none
Windows 7 Upgrade From Vista to RTM not progressing, stuck at 62%

Question

• I am attempting to do an In-Place upgrade of Windows 7 RTM x64 onto Vista Sp2 x64.  Everything seemed to go smoothly except that it is currently stuck at 62% on the last step.  It has been stuck there from about 5 hours now.  It goes between "Please Wait..." and "Transfering files,settings,ect.. xxxxx out of xxxxxx".  It will not progress at all though; it is stuck on a particular file.

What should I do about this?  Wait 5 more hours?  Restart the computer and pray?  Any suggestions greatfully received.

Thanks,
    Ken
    kanno41 :)
    Friday, August 07, 2009 7:01 PM

Answers

• Hello,
    Just posting at the bottom of the thread. 
    This is for the 62% hang, this is not for the 63% hang, see the next post for 63% status

Symptom

During the upgrade from Windows Vista to Windows 7, the upgrade hangs at 62% indefinitely.

Note this issue is only for hangs at the 62%,

Cause

The iphlpsvc service may be hanging during the upgrade. This is one service that has been identified as hanging at this point during setup.

Resolution

Reboot the machine, this will cause a rollback to Windows Vista.

Go to the start menu

Right-click on Computer

Choose Properties

Choose advanced system settings

Choose the Environment Variables button

Under System Variables choose New

Then enter

Variable Name: MIG_UPGRADE_IGNORE_PLUGINS

variable value: IphlpsvcMigPlugin.dll

Then Restart Setup.

This workaround only applies to the iphlpsvc service hangs

More information

This hang can be seen in the setupact.log

With the following line repeated about every 15 minutes.

<TimeStamp> Warning    [0x080b50] MIG    AsyncCallback_ApplyStatus: Progress appears to be stuck. Current progress: 62

If this entry is not occurring in the log file or you are hanging at a percentage other than 62% this workaround should not be attempted. 

Note: There can be other services that may cause this hang or this log entry.

Thanks, Darrell Gorter This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    • Proposed as answer by imasonaz Thursday, August 20, 2009 11:20 PM
    • Marked as answer by kanno41 Friday, August 21, 2009 3:37 PM
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 12:19 AM

All replies

• I'm having similar issues with an upgrade from Vista Ultimate 64 SP2.  It has been stuck in the same place described by kanno41.  When trying to cancel, I get a message saying it could potentially harm the system.  Does anyone know if shutting down now will still allow for a rollback?
    Friday, August 07, 2009 10:58 PM
  • Sadly, I think there are some issues with the RTM installer.  I did not try an upgrade (did a clean install) and the process hung with three different DVDs burned on two different machines (with different model burners and different software).  There is also nothing wrong with the DVD drives.  The only way I could get it to install was to extract the ISO to a bootable flashdrive - then it finished in 30 to 45 minutes.  I am going to try burning another DVD off a fresh download for a test re-install over the weekend.  At the moment though, I am getting the impression there is an issue with the installer that is cropping up with certain hardware.  Really not expected at all - with the exception of one occasion where I screwed up, I have never had to burn multiple DVDs to get a clean installation disk.  It has also been years that I have had an OS installation go so badly. 

Stephen

Friday, August 07, 2009 11:21 PM
  • It looks like there's progress afterall.  The installation appeared to be stuck in the same spot for about 4-5 hours but I just noticed the percentage indicator at 61% and increasing.  In my case, the number of files to be transferred is at 893,746.  I'm not sure how the upgrade works exactly, but it's currently transferring files, which leads me to believe it must have either backed them up before the upgrade or is copying them to a different folder now.  I suppose it's a good way to protect data, but it's at the cost of a multi-hour investment if the file count is high.... not going to give in to the temptation to shut down just yet.
    Saturday, August 08, 2009 12:04 AM
  • Unfortunately, there is no progress here at all.  It is still stuck at 62% and at the exact same file.

This is the second computer that I have tried to upgrade from Vista SP2.  I did an upgrade on another machine and it went flawlessly, so I know I have a good installation disk.

I'm just wondering what to do next.  Do I dare cut the power and restart?
    • Proposed as answer by Joe Rob Tuesday, January 29, 2013 5:33 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Joe Rob Tuesday, January 29, 2013 5:33 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Joe Rob Tuesday, January 29, 2013 5:33 PM
    Saturday, August 08, 2009 12:22 AM
  • I'm stuck at 62% now - if you don't mind, what file number is it currently stuck on?  Mine is at 675517. Seems odd that we have both made it no further than 62% - maybe the progress indicator has a bug. :)
    • Edited by federmonkey Saturday, August 08, 2009 3:43 AM
    Saturday, August 08, 2009 3:07 AM
  • I am stuck at 707443 of 935986.  Still 62%.
    Saturday, August 08, 2009 4:21 AM
  • Thanks, I am too.  Who knows what it's doing.  I can't really do anything productive with my system yet tonight so I'm going to leave it until tomorrow.  The upgrade was stuck earlier in the install but for only a few minutes - could be a similar issue but seems odd that anything here would take this long. And I really don't want to bail on the upgrade, especially considering the installer seems so adamant about keeping us from canceling…

On a side note, it would be nice to see the current file path.  I have no idea what file number 675,517 represents… makes me feel forced to sit back and enjoy the show instead of making sense of what’s going on – need a command line mode.

Saturday, August 08, 2009 5:13 AM
  • I took my chances and cut power to my machine - it had to restart a couple of times but it successfully rolled back to Vista without any apparent issues.
    Saturday, August 08, 2009 1:49 PM
  • awsome cause im having the same problem atm with my desktop its stuck on transferring files, settings and programs it doesnt have a % on it its just says transferring files, settings, and programs then please wait

it did a smooth install on my laptop so i used the same disk for my desktop and yer it just kinda stoped installing its been like that for about 3 hrs now
    Saturday, August 08, 2009 1:54 PM
  • Just a heads up with what I found after looking through to see what destruction may have been caused by aborting the installation of windows 7.  After rolling back to Vista Ultimate x64, I noticed a few additional files present on all of my hard drives.

Firstly, my apologies for any vagueness as I permanently deleted these files before writing any of the names down, but I think I can describe it well enough.  :)

On my particular system, a single file was written to every hard drive volume which was just a text file containing the drive letter of the volume it belonged to - I was able to delete this without issue.  The file lives at the root of each volume and contains $'s in the file name.

