none
WiFi frequently disconnects

Question

• Hi

I hope this is the right forum to ask my question. I have read other posts with problems related to my problems and there seem to be very competent answers

I have a Dell Latitude  (win XP, SP3) and one other computer (Vista) in the house. I have just had an installation made from a new ISP. Its a product where internet, TV and telephone is handled in the same box. The box also handles WiFi. Its a Sagem F@st box.

Until I had this product installed my wifi (until now handled by a D-link  Di-524) worked no problem on both PC's

The new wireless router is pre installed from the ISP and is WPA2 encrypted. They provide passphrase. On both PC's the initial connection and deencryption was uneventfull and both PC's connected to the router and internet without problems.

HOWEVER: The dell latitude very frequently disconnects WiFi. Seconds later it reconnects. I have not been able to find any pattern. It happens app once every minute. There is no problem on the Vista machine at all.

The WiFi adapter is an Intel(R) WiFi Link 5100 AGN

I just cannot figure out what is happening. The problem must somewhat be related to the Dell latitude. I tried to update the nework adapter driver but it seemed to be up to date. I have contacted the ISP - they say the problem must be related to my PC and not their product (And I tend to agree with them)

Any advice?

I have made WZCTrace logging on the problem but it bring me no where. I can mail the log if any one could find it usefull.

I really hope you can help me. The Latitude belongs to my wifi - imagine the problem this is causing me at home :-)

Best
    carstengaard
    Carstengaard Tranquil T2 homeserver
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 8:05 PM

Answers

• Hi all,

This is an old problem, but easy to sort out:

open network connections. right click your wifi network and select properties.

Under the general tab click configure.

under advanced tab scroll down to roaming agressiveness and select lowest.

then scroll down to wifi mode and select 802.11g only then click ok at the bottom.

wait a few seconds then manually turn your wifi radio button off then on again (on dells hold down the "Fn" key (bottom left of keyboard) and press F2 you will see the wifi led go off, do the same again to turn back on.

That should do the trick, i had that problem for 3 years until a mate of mine who works at intel told me all their drivers on default bsettings have problems with xp and vista! he told me to do this and it worked took 30secs to sort a 3 year problem!

Wednesday, June 08, 2011 7:56 AM

All replies

• is it completely disconnecting, or is it just timing out?
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 8:13 PM
  • Well - allthoug I think I am pretty well off with computers and networks i'm not quite sure what the difference is. I think it completely disconnects

this is what happens:

during internet browsin - suddenly the pages do not update.
    App one sec later the WiFi icon in the tray icon area will show as disconnected (you know - the red x)
    very short after - the network is reconnecting - first there is the "applying network adress" icon, then the icon change to connected and the "wireless network connected" balloon shows.

Then browsing as normal until it happens again

I imagine this to be a complete disconnect. If its a timeout i would imagine the network adaptor to be repeatitly trying to connect and ultimately getting a timeout!

Do you agree?

Thanks
    Carstengaard

Wednesday, October 14, 2009 8:24 PM
  • I would agree,, thats definitely a disconnect. have you tried something other than the WPA2 encryption, I dont know the exact reason, but ive seen problems with XP and WPA2 before, but not in every case, and usually what I do is just switch to WPA-PSK, and if that doesnt help go to SHARED. that would depend on your circumstances as far as how close anyone else was to you that may be able to connect (outside of your network) and all, but, you can deter that somewhat by setting the transmit power down some
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 8:32 PM
  • Tried to change encryption to WPA but do not help. Do not like the Shared protocol. I live in a highly populated area and the WiFi have to span basement to 1st.

Do you think you will be able to use the logging information?

best
    Carstengaard
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 8:41 PM
  • I could look and see if anything stands out, if you want to just upload the lof somewhere like Microsofts skydrive just create an account to use it and upload there and come back and post the link
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 8:49 PM
  • Hi

I have uploaded the log on http://cid-61ee630a6cf534e2.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/WZCTrace.LOG

The log is fresh from tonight (it is night here). I have stopped the log just after a disconnect and subsequently reconnect.

Best

Carstengaard

Wednesday, October 14, 2009 9:21 PM
  • I wasnt able to get a lot out of it,,but, I think you have some app thats causing it,,check the event viewer and see if theres anything listed in either the system or application sections that are having errors
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 2:19 AM
  • I have this problem too, I have a rather new Dell Latitude laptop with xp sp3, and the wifi disconnects and reconnects very frequently. Other computers in the household with other operating systems (win7/osx) doesn't have this problem. We use WPA2, and the access point is a linksys. Did anyone find an answer?

Sunday, November 14, 2010 9:56 AM
  • Even I have the same issue with my Dell Studio . I was using the Vista until I faced the wifi disconnection issue. Sometime the wifi do not connect at all , rather than connecting and disconnecting. I knew that the issue was not with the Wifi modem as two other dell studio laps with Windows 7 was working well with the same modem. I completely switched from Vista to 7 in the hope of solving this issue, but the result was the same. I called Dell tech support n their suggestion was to unistall and re install the driver. Did the same and the results the same.  The issues is not with the OS, the drivers are the issue.

Will update you if I find a solution across.

Wednesday, January 26, 2011 1:30 PM
  • Hi all,

This is an old problem, but easy to sort out:

open network connections. right click your wifi network and select properties.

Under the general tab click configure.

under advanced tab scroll down to roaming agressiveness and select lowest.

then scroll down to wifi mode and select 802.11g only then click ok at the bottom.

wait a few seconds then manually turn your wifi radio button off then on again (on dells hold down the "Fn" key (bottom left of keyboard) and press F2 you will see the wifi led go off, do the same again to turn back on.

That should do the trick, i had that problem for 3 years until a mate of mine who works at intel told me all their drivers on default bsettings have problems with xp and vista! he told me to do this and it worked took 30secs to sort a 3 year problem!

Wednesday, June 08, 2011 7:56 AM
  • Having the same issue, tried the suggestion above by Kenny dalglish. but still have the issue.

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 3:48 PM

• I really want to thank 'kenny dalglish' as after following the steps mentioned by him above I was able to resolve the frequent WiFi disconnect/connect issue with my Dell Latitude E5420 and the D Link WiFi router.

Thanks again and keep spreading the knowledge!!!

-Harsh Sangal

hsangal

Friday, April 06, 2012 5:43 AM