none
Microsoft USB Sidewinder Force Feedback Wheel driver issue

Question

• Force Feedback loses some effects with default driver supplied with vista ultimate 32bit after roughly 2+ effects are applied at once. (it happens in multiple racing games)  I have noticed that it shows steer Left/Right and accelerate as X/Y axis but brake is listed as Z axis.  Shouldn't force feedback be tagged as Z axis?  I have tested the controller with xp and the same games and the controller works fine with the default xp driver.  Sidewinder software wont install on vista so i can't load any different drivers to check if this is the issue.  Note: In the default xp driver it lists left/right/brake/accel. as x/y and z as feedback.  Any ideas?

Monday, October 29, 2007 5:42 AM

Answers

All replies

•  

Hello Tracker,

According to your post, you are now using Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback Wheel mouse. This device has no driver for Windows Vista provided by Microsoft. Therefore, some functions may miss, very possibly including the problems you encountered.

For more information about compatibility, please refer to the following site:

http://winqual.microsoft.com/HCL/ProductDetails.aspx?m=v&g=d&cid=&sv=sidewinder&f=&pn=Microsoft%20SideWinder%20Force%20Feedback%20Wheel&oid=33

For better experience in games, I personally suggest you to upgrade the game device, for example, Microsoft SideWinder Mouse.

For more information about this product, please refer to the following site:

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/gaming/productdetails.aspx?pid=100

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Tuesday, October 30, 2007 10:02 AM
  • it's not a mouse,  it's a steering wheel. 

Wednesday, October 31, 2007 4:52 AM
  • Hello Tracker,

Sorry for my misunderstanding, I’m not very with familiar SideWinder series hardware.

However, the website I mentioned is right for the device. Therefore, Microsoft hasn’t provided its driver for Windows Vista, which is also true.

For more information about compatibility, please refer to the following site:

http://winqual.microsoft.com/HCL/ProductDetails.aspx?m=v&g=d&cid=&sv=sidewinder&f=&pn=Microsoft%20SideWinder%20Force%20Feedback%20Wheel&oid=33

Thank you for correction.

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Thursday, November 01, 2007 10:18 AM
  • Hi,

Is there a way to use the old Microsoft Sidewinder steering wheel (with force feedback) under Windows XP?

I installed my old Soundblaster in order to have a game port. The Soundblaster is recognized and the audio is ok but the game port is not recognized by the system. When I try to install the Sidewinder (control/config panel & add game controller), the system's answer is that the "game port driver is missing".

Is it possible to have the missing game port driver? 

Thank you, bests regards

path133

Sunday, December 23, 2007 2:36 PM
  • Lionel, what you have shown is that Microsoft have not put a driver for the Microsoft USB Sidewinder Force Feedback Wheel in Vista ......is there going to be one ? I tried to get my wheel to run on Vista and found the same problems as Tracker ie the Y axis is not split and the accellerator pedal shows on the Z axis. I was intending to make it work on Colin Mcrae rally 2005 as it did OK with XP but, surely, Microsoft can put a driver into Vista for one of its own products.That wheel has taken a lot of battering and I am not going to throw it away because it doesn't work on VISTA. As a 54 year old gamer , the thought of driving a car using a wheel mouse made me laugh.

Saturday, February 16, 2008 4:56 PM
  •  

Hi Marfly,

Did you allready find out how to get the steeringwheel working in Vista??

I'm having the same problem and will not throw a perfectly good working machine away..

Hopefully you can help me calibrating and installing my apparatus in Visat 32!

Cheers

Dwight

Sunday, September 14, 2008 10:44 PM
  • No, unfortunately.......I have looked for a driver all over the web for VISTA , thought this would be a simple job for Microsoft and thought one of their employees would read this. Alas.......... so I use an older computer that still has XP on it and it runs fine but overheats from its efforts after a couple of hours, and crashes. Someone said try running the game in XP mode while using vista, but I have not tried that as it is easier to use the other machine.Here in the UK there is not a decent wheel for under £70 about the price of XP or VISTA OEM so dual boot would be cheaper. 