Where it got a little tricky was with the three folders placed on the system drive.  There are two folders with $'s in the names which can be deleted without any trouble, but there is another folder called "Boot" which was added as well.  It looks like the Win7 installer modified the boot record to point to this location so if you delete this as well, Vista won't boot anymore, but it's an easy fix.  So for anyone trying to recoup from a bad Win7 install, make sure you have your previous operating system installer handy so you can do a quick repair after deleting this folder.  In fact, this whole process took about 3 minutes - the speed of light considering the nature of our experiences.  Vista doesn't have a boot.ini file but instead can be modfied via the command line tool BCDEDIT if you want to check it out.  For some however, it may just be easier to let the installer take care of it for you.
    • Proposed as answer by mmanville1 Wednesday, November 04, 2009 4:11 PM
    Sunday, August 09, 2009 12:30 AM
  • well yer im stuck on 62% like u guys all were idk why its getting stuck on there for it might be a bug in the iso maybe

so u think it maybe just best to restart the comp and bite the bullet?

but im finding strange when we go for a 2nd install on the same disc its freezes on 62% im wondering if we also need to burn a 2nd copy of the disc and then maybe try it
    and btw the name for the file u were referring to was $UpgDrv$
    • Edited by bladedyoshi Sunday, August 09, 2009 1:55 AM
    Sunday, August 09, 2009 1:39 AM
  • I restarted and it did the rollback to Vista successfully.  I will try the upgrade later after a more thorough backup.
    Sunday, August 09, 2009 2:50 AM
  • hmm well i rolled back to vista made another copy of windows 7 onto a cd and i am currently trying to install windows 7 on my desktop again and its getting stuck on the begining of transferrig files settings and programs like it did last night i think it might not be possable to update a desktop to windows 7 atm because its getting thru everthing else fine but when it comes to the transfering its go all weird and wants to take its time like i said prior i only got to 62% on my desktop as well so there must be a certain file that it wont bypass when installing
    Sunday, August 09, 2009 3:29 AM
  • I'm another one with the stuck at 62% mark on an upgrade to RTM on a x64 desktop problem.  I had expanded the ISO to a folder on my C: drive and everything worked fine up to the 'transferring files, settings, and programs'... then it was stuck for a few hours at around 40-50% (guessing at that by how far the green progress bar at bottom was showing), the message in the dialog just alternated between the 'transferring' and 'please wait...'... no % or file count.... I left it overnight and now (10 hours later) it shows 62% and 854142 of 1130077, but appears stuck.

I did the same upgrade previously on a x64 laptop and had no problems (using the same ISO).

Hopefully someone at MS is reading these messages and can give us some suggestions (other than the do a fresh install one :) ).  I'm a developer/programmer, so fresh installs are a nightmare.
    Sunday, August 09, 2009 12:19 PM
  • Add another 64 bit upgrade from Vista 64 to the list as well. I too am stuck at 62%, the only incompatible program I remember is the google search bar and canon photo EX.  I had the same on my laptop and that installed fine. One thing of note on the laptop however, is that I need to reinstall my Norton antivirus for it to work.

Actually one difference to note is that on my PC I had Vista Ultimate and on my Laptop I had Vista Home Premium.

Abit IP35 Pro
    EVGA 8800 GT
    Intel Pro PT nic
    XFI Platinum
    4 GB Mushkin
    HD WD 640 GB
    Canon MX700

• Edited by jrouss Sunday, August 09, 2009 3:43 PM add detail
    Sunday, August 09, 2009 12:39 PM
  • I did an Upgrade from Vista SP2 Ultimate to 7 RTM Ultimate on different computer and it went perfectly.  Feeling confident, I tried to do the upgrade again on the computer I am having trouble with.  It's stuck at 62% again, but at a different number.  It doesn't appear to be hanging on the same file as last time, but I wouldn't count on that.
    Sunday, August 09, 2009 4:01 PM
  • I am trying again, I saw that my XFI drivers were not compatible. I also reburned the ISO at the lowest speed possible on my burner. I will post results later.
    Sunday, August 09, 2009 7:58 PM
  • Here is what worked for me.

I powered my PC off after it had been stuck at 62% for several hours and when it powered back on let the Windows 7 recovery process put my old Windows back (I was upgrading from Windows 7 RC build 7100 to RTM).

I noticed that a couple of other people on the net had mentioned seeing this problem when they had a ATI Radeon (in my case I have a Radeon 4800 series card).  So I did the following:

1) Uninstalled old programs that I knew I was no longer using.
    2) Disconnected my normal network shares (mapped drives).
    3) Unplugged all USB connected devices other than mouse/keyboard.
    4) Installed the very latest Windows 7 x64 driver from ATI for the Radeon (mine was about a month behind)

Upgraded, and this time it worked (took a long time... estimating 2-4 hours... didn't watch it the whole time).
    Sunday, August 09, 2009 10:54 PM
  • I am stuck again, I will try your suggestions later. I have a number of shares and offline files enabled so I will see if disbled and disconnecting them makes a difference.
    Monday, August 10, 2009 10:06 AM
  • I have the same issue, though I am upgrading from windows 7 RC to RTM.  Get's stuck at 62%, 2 attempts.  I had tried Henrik's suggestions, disconnecting a firewire drive, running chkdsk, uninstalling unnecessary programs.   This did not help.  I have an Nvidia card, but I will make sure the driver is updated prior to my next attempt.  Hopefully they'll make some fix that can be downloaded during the install process.
    Monday, August 10, 2009 4:12 PM
  • I have the same problem with the RTM. I didn't want to shut it down yet... I hope it will recover alright :/ I will give an update and see what, if anything, works.
    Monday, August 10, 2009 8:06 PM
  • I'm seeing this to upgrading from vista x64 sp2 to win7 RTM.

If you go to problems and reports I can see the report that was sent to microsoft for my failed install...the bucket id is: 659893860.

Thanks
    Monday, August 10, 2009 9:47 PM
  • I'm seeing this to upgrading from vista x64 sp2 to win7 RTM. Where are the setup logs?

