none
Windows 7 64-bit with 32-bit XP Mode?

Question

• Hello,

I have an application that requires the addition of a 32-bit service. I am running Windows 7 Beta, and I can install RC and XP Mode, since my hardware supports virtualization.

Now, is it possible to install 32-bit XP Mode in Windows 7 64-bit? I need 32-bit XP Mode in order for the application to successfully install and run virtualized, since it fails installing on 64-bit OS's (tried XP x64, Vista x64 and Windows 7 x64, all fail).

Thank you
    Thursday, May 07, 2009 12:42 PM

Answers

All replies

• Even if you install 64bit VPC and XP Mode the guest Windows XP is always a 32bit version.
    Thursday, May 07, 2009 12:52 PM
  • Yes  you can. In 64 bit Win7, you will install Windows Virtual PC and  then XP mode. The XP mode installer is comes in two flavours - 32 bit (X86) and 64 bit (X64) BUT both install 32 bit XP VM. 64 bit VMs are not yet supported.
    Thursday, May 07, 2009 12:57 PM
  • The thing that has stopped the move to Vista-64, and now the move to W7-64, is that I need XP64 compatibility for some CAD software that I won't be able to upgrade until my Customers upgrade their CAD software.  As we need to start a hardware upgrade, it is going to become increasingly difficult to get XP64 support and drivers.  The compatibility that XP mode offers wold be a great answer.  When will a 64-bit VM be supported/released?
    Friday, September 11, 2009 10:51 PM
  • From Microsoft?  No announcements have been made on an x64 capable client solution, Hyper-V is the only VM software from MS that will run x64.
    VMWare and Sun VirtualBox offer x64 client VM software now.
    Friday, September 11, 2009 11:19 PM
  • Then they are going to lose out to VMware as their virtual environment does support 64-bit VMs.  I was hoping that MS was more on the ball and in tune with the needs of their business clients.  I thought it was a reasonable assumption that, if I had chosen to utilize a 64bit OS for its obvious perks in the past, and that they offer a compatibility option like XP mode to run on the new 64 bit Win7, that it would be able to give me compatibility back to a 64-bit version of XP.  They do offer Hyper-V for 2008 server.  It does support 64-bit VMs, but they don't appear to be allowing that to install on W7 either.
    Saturday, September 12, 2009 1:08 AM
  • Varinder,

Where can I get the XP mode installer OR how can I install Windows Virtual PC and then XP mode?  I'm searching and searching and I cannot find the patches.  I am trying to install a program that will not install OR run on the Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. 

I need to install and use this program.  Any advice please?

Wednesday, November 03, 2010 2:19 AM
  • XP Mode isn't available for Home Premium, only Pro and higher are licensed for XP Mode.

Yo can use your own XP license with Virtual PC however.  You can download Virtual PC here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=2b6d5c18-1441-47ea-8309-2545b08e11dd&displaylang=en

Wednesday, November 03, 2010 2:37 AM
  •  I am trying to install a program that will not install OR run on the Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. 

I need to install and use this program. 

YOu can install the new Virtual PC (KB958559) under Windows 7 Home Premium, too. Next create a VM with your old XP CD to build your own XP Mode.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Wednesday, November 03, 2010 11:32 AM
  • Windows XP 64 bit doesn't have Service Pack 3... It ended at Service Pack 2... And Windows XP Mode is Service Pack 3
    • Proposed as answer by neildevera Thursday, December 23, 2010 2:43 AM
    Thursday, December 23, 2010 2:33 AM
  • what an useless reply *thumbs down* Have you read the question?

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Thursday, December 23, 2010 3:01 PM
  • This is the closest answer I have so far found to my own problem.

I have a new laptop running on Windows 7 (64 bit) Home Premium.

My old desktop runns on Windows XP. It came to me already loaded so I do not have the original CD.

I want to use a program written for 32 bit (there  is not yet a 64 bit version) so would like to follow thw advice you gave above and instal a new Virtual PC (KB958559) but do not have the CD to build my own XP mode.

Can you suggest a solution?

Thank you

Thursday, January 06, 2011 12:43 PM
  • I want to use a program written for 32 bit (there  is not yet a 64 bit version) so would like to follow thw advice you gave above and instal a new Virtual PC (KB958559) but do not have the CD to build my own XP mode.

Can you suggest a solution?

Thank you

buy the Anytime upgrade to at least Windows 7 Professional to use the pre- configured XP Mode from Microsoft.

Thursday, January 06, 2011 1:28 PM
  • My answer to the original question was to buy some Apple platforms and install Parallels in the MAC OS.  Where I needed the extra performance I installed SUN's VirtualBox on some Win7 64bit machines.  I would have preferred a cleaner MS answer, but...

The truth in truth is a terrible jest. --Blitzen Trapper
    Monday, April 04, 2011 6:16 PM