none
Installing x86 (additional drivers) for printer on windows 7 64-bit

Question

• Hi,

in a nutshell: i am trying to print over a home network from windows XP PC to a printer which is physically connected to a windows 7 PC.

Long story:
    i have windows 7 desktop (enterprise ed) which is connected to a brother usb printer MFC-215C which works fine.
    i have a laptop with XP (home ed, SP3) which is on the same home network as the windows 7 and i try to print to the printer from it.

sharing is enabled on the printer and both computers can see each other's shared files.

the problem: on windows 7, i click on "Additional Drivers" in the printer properties (as described here) and try to add the x86 architecture. I browse to the printer installation CD to F:\ENG\WXP\USB (where the files brimb3e1.inf & brprb3e1.inf are present). Then i click OK, and this message is given:
    "the specified location does not contain the driver Brother MFC-215C USB for the requested processor architecture".
    I downloaded the XP 32-bit drivers from brother's support site and tried to use them, but they seem to be identical to those on the CD and the installation fails just the same.
    I also tried to install the driver directly on the XP machine via the "add printer" wizard, but the result again is the same.

note that this printer used to be installed and working on an XP machine (and the drivers were installed from the CD i used here)

what am i doing wrong?
    is it at all possible to print from windows XP to a printer connected to windows 7 over a home network?

thanks
    asaf

• Edited by asafd Saturday, September 24, 2011 8:04 AM typo
    Saturday, September 24, 2011 8:03 AM

Answers

• i eventually managed to print from the XP machine. the solution was to download and install the complete suite for the printer from www.borther.com. once i installed all of it on the XP machine, it worked.

asaf

• Marked as answer by asafd Sunday, February 12, 2012 10:33 PM
    Sunday, February 12, 2012 10:33 PM

All replies

• hi,

in order to print from 64-bit OS you need to have 64-bit printer drivers. Check the Vendor site to obtain the 64-bit drivers, unless the vendor stated that 32-bit drivers are compatible with 64-bit platform. Windows XP you need 32-bit.

the printer is compatible: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/Details.aspx?type=Hardware&p=Brother%20MFC-215C%20All-in-One%20Printer&v=Brother&uid=MFC215CZW1&pf=6&pi=7&c=Printers%20%26%20Scanners&sc=Multifunction&os=32-bit

Regards George www.supportweblog.com

• Edited by George Fr Saturday, September 24, 2011 5:23 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Renee Culver Tuesday, October 30, 2012 11:07 AM
    Saturday, September 24, 2011 5:19 PM

• Hi,

in a nutshell: i am trying to print over a home network from windows XP PC to a printer which is physically connected to a windows 7 PC.

Long story:
    i have windows 7 desktop (enterprise ed) which is connected to a brother usb printer MFC-215C which works fine.
    i have a laptop with XP (home ed, SP3) which is on the same home network as the windows 7 and i try to print to the printer from it.

sharing is enabled on the printer and both computers can see each other's shared files.

the problem: on windows 7, i click on "Additional Drivers" in the printer properties (as described here) and try to add the x86 architecture. I browse to the printer installation CD to F:\ENG\WXP\USB (where the files brimb3e1.inf & brprb3e1.inf are present). Then i click OK, and this message is given:
    "the specified location does not contain the driver Brother MFC-215C USB for the requested processor architecture".
    I downloaded the XP 32-bit drivers from brother's support site and tried to use them, but they seem to be identical to those on the CD and the installation fails just the same.
    I also tried to install the driver directly on the XP machine via the "add printer" wizard, but the result again is the same.

note that this printer used to be installed and working on an XP machine (and the drivers were installed from the CD i used here)

what am i doing wrong?
    is it at all possible to print from windows XP to a printer connected to windows 7 over a home network?

thanks
    asaf

Download the Brother  printer MFC-215C x64 for Windows 7

Drivers/Windows® 7 x64 Edition

Full Driver & Software Package

We recommend this download to get the most functionality out of your Brother machine. This is a comprehensive file containing available drivers and software for the Brother machine.

