none
Windows setup could not configure windows to run on this computer's hardware.

Question

• I have a new Laptop I want to image from the server, Dell E6420 with OS windows 7 x64. I was almost through with the setup image, on the last stage 'completing the installation" when I got the error message "windows setup could not configure windows to run on this computer's hardware." I was mad and  now it cannot boot to anywhere, any attempt to boot the laptop will give me error message " windows could not complete the installation. To install windows on this computer, restart the installation." I am box at this point.

I need solution please.

• Edited by NwaGod Wednesday, January 11, 2012 5:01 PM
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 5:00 PM

All replies

• Have you tried to reapply your image?  if not, give that a shot as it sounds like it could be a fluke.  I looked up the basic laptop model you mentioned and it is capable of handling Windows 7, so it could just be a fluke.  have you tried to apply this image to other machines on your network?

Hope that helps!

Wednesday, January 11, 2012 5:25 PM
  • Hi,

To help resolve this issue and install Windows 7, follow these steps. Method 1 is preferred. If you cannot complete method 1, try method 2.

Method 1: Download the appropriate drivers for your hard disk drive
    Download and install the latest drivers for your Windows 7-based or Windows Server 2008 R2-based computer. To do this by using another computer, visit the following Intel website and download the appropriate drivers for your hard disk drive (either 32-bit or 64-bit) to a flash drive. Or, burn the drivers onto a CD or DVD. The flash drive or the disc will then be used during setup of Windows 7 or of Windows Server 2008 R2.

http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/sb/CS-031502.htm

Method 2: Change the BIOS hard disk drive setting to AHCI or IDE
    Warning
    This procedure may involve changing your hard disk drive settings in the BIOS. Incorrect changes to the BIOS of your computer can result in serious problems. Microsoft cannot guarantee that problems that result from changes to the BIOS can be resolved. Change the BIOS settings at your own risk. Incorrect or corrupted BIOS settings can cause startup problems or shutdown problems.

You can change the hard disk drive setting in the BIOS to AHCI or to IDE if the hard disk drive setting is currently set to a RAID configuration. If you set the hard disk drive to AHCI or to IDE, you do not have to install the driver that you obtained in method 1.

Microsoft cannot provide specific instructions for how to change the BIOS settings because they are specific to your computer. For information about the correct BIOS settings for your computer and how to check and change these settings, see your computer documentation, or contact the manufacturer of your computer.

Please refer:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2466753

Hope that helps

William Tan

TechNet Community Support

Monday, January 16, 2012 5:30 AM
  • Obujuwami, I have done this up to four times it keep giving this error. It do not give me error on other desktop computer but mostly on Laptops.

• Edited by NwaGod Monday, January 16, 2012 3:41 PM
    Monday, January 16, 2012 1:08 PM
  • zhen I have tried to change the BIOS settings to AHCI and it imaged but after that it keep rebooting and shuting down non stop.

Monday, January 16, 2012 1:10 PM
  • I have the same problem with my Alienware Aurora class desktop.  It works with a single drive with AHCI turned on, but does not finish installing when set as a raid.  When I change the bios it only sees two drives, not the array I created.  I'm tryin to run a raid 10, been trying for two days with prob 30 manual clean installs, no go.  Please contact me if you get a answer that works. (Dell wants me to give the 190 bucks fo rthem to give me an answer, since its out of warrenty,  ooo and anothe 400 bucks to extend the warrenty)! 
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 2:44 AM
  • Hey,

I saw this on another forum and it worked for me:
    At "windows setup cannot configure windows for this hardware"
    Shift F10
    Type -
    Cd c:\windows\system32\oobe
    Msoobe
    This should force it to finalize and create computer name, password, time, etc.

Tuesday, February 04, 2014 1:15 PM
  • What method are you using to image? You say from server, so I'm guessing probably SCCM?

If so, are you able to confirm the machines drivers are supported in the system, and are other machines of the same model getting this error?
    Tuesday, February 04, 2014 1:31 PM