Monday, September 15, 2008 6:39 PM
  • i have same problem.....i love my wheel,but do i need change back from vista to xp ???

PLEASE someone....how hard is make .inf-file for this wheel?
    Wednesday, November 12, 2008 10:06 PM
  • hi!!

I have the same problem.
    I bought my  SideWinder Force Feedback Wheel  some years ago.
    In the last summer i need to buy a new pc and it comes only with vista.
    When a connect my wheel, it didn't work....

So, what can i do with my  Microsoft SideWinder Force Feedback Wheel???
    I call for Microsoft Portugal, and they said that haven't more support for this product.
    I'm thinking to process Microsoft Portugal, because i can't use their hardware with their sorftware!!

There hare someone with a solution for this fu***** microsoft problem?
    Monday, December 22, 2008 3:41 PM
  • Same problem here with the Sidewinder FF wheel (usb).
    Under XP the two pedals are combined and become one axis.

The behaviour of the wheel is different under Vista x64:
    the pedals are two seperate axis and there are no tools to change that.

Unfortunately the pedals become useless in FlightSimulators since you cannot use them as rudder-pedals. Also certain race games require "Combined Axis".

Microsoft please change this, give us an option in control panel to enable/disable combined axis for the wheel-pedals.

I have the Sindewinder FF 2 joystick and the FF wheel. Both fantastic products! Now I keep using xp for everything, not using Vista at all, I don't like to reboot everytime I need my pedals!

• Edited by DirkMich Sunday, April 26, 2009 4:29 PM
    Sunday, April 26, 2009 4:27 PM
  • Hello,

I have Win XP Pro,  and the Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feed Back Wheel, (USB)  and mine works just fine...   the driver/software i use is
    sidewinder FFB wheel drivers 4.0...(sidewinder_force_feedback_wheel_drivers_4.0)        i can make the pedels combined or separate.....

try to find this version of it :)

Zarni

PS  i hope everyone sees this, as im not sure how to do a 'reply all'  here :P
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 7:13 AM
  • Hello,

I have Win XP Pro,  and the Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feed Back Wheel, (USB)  and mine works just fine...   the driver/software i use is
    sidewinder FFB wheel drivers 4.0...(sidewinder_force_feedback_wheel_drivers_4.0)        i can make the pedels combined or separate.....

try to find this version of it :)

Zarni

PS  i hope everyone sees this, as im not sure how to do a 'reply all'  here :P

Yes, it works under XP. The problem is vista (x64) which has a different driver without the option to combine the axis.
    And... using XP-drivers in Vista simply won't work at all.

I think for Microsoft it's old stuff not worth any effort any more. But this wheel is of high quality and I refuse to buy another because of this. So let's keep XP for the next 10 years :-(

• Proposed as answer by anderoii Friday, September 18, 2009 6:36 AM
    Monday, July 20, 2009 3:00 PM
  • Yeah, I've supported Microsoft over the years against the haters, but while I'm not a hater yet, I won't speak up for these guys again.  I have this wheel, and I bought the xbox 360 wheel a year ago, and they had vague promises on there that they would release drivers down the road for PC for the 360 wheel to enable force feedback(its not) and I hoped dual axis for the pedals.  Nothing so far.  Just like windows ultimate, they've got your money on promises that they never intended to keep, or maybe did, but whoever intended to left the company and MS could care less what you want.  Screw em.  I won't be upgrading to 7 and I'm through buying their stuff.  Its long past time where you have to buy MS stuff to use the computer effeciently.  Vista should last me for some time now.
    Saturday, August 01, 2009 12:45 AM
  • Same problem over here.
    I want drive cars usinf a steering wheel, not a silly mouse...
    Anyone any solution?
    XP professional user
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 8:10 PM
  • HI, could you send me your drivers (sidewinder_force_feedback_wheel_drivers_4.0)to me? my email:wxquan@hotmail.com
    i lost my drivers.
    thanks.
    • Proposed as answer by CAT01 Friday, September 18, 2009 4:29 PM
    Friday, September 18, 2009 6:38 AM
  • Thanks Microsoft now with the help your incompetible(!) hardware support system i can never play with my lovely sidewinder force feedback wheel anymore in my 64 bit Windows 7 system.
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 10:08 AM
  • Good news!  I just installed my m$ wheel on Windows 7 64 and it works perfectly. Plug n play, too.  Force feedback is working in SHIFT just fine. 

