc  but now i can seem to get the xp disc to see the hard drive

Sunday, August 03, 2008 7:14 PM
  •  steve103 wrote:
    i am trying to get rid of vista on a sony vaio  i dont care for it very much  i used disk killer  to wipe the disc  but now i can seem to get the xp disc to see the hard drive
    That's because XP lacks native support for most SATA controllers.  If the computer in question (or, at least, it's motherboard chipset) was built after your XP disc was mastered (very likely, given that even SP2 was released over 3 years ago), the installation disc lacks storage drivers for you.
    Hit up the Sony support & downloads site, and see what they have for XP drivers for your PC.  I hate to be an I-told-you-so, but, you really should have done this first.
    Look for SATA drivers - preferably a floppy-creation utility.  Write the floppy.  Install floppy drive (if you don't have one already), and hit <F6> when prompted at the beginning of the installation.  Load drivers from floppy.

If you have no floppy drive (or, if this is a laptop), then you'll need to build your own XP install disc, with storage drivers integrated into it.  nLite works quite well for this purpose.

If Sony does not have all of the necessary drivers for you, then, your odds of success are rather small.  Sorry.

Monday, August 04, 2008 4:26 AM
  •  

By Crikey! Vista is a pig's ear of an OS - an almost unusable magic lantern! I'll be praying, then paying for a swift replacement that'll deliver logical step-by-step productivity. Will we ever see a nice point and click OS again?

Slainte!

Friday, September 19, 2008 8:20 PM
  • I also hate Windows Vista. My old computer died, I had to buy a new one, and every computer was only equipped with Windows Vista.
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 11:17 AM