none
The User Profile Service service failed the logon. the user profile cannot be loaded

Question

• I have been runnung Vista home premium with no problems for some time. Now I want to add a second user. Each time I create a new user and then try to logon as the new user, I get this message:
    The User Profile Service service failed the logon. the user profile cannot be loaded.
    Other answers I have found relate to corrupted administrator accounts but that is not the problem I have.
    What can I do to enable the use of other users on this computer?

Thursday, May 28, 2009 4:05 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft TechNet Forum.

First of all, for further troubleshooting, may I ask some questions:

1.     How did you create a new user? Is it a account belonged to administrator group or standard user group?

2.     Does this issue occur with the current user? Do you receive any error code?

Based on my research, you can visit the following Microsoft KB on User Profile Service (ProfSvc) issue.

Error message when you log on to a Windows Vista-based computer by using a temporary profile: "The User Profile Service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded"

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947215

Meanwhile, to share an article on the Error "The User Profile Service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded."

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/130095-user-profile-service-failed-logon-user-profile-cannot-loaded.html

Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Friday, May 29, 2009 10:02 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft TechNet Forum.

First of all, for further troubleshooting, may I ask some questions:

1.     How did you create a new user? Is it a account belonged to administrator group or standard user group?

2.     Does this issue occur with the current user? Do you receive any error code?

Based on my research, you can visit the following Microsoft KB on User Profile Service (ProfSvc) issue.

Error message when you log on to a Windows Vista-based computer by using a temporary profile: "The User Profile Service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded"

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947215

Meanwhile, to share an article on the Error "The User Profile Service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded."

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/130095-user-profile-service-failed-logon-user-profile-cannot-loaded.html

Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Friday, May 29, 2009 10:02 AM
  • I am having exactly the same problem!

This is the first problem i have had with Vista, which is very disppointing.

Ive been using it for a year and  i want to add another user account now. I repeatedly get this message - 'The User Profile Service service failed the logon. the user profile cannot be loaded.'. Vista then proceeds to log me out of the account ive created and just entered.

I have tried numerous methods which have not worked. However, i am unwilling to reinstall vista or restore my system as there is a lot of work that i will lose, and there is no guarantee that it would work.

Please tell me if u have managed to solve this problem.

Your help is very much appreciated.

• Proposed as answer by firoz909 Sunday, October 02, 2011 5:57 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by firoz909 Sunday, October 02, 2011 5:57 PM
    Wednesday, March 24, 2010 8:07 AM
  • Hi, i have a similarish problem, my admin account has come up with "the user profile service service failed the logon -> user profile cannot be loaded

i've tried a system restore and i've tried the "regedit" thing, and nothing has helped. I can't delete this account or make any new ones because, I can only do that on my admin account, and I can't on to it. I don't mind losing everything on the admin account as long as I can get it working again . . .

any sugestions would be greatly apreciated

Thanks

Thursday, March 25, 2010 7:16 PM
  • YES!!! i solved it

This might not apply to you tory, but there are plenty of online solutions for it.

In my case, the hidden file -NTuser.dat in the hidden folder C:\Users\Default became a notepad (.txt) document.

I suspect this was why vista was unable to use the default user to create a new user at first logon. To whoever else has similar problems, i would reccommend setting file options so that hidden files are visible, and make sure that NTuser.dat, ntuser.dat.log1, etc are in the C:\Users\Default folder.

I copied the NTuserdat from a xp computer and put it on my vista computer, and have been able to successfully create a new account. Just ask a friend to get it for u off thier vista computer and put it on a usb for you.

Make sure NTuser.dat, ntuser.dat.log1 remain unopenable programs (do not set default open to word text) and everything should be sweet after that.

I hope this advice rly helps everyone else out there with the same problem. I spent ages searching for this solution, found none, but im really chuffed that i figured it out on my own.

• Proposed as answer by JennaW Monday, April 18, 2011 12:56 AM
    Friday, March 26, 2010 3:39 AM
  • Hi, I've came across such problem before as well and it was fixed by following windows registry hacks.

- Logon to another Administrator account.

- 'regedit' then locate 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList'

- In the left pane, look for the S-1-5..... folder (SID key) with the long number that has .bak at the end of the numbers.