Cheers
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 12:40 AM
  • Same problem under Windows 7:

The two pedals have seperate axis which cannot be combined.

These pedals are useless in flight simulators where the combined axis control the rudder :-(  

Why is it so difficult to keep the functionality that was present in Windows XP ?????
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 8:44 AM
  • Good news!  I just installed my m$ wheel on Windows 7 64 and it works perfectly. Plug n play, too.  Force feedback is working in SHIFT just fine. 

Cheers
    what drivers are u guys using on W7 ? and how did u installed them ?

i have a Microsoft Sidewinder ForceFeedback Wheel connected via USB and W7 does not detect any kind of device/joystick/wheel/etc

it should at least be on the device manager with a yellow "?" or "!" so we could select it and install the drivers for it, right ?

usually when we plugg something via USB , windows pops a window , or an icon on the system tray, but with this wheel nothing happens
    Saturday, November 07, 2009 3:21 PM
  • Same problem under Windows 7:

The two pedals have seperate axis which cannot be combined.

These pedals are useless in flight simulators where the combined axis control the rudder :-(  

Why is it so difficult to keep the functionality that was present in Windows XP ?????

what drivers are u guys using on W7 ? and how did u installed them ?

i have a Microsoft Sidewinder ForceFeedback Wheel connected via USB and W7 does not detect any kind of device/joystick/wheel/etc

it should at least be on the device manager with a yellow "?" or "!" so we could select it and install the drivers for it, right ?

usually when we plugg something via USB , windows pops a window , or an icon on the system tray, but with this wheel nothing happens
    Saturday, November 07, 2009 3:22 PM
  • I had the same issue when I decided to use it again with my son to play Formula 1 Racing.
    Some said it works under Windows7, but were not clear if the pedals work fine and if they used any specific driver.
    So after reading lots on websites about this issue I realized that I had to use it on XP or find another solution.

XP was not an option since I run Windows 7 for a while now and have good experience with that.
    Dual boot would have been an option as well but it's sort of a pain in the butt to switch over all the time.

So what I did was this.
    I opened the pedals and fould two simple potentiometers.
    I cut the red wire.
    Then I made parallel wires between the two potentiometers (since the are facing to one another the outside pins are crossed)

First important thing is that the break pedal needs to be pressed before and while the USB cable is plugged in, the unit seems to calibrate itself also and it needs this.
    Not a big issue, just something that needs to be done every time.

When testing it after the calibration procedure in Windows 7 it showed the marker right in the middle, pressing accelerate would movie it up, pressing breaks would move it down.
    I tested it with F1 Racing after I did the calibration procedure in this game as well, and it worked pretty good.

Anyway, works great here, it might be a solution for any of you as well.

Cheers,
    Rambler.
    Friday, January 08, 2010 8:26 PM
  • Thanks Rambler for that option, it sounds easy enough, my only problem is with the parallel wiring part: which pin did you tie up together?

Right now I have this:

3  ------- green -------- 1

2 -- yellow        red -- 2

1 -------- black -------- 3

when looking at the pots still in place.

Do you just tie up Red and Yellow together while removing Red's output?
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 1:42 PM
  • Alright, nevermind, I found a software way of doing the same, using GlovePie and PPJoy, thanks to the new x64 beta.
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 3:58 PM
  • lionel chen  i'm confused . so are you saying microsoft force feed back steering wheel 4.0 ver 1.1 will work on vista or not?
    Monday, February 15, 2010 7:32 PM

Cheers

HOW????

is it best to use GlovePie and PPJoy?