Where dows the installer store the setup logs once it has rolled back to Vista x64?
    Monday, August 10, 2009 10:31 PM
  • if you select the option to send you installation experience to MS at the beginning, then when the install fails a problem report will be created and you can view the setup files in that report from the 'problem reports and solutions' along with the bucket id that the report was sent to...i have posted the bucket that my error was sent to...please let us know if yours is going to the same bucket...hopefully, someone from the window installation team sees our bucket ids and can tell us why the installation is failing from the logs that are being sent to WER.
    Monday, August 10, 2009 10:38 PM
  • Well, two things to coment here. I found an install log form someone that was having the same error on a different forum:
    2009-05-09 19:38:56, Info MIG MXEService is launching process:
    C:\Windows\microsoft.net\framework\v2.0.50727\ngen.exe update /queue 2009-05-09 19:38:57, Info MIG MXEService is launching process: C:\Windows\microsoft.net\framework64\v2.0.50727\ngen.exe update /queue
    2009-05-09 19:38:57, Info [0x08072c] MIG Calling IPostApply::ApplySuccess for Plugin= {ServerPath="%windir%\system32\migration\BridgeMigPlugin.dll", CLSID={ee036dc0-f9b7-4d2d-bb94-3dd3102c5804}, ThreadingModel=Apartment}, UserContext: System
    2009-05-09 19:38:57, Info MIG IPostApply::ApplySuccess for Plugin={ServerPath="%windir%\system32\migration\BridgeMigPlugin.dll", CLSID={ee036dc0-f9b7-4d2d-bb94-3dd3102c5804}, ThreadingModel=Apartment} - Working directory: C:\$UPGRADE.~OS\OnlineUpgradeApplyWork\srcworking\agentmgr\CCSIAgent\005ACDA2 2009-05-09 19:44:34, Warning [0x080b50] MIG AsyncCallback_ApplyStatus: Progress appears to be stuck. Current progress: 62

Secondly, when I tried installing windows 7 this second time, I grabbed the compatability report:
    * For these items, make the following changes:
    Uninstall these programs. Open Control Panel and search for "uninstall a program".
    o ZoneAlarm ForceField
    o ZoneAlarm
    o Kaspersky Anti-Virus

These devices might not work properly after the upgrade. Before upgrading, we recommend updating the drivers for these devices. Cancel the upgrade, open Control Panel and search for "update device drivers", or go to the device manufacturer's website to search for updated drivers.
    o Printers: HP DeskJet 895Cse

These programs might not work properly after the upgrade. We recommend uninstalling these programs before upgrading. Cancel the upgrade, open Control Panel, and search for "uninstall a program". (Note: Programs marked as * can be safely reinstalled after the upgrade.)
    o Daemon Tools
    o LifeCam
    o Windows Mobile Device Center 6.1 *
    o ZoneAlarm 8

Now, I have removed all of those, and unplugged any unnecessary components. Hopefully this will help. If anyone has any other suggestions, please bring them up because I doubt this is goign to be an easy fix (but we can hope). I'll post another update soon.

P.S. If your installer gets stuck on 62% for more than 2-3 hours, I would suggest not waiting for it. I left mine for 2 days, and it made 0 progress.
    • Proposed as answer by Nivritti Thursday, August 13, 2009 8:54 PM
    Monday, August 10, 2009 11:10 PM
  • Mine failed again, 62% for 8+ hours. I am going to try again with offline files disabled, no networks shares and any hardware that is not inside the computer.
    Monday, August 10, 2009 11:43 PM
  • Update - started the update last night.  Woke up, the process was stuck at transferring, 62%.  Went to work - 8 hours later - it had finished.  Maybe it just takes a god-awful long time?
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 12:23 AM
  • Same issue here on a Dell XPS 730x moving from Vista x64 Ultimate to Windows 7 RTM x64 Ultimate.  First 2 attempts I waited about 5-6 hours and never saw a "%" number on the Transferring line but last evening on the 3rd attempt I let it go all night.  I woke up this morning after 8-hours and it was stalled at 62%.  SHIF+F10 and opened the C:\Windows\setupact.log and didn't see anything suspicious so I went to work and let it go for the day.  I'm hoping it finishes this time like it did with wpowell.  The previous 2 rollbacks I had a June 2009 Nvidia driver loaded for my GTX275 but last night before the 3rd attempt I upgraded to the latest build of the driver package for the card.  I should mention that the setupact.log file after the 2nd attempt stopped indicating some sort of display issue; the log is so darn cryptic to decipher.
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 11:42 AM
  • I'm seeing this to upgrading from vista x64 sp2 to win7 RTM. Where are the setup logs?

Where dows the installer store the setup logs once it has rolled back to Vista x64?

if you select the option to send you installation experience to MS at the beginning, then when the install fails a problem report will be created and you can view the setup files in that report from the 'problem reports and solutions' along with the bucket id that the report was sent to...i have posted the bucket that my error was sent to...please let us know if yours is going to the same bucket...hopefully, someone from the window installation team sees our bucket ids and can tell us why the installation is failing from the logs that are being sent to WER.

if you are seeing this problem please check the option to collect install info for MS and when it rolls back indicate the bucket id from 'problems and solutions' report so the windows 7 team can know where to go to look at the logs for the install failure.
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 2:48 PM
  • Same issue here on a Dell XPS 730x moving from Vista x64 Ultimate to Windows 7 RTM x64 Ultimate.  First 2 attempts I waited about 5-6 hours and never saw a "%" number on the Transferring line but last evening on the 3rd attempt I let it go all night.  I woke up this morning after 8-hours and it was stalled at 62%.  SHIF+F10 and opened the C:\Windows\setupact.log and didn't see anything suspicious so I went to work and let it go for the day.  I'm hoping it finishes this time like it did with wpowell.  The previous 2 rollbacks I had a June 2009 Nvidia driver loaded for my GTX275 but last night before the 3rd attempt I upgraded to the latest build of the driver package for the card.  I should mention that the setupact.log file after the 2nd attempt stopped indicating some sort of display issue; the log is so darn cryptic to decipher.

did you get a problem report that was sent to MS after the rollback? if so what was the bucket id of the report?
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 2:50 PM
  • Here is a somewhat helpful link that may help determine the problem with the installation:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928901
    It lists the log files for successful and unsuccessful installations. If anyone woudl be willing to look their files up to see where their installation got stuck, it would be benificial.