- For Two S-1-5..... folders (SID key) with the same Number

1) In the left pane, right click on the first (top) S-1-5..... folder (SID key) that does not have .bak at the end of the numbers and click Rename.

2) Add .bk to the end of the numbers.

3) In the left pane, right click on the second S-1-5..... folder (SID  key) with .bak at the end of the numbers and click Rename.

4) Remove only .bak from the end of the numbers and press Enter.

5) Now go back and Rename the first one with .bk to .bak now at the end of the numbers and press Enter.

- In the right pane of the one without .bak now, right click on RefCount  and click on Modify. Type 0 (number) and click on OK.

- In the right pane of the one without .bak now, right click on State  and click on Modify. Type 0 (number) and click on OK.

- Close 'regedit' and restart computer.

For comprehensive instruction, see http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/130095-user-profile-service-failed-logon-user-profile-cannot-loaded.html

hopefully this helps.

• Proposed as answer by keyclick Tuesday, January 25, 2011 12:49 AM
    Monday, March 29, 2010 8:04 AM
  • All you need to do is turn off User Account Control and then log in with the new account.

Restart the PC then turn User Account Control back on.

Simple

• Proposed as answer by Rogue66 Saturday, April 03, 2010 11:59 AM
    Saturday, April 03, 2010 11:59 AM
  • I had the same problem but it was the only account that had admin priviledges... and all the solutions I ran across required you to do something that only an admin account could do.

Using a non-admin account, I was able to check the date of the ntuser.dat file in the c:\users\default folder.  It was April 10... which was about when the problem started so I figured that was my start date for my woes.

I then rebooted and used F11 to access System Restore at bootup (This was an HP, I think a Dell is F8) and restored to a day before April 10.

The system came up fine under the existing admin account... and I immediately added another admin account as a backdoor if needed.

This was a wise decision, as when I then shut down the machine, it proceeded to install 8 MS updates.

Being the curious type, once the machine finished that and shutdown, I restarted and tried to use the original admin account and just like magic... I was back to the same error message.  How cool is that!!! @#$%^#$%^

Obviously, one of the updates trashed the original admin login... but not the new login (???)

Rebooted again... this time the original login worked.

ditto

ditto

Rebooted again with the new login... that was still OK.

So it worked after a few bumps. 

Since we had only one admin account and that was corrupted this was our only option, but this should work for other profiles as well.

Thursday, April 15, 2010 4:31 PM
  • I had the same problem but it was the only account that had admin priviledges... and all the solutions I ran across required you to do something that only an admin account could do.

Using a non-admin account, I was able to check the date of the ntuser.dat file in the c:\users\default folder.  It was April 10... which was about when the problem started so I figured that was my start date for my woes.

I then rebooted and used F11 to access System Restore at bootup (This was an HP, I think a Dell is F8) and restored to a day before April 10.

The system came up fine under the existing admin account... and I immediately added another admin account as a backdoor if needed.

This was a wise decision, as when I then shut down the machine, it proceeded to install 8 MS updates.

Being the curious type, once the machine finished that and shutdown, I restarted and tried to use the original admin account and just like magic... I was back to the same error message.  How cool is that!!! @#$%^#$%^

Obviously, one of the updates trashed the original admin login... but not the new login (???)

Rebooted again... this time the original login worked.

ditto

ditto

Rebooted again with the new login... that was still OK.

So it worked after a few bumps. 

Since we had only one admin account and that was corrupted this was our only option, but this should work for other profiles as well.

Thursday, April 15, 2010 4:35 PM
  • Thanks to Temaingenjor. The registry hack fixed it for me. Luckily the pc was a member of a domain so I could use a domain admin account to login and fix a local corrupt account.
    London UK
    Saturday, June 05, 2010 5:45 PM
  • I am having a similar problem, however, I only have my original domain, no other accounts. I try to logon to my account by typing my password in and it gives me the message:  "The user profile service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded." I'm not sure that trying the solutions on this conversaiton would fix my problem, since I only have my account. I am able to logon through safe mode, but I'm not sure what to do with anything in attempt to resolve my problem.

Any help would be much appreciated!

thank you!

Monday, June 21, 2010 5:28 PM
  • I have essentially the same problem.  I do have access to the administor account however I am not able to change the log in parameters (only the profile in question is available to me. 