Thanks,

Thursday, June 17, 2010 4:08 PM
  • Another problem reported by TrackIr users: software from NaturalPoint is incompatibel with Force-Feedback on Sidewinder FFB2 Joystick (wheel?) under Windows7-64bit.

Link: http://forum.naturalpoint.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=39635

The stutters when using TrackIr+FFB are a nightmare when playing games.

Microsoft please develop drivers to support your own hardware on your own Windows platforms (32-64bit). The standard drivers, included in Windows, work but:

1) No possibility to combine the pedal axis of the FFB wheel ( it worked in xp)

2) Force Feedback not compatible with TrackIr device driver on x64-bit Windows

3) ... other hardware malfunctioning ?

Friday, July 23, 2010 2:58 PM
  • Having seen these comments I will steer clear (pun intended!) of Microsoft peripherals in the future. Microsoft's man isnt even repsonding to posts now and purchasers have been left to sort it out for themselves . Hardly very eco-friendly to tell people to upgrade their kit when some small software changes would make it perfectly usable.
    Friday, November 05, 2010 6:03 PM
  • Hi,

is someone able to explain how to set up PPJoy and GlovePie with the sidewinder FF wheel in detail?
    Sorry, i´m a total noob with using PPJoy and GlovePie and the wheel is too good to throw away just because we are using Win7 64bit.

Otherwise the parallel wiring part is an option, but which pins are tied together?

Friday, November 05, 2010 6:26 PM
  • Hi,

I was both surprised and delighted to find that my Sidewinder USB Force Feedback Wheel works PERFECTLY with Codemasters F1 2010 under Windows 7 64bit. I didn't need to install any drivers; I just plugged in the wheel's power supply and the wheel into the USB port.

The wheel shows up under Control Panel > Devices and Printers (amusingly, under Properties, the Manufacturer's name is 'unavailable'!!!) The hardware shows up as both an 'HID-compliant game controller' and a 'USB Input Device'

There is still no option to combine the Y axis for the pedals, however this is not an issue with F1 2010, as the game will happily detect the two separate axes. Force feedback works absolutely fine, too, with no apparent loss of functionality.

The only thing I had to do was customise the controller profile in the game a bit to change the barking-mad preset keyboard keys for the quick-menu (1=up,2=right,3=down,4=left just defies logic!!!!!) I have remapped it to the cursor keys instead. All the predefined wheel button functions, gear change paddles,etc work absolutely fine. I also increased the steering dead zone a little to prevent any force-feedback-induced wobbling on the straights.

I had all but given up on ever being able to use my beloved wheel again without my trusty XP, but it appears that modern games are designed to work with separate axes for the pedals, so I'm happy again - I'll just have to use my old XP machine if I want to play an older game that relies on a combined Y axis, but as time passes, I feel less inclined to play those old games anyway.

Thursday, November 25, 2010 9:48 PM
  • Here is the official Microsoft answer:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/Details.aspx?type=Hardware&p=Microsoft%20SideWinder%20Force%20Feedback%20Wheel%20Game%20Controller&v=Microsoft&uid=A16-00041&pf=0&pi=8&s=Avb%20Top%20shot%20force%20feedback%20joystick&os=32-bit

NOT COMPATIBLE !

But the drivers are included in Win-7 and are ok for race games but not for flightsims where combined-axis are needed.

And what about the poor-man's answer:

"The device manufacturer stated this product is not compatible."

This is a shame for Microsoft: if they don't take responsibility for their own products they should not put the Microsoft logo in big characters on the device!

A logical reaction would be to ask the source code from 'the device manifacturer' and update it. After all, making sofware is their business isn't it ?

Friday, December 24, 2010 9:09 AM
  • hi there please tell me what driver/software you installed. many thanks raymond

Tuesday, December 28, 2010 10:42 AM
  • hi there please tell me what driver/software you installed. many thanks raymond

No drivers to install in vista/win-7.

In fact that's the problem: only a standard driver with standard axis-management is available.