Language Version Size Release Date File
    English A 34.25MB 02/12/2009 Download & Information

ControlCenter3 Update Tool

Utilities/Windows® 7 x64 Edition

A software update file used to enhance or correct functions with ControlCenter3.

English 1.30.0020 10.91MB 05/07/2011 Download & Information

Uninstall Tool

This Uninstall Tool is useful if you want to reinstall the driver through Windows Plug and Play.

English 1.0.6.3 0.44MB 18/04/2011 Download & Information

Drivers (For Advanced users)/Windows® 7 x64 Edition

Printer Driver & Scanner Driver for Local Connection

This download only includes the printer and scanner (WIA and/or TWAIN) drivers, optimized for USB or Parallel interface. Please note that the availability of these interfaces depends on the model number of your machine and the operating system you are using.

To get the most functionality out of your Brother machine, we recommend you install Full Driver & Software Package *. (* Not available for Windows Server®.)

English A 3.83MB 02/12/2009 Download & Information

Add Printer Wizard Driver

This download only includes the printer drivers and is for users who are familiar with installation using the Add Printer Wizard in Windows®.

To get the most functionality out of your Brother machine, we recommend you install Full Driver & Software Package *. (* Not available for Windows Server®.)

English A 3.83MB 02/12/2009 Download & Information

MCP | MCTS | MCITP
    Saturday, September 24, 2011 9:43 PM
  • what i am missing is the x86 driver not the 68-bit driver. My printer works perfectly OK on windows 7 64-bit.

Sunday, September 25, 2011 4:48 AM
  • what i am missing is the x86 driver not the 68-bit driver. My printer works perfectly OK on windows 7 64-bit.

Sunday, September 25, 2011 4:51 AM
  • what i am missing is the x86 driver not the 64-bit driver. My printer works perfectly OK on windows 7 64-bit. as you can see x64 is already installed

• Edited by asafd Sunday, September 25, 2011 5:12 AM
    Sunday, September 25, 2011 4:55 AM
  • what i am missing is the x86 driver not the 64-bit driver. My printer works perfectly OK on windows 7 64-bit. as you can see in the screenshot, in my previous post, x64 is already installed.

• Edited by asafd Sunday, September 25, 2011 5:12 AM
    Sunday, September 25, 2011 4:56 AM
  • every operating system uses the dirvers installed localy on the system, it is not related where it's connected. You should install 32bit on XP and 64bit on 7. then when you try to print it uses the local resource (local drivers) to print.

Regards George www.supportweblog.com
    Sunday, September 25, 2011 7:38 AM
  • Hi George,

thanks for the reply, but you can see from my first message that i did try to install the x86 drivers on my XP machine. I also tried to use the windows 7 feature which (as i understand) allows it to supply with client machines the correct driver for them.

this didn't work.  if you read what i wrote and think i did something wrong, please be more specific as to what it is, since i really don't understand if your reply is relevant to me. My problem is very specific - my x86 drivers don't appear to work although they did work when i had only XP.

Sunday, September 25, 2011 1:53 PM
  • Hi asafd,

Please refer to here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Share-a-printer. Ensure you correctly configure the shared printer.

Then go to Brother official website download and install the right driver on both your Windows XP machine and Windows 7 machine.

Regards,

Miya

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 5:28 AM
  • i did that. still no work.
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 6:19 AM
  • can somebody PLEASE give me specific instructions (bullets will do, no need to be too illustrative) on what to do on the W7 machine and what to do on the XP?

note that:

1. the printer work great on the machine it is physically connected to (W7)

2. the printer seems to be shared correctly (i can see it from the remote machine)

3. I downloaded from www.brother.com the x86 drivers and tried to give them to the wizard (for "Addittional Drivers" --> x86) . didn't work.