P.S. Maybe try using this too:
    Windows 7 upgrade advisor
    • Edited by imasonaz Tuesday, August 11, 2009 9:03 PM
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 8:01 PM
  • Mine is completely failed now, I not impressed at all with the upgrade. Mine went from not loading and being able to restore Vista to a BSOD 0XF4. It then became an endless loop that forced me to do a clean install. It was stuck in setup mode, I couldn't restore or load Vista fully because technically Vista wasn't damaged and could start but never fully load. It also made all my resore points disappear. Then it never recognized Windows 7 as a valid OS so I could repair it and it never fully failed. Although this isn't a big deal in my situation it definately is the poorest windows upgrade process I have ever experienced.
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 2:49 AM
  • Mine is completely failed now, I not impressed at all with the upgrade. Mine went from not loading and being able to restore Vista to a BSOD 0XF4. It then became an endless loop that forced me to do a clean install. It was stuck in setup mode, I couldn't restore or load Vista fully because technically Vista wasn't damaged and could start but never fully load. It also made all my resore points disappear. Then it never recognized Windows 7 as a valid OS so I could repair it and it never fully failed. Although this isn't a big deal in my situation it definately is the poorest windows upgrade process I have ever experienced.

I am on my second roll back now and I dearly hope mine does not do the same thing. Best of luck to you though.
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 3:48 AM

• yea, thats what iam talking about.

that this "upgrade" feature is not working, i tried 10 times, and lets say 1 from 10 was successful, in others 9 upgrades ive got many leftovers, some locked files and other s h i t....
    even clean install not working for everyone.
    but who cares in MS for some 5% users. they just need to sell it, profit...
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 5:35 AM
  • Alright, so I did a roll back and looked at the error logs. Here are some of the things I found:

2009-02-12 14:05:14, Info       [0x090062] PANTHR Destroying module: OnlineProgress (SEQ1)

2009-02-12 14:05:14, Info       [0x090081] PANTHR Destroying any unreferenced modules! (SEQ6)

2009-02-12 14:05:14, Info       [0x0640d1] IBSLIB [Setup Disk Usage] Beginning of usage information.

2009-02-12 14:05:14, Info       [0x0640d8] IBSLIB [Setup Disk Usage] End of usage information.

2009-02-12 14:05:14, Info       [0x0601dc] IBS    Setup has completed phase 4 at 2009-02-12 14:05:14

2009-02-12 14:05:15, Info       [0x0601e1] IBS    InstallWindows:First boot phase of setup done!!!!

2009-02-12 14:05:15, Info       [0x090009] PANTHR CBlackboard::Close: c:\windows\panther\setupinfo.

2009-02-12 14:03:56, Error                 CSI    00000d94 (F) Logged @2009/2/12:22:03:56.531 : [ml:192{96},l:190{95}]"FirewallConfigInstaller::RemoveFirewallRule (SNMPTRAP-In-UDP / @snmptrap.exe,-7, 7) from POLICY"

[gle=0x80004005]

2009-02-12 14:03:56, Error                 CSI    00000d95 (F) Logged @2009/2/12:22:03:56.531 : [ml:158{79},l:156{78}]"FirewallConfigInstaller::IsRulePresentInReferenceInstance() with Profiles: 07."

[gle=0x80004005]

2009-02-12 14:03:56, Error                 CSI    00000d96 (F) Logged @2009/2/12:22:03:56.546 : [ml:148{74},l:146{73}]"FirewallConfigInstaller:AddRemoveFirewallConfig() installation type is 4."

[gle=0x80004005]

2009-02-12 14:03:56, Error                 CSI    00000d97 (F) Logged @2009/2/12:22:03:56.546 : [ml:132{66},l:130{65}]"FirewallConfigInstaller:AddRemoveFirewallConfig() SERVICING is 1."

[gle=0x80004005]

2009-02-12 14:03:56, Error                 CSI    00000d98 (F) Logged @2009/2/12:22:03:56.546 : [ml:744{372},l:742{371}]"FirewallConfigInstaller:AddRemoveFirewallConfig() installing <firewallRule xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v3" Action="Allow" Active="FALSE" Binary="%SystemRoot%\system32\snmptrap.exe" Desc="@snmptrap.exe,-8" Dir="In" LPort="162" Name="@snmptrap.exe,-7" Profile="Domain" Protocol="17" Svc="SNMPTRAP" group="@snmptrap.exe,-3" internalName="SNMPTRAP-In-UDP-NoScope" />"

[gle=0x80004005]

2009-02-12 14:03:56, Error                 CSI    00000d99 (F) Logged @2009/2/12:22:03:56.546 : [ml:146{73},l:144{72}]"FirewallConfigInstaller:AddRemoveFirewallConfig() Uninstalling a rule..."

[gle=0x80004005]

2009-02-12 14:03:56, Error                 CSI    00000d9a (F) Logged @2009/2/12:22:03:56.546 : [ml:212{106},l:210{105}]"FirewallConfigInstaller::RemoveFirewallRule (SNMPTRAP-In-UDP-NoScope / @snmptrap.exe,-7, 1) from DEFAULTS"

[gle=0x80004005]

2009-02-12 14:03:56, Error                 CSI    00000d9b (F) Logged @2009/2/12:22:03:56.546 : [ml:152{76},l:150{75}]"FirewallConfigInstaller::RemoveFirewallRule deleted 0 rules with 0 profiles"

[gle=0x80004005]

2009-02-12 14:03:56, Error                 CSI    00000d9c (F) Logged @2009/2/12:22:03:56.546 : [ml:208{104},l:206{103}]"FirewallConfigInstaller::RemoveFirewallRule (SNMPTRAP-In-UDP-NoScope / @snmptrap.exe,-7, 1) from POLICY"

[gle=0x80004005]

2009-02-12 14:03:56, Error                 CSI    00000d9d (F) Logged @2009/2/12:22:03:56.546 : [ml:158{79},l:156{78}]"FirewallConfigInstaller::IsRulePresentInReferenceInstance() with Profiles: 07."

[gle=0x80004005]

So from the first log I gather that everythign is completing correctly, but the second restart is not executing. Don't know why... If someoen understands this a little better, please explain.

