none
PROMISE ULTRA 133 TX2 (PCI to ATA) driver installation does not work

General discussion

• I tried to install the WIN32 (XP) driver that works with XP PRO 32 - it doesn't work with W7 64 Bit. I also tried the Vista driver - same problem. The driver folder contains the inf file, the cab file and the sys file. However, the "force-install" (right click - install) doesn't work - error message: 'The inf file you selected does not support this method of installation'

What exacly does that mean? Does this mean that W7 uses a different concept of driver installation than the current versions of windows OS - or does it mean that there are syntax errors in the inf file, or does it mean information is missing? (or a combination of those) Is there an indepth (comprehensive) spec for the inf file format used with W7?

drivers from
    http://www.promise.com/support/download/download2_eng.asp?productID=87&category=all&os=100

The latest available BIOS (2.10.0.15) is installed on the card.

Thanks for any help on this!
    Torsten
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 9:10 AM

All replies

• Hello Torsten,

It seems more likely the system is rejecting the driver due to it being 32 bit and I dont see any 64 bit support on the link you provided.

The driver architecture is quite different in Windows 7 compared to Windows XP which is why there is such widespread hardware issues,  but Windows 7 has great abilities to run legacy drivers and hardware with compatibility mode and Virtual XP.  Trying one of these methods could resolve this issue but I would lean more towards 32 versus 64 bit drivers.
    -Scott
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 5:46 PM
  • Hello Torsten,

First you might keep windows update regularly to obtain the latest driver for your device. Note: Drivers on the Windows Update site are directly provided by hardware manufacturers. Microsoft tests drivers in various environments before they are published; however, we cannot guarantee all drivers will work on all hardware platforms as there are too many different models, although their hardware ID are the same as the standard version. In some cases, due to hardware modifications by different manufacturers, the driver updates may cause some error.

Meanwhile, please understand that Windows 7 is a new operating system and whole driverstore has been reprogrammed; you might wait for another period of time till the retail version is released and push the vendor company to upgrade their device driver. Thanks for your time and understanding!

For more details, please look at the first Sticky thread at the top of this forum.

What can I do if my hardware does not work?

This will give you some guidelines.

Good Luck!
    Andy

Thursday, June 25, 2009 9:31 AM
  • Hello Scott,

Thanks for taking the time to look into this. Yes - unfortunately there is no 64 bit XP driver for this card only a Vista version (@%&^%(&@@!!!) - whch doesn't mean the XP version would have worked guranteed. I've tried to find more info about the virtual XP that you are mentioning, that possibly could run the old 32 bit hardware. Seems it's not quite ready yet? I'm runnig W7 built 7100 RC. I have not been able to find anything useful on the web yet - I'll probably dig a bit more.

Thanks,
    Torsten
    Friday, June 26, 2009 7:15 AM
  • Hello Andy,

I am aware that W7 is quite new, and therefore does not support everything that's out there yet. However, I hoped to find some in depth description, including key elements concerning the driver installation process, and driver handling.  At this point other than trying the find more about the virtual XP machine that Scott was mentioning in the above, I will try to get in contact with the manufacturer (tried e-mail support - but that can take quite some time before an answer comes back), and see if there is a driver even planned for this card. If not I'd attempt to do this work myself, but I'd need the necessary info for that.

Thanks for taking your time to read through this and my initial question.

Torsten
    Friday, June 26, 2009 7:30 AM
  • Torsten,

Have you tried installing the driver in compatibility mode for Windows XP or Windows Vista? To do this, right click on the program .exe and open the Properties menu, then navigate to the compatibility tab and select "Run this program in compatibility mode for..."
    -Alex
    Friday, June 26, 2009 3:48 PM
  • Hi Alex,

The problem is that the driver files  don't include an executable installation program - just the inf, cat and sys files. The options are either use the OS' auto or manual install-new-hardware and then set the path to the driver needed, or right click INF-file  -> install. So I have no chance of trying the compatibility mode in this case.

Thanks for trying to dig through this.

Thanks,
    Torsten
    Sunday, June 28, 2009 5:54 PM
  • I also have the same problem in windows 7.

Due to this my dvd-rom player crashes constantly when I put for instance an empty writable dvd disk. And sometimes is writes but very slow and it costs 50 minutes..... When I put a windows disk in the dvd player it plays with no problems. Very strange. In the configuration is says that the vista drivers works perfectly.

Are there specific windows 7 drivers available that solves this issue?
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 7:48 PM
  • I have the same problem with my Ultra 133 TX2

(Source for driver: http://www.promise.com/support/download/download2_eng.asp?productId=87&category=driver&os=0&go=GO )
    With the lastest driver for vista 2007.

It detects the PCI card as Windows Vista X64 promise Ultra133 TX2 (tm) IDE Controller

But I get an (Code 10) error. "Unit cannot start (well my translation, since I running it as danish)"

Windows 7 Pro. build 7600.