Wednesday, December 29, 2010 10:55 AM
  • Hi All,

Me and a friend of mine run an online gaming community and love our racing games, and quite a few of us own the Sidewinder Force Feedback Wheel including myself, we have all trawled the net for a solution to this issue since the release of Windows 7 but unfortunately there is no solution, Microsofts answer to this is 'buy a new wheel' which me and my friends are not going to do, we love our original ones !

The solution I used to combat this problem (and I have also done this with a couple of my friends pc's) is to make your pc a 'dual boot' system with windows xp and windows 7 or vista, that way you can boot into xp for all your racing games or windows 7 for everything else, unfortunately you will not get all the enhancements of windows 7 and direct x 11, but hey you will still be able to use your wheel :-)

I just thought I would pass this on to you incase its something that you hadn't thought of,

I hope this is of some help to you all ;-)

Thanks,

Joe

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 9:43 PM
  • Hi All,

Me and a friend of mine run an online gaming community and love our racing games, and quite a few of us own the Sidewinder Force Feedback Wheel including myself, we have all trawled the net for a solution to this issue since the release of Windows 7 but unfortunately there is no solution, Microsofts answer to this is 'buy a new wheel' which me and my friends are not going to do, we love our original ones !

The solution I used to combat this problem (and I have also done this with a couple of my friends pc's) is to make your pc a 'dual boot' system with windows xp and windows 7 or vista, that way you can boot into xp for all your racing games or windows 7 for everything else, unfortunately you will not get all the enhancements of windows 7 and direct x 11, but hey you will still be able to use your wheel :-)

I just thought I would pass this on to you incase its something that you hadn't thought of,

I hope this is of some help to you all ;-)

Thanks,

Joe

Hi Joe,

Glad to hear I am not alone with this problem.

Dual boot is a bypass, not a solution. I am using it too, stuck with XP because MS refuses to write an usb driver for their own wheel.

Just read MS also drops support for another device: the KIN handset http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=20802

Dirk.

Thursday, February 03, 2011 8:47 AM
  • My wheel is working fine in windows 7 but the problem im having is with the software. There doesnt appear to be any way to turn off the force feedback on the wheel as standard. In other words, you can turn off FF within the game but the wheel has force applied to it, as if the return to centre setting is turned up high within the software in earlier versions of windows (i.e. XP!). Does anyone know how to turn this off/down?
    Monday, February 28, 2011 8:35 PM
  • EDIT: I managed to install the software using compatibility mode, but when i select the wheel then click properties (to get into the sidewinder software itself) it doesnt want to know. Any ideas...?
    Monday, February 28, 2011 10:27 PM
  • Just to let everyone know, Race 07 GTR evolution is almost unplayable on win7 because of the lost effects. The game was just fine on XP. I'm so disappointed after finally upgrading my XP to 7. I even paid for that update. What a sucker I must be. If only my games and other stuff worked on Mac or some other platform, I would switch immediately and never look back.

It's not that they cannot port the XP drivers with reasonable amount of work. It's about product life cycle management. They want you to buy new versions of their hardware. (Ultimately, this is the same reason why you don't get DX11, IE9, and whatever to your XP.) So they make sure that the drivers work, only with mediocre performance. This way they can add another device to their precious list of (unofficially) supported hardware and brag how just about every piece of PC HW ever made just works. But with the sub-par performance, you get the message that maybe you need to upgrade your HW. Even if the HW is just fine, as is the case here, only a bit old.

After so many wasted hours, I'm tired fighting. So I just gave up and put an order to a new wheel. I'm willing to take my chances with Logitech.

Monday, March 14, 2011 8:57 PM
  • Just to let everyone know, Race 07 GTR evolution is almost unplayable on win7 because of the lost effects. The game was just fine on XP. I'm so disappointed after finally upgrading my XP to 7. I even paid for that update. What a sucker I must be. If only my games and other stuff worked on Mac or some other platform, I would switch immediately and never look back.