Also from the last lines of my error log:

2009-02-12 14:03:56, Error                 CSI    00000d98 (F) Logged @2009/2/12:22:03:56.546 : [ml:744{372},l:742{371}]"FirewallConfigInstaller:AddRemoveFirewallConfig() installing <firewallRule xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v3" Action="Allow" Active="FALSE" Binary="%SystemRoot%\system32\snmptrap.exe" Desc="@snmptrap.exe,-8" Dir="In" LPort="162" Name="@snmptrap.exe,-7" Profile="Domain" Protocol="17" Svc="SNMPTRAP" group="@snmptrap.exe,-3" internalName="SNMPTRAP-In-UDP-NoScope" />"
    [gle=0x80004005]
    2009-02-12 14:03:56, Error                 CSI    00000d99 (F) Logged @2009/2/12:22:03:56.546 : [ml:146{73},l:144{72}]"FirewallConfigInstaller:AddRemoveFirewallConfig() Uninstalling a rule..."
    [gle=0x80004005]
    2009-02-12 14:03:56, Error                 CSI    00000d9a (F) Logged @2009/2/12:22:03:56.546 : [ml:212{106},l:210{105}]"FirewallConfigInstaller::RemoveFirewallRule (SNMPTRAP-In-UDP-NoScope / @snmptrap.exe,-7, 1) from DEFAULTS"
    [gle=0x80004005]
    2009-02-12 14:03:56, Error                 CSI    00000d9b (F) Logged @2009/2/12:22:03:56.546 : [ml:152{76},l:150{75}]"FirewallConfigInstaller::RemoveFirewallRule deleted 0 rules with 0 profiles"
    [gle=0x80004005]
    2009-02-12 14:03:56, Error                 CSI    00000d9c (F) Logged @2009/2/12:22:03:56.546 : [ml:208{104},l:206{103}]"FirewallConfigInstaller::RemoveFirewallRule (SNMPTRAP-In-UDP-NoScope / @snmptrap.exe,-7, 1) from POLICY"
    [gle=0x80004005]
    2009-02-12 14:03:56, Error                 CSI    00000d9d (F) Logged @2009/2/12:22:03:56.546 : [ml:158{79},l:156{78}]"FirewallConfigInstaller::IsRulePresentInReferenceInstance() with Profiles: 07."
    [gle=0x80004005]
    More logs for you here:

2009-08-11 04:57:46, Info MIG IPostApply::ApplySuccess for Plugin={ServerPath="%windir%\system32\migration\IphlpsvcMigPlugin.dll", CLSID={ade10465-2a43-454e-b0a7-3f220a61bd03}, ThreadingModel=Apartment} - Working directory: C:\$UPGRADE.~OS\OnlineUpgradeApplyWork\srcworking\agentmgr\CCSIAgent\005AE0CB 2009-08-11 04:57:46, Info [0x0808fe] MIG Plugin {ade10465-2a43-454e-b0a7-3f220a61bd03}: IphlpsvcMigPlugin: IphlpsvcMigPlugin: Performing upgrade actions for all protocols 2009-08-11 04:57:46, Info [0x0808fe] MIG Plugin {ade10465-2a43-454e-b0a7-3f220a61bd03}: IphlpsvcMigPlugin: IphlpsvcMigPlugin: CountInterfacesOfAType for 0.InterfaceCount ptr = 2c1e558, InterfaceCount = 0 2009-08-11 04:57:46, Info [0x0808fe] MIG Plugin {ade10465-2a43-454e-b0a7-3f220a61bd03}: IphlpsvcMigPlugin: IphlpsvcMigPlugin: CountInterfacesOfAType for 0.Incrementing interface count 2009-08-11 04:57:46, Info [0x0808fe] MIG Plugin {ade10465-2a43-454e-b0a7-3f220a61bd03}: IphlpsvcMigPlugin: IphlpsvcMigPlugin: CountInterfacesOfAType for 0.InterfaceCount ptr = 2c1e558, New value of *InterfaceCount = 1 2009-08-11 04:57:46, Info [0x0808fe] MIG Plugin {ade10465-2a43-454e-b0a7-3f220a61bd03}: IphlpsvcMigPlugin: IphlpsvcMigPlugin: RegEnumKeyEx return 259. key name: {AC049C3C-9B90-41A7-9385-DC5AD3E656F0}.new index: 2 2009-08-11 05:05:30, Warning [0x080b50] MIG AsyncCallback_ApplyStatus: Progress appears to be stuck. Current progress: 62 2009-08-11 05:20:31, Warning [0x080b50] MIG AsyncCallback_ApplyStatus: Progress appears to be stuck. Current progress: 62

Some more errors:
    2009-08-10 14:33:48, Error Failed to find driver file path. Error=ffffffffx[gle=0x00000003] 2009-08-10 15:23:30, Error [0x080389] MIG Failure while calling IDiscovery->Gather for Plugin={ServerPath="%SystemRoot%\System32\Setup\msdtcstp.dll", CLSID={342992B2-913C-4C36-9DB7-6C68ABD1F079}, ThreadingModel=Apartment}. Error: 0x80100101 2009-08-11 04:57:25, Error [0x08038d] MIG Failure while calling IPostApply->ApplySuccess for Plugin={ServerPath="%SystemRoot%\System32\Setup\msdtcstp.dll", CLSID={342992B2-913C-4C36-9DB7-6C68ABD1F079}, ThreadingModel=Apartment}. Error: 0x80100101

Sorry for the extremely long post and al the quotes, but if anyone has any ideas or is good at understanding these logs, please, give me some tips, guidence, or ideas here. Anything you have, I will gladly accept. I'm completely stuck here.
    Thank you
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 6:11 AM

if you select the option to send you installation experience to MS at the beginning, then when the install fails a problem report will be created and you can view the setup files in that report from the 'problem reports and solutions' along with the bucket id that the report was sent to...i have posted the bucket that my error was sent to...please let us know if yours is going to the same bucket...hopefully, someone from the window installation team sees our bucket ids and can tell us why the installation is failing from the logs that are being sent to WER.

if you are seeing this problem please check the option to collect install info for MS and when it rolls back indicate the bucket id from 'problems and solutions' report so the windows 7 team can know where to go to look at the logs for the install failure.

Also, you just say view the files in 'problem reports and solutions'.... Where are you saying I will find this exactly?
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 6:19 AM

Also, you just say view the files in 'problem reports and solutions'.... Where are you saying I will find this exactly?