I know we have a few of these promise cards at work, so one reason why I playing around with this.
    Monday, August 17, 2009 3:12 AM
  • I got a respons from Promise, which wasn't very promising: we do not have any Windows 7 drivers as it is still in beta stage. furthermore there are no plans for windows 7 and the ultra 133 card.

I anyone find a work around, it would much appriciated :)
    Monday, August 17, 2009 2:31 PM
  • I had a similiar problem when I loaded Vista 64 bit but found a driver that worked.  I'm hoping it will work with windows 7 but i haven't tried to install it yet.  If you wish to try it it's located at http://www.forkup.info/blackberry/temp/ The file name is windows vista x64 promise ultra133 tx2 (tm) ide controller.rar. Good luck and please post your results here.

Edit:  I found another post saying this driver worked  http://www.promise.com/upload/Suppor...o%20driver.rar Again please post your results here.
    Tuesday, October 06, 2009 6:03 PM
  • No, I tried this and it does not work - or rather the driver installs but the card will not initialize - "This device cannot start. (Code 10)"
    Monday, November 02, 2009 7:16 PM
  • I get the same problem "This device cannot start. (Code 10)" on Windows 7 64 bit when using the "windows vista x64 promise ultra133 tx2 (tm) ide controller.rar" driver
    Monday, November 02, 2009 10:32 PM
  • Here's a conversation I had recently with a Seagate tech rep:

Please wait while we find an agent to assist you... 
    Hello. How may I help you? 
    Leslie C: Hi Stephen! How may I help you? 
    Stephen Ashton: I was just informed that you don't have win 7 drivers for this card that I bought from you: Ultra ATA 100/133 PCI Adapter Card Driver 
    Leslie C: Let me see what I can do for you. 
    Leslie C: Please stand by 
    Stephen Ashton: Thank you 
    Leslie C: The card is made by promise. I would recommend visiting their site for an update. The card question maybe the same as the Promise Ultra 133 TX2 Storage Controller. 
    Leslie C: Here is a link to the promise site. 
    The agent is sending you to http://www.promise.com/support/download/. 
    Stephen Ashton: Why is the card listed on your site? Didn't you guys buy out Maxtor? It has Maxtor stamped on the back of it 
    Leslie C: yes we did buyout Maxtor however at this time we do not have a win 7 driver. 
    Stephen Ashton: when will you have one. I need the GBs of data on this Maxtor drive 
    Leslie C: There are no plans to provide a win 7 drive for this card. 
    Leslie C: Do you have any other questions or concerns I maybe able to address for you today? 
    Stephen Ashton: yes, do you make an ata controller card that does work with win 7, 64 bit 
    Leslie C: Please Stand by while I check 
    Leslie C: Unfortunately at this time we do not. 
    Stephen Ashton: So what are all your customers (chumps) supposed to do with the millions of ata drives they bought from you? 
    Leslie C: In most cases customer have moved from ATA to SATA drives. 
    Stephen Ashton: So Seagate says everyone should throw out all their products and buy all new ones from them? 
    Stephen Ashton: Is this really their recommendation or are you joking?!? 
    Leslie C: Seagate is not telling all of its customers to do this. However most customers have moved to SATA which is newer technology. I did not recommend you do this I simply responded to your inquiry. 
    Stephen Ashton: I don't suppose you would like to know what you can do with your products? 

It looks like no one is going to support their products. Rather than help the millions of customers who bought their products, they just look at it as a great opportunity to cash in on them all over again. Really disgraceful.

Wednesday, March 24, 2010 4:02 PM
  • Hi-

I just reinstalled Win 7 64 bit (from Win 7 32) and ran into this same problem.

I decided to try the vista driver located here:

http://firstweb.promise.com/upload/Support/Driver/Ultra133%20TX2%20windows%202.1.0.3%20logo%20driver.rar

It worked great- so give it a try.

Sunday, July 31, 2011 6:41 PM
  • I suggest that there are new ATA cards for low cost on eBay if you have lots of old disks you want to continue to use.

I found one with ATA and SATA for < $2 that I use for recovery of files from dead machines. Works fine with XP and up, drivers on Windows update.

Just a thought if the old card is orphaned.

If you have an old rig then using a LAN to copy RAID array is helpful. New disks are huge and can gobble up an older array.

Windows MVP, XP, Vista, 7. Expanding into Windows Server 2008 R2, SQL Server, SharePoint etc

I feel badly for my American friends who have to endure the extremists in Washington who are bankrupting the nation over ideology.

My page on Video Card Problems is now my most popular landing page. See my gaming site for game reviews etc.

Developer | Windows IT | Chess | Economics | Hardcore Games | Vegan Advocate | PC R

Sunday, July 31, 2011 9:12 PM