It's not that they cannot port the XP drivers with reasonable amount of work. It's about product life cycle management. They want you to buy new versions of their hardware. (Ultimately, this is the same reason why you don't get DX11, IE9, and whatever to your XP.) So they make sure that the drivers work, only with mediocre performance. This way they can add another device to their precious list of (unofficially) supported hardware and brag how just about every piece of PC HW ever made just works. But with the sub-par performance, you get the message that maybe you need to upgrade your HW. Even if the HW is just fine, as is the case here, only a bit old.

After so many wasted hours, I'm tired fighting. So I just gave up and put an order to a new wheel. I'm willing to take my chances with Logitech.

I fully agree but I refuse to replace good working hardware with other good working hardware. I only need pedals for flightsims but my son uses the wheel for racing.

... and who wants two sets of pedals under his desk ????

Today, there are some interesting new flightsims A-10 Warthog, Cliffs of Dover, ...  I don't like to install those new games on XP (DX-9, disk full,...) but the pedal-problem forces me to do what I don't like.

Anyway, for the moment I don't buy new games and I don't buy any new hardware, ..., and I will buy nothing from Microsoft any more. 

Thursday, March 17, 2011 3:49 PM
  • This is what I think about win 7 - 64 bit. Its BullShit OS made by a Bull Shit Company.

I can;t use any of my old Xp Hard ware devices in win 7 . no gam e controllers are supported. even MS word 2004 doesn't work in win 7.

Good Job you lame Screw balls at Microsoft. why not hold a gun up to my head when you rob me.

not to mention a SSD 80 gig drive..  windows 7 uses more hard erive space than any OS ever. Microsoft knew this when they made it.. give me a break .. They can make Adroids with OS that us less space and work tons of apps.. byt not windows 7  its a dog..

DO NOT BUY A WINDOW 7. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY.

Microsoft does nto suport what they sell.

I am a professional graphic designer. I have run and operated many different systems in my 27 years of working as a graphic designer and in my opinion; win 7 - 64 bit is a pig.  It uses tons of space that no one in Microsoft can seem to give a straight answer too,  why they made it that way your guess is as good as mine.. the best answer they have is hard drives are cheap just buiy another HDD.. let me tell you a 60 gig SSD drive is not cheap in my book. At $180 a pop, unless your Bill Gates.

I currently have a desk top Intel i7- 980 extreme, with 12 gigs of ram and a 2 gig GTX Nvida graphic card. Running windows 7 professional 64 bit

I set it up to have a 55 gig corsair SSD 20x gig speed drive especially dedicated just for the OS. 

I have a 1TB HDD drive for my program’s such as Adobe creative suite CS4 & CS5  and my 3D animation programs. Like Daz and 3D max and poser I use for rendering movie animation, along with a few other programs.. I also have a 2 TB HDD drive for storage for my business & graphic design files etc. which I also had to use also now for my system back up. Because I had to disable the system restore in the OS because it was taking up to much space... which I feel is not a good thing to do but I had to have the space.

I got this computer January 27 2011 to replace my XP pro 64 bit and as of today Feb 26 2011 My SSD drive is completely full.. Mind you I have nothing on it but OS system on it..

Now before I installed anything on my new system when I got it.  I shut off the system restore and the hibernating features page-fiiling and indexing all the other features I would not use.  I over clocked the system by 10% to give me a extra boost during long renders

Now today feb 26 2011 windows went to update today and couldn’t because my SSD drive is completely full.  GUESS WHAT?  I don’t care. I refuse to let windows use any other of my other drives and I’m not buying anymore for the OS.

Hard drives to me are not cheap, and plus I have 3 hard drive now so why do I need more just for a pig of an operating system which should only use a ¼ of the 55 gig drive its on now.  I am very very disappointed with Windows 7 64 bit. And I will not recommend it to any of my clients. Because Microsoft doesn’t seem to really care about addressing issues with this fat pig of a system eating up a lot of space.  In Double files and double file naming.  Not to mention the x986) program file for win 32 programs.  And a lot of software companies are not supporting win7 64 bit.

