none
No Audio Output device is installed after installed Windows 7

Question

• I have a Gateway M280E that I partitioned to dual-boot Windows 7 and XP, both 32bit.  The XP portion works perfectly but I cannot get W7 to install the sound driver.  I have tried downloading the driver from Gateways site, I've tried getting it to install from Windows Update and they both say that the install failed. I've even uninstalled the driver and reset the computer to let Windows rebuild the stack and autoinstall the driver and it fails.  At least when I install a Realtek driver it shows the Sound, Videos, and Game Controllers catagory but when I tried to update the driver to the onboard Conexant it always fails.  This has been kicking my butt for over a week now. If I could get an Advanced tip, maybe something to look at in the registry, I'd appreciate it.
    Monday, June 06, 2011 12:59 PM

Answers

• This is an example of what happens if you don't do your homework before trying to install Windows 7 on any hardware.  Your sole source for hardware drivers and software utilities is Gateway.  Without the proper Windows 7 drivers and software utilities you will never have full functionality of your system.  Providing those drivers and software utilities is the sole responsibility of Gateway, not Microsoft.  Microsoft does not write any drivers or software utilities for third party hardware.

The Gateway downloads are @ http://support.gateway.com/us/en/product/default.aspx?partNumber=2900824 but it looks like Gateway has not posted any Windows 7 drivers or software for your system.  You can try the Vista drivers and software, using the Compatibility mode if necessary, but if they don't work, there is nothing Microsoft or Windows 7 can do to correct the deficiencies!

You need to contact Gateway Technical Support for assistance - they are your source for this situation.

This is no a Microsoft or Windows 7 problem.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Monday, June 06, 2011 5:39 PM