4. I downloaded from www.brother.com the 64-bit drivers and tried to give them to the wizard (for "Addittional Drivers" --> x86) . didn't work.

what am i missing?

appreciate any help!

thanks

asaf

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 7:14 AM
  • Hi asaf,

Could you see this shared printer from your Windows XP machine?

What's the version of your Windows 7 ? Home? Professional?

Follow the steps here to check if it works: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/itprovistaprinting/thread/0e9164a4-0c87-48e9-bced-ff4d378e03ac/  

If not, please tell us the error you got.

Regards,

Miya

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 8:41 AM
  • hi,

yes, (as i previously wrote) i can see the printer from my xp machine.

W7 is Enterprise SP1 (SP1 just got installed the other day)

i will try these steps and let you know.

thanks

asaf

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 9:08 AM
  • the link you sent is not related to my problem. My problem is in installing the drivers for the XP machine to be able to work with the printer.
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 12:59 PM
  • Hello,

If you are able to print from Windows 7, you don't need to install any drivers on Windows 7.  The issue is printing with Windows XP. 

Could you provide the error you are given when you attempt to install the x86 drivers on Windows XP? 

Also, is your version of Windows XP 64-bit or 32-bit?  To find this out please follow the instructions on: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827218

Thanks,

-Mohit

• Marked as answer by Miya YaoModerator Friday, October 07, 2011 2:31 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by asafd Friday, October 07, 2011 6:55 AM
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 6:21 PM
  • Hi Mohit,

my XP is home edition 32-bit.

here's what i get when trying to install the driver on it:

Friday, October 07, 2011 7:03 AM
  • and 2 more pictures to complete the flow:

thanks,

asaf

Friday, October 07, 2011 7:04 AM
  • From what I can tell: you are placing the driver files in a folder and installing them while you attempt to add the networked printer. 

Have you tried using the driver installer provided by Brother instead?  Brother Printers recommends using the installer executable, and not the method you are using.

You can find the executable on brother's website here.

EDIT: The installer executable is the topmost entry called: "Full Driver & Software Package".

Let me know if this method works.

-Mohit

Friday, October 07, 2011 9:43 PM
  • hi Mohit,

yes, you are right - this is how i am trying to install the driver: using the Add Printer wizard and supplying the downloaded driver files.

i actually did try to use the CD installation (i have the original CD and it worked fine when i had the printer physically connected to an XP box). However, when i try to use the CD on my laptop (yes, XP), the wizard asks me to plug in the printer USB, which i can't coz its connected to my other PC.

any advice?

Saturday, October 08, 2011 4:43 PM
  • Hey asafd, I found this thread when googling in desperation on the same problem.

My setup:

Windows 7 64bit machine with Brother DCP-330c USB printer installed
    Windows XP 32bit (Embedded) machine that I needed to access the DCP-330c
    Flat layer 2 network across the office, all going into one switch

From the XP machine I can see the shared printer on the W7 machine, just like you. I can go through the add printer wizard, get the error that the 'server' has not got the correct driver installed. When I go to the 'Additional Drivers' dialogue in W7, I have the same check boxes, when I click the x86 option and try to add the Brother-supplied Windows XP driver, it gives the same error you have mentioned.

I tried using a variety of drivers, customising .INI files to match some of the accepted x64 drivers... No dice. I tried installing the 330c 32bit driver on the XP machine via the installer (after moving the printer across the office, getting a bit desperate). It worked when plugged in via USB.  It still couldn't accept the driver was installed for that printer when I moved it back and tried again over the network.

Eventually, I went to using another printer (a Brother HL 2040) on the Windows 7 machine. The driver for this was only 840KB (compared to 7MB for the 330c) and worked without a hitch on the 'Additional Drivers' dialogue. The XP machine saw the shared printer, dragged the driver from the server and worked perfectly.

From this, I can only assume that the Brother driver has a problem with being shared via network, but I can't get deep enough into debugging drivers (due to not knowing what the hell I'm doing) to find out more. It's possible there is a generic driver for that printer, but I just gave up in the end.

