none
Explorer.exe error, "Class not registered"

Question

• I tried what I have seen until now to solve my problem, but so far I had no success. Yesterday Explorer.exe started with the following message: "class not registered". I first tried restoring the Explorerframe.dll through Run and typing regsvr32 ExplorerFrame.dll with the new dll file I downloaded from the web which worked perfectly, but the error message "class not registered" persists.

In addition I tried sfc.exe \scannow, but when I try to run cmd.exe as an administrator it closes as soon as it opens so I tried throught Run and typed command. Cmd.exe opened and when I tried to scan it returned me with the following message "program too big to fit in memory".

I also considered restoring the system, but there was no restore point available. When turning on the computer I attempted to press F8 and select ", the last working configuration" my windows is in portuguese so I don't know what is the text for english versions of windows. Anyway that did not work too.

Luckely I found a microsoft hot fix (KB935855) that solved the problem for other people, but when I tried to install it returned error code 0x80080005. Looking forward to solving this new problem I downloaded another hot fix that seems to be the same with addition of a V4 in the name, but that did not work as well.

This error stopped all the programs related to windows, including image, internet explorer and also audio drivers stopped working. It could be a virus, but it's not because of a recent windows reinstalling, also I make use of GDATA and spyware terminator. I cannot believe reinstalling windows is necessary for solving it since an essential program such as explorer.exe might have a hundred of know errors with solutions available.

Is there any solution for this kind of situation?

Best Regards, John.

Renato
    Thursday, January 20, 2011 3:09 PM

Answers

• Hi,

From the information of the hotfix, do you mean iexplore.exe? iexplore.exe and explorer.exe are different.

Also explorer.exe issues are mostly caused due to conflict with third party software instead of known fixes. We can troubleshoot to find out which software caused the issue.

When did this issue begin to occur?

As you reinstalled Windows Vista recently, please obtain the latest update first. Also go to the computer manufacture's download website to install the latest compatible driver for your deviced.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Wednesday, January 26, 2011 9:30 AM

All replies

• Do you use TuneUp?

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Thursday, January 20, 2011 8:52 PM
  • Hi,

From the information of the hotfix, do you mean iexplore.exe? iexplore.exe and explorer.exe are different.

Also explorer.exe issues are mostly caused due to conflict with third party software instead of known fixes. We can troubleshoot to find out which software caused the issue.

When did this issue begin to occur?

As you reinstalled Windows Vista recently, please obtain the latest update first. Also go to the computer manufacture's download website to install the latest compatible driver for your deviced.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Wednesday, January 26, 2011 9:30 AM