none
Hewlett Packard (HP) Color LaserJet CM1312nfi Software Not Installing

Question

• Hi;

I just bought a brand new HP color multifunction (CM1312nfi) and installing is a nightmare. It wont install. When I run the software, I get 2 errors - 1 that the OS is not recognized (expected - but it says it can keep installing anyway - which is good) and the other which stops it dead - it says:

This software cannot be installed using the 'run as .. command'. the installation cannot continue until this is resolved. Required action: click cancel to exist this software install. Log off and on as a user with admin priv. Restart the install ... etc.

I have tried 'run as administrator' (via the right clicking on the setup app). I am logged in as the admin (confirmed in my user profile). I called HP and the woman in India hung up on me after I asked for escallated support, as her response was 'this is an OS issue, not HPs issue'.

HELP! Microsoft, one month away from launch ... someone needs to wake HP up and resolve the driver issue.

Thanks

Thursday, September 24, 2009 3:03 PM

Answers

• I found this on the HP site, should have thought! Nice of the support person to hang up on me and not even make the suggestion!

It worked. I should have thought of that.

I just got my CM1312 MFP working in Windows 7.  Here's how: 

1. Insert the setup disk in your CD/DVD drive.  Choose to view the files in Explorer.  Scroll down to the file "Setup," which is identified as an application.
    2. Right-click the file and select "Properties." Click the "Compatibility" tab at the top of the resulting window.
    3. Check off "Run this program in compatability mode for:" and choose "Windows Vista" from the pop-up menu.
    4. ALSO check "Run this program as administrator" at the bottom of the window.
    5. Press "Apply," then "OK."
    Now you can double-click the "Setup" file and run the software installer.
    • Proposed as answer by Shadow Walker Thursday, September 24, 2009 11:26 PM
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Friday, September 25, 2009 12:59 AM
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 3:16 PM

All replies

• I found this on the HP site, should have thought! Nice of the support person to hang up on me and not even make the suggestion!

It worked. I should have thought of that.

I just got my CM1312 MFP working in Windows 7.  Here's how: 

1. Insert the setup disk in your CD/DVD drive.  Choose to view the files in Explorer.  Scroll down to the file "Setup," which is identified as an application.
    2. Right-click the file and select "Properties." Click the "Compatibility" tab at the top of the resulting window.
    3. Check off "Run this program in compatability mode for:" and choose "Windows Vista" from the pop-up menu.
    4. ALSO check "Run this program as administrator" at the bottom of the window.
    5. Press "Apply," then "OK."
    Now you can double-click the "Setup" file and run the software installer.
    • Proposed as answer by Shadow Walker Thursday, September 24, 2009 11:26 PM
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Friday, September 25, 2009 12:59 AM
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 3:16 PM
  • Thats the best second try fix for any such problem after checking the manufacturers website for updates in my opinion.
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 11:28 PM
  • HP CM1312 64bit WIndows 7 Retail install.

1) Download: CM1312series_full_solution_v5.0_AM-EMEA.exe (306 MB)

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=18972&prodSeriesId=3558902&prodNameId=3562006&swEnvOID=2100&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=ma-61238-3

2) Use the full download from the website and it self extracts to your root directory.To run the self extracting file, first set the compatibility mode to Vista sp2 and run as admin.

3) The files remain and you can find them here:

C:\HP_CM1312_series_full_solution_v5.0_AM-EMEA\

4) Set the compatibility mode to Vista sp2 and run as admin on the Setup.exe.

5) Run the full install. Works for both usb or network.

6) Enjoy! =^_^=

p.s. I worked for hours trying to get similar suggestions to work with no prevail, especially on a network printer. Eventually I was able to find a method of getting the 1312 to install not only as a usb printer but as a network printer aswell. :)

Sunday, October 25, 2009 8:14 AM
  • Not sure this is on target but I worked through the options above to end up short a few drivers that auto update couldn't find either. Just in case, I went back to the hp site and found a newer software fix (I think) and am trying it now:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=3562006&prodTypeId=18972&prodSeriesId=3558902&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=4063

Oh ya....looking good: no mucking about with settings, firmware update in progress too. Hopefully this fixes the many glitches this model has forced me to endure since purchase.
    Hmmmm looked good until it went to "Install Additional Software" at the end and then hung up at 94% complete. I killed the process and the printer seems to work fine.
    • Edited by pens4hire Monday, December 21, 2009 6:30 AM additional feedback
    Monday, December 21, 2009 5:34 AM
  • Thanks for the advice it worked for me too when installing my M1522 MFP.  Brilliant! 

• Proposed as answer by ITWings Friday, April 30, 2010 12:22 PM
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 3:13 PM
  • If you have any troubles with CM1312nfi- after unpacking to root directory open autorun.inf file there. Seek line: [SystemRequirements] and change next line: from AdminRightRequired=1 to AdminRightRequired=0 Spend hours to discover, but it worked.
    Friday, April 30, 2010 12:25 PM
  • Thank you thank you thank you...

This was the first step by step answer I could find.  You made it SOOOO easy to install... after attempting all the other suggestions and answers I came across for the past 3 hours!!!!

Can't you be my personal IT guy... lol...
    I couldn't even find help on HP!!

Thanks a mil

Wednesday, June 09, 2010 9:27 PM
  • Hi there. Thnak you. Your fix worked right up until I had to connect the printer to the USB cable and everything just stopped. Any ideas?
    Monday, November 29, 2010 4:48 AM
  • Worked like a Charm!
    • Proposed as answer by Jeyner Arango Monday, October 24, 2011 4:10 AM
    Monday, October 24, 2011 4:10 AM
  • Best answer ever, thanks, i Knows it's been 2 years but still, hp suck great time!
    Monday, February 20, 2012 5:38 PM
  • Thank you so much! I just got put on assignment by my mom on my first night back home in a year to fix this for her after she struggled for several months. She even tried to call HP like many others and they of course wanted to charge $60 to help fix their software.

This is awesome, better than the HP forum posts that come up when you google this problem. I'm going to go share it on the site right now. Thanks again!!!

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 4:02 AM