As above, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sunday, July 11, 2010 5:11 PM
  • All you need to do is turn off User Account Control and then log in with the new account.

Simple

While this does indeed work, I'm curious why.

I am in the process of imaging 100+ laptops.  There is only one user on the machine and the only users listed in the registry are the system accounts and my one user.  There are no .bak listings in the registry. My one user logs on to the machine just fine.  When I create a new user and try to log on I get the "User Profile Service failed" error. I joined the machine to an AD domain (our company policy) and tried to log on as a network user and got the same error.  I get the same error joined to a domain or not, whether the user is a local admin or not.

Turning off UAC, logging in as the new user (network or local), then turning UAC back on did indeed work.  However, It's a pain in the rump to have to do that for EVERY new user that may log in.  I guess what I'm looking for is less of a band aid fix and more of a solution.  In the mean time the band aid will allow me to continue my imaging project.

• Proposed as answer by RKB4YOU Friday, July 16, 2010 12:02 PM
    Wednesday, July 14, 2010 3:07 PM

Simple

While this does indeed work, I'm curious why.

I am in the process of imaging 100+ laptops.  There is only one user on the machine and the only users listed in the registry are the system accounts and my one user.  There are no .bak listings in the registry. My one user logs on to the machine just fine.  When I create a new user and try to log on I get the "User Profile Service failed" error. I joined the machine to an AD domain (our company policy) and tried to log on as a network user and got the same error.  I get the same error joined to a domain or not, whether the user is a local admin or not.

Turning off UAC, logging in as the new user (network or local), then turning UAC back on did indeed work.  However, It's a pain in the rump to have to do that for EVERY new user that may log in.  I guess what I'm looking for is less of a band aid fix and more of a solution.  In the mean time the band aid will allow me to continue my imaging project.

JUST COPY OLD DEFAULT, DEFAULT USER AND ALL USER PROFILE  AND ENJOY
    Friday, July 16, 2010 12:03 PM
  • In most cases on any NT based machine [Windows nt and up including XP Vista Server 2003 2008 etc] all you need to do is enable viewing hidden and system files and unhide exts.  Then go to our profiles folder [usually C:\documents and settings\username unless you have a custom setting].   Find the NTUser.txt and delete, logoff and back on.  Windows keeps backup copies of this and other core profile files and should auto recreate it from whenever the last backup was done [should be done after the last SUCCESSFUL login] so you may see some newer changes not present [things like menu customization NOT documents or pictures or actual files.  This is by far the easiest way to fix.  I am willing to bet the gentleman that used the NTUser.dat from an XP install actually had this happen as NTUser.dats are specific to not only a version of windows but the machine they are installed to and as such 99% of the time an XP ntuser.dat will not work on say a Vista install.
    Thursday, July 29, 2010 2:56 PM
  • I have the same problem and followed you directions above but when i right click the first SID (the one without .bak) and try to add a .bk i get a warning that i cannot change the name

Any help is appreciated

Thanks

Thursday, October 14, 2010 5:15 PM
  • I have a similar problem to that identified above. All of the fixes above require access to the system via one route or another. I have none - when I turn on the computer (a desktop), I get the option of putting in my password only. I put in my password, it tells me:

"The User Profile Service service failed the logon.

User profile cannot be loaded."

It is the administrator account. There are no other accounts on the computer.

I'm not that techy. What can I do?

Wednesday, October 20, 2010 7:26 AM
  • I have a similar problem:

We have two new Dells with Windows 7 on them - fresh install.

I made an Admin account just fine.

I created a standard user account, logged off the admin account, and attempted to logon with the user account. I received the error message: "User Profile Service service failed to logon"

I checked the registry and no key was made for the new user account, I also checked the C:\Users folder and no folder with the new username was created.

I attempted to reboot with no success.

I cannot do a system restore as there are no restore points because it is a new system.

Any admin account I make works fine.

Work-around I found: If I make the user a member of the admin group then I can log that account in. Once I log it in, I can remove the account from the admin group, leaving it as a user group, then I can logon with that account and use it just fine as a standard user account.

Aside from doing a new install, does anyone have any other ideas?