All you have to do is click on the start button and type 'problem...' and you should find it quickly (or just run wercon.exe)...once you get to that dialog click on view problem history, then i sorted by date and you should see something like 'windows installation rollback...right click on that and view problem details and should see the link to view the temp files and the bucket id your report was sent to.
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 1:43 PM
  • For the record, I spent the 2-hours backing up my Dell XPS 730x i7 940 system after 4-failed upgrade attempts to Windows 7 x64 Ultimate from Vista x64 Ultimate and performed a clean install.  It took 20-minutes to install Windows 7 from scratch, and no Device Manager issues at all.  I realize I need to perform some application reinstalls but I am way ahead of the game now.  I should have done this from the outset and saved hours of frustration deciphering logs and chasing my tail with rollbacks.

Good Luck to all you 62%'ers out there.

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 3:05 PM
  • Hello,
    Are we still seeing this issue?
    I would like to see some logs on this issue.
    Grab the setup logs
    Use this article for help locating the setup logs.
    927521 Windows Vista setup log file locations
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;927521
    It sounds like we are in the online configuration phase.
    I think you can open a cmd prompt at this point in setup ( hit Shift -F10) and copy the logs
    Either post the logs to a link where I can download them or send them to me
    Darrellg@online.microsoft.com ( remove the online from the email address before sending)
    Thanks, Darrell Gorter This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 4:55 PM
  • Hello,
    Are we still seeing this issue?
    Grab the setup logs
    I think you can open a cmd prompt at this point in setup ( hit Shift -F10) and copy the logs
    Darrellg@online.microsoft.com ( remove the online from the email address before sending)

When the setup freezes, it will not let me do SHIFT+F10. And I will send you an email with the zipped logs once the setup rolls back again. (Third time Woo!) I am glad that someone may have finally seen this post!!

Also, this is anothe reference I foudn to this problem (sorry if external links are not allowed):
    http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/8449-win7-rc1-how-long-should-upgrade-take-7.html
    That is the only other place I have found any reference to this problem.
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 10:56 PM
  • Hello ImasonAZ,
    Can you include the time when setup rolls back, or the time that it freezes. I want to try to match the time with the log files and go back from there?  We do some logging during the rollback as well so knowing the time it happens shortens the log file I have to look at.
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 11:52 PM
  • I have the same exact problem...my install stops at 63% transferring, files, settings and  programs.  I am running Vista 64 sp2 with 4GB memory.  This same thing happened when I tried to upgrade the RC of Win 7.  I thought they would have it fixed with the RTM.

Can anyone figure this out????
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 12:28 PM
  • Add me to the 63% list. My setuperr.log looks like this. I wish it would tell me which driver(s) it's having problems with.

2009-08-07 18:51:23, Error                        Number of Enumerated Devices = 15[gle=0x00000103]
    2009-08-07 18:51:24, Error                        Failed to find driver file path. Error=00000002x[gle=0x80092004]
    2009-08-07 18:51:24, Error                        Failed to find driver file path. Error=00000002x[gle=0x80092004]
    2009-08-07 18:51:24, Error                        Failed to find driver file path. Error=ffffffffx[gle=0x00000003]
    2009-08-07 18:51:24, Error                        Failed to find driver file path. Error=ffffffffx[gle=0x00000003]
    2009-08-07 18:51:27, Error                        Number of Enumerated Devices = 15[gle=0x00000103]
    2009-08-07 18:51:28, Error                        Failed to find driver file path. Error=00000002x[gle=0x80092004]
    2009-08-07 18:51:28, Error                        Failed to find driver file path. Error=00000002x[gle=0x80092004]
    2009-08-07 18:51:28, Error                        Failed to find driver file path. Error=ffffffffx[gle=0x00000003]
    2009-08-07 18:51:28, Error                        Failed to find driver file path. Error=ffffffffx[gle=0x00000003]
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 7:10 PM
  • I saw in a posting the other day the they had to uninstall Daemon Tools before they could get the upgrade process to complete successfuly (MS support call suggestion).
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 8:56 PM
  • Hello Dick,
    Grab the setup logs
    Either post the logs to a link where I can download them or send them to me ( compress the logs before sending please)
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 9:18 PM
  • Hello Ken,
    Grab the setup logs
    Either post the logs to a link where I can download them or send them to me ( compress the logs before sending please)
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 9:19 PM

All you have to do is click on the start button and type 'problem...' and you should find it quickly (or just run wercon.exe)...once you get to that dialog click on view problem history, then i sorted by date and you should see something like 'windows installation rollback...right click on that and view problem details and should see the link to view the temp files and the bucket id your report was sent to.

Product

Windows Installation Rollback

Problem

WinSetupDiag01

Date

8/13/2009 4:08 PM

Status

Report Sent

Problem signature

Problem Event Name: WinSetupDiag01

Problem Signature 01: win7_rtm

Problem Signature 02: 7600

Problem Signature 03: 2

Problem Signature 04: 1

Problem Signature 05: 4

Problem Signature 06: 9

Problem Signature 07: ULTIMATE

Problem Signature 08: 6001

Problem Signature 09: 80389

Problem Signature 10: 8038d

OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1

Locale ID: 1033

Files that help describe the problem (some files may no longer be available)

setupact.log

diagerr.xml

cbs.log

setupapi.app.log

setupapi.dev.log

setupapi.offline.log

wql.txt

Extra information about the problem

Bucket ID: 683284148

Thursday, August 13, 2009 11:16 PM
  • Hello ImasonAZ,
    Can you include the time when setup rolls back, or the time that it freezes. I want to try to match the time with the log files and go back from there?  We do some logging during the rollback as well so knowing the time it happens shortens the log file I have to look at.

I sent you an email titled "Windows 7 RTM Log files" Hope it helps.
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 11:46 PM
  • Hi Darrell,

I emailed the log files to you.  They were over 6MB so I hope your mail server will accept them.  If not I can zip them individually and try sending again.  I could also put them on a FTP site.

Thanks for your help.

Dick 
    Friday, August 14, 2009 12:20 AM
  • I am also stuck at 62% while doing the In-Place upgrade of Windows 7 RTM x64 onto Vista Business Sp1 x64. Symptom is identical to that described by kanno41. The following may be relevant.