Sunday, February 12, 2012 8:19 PM
  • i eventually managed to print from the XP machine. the solution was to download and install the complete suite for the printer from www.borther.com. once i installed all of it on the XP machine, it worked.

asaf

• Marked as answer by asafd Sunday, February 12, 2012 10:33 PM
    Sunday, February 12, 2012 10:33 PM
  • I have had this problem and the fix is relatively simple athough somewhat obscure. On the XP machine you have to edit the .inf file for the 32 bit driver. The description of the printer in the inf file must match the the description on the 64 bit machine exactly. I was trying to install an Epson 820 shared off a Windows 7 machine.

Example:

The driver description in Windows 7 was "Epson Stylus Photo 820 (M)"

The inf file for the 32 bit XP driver had a description "Epson Stylus Photo 820 Series" it would not install until I changed it to match the Win 7 description I got the same message about no suitable driver. Did the edit and it installed perfectly from the client machine. Now I can add the printer to any XP machine and the driver is pushed out by the Windows 7 machine.

Strange but true.

• Proposed as answer by topcat101 Friday, October 05, 2012 9:48 AM
    Friday, July 13, 2012 12:33 PM
  • Thanks for the answer Krabotnik.  I've been working with a epson rx620 with same issue.  i couldn't believe your solution it was too simple but it worked like a champ!  My wifes vista laptop can now print on the rx620 attached to my win 7 machine.
    • Proposed as answer by Mr O-Gabs Thursday, September 13, 2012 2:55 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Mr O-Gabs Thursday, September 13, 2012 2:55 PM
    Sunday, September 02, 2012 2:50 PM
  • Experience is the best teacher;

Solution:

1. Install the printer on the eg Win 7 64bit and share( on PC1), with connect via local usb

2. Install the printer again as a local printer on the other PC, ( Pc2, Pc3, etc), with connect via local usb option. ( the printer might need to be physically connected to these pc2,pc3...)

3. on the pcs in 2 above , use the normal : \\PC1, to open the shared printer

4. rightclick the shared priter name , Choose connect

5. YOU ARE NOW CONNECTED TO THE SHARED PRINTER ON PC1, You can connect back the physical printer  on Pc1 and enjoy the network print share.

IT WORKS!,

HP or MS ????

• Proposed as answer by Mr O-Gabs Thursday, September 13, 2012 3:05 PM
    Thursday, September 13, 2012 3:05 PM
  • I really can't believe that I had to do this but it worked perfectly on installing the inf file on my print server, Windows7 (x64) for my canon ip2600.

Thanks Krabotnik.

Friday, October 05, 2012 9:52 AM
  • Hi mdparkhill,

I'm still having problems with my RX620. I've got it working ok on the 64bit machine with printer connected. Understand the need to have 32 bit driver installed for 32 bit machines to access on the network. Also file names to be identical.

The big problem is where do I find the driver file to rename it? I can't find any .inf files, Epson folder , Epson download??  perhaps you could point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 9:45 AM
  • Found the file eventually and edited it. Works a treat.

Thanks for the help

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 9:15 PM
  • I have windows 7 64 bit with a canon ip3600 installed and wanted to share it to an XP SP3 machine.  I copied the windows driver CD (the main folder) for XP to the windows 7 machine and then edited the ini file found inside win2000 and x86 etc.  The windows 7 machine said (in its properties) the printer was a "canon inkjet ip3600 series" where the ini file said it was a canon ip3600 series.  I replaced every occurrence of canon ip3600 series with canon inkjet ip3600 series (using notepad), saved it and then added additional drivers by pointing at the ini file I had just modified.  All worked well and when I connected the XP machine and said install, it did it seamlessly.  Thanks

• Edited by ainchley Monday, October 21, 2013 5:30 AM
    Monday, October 21, 2013 5:29 AM