I attempted messing with group policy editor, only everything is at the default settings - not configured.

I attempted regedit, but like I said there are no keys for the new user account...

There are no warnings or errors in event viewer, event viewer actually shows the user account being logged on, another account logging on, then the user account logging off...

I also tried removing the NTuser.dat file from the default user folder, only the system did not create a new one. I instead received some error messages upon logging in via the work-around method. I had to re-copy the files back to get rid of those error messages.

Short of trying a fresh install, I am lost here. Oh, one more thing, These systems are NOT connected to the internet, although I will have to find a way to do that to activate them within the remaining 12 days. (they are only for working on Resume's and typing skills for homeless people, I'm volunteering at the Catholic Charities to set these up.)

Thanks for any tips.

Ron

Sunday, October 24, 2010 5:51 AM
  • I have a similar problem to that identified above. All of the fixes above require access to the system via one route or another. I have none - when I turn on the computer (a desktop), I get the option of putting in my password only. I put in my password, it tells me:

"The User Profile Service service failed the logon.

User profile cannot be loaded."

It is the administrator account. There are no other accounts on the computer.

I'm not that techy. What can I do?

I have the same problem and I'm technically challenged when it come to this kind of stuff. I NEED HELP TOO!!!!
    Sunday, October 24, 2010 4:09 PM
  • Thank You

It just fixed my problem.

I was attempting to access the machine via Citrix Web Interface, as this machine is part of the Citrix farm. I got the the error message and the session was terminated. Following these instructions, I was able to isolate, and resolve the problem.

Thank You

Friday, November 05, 2010 12:55 PM
  • Bless your heart for sharing how to fix this problem!   Have had my laptop for several years with no issues.  A week or so ago, I got that awful message when trying to log on.  Could access the other user but nothing was saved there.   Followed your instructions and I am back up and running again. (Turns out the number that was typed in for State was 8000).   I have tons of pictures that were saved only under that one user name so am thrilled to find them again. Any idea how to prevent this from happening again?
    Sunday, November 07, 2010 1:27 AM
  • I have exactly the same problem, but only on laptops. Allow me to give you my information...

I have a domain based on Windows Server 2008 R2. I have two desktops and one laptop. At a certain point I was unable to login on the laptop with existing profiles, because I got exactly the same error message. I created a brand new user and noticed exactly the same issue. I then re-installed the laptop, desktops and deleted ALL related profiles. I was already planning a clean environment anyway.

After deployment of the laptop and desktops I am again unable to logon to the laptop, but I am able to logon to the desktops. But once a roaming profile is created on the network share (by logon on a desktoP0 I am able to login to the laptop. This problem is so weird. I was wondering if I changed a Group Policy or something that might cause this issue. The only thing I previously changed was enabling Folder Redirection for some folders.

Why is it when I create a brand new user and try to logon on the laptop I get this error message???

Boudewijn Plomp, BPMi Infrastructure & Security
    Sunday, November 21, 2010 8:46 AM
  • I'm having a similar problen too.  I login as admin user, create a new standard user, but when I login as that user I get the "User Profile Service service failed to logon".

I tried all the recommended fixes, but there is no key created in the registry for the user, and the C:\Users\<user> folder isn't created.  I noticed that the permissions/sharing on C:\Users\Default didn't seem to give access to that folder to any users so I added sharing permission Everybody=Read for that folder and it seems to have worked.  The keys are created in the Registry, and the User folder is created under C:\Users.  I'm still ironing it out, but it does seem to be caused by the permissions on the Default user folder.

C

• Proposed as answer by James Maxson Tuesday, April 23, 2013 1:57 PM
    Monday, November 29, 2010 10:49 PM
  • I am having exactly the same problem!

This is the first problem i have had with Vista, which is very disppointing.

Ive been using it for a year and  i want to add another user account now. I repeatedly get this message - 'The User Profile Service service failed the logon. the user profile cannot be loaded.'. Vista then proceeds to log me out of the account ive created and just entered.

I have tried numerous methods which have not worked. However, i am unwilling to reinstall vista or restore my system as there is a lot of work that i will lose, and there is no guarantee that it would work.

Please tell me if u have managed to solve this problem.

Your help is very much appreciated.