AMD (ATI) 4670 Graphics Card
         i7 920 system, MSI x58, 12G RAM
         logged into Administrator account on DOMAIN
            with roaming profile
            with folder redirection

I can upload the logs if needed.
    I will try again with updated ATI Catalyst driver

Saturday, August 15, 2009 12:30 AM
  • Not sure if this will help anyone else, but I had the same problem - Vista 32 -> Windows 7 32 Ultimate. Ran it the first time and was stuck for 3-4 hours, rebooted, it rolled back to Vista. I then uninstalled Norton, rebooted and it got stuck at 62% (file number not changing, but my hard drive was active) - not sure how long it was at 62%, but it was there 8 hours after I started the installation, so I started looking for help - found this forum and saw the Microsoft guy say "It sounds like we are in the online configuration phase" and others mentioning disconnecting their shares (which I had not done) -
     What worked for me, was pulling my network cable, I did this with the installation still running and it may just be coincidence, but within a minute of pulling the cable the file number started moving again and finished that portion within 5 minutes. This won't help anyone with an internal wireless card (most I'm afraid), but if you are hard wired, or have an external wireless card in your notebook, give it a try. My installation is still going as I write this, but hopefully there are no more issues. I'll post once it's done.
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 1:55 PM
  • It completed. Completed about an hour after my post - the screen was black for most of it, but there was hard drive activity and it rebooted a couple times. Everything appears to be there and working.
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 3:22 PM
  • Tried again at early this morning with the following changes
    • uninstalled all ISO mounting programs similar to daemontools
    • uninstalled Norton systemworks and Internet Security
    • updated ATI Catalyst drivers to latest version
    • used regular installation drive instead of RAID array
    Still stuck in same phase after 6 hours but do not yet see the 62%.
    I have copied over the logs to another directory.
    Just tried the disconnect ethernet cable advice from MrNFL

Let's see.
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 8:56 PM
  • identical problem here. vista ultimate 64 upgrading to win 7 ultimate 64. stuck at 62% for 10 hours, 14 hours total. have a pair of ATI Radeon 8800 gtx's if that's relevant. just tried unplugging Ethernet, no improvement yet, NOT impressed. thought win 7 was supposed to fix vista not be even worse? can't supply logs, pc unusable! making this report from phone. seriously... this is NOT good. win 7 rtm installer has a showstopper critical fault. just not good enough, simple as that.
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 10:53 PM
  • waited couple more hours, now I am stuck again at 62%. Running out of ideas ....
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 11:00 PM
  • Just a note to the recent posters:
    If you do feel that Windows 7 is taking too long (although I would highly recomend that you do continue), a good limit is 18-24 hours for the install, just to make sure it isn't stuck on transferring files, there should be little to no problems with a roll back. IF you want to do a roll back, during the installation simply shut down your computer (again, please watch for file progress, because hard drive activity while force shutting down your computer can cause more damage than good) and Windows 7 will start the roll back automatically when you start your computer back up. It may sit at the starting Windows screen for a while, which for me took up to 15 min, but will then being the roll back. I have had no real problems during the 3 times I have done my roll backs. The one thing I noticed is that my Windows Live Messenger no longer had my email account or password saved, but all other settings remained.

Overall, doing a roll back SHOULD be problem-free, but still use caution and do not jump to this as a solution for anything, only as a last action after hours of waiting.

Again, a good way of seeing if your installation is stuck might be to hit SHIFT+F10. The installation logs should come up, and if they don't it is very likely that your installation is stuck.

Good Luck to all of you, and I look forward to hearing more ideas to try, as I still look for ideas myself.
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 11:40 PM
    If you do feel that Windows 7 is taking too long (although I would highly recomend that you do continue), a good limit is 18-24 hours for the install

No offense but while you may be willing to wait 18 to 24 hours, I find that outright rediculous for the average user.  This is not 1989 and you are not installing a new OS on a mainframe at a university.  There obviously is a flaw in the installer and I hope Microsoft is working on it.  Work arounds or herculean patience may be fine for some but the essential issue is there is a major problem with the installer that manifests with certain hardware.  Unlike other stuff like pseudo crises in checkdisk, I agree with another poster that this does constitute a show stopper type problem.  The fact is my first couple attempts hung and rolling back left an unbootable mess, but when I switched to installing (as a clean install) from a flash drive it took barely 30 minutes. The upgrade I did on a second machine took 45 minutes.    The issue also did not exist with the RC or beta so there is certainly a problem to fix on Microsoft's part. Once it installs it runs beautifully but if you can't install it that is hardly much consolation.  I too wish people luck, but I (even more) hope for a prompt answer/resolution from Microsoft....

Stephen
    Sunday, August 16, 2009 2:25 AM
    If you do feel that Windows 7 is taking too long (although I would highly recomend that you do continue), a good limit is 18-24 hours for the install

No offense but while you may be willing to wait 18 to 24 hours, I find that outright rediculous for the average user.  This is not 1989 and you are not installing a new OS on a mainframe at a university.  There obviously is a flaw in the installer and I hope Microsoft is working on it.  Work arounds or herculean patience may be fine for some but the essential issue is there is a major problem with the installer that manifests with certain hardware.  Unlike other stuff like pseudo crises in checkdisk, I agree with another poster that this does constitute a show stopper type problem.  The fact is my first couple attempts hung and rolling back left an unbootable mess, but when I switched to installing (as a clean install) from a flash drive it took barely 30 minutes. The upgrade I did on a second machine took 45 minutes.    The issue also did not exist with the RC or beta so there is certainly a problem to fix on Microsoft's part. Once it installs it runs beautifully but if you can't install it that is hardly much consolation.  I too wish people luck, but I (even more) hope for a prompt answer/resolution from Microsoft....

Stephen
    I completely understand you there... I was just simply trying to encourage people not to do a roll back so they do not end up in your situation, which is the point of a upgrade-to keep your preexisting data, not corrupt it. I am saying wait to save more pain later. I agree that this needs to be solved immediately and hope that microsoft sees this problem,
    maybe with some help from Darrell Gorter, but this needs to be fixed.
    Sunday, August 16, 2009 2:31 AM
  • well it's now had 24 hours of which 20 has been stuck at 62%. i'm going to reboot and roll back... but what then? do we even know what is actually causing this or still guessing? (network shares, video card drivers, and antivirus have all been mentioned...) you'd think MS would be jumping all over this. i thought bad press for win 7 would be the LAST thing they'd want.
    Sunday, August 16, 2009 8:22 AM
  • i have checked the logs using shift+f10. setupact.log has these messages every 15 mins since 18:11 yesterday (now 09:30 ish): [0x080b50] MIG AsyncCallback_ApplyStatus: progress appears to be stuck. Current progress: 62 brilliant. couldn't have showed that onscreen, then, and saved me 15 hours of being unsure? setuperr.log shows, among other things, thousands of these: [0x08065e] MIG IPFSM ERROR: unable to remap path to IPT store: [gle=0x00000003] it seems to list every file in my Documents folder, which i relocated to my D: data drive instead of my C: os/apps drive. ddon't tell me it can't cope with that??? now going to reboot and attempt to rescue this mess.
    Sunday, August 16, 2009 8:44 AM
  • Right, sorry for the formatting of my previous posts, my phone didn't seem to like posting here very much. Lucky that I could use the internet on my phone at all, or I'd have been stuffed!

