none
Vista: Windows Update Error - Code 8024402F

Question

• Hello,

I am having trouble updating windows after a recent reinstall of Vista (changed from 64bit to 32bit). It remains on 'Checking for Updates' for about 10 minutes and then i get this error:

Windows could not search for new updates
    Error(s) found:
    Code 8024402F Windows Update encountered an unknown error

What could the problem be? I've formatted and reinstalled Vista twice and the error remains despite my internet working fine.
    Has this anything to do with changing from 64bit to 32bit - should i only entitled to download updates for the 64bit version?

Vista Home Premium Retail is the version i have, any help would be much appreciated.

Cheer!
    Thursday, November 20, 2008 2:19 AM

All replies

• Hi

See the following article. It contains several troubleshooting procedures for determining where this behavior is coming from. Carefully go through each step.

You may encounter temporary connection-related errors when you use Windows Update or Microsoft Update to install updates:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836941

Let us know the results.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
    Thursday, November 20, 2008 4:22 AM
  • Um, the article suggested does not mention Vista. The proxycfg tool is not available with Vista.

I have exactly the same problem as the original poster, and it's giving us some pain. Most of our pooters will not update.

We are behind a 'corporate firewall' and have to authenticate on the proxy server to get out. Any relevant advice would be appreciated.

rgds
    Jim.
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 1:08 AM