I got so mad at what it said to me, so on my slow retarted desktop running windows 7 pro. i scavenged the internet and found out that you have to boot in safe mode and use system restore. i did and a few minutes later i didn't lose anything and i was back on my computer. P.s. I had a different problem because i patched some system files but system restore will fix just aboutany screw up u make if you yourself can't login and your computer becomes practically useless.
    Sunday, December 12, 2010 8:49 PM
  • I had the same problem this morning as Tomster2 - seems the windows update from 7 Jan 2011 trashed my admin login. 

Rebooted and went into safe mode. Went into system restore and noticed that there was a restore point which had been automatically created on 7 Jan. Prior to this date, everything was working fine.  So I restored to the previous day and was able to login.

I created a backup admin account in case I need to get in again. Haven't had the courage yet to reboot again though!

Monday, January 10, 2011 10:58 AM
  • You're a life saver! I cannot thank you enough for this post. It helped me access my computer again. I only had one user profile, and all the so called tech support guys told me that I'll need to reinstall Windows for a hefty fee. Thanks again!
    Tuesday, January 11, 2011 4:44 PM
  • I had the same issue and fortunately I am that techy. ;)

As the computer restarts, just after you see the manufacturer's boot up screen (Dell or HP or whatever) start pressing the F8 key until you get a menu with an option to boot into "Safe mode COMMAND PROMPT" only.

Then, log into your admit account, type regedit, and follow the steps at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947215 (as quoted above).

This is the only way I could get in. The KB article does mention safe mode but I needed to use the even more restricted command-prompt-only mode.

Not sure yet why this keeps happening, though.

Sunday, March 13, 2011 9:39 PM
  • BORED WITH THIS NOW!

Hi have followed some steps from somewhere out there to gain control of the administrator password, i can login to it now.

I changed the S-1-5 number ending in .BAK to .BK, this worked hurrah i think but no.

Now i only have a brand spanking new administrator account and no others.In the control panal my old user profiles are there but not when i start up, hence i've lost all my data, and user profiles

Any idaes on how i can get them back to the start up screen?

I can't even find the web site that i gained the steps which may have coverd this issue.

cheers chickens.

Thursday, March 24, 2011 7:29 PM
  • Thnx to the NewZealander, your tip helped me.

In my case de access rights (/user/default/......(all files and sub-dir's)) were set wrong (Windows 7). I compared them with an other installation and changed the access rights of the docs and dir's with the right settings.

Thursday, June 23, 2011 2:25 PM
  • PERFECT ....

After much googling and trying - this finally did it

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 12:06 PM
  • Just now fixed it:

"User Profile Service service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded.

My Issue:

My system (Win 7 OS -32bit) was infected with an Adware/Spyware that kept posting false notification that my pc was corrupted.

I manually removed the folder under AppData which is under c:\users folder. In that attempt I removed many folders using an 'admin' logon, which also removed some important user profile files.

Symptoms:

1. Tried logging in using (existing)another user id, it shows the above "profile error"

2. Deleted the old users > re-created new users and tried logging on >> still shows the above error.

Diagnostics/ Solution:

I was trying all the options mentioned in this site, but nothing seems to be fixing this "User Profile Service failed the logon" Issue on Win 7 OS.

I did the following to fix the issue:

1. Go to a different Windows machine (my case win 7 OS 64 bit, "32bit / 64 bit", it doesn't matter), open windows explorer (click on documents icon)

2. On the left top, click on Organize Menu > Select Folder and search options >Click on View Tab

3. Select "Show hidden files, folders and drives" option - click ok

4. Go to 'C:\Users' folder and copy the 'Default' folder in your pen drive

5. Come back to the corrupt PC, which has issues (In my case, my admin logon works but all other users thrown the above error)

6. Logged into the affected PC using my admin logon > do the same step from step 2 to step 3 (enable to show  hidden files)

7. Go to the folder 'C:\Users' > copy the folder 'Default' from pen drive that you did in Step 4  and paste it here.

8. After copying, right click the Default Folder >> Properties >>  Security Tab >> select 'Everyone' and give 'Write Permission'

9. Do the same as in Step 8 for 'Users' then give full control permission to 'System' and 'Administrators'

10. Navigate into "C:\Users\Default" and right click on 'AppData' folder >>Properties>> Security tab >> and ensure all permissions are unchanged for the users that you did in step 8 to step 9.