So... just to repeat, do we have any idea how to fix/avoid this yet? I'm not about to risk another 24 hour wait without being pretty confident that's not going to happen.
    Sunday, August 16, 2009 10:30 AM
  • Has ANYONE gotten a successful install of Windows 7 x64 as an upgrade to Vista x64?  I read the entire above thread and I don't see anyone saying "it worked for me".

The answer to this could save much time and trouble to those looking to try it.

Upgrading a completely configured system full of who knows what software may just be a problem beyond the capabilities of mere humans to solve.  Perhaps (keeping in mind any answers to my question above) this is the point where we all agree that doing a fresh install and doing through the pain of reconfiguring and reinstalling everything will be worth it.

-Noel
    Sunday, August 16, 2009 2:22 PM
  • I think we have had mixed success. I have had an upgrade on my laptop that had Vista 64 Home Premium work just fine. Then my upgrade on my PC going to Vista 64 Ultimate to Windows 7 went totally south.
    Sunday, August 16, 2009 4:55 PM
  • > Perhaps (keeping in mind any answers to my question above) this is the point where we all agree that doing a fresh install and doing through the pain of reconfiguring and reinstalling everything will be worth it.

...or wait for MS to release a fix, and stick with Vista in the meantime, and advise everyone I know to do the same?

I want Win 7, a lot, but I don't think I need it. I'd rather MS put time into a fix than I put my valuable spare time into reinstalling all my applications - if it can be avoided. If not, that may be just how the world is, but speaking for myself I'd rather wait and see...
    Sunday, August 16, 2009 5:44 PM
  • A this point I think we are being forced to wait. We don't really have a choice besides a clean install. Now I remember why people were so reluctant to upgrade to Windows Vista - they saw the problems coming. So I think I will stick with my Windows Vista for the simple fact that it works. Maybe when I get my pre-ordered public release I will upgrade. Hopefully by then they will actually have this fixed. Overall, yes, a fix and some help from Microsoft would be great (HINT HINT HERE).
    Sunday, August 16, 2009 8:08 PM
  • New thing to try (Thank you seven forums!):
    Try installing with only 2GB of RAM installed. Since there have been issues in the past with more than 2GB of ram (With Vista), this might work like it worked with Windows Vista. I haven't tried this, but if someone does bfore I do, let me know!

Edit: This hasn't worked.
    • Edited by imasonaz Tuesday, August 18, 2009 7:39 PM
    Monday, August 17, 2009 4:25 AM
  • Hello,
    Just an update on where we are with this thread and the log files.
    Thanks for the logs I have recieved.

There are at least two distinct issues here.
    One where the hang is at 62% and one where the hang is at 63%.

With the hang at 62%, we know what is causing the hang and we are testing a workaround to allow you to get past it, when we get that I will post the workaround.
    This is represented in the setupact.log with multiple occurrences of
    [0x080b50] MIG AsyncCallback_ApplyStatus: progress appears to be stuck. Current progress: 62
    In the setupact.log

With the hang at 63% we are still investigating, we think we have an internal repro so will be looking at that.

Monday, August 17, 2009 6:55 PM
  • Alright, after a lot of trying and playing with various things I figured out a work around (sort of). I used Windows Vista's Easy transfer to backup my old system and did a clean installation. Then I transferred all of my old (backed up) files and settings to my new Windows 7 OS. This seems to do the trick. I have kept a large portion of my programs (90%+) and all of my files. This was pretty simple to do and now I don't have to worry about any bugs the upgrade may have left. So my proposed solution to this huge problem is as follows:

1. Backup using Easy Transfer wizard (to network drive or external drive).
    2. Install clean Windows 7 Operating System.
    3. Transfer all of your old files and settings back over with Windows 7 Easy Transfer.
    4. Enjoy.

Please note: You should leave your old Hard drives connected during the transfer back or your programs may not install properly.

For the last time, good luck to you all, and it has been 'fun' learning experience for us all.... hahah.
    • Proposed as answer by imasonaz Tuesday, August 18, 2009 7:38 PM
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 7:38 PM
  • SUCCESSFUL UPGRADE.No hang more hangs at 62%. After reading many of the posts in this thread I took a page from each book. Disconnect all external drives, stop sharing all file shares, disconnect from network.  Be sure all drivers are up to date before you begin. This was a VISTA Ultimate to Win 7 Ultimate in place upgrade. I had failed to upgrade this machine 3 times before. At the final reboot I reconnected to the network and completed the activation. After startup reconnected all drive and everything is working. Install took 1 hour 15 minutes.
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 11:31 PM
  • This does work, but it is not a solution for the the upgrade issue that I'm seeing...I did this too, several days ago and i'm still rebuilding my image.

Wednesday, August 19, 2009 3:38 AM
  • Has any 63%'ers made it through the upgrade process (i.e. by disconnecting from the network, or some other workaround)? It sounds like the 62%'ers can get through it by performing the workarounds TH Maxwell mentions. Thanks everyone for posting your notes on this.
    Wednesday, August 19, 2009 1:28 PM
  • I have been working with Darrell (I'm a 63%er) and he is having me dump the services.exe process during the upgrade.  I tried twice last night and early this morning but I didn't have the debugging symbols and it failed.  I have installed the symbols and I'm about to try again....

Dick
    Wednesday, August 19, 2009 2:47 PM
  • Thanks Dick. I'm prep'ing my laptop with my dev tools to serve as a backup if my main dev box dies from all of this tinkering. I do have a lot of services (SQL, IIS) running on this box. Maybe if I disable some of them