. So I refuse to let windows use any of my other drive for their OS . I think 55 gig is way more than enough.  So if any of you want a screaming machine at this point that you will need to buy hard drives about every month for to satisfy the operating system.  I will gladly sell you my computer for $2800  that is $300 less than I paid for it to be built. so I can get  a different machine and operating system

I'm going to post on ever MS forum I can find what a bunch of shit head Microsoft is for developing this program then not support the hardware or the drivers needed for

the products they sell

Again DO NOT BUY A MICROSOFT WINDOWS 64 BIT SYSTEM YOU WEILL REGRETT IT

Saturday, April 23, 2011 1:01 AM
  • Cut red wire, leave app 3cm loose wire to pin 2, connect this to pin 2 (yellow)

Cut green wire between 3 ---1, cut as close pin 3 as possible. Connect loose end of this wire to pin 1

Cut black wire between 1---3, cut as close pin 1 as possible. Connect loose end of this wire to pin 3

So, connection after mod should be as follows

<-------- 3  ------- green -------- 3

<-------- 2 – yellow-------red -- 2

<-------- 1 -------- black -------- 1

Remember to press brake before and while connecting USB cable.

You Richmond guys, you DON'T get my money for new wheels, never again, next one is something else.

Works fine as combined axis.

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 9:29 PM
  • Cut red wire, leave app 3cm loose wire to pin 2, connect this to pin 2 (yellow)

Cut green wire between 3 ---1, cut as close pin 3 as possible. Connect loose end of this wire to pin 1

Cut black wire between 1---3, cut as close pin 1 as possible. Connect loose end of this wire to pin 3

So, connection after mod should be as follows

<-------- 3  ------- green -------- 3

<-------- 2 – yellow-------red -- 2

<-------- 1 -------- black -------- 1

Remember to press brake before and while connecting USB cable.

You Richmond guys, you DON'T get my money for new wheels, never again, next one is something else.

Works fine as combined axis.

This can be a bypass for flightsim-only but certainly not a definitive solution. I understand you have to plugin the usb cable after every boot to calibrate the pedals, but what's worse: you cann't switch back to split axis for e.g. race games.

I tried some axis-to-keyboard mapping tools but they are worthless in flightsims because there is no sensitivity in the keys.

After some googling I found the reason why MS dropped support: they have abandoned DirectInput in favor of XInput, used by the xbox 360 console! Since Vista a lot of gaming-hardware is malfunctioning: driver problems, many Force Feedback problems, no combined axis, ... 

But even when XInput is the preferred choice, MS could create a virtual x360 controller and write a mapping tool for older hardware. But they did nothing, just drop directinput-support and let people buy new controllers.  

Just like Hakamaa, I do not accept this discrimination of pc-gaming in favor of (arcade) console gaming nor the laziness of MS to write a compatibility program. I will certainly never buy an xbox other any other device from MS again.

Monday, May 02, 2011 7:50 AM
  • I have also been surprised to find the wheel and pedals working fine in Win 7 with F1 2010! I remember packing my wheel away in disgust when driver support vanished after upgrading from XP. I had just discovered my wheel in storage and was going to throw it in the trash or try and sell it and thought I'd test it. Everything worked fine even identified by name in the game controller settings. Callibration page confirmed everything was working  and the pedals do function correctly in game which was the issue I remember.  I do not own any more recent driving games and have not used the pedals in any flight sim. I will pack the wheel away again and keep it for a spare should anything fail on my Thrustmaster version. These devices are expensive and my game time no longer warrants any further investment in these controllers. I now have 2 working force feedback wheels and a Saitek R220 non force feedback fully supported in Win 7! That should see me through?  The resale value would be so small when compared to the purchase price that they will be worth keeping just for fun and nostalgia! HOWEVER MICROSOFT MUST CONTINUE TO UPDATE DRIVERS FOR THEIR OWN HARDWARE. I purchased what was really an unnecessary item to carry on driving with the Saitek, and then again when I upgraded to force feedback with the Thrustmaster. All because the Sidewinder no longer functioned correctly!

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 7:31 PM