Thats it, you are done!!!!

New User:

In my Case, I re-created new user - 'symptom 2', It worked like a charm, If you guys want to restore your files from corrupted profiles - you have the option to 'Keep files' from profiles while deleting old users.

I suggest you try logging in using your old user id's, before creating new user; if it doesn't, do the 'New User' step.

Take Care

Ravi Ganesan

Email: ravi.ganesan@live.com

• Proposed as answer by tnatac Friday, November 22, 2013 6:53 PM
    Sunday, July 31, 2011 4:34 PM
  • There are many possibilities as to why the New User function does not finish its job. One of the most prevalent is that something is put into the User/Default directory that is corrupted or is controlled by a system routine that won’t let it be copied. Many have reported finding .sqm files as being their problem. Mine was with Rapport.

Rapport is a lightweight security software solution that protects web communication between enterprises, such as banks, and their customers and employees. You may have been asked by you bank to download it as an extra protection for financial transactions.

Beware there are issues with Rapport and Win 7. It creates a directory under User/Default/AppData/Roaming called Trusteer/Rapport/user/store/user which has a file user_var_0.cfg.data.

I do not know if this file was corrupted or if they controlled it through the System, but when you go to create a new user it will not get a profile and you will be going through the old Vista error problems and not being able to log in to the new user.

Event errors show that the new user routine was not able to copy the file which left the routine in hung mode and didn’t finish.

This will also show up when trying to use IIS www to bring up a htm file. The service tries to create a pass through user using the application pool and it ends up with the same problem of not able to copy the file, except now it can’t delete the temp. user and you end up with a boat load of new users with each retry.

Changing the rights in Safe Mode was not helpful, the only solution was to cut the file and move it somewhere else in Safe Mode.

Until they fix their Win 7 problems I’m uninstalling.

• Proposed as answer by OldLinda Tuesday, August 21, 2012 10:13 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by OldLinda Tuesday, August 21, 2012 10:13 AM
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 7:51 PM
  • Thanks!  That solved my problem easily!!  No messing with the registry.
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 10:51 PM
  • I just discovered the same problem with my system (Win 7 64-bit). And that is 2:nd time it happens. Last time I fixed it by creating a new user. Nothing else helped.

Yesterday (December 16, 2011)  when I close my computer I was asked to wait until some big Windows Update finished. Today when I try to log on my account I received “The User Profile Service service failed the logon. the user profile cannot be loaded”. To me it looks like Windows update screw up my account. Last known configuration didn’t help.

Saturday, December 17, 2011 2:01 PM
  • you are a freaking genius. thank you so much
    Wednesday, December 28, 2011 2:03 AM
  • Thanks Ravi.

This works perfectly for us . No regestry risk or othere OS changes.

We couldn't log-on with new users to this PC and by folwing your instructions the problem solved.

Best wishes

Thursday, January 05, 2012 3:30 PM
  • Hi OGnome

I have this problem and I also have Rapport installed.  I have now uninstalled it but still have the problems.  Are there some files that I need to delete?

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 3:00 PM

Simple

Tried the ntuser.dat trick but that didn't help. Disabled UAC as suggested above, rebooted, logged in fine, re-enabled it, job done. Any insight as to why this little trick works?

Cheers
    Jon
    Monday, September 10, 2012 9:03 AM
  • This worked on a problem I was having! Looks like the security permissions on Users\Default got corrupted, and caused any _non_ admin users to basically just fail when logging in.
    Tuesday, April 23, 2013 1:58 PM
  • This worked for two HP Computers that were having this problem at the same time. Using Windows 7.

Thanks RaviGanesan for the tip!!!

Share link to this page: http://bit.ly/15kV4oQ

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 9:35 PM
  • There was no profile in the registry ending with .BAK, as the loging coming up with the error were new accounts that have not had a profile created yet after the hickup. Existing login accounts with existing profiles had no problem loging on.

The bandaid solution of turning User Access Control off, then loging the new user in, then loging youm off, re-logging as Admin and turning it back on worked, but was no long term solution.

I did initially physicaly remove a folder belonging to the user coming up with the error, and I did a registry repair following that, but that did not help.

