none
We couldn't create the ISO - Windows 8 setup FAIL

Question

• Downloaded Windows 8 Pro today and proceeded with installation... Seemed simple enough. I couldn't even get past the first step. I'm wanting to create a DVD installation and it won't create the ISO file to burn a DVD. Error message as follows:

We couldn't create the ISO

Sorry, something happened and we couldn't finish creating the ISO. Restart setup and try again.

File name:c:\Windows.iso

Of course, I restarted setup, the PC, cleared temp folders, threw a brick... nothing! Same error keeps coming up. Nice!

any thoughts?

• Edited by randydixon Sunday, October 28, 2012 1:18 AM
    Sunday, October 28, 2012 1:17 AM

Answers

All replies

• Same issue. Trying to do the "Install Now" option also gives me an error in the form of "Setup is unable to determine UI language". 
    Sunday, October 28, 2012 2:59 AM
  • Have you made any headway on this issue? I have the same problem.
    Tuesday, October 30, 2012 12:01 AM
  • Hi,

Based my research, we may not be able to achieve this right now.

Kim Zhou

TechNet Community Support

Friday, November 02, 2012 9:42 AM
  • Wait - how is this an answer?  This doesn't tell us anything.

I too am having the same issue, downloading it through my university's OnTheHub site - and they claim that you guys are the ones to talk to for this problem.  Can we please get a more detailed answer?

Thank you.

Thursday, November 29, 2012 12:43 AM
  • I found the answer here: http:// wwwdoteightforumsdotcom/tutorials/13200-windows-8-upgrade-iso-redownload.html, but here's the brief summary:

-I'm guessing that at some point, you probably downloaded the Windows 8 preview, yes?  For whatever reason, when you go to do it "for real," the Windows 8 setup doesn't overwrite the old file, called the "WebSetup" folder.  If that folder is still there, you'll get the "Sorry, something happened and we couldn't finish creating the ISO.  Restart setup and try again" message.

The location of the folder is at: C:\%UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WebSetup

where %UserProfile% is the user account you downloaded it under (probably your default account) - this is the folder you need to delete.

Once that folder is deleted, run the Windows 8 setup file (found here: http:// windowsdotmicrosoftdotcom/en-US/windows-8/upgrade-product-key-only if you haven't, like me, already downloaded it 8 different times thinking it was a corrupted file), and it should prompt you at that point for your product key - which is something it wasn't doing for me.

It'd be helpful if Microsoft knew about this... hope it helps...

(h/t to EightForums, where I originally found and condensed this guide.)

• Proposed as answer by rekrdskratcher Thursday, November 29, 2012 1:26 AM
    Thursday, November 29, 2012 1:26 AM
  • I keep re-reading the TechNet answer "we may not be able to achieve this right now" and laughing.  Thanks for posting a solution rekrdskratcher...I would probably have just given up on installing Windows without your post!
    • Edited by enalmada Thursday, July 18, 2013 6:36 AM needed some more umph
    Thursday, July 18, 2013 6:35 AM