My conclusion for this was however that Windows was using the C:/Users/Default folder to establish new profiles. I theorized that it was a permissions issue.

Changing permissions to Modify on the Default folder did resolve the issue.

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 6:05 PM

Simple

Awesome, simple solution and it's just a toggle, so little risk.  Worked great!
    Friday, September 20, 2013 12:10 AM
  • Thank you so much for this! This fixed my problem!

I just renamed the old "Default" folder to "DefaultOLD" and then copied a "Default" folder from a known working computer and now new users can login.

Thursday, October 03, 2013 7:18 PM
  • Just now fixed it:

"User Profile Service service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded.

My Issue:

My system (Win 7 OS -32bit) was infected with an Adware/Spyware that kept posting false notification that my pc was corrupted.

I manually removed the folder under AppData which is under c:\users folder. In that attempt I removed many folders using an 'admin' logon, which also removed some important user profile files.

Symptoms:

1. Tried logging in using (existing)another user id, it shows the above "profile error"

2. Deleted the old users > re-created new users and tried logging on >> still shows the above error.

Diagnostics/ Solution:

I was trying all the options mentioned in this site, but nothing seems to be fixing this "User Profile Service failed the logon" Issue on Win 7 OS.

I did the following to fix the issue:

1. Go to a different Windows machine (my case win 7 OS 64 bit, "32bit / 64 bit", it doesn't matter), open windows explorer (click on documents icon)

2. On the left top, click on Organize Menu > Select Folder and search options >Click on View Tab

3. Select "Show hidden files, folders and drives" option - click ok

4. Go to 'C:\Users' folder and copy the 'Default' folder in your pen drive

5. Come back to the corrupt PC, which has issues (In my case, my admin logon works but all other users thrown the above error)

6. Logged into the affected PC using my admin logon > do the same step from step 2 to step 3 (enable to show  hidden files)

7. Go to the folder 'C:\Users' > copy the folder 'Default' from pen drive that you did in Step 4  and paste it here.

8. After copying, right click the Default Folder >> Properties >>  Security Tab >> select 'Everyone' and give 'Write Permission'

9. Do the same as in Step 8 for 'Users' then give full control permission to 'System' and 'Administrators'

10. Navigate into "C:\Users\Default" and right click on 'AppData' folder >>Properties>> Security tab >> and ensure all permissions are unchanged for the users that you did in step 8 to step 9.

Thats it, you are done!!!!

New User:

In my Case, I re-created new user - 'symptom 2', It worked like a charm, If you guys want to restore your files from corrupted profiles - you have the option to 'Keep files' from profiles while deleting old users.

I suggest you try logging in using your old user id's, before creating new user; if it doesn't, do the 'New User' step.

Take Care

Ravi Ganesan

Email: ravi.ganesan@live.com

Thanks Ravi Ganesan. Your solution is the best! Easy and simple: just copy the folder "c:\users\default" from another PC onto the PC with the problem. That is it! Worked so well.
    Friday, November 22, 2013 6:59 PM
  • I had this problem. I was even unable to use runas /user:someotherdomainuser

It complained about not being able to locate some file...

I checked in the Users\Default folder and NTUser.dat was missing. So I copied it from another domain machine and then it worked.

I have no idea how it was killed.

Tuesday, December 03, 2013 8:32 PM
  • THANK YOU! You saved my poor computer's life

My Brother had an account of his own, which he accidentally corrupted. I tried to make another, but it failed with the error "Failed to load the Windows User Service." What I didn't know as he deleted my Default folder! So, I looked back in previous folders, restored it, and bam! It all worked again! I have a Windows 7, but it worked out fine.

I will vote for this post.

Again, Thank you very much. Cheers!

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 12:12 PM
  • I had the same issue and also was able to log in with UAC off. I just copied the entire default folder from another PC, renamed the default folder on the bad PC to default_old pasted the good folder, and all is fixed.
    Monday, June 02, 2014 5:58 PM
  • I had to replace the whole C:\users\Default folder (ntuser.dat was there and replacing that file didn't help). But replacing the whole folder did help. Phew. Thanks for putting me on the right track. The hint was that ALL new user accounts had the same issue.
    Wednesday, June 11, 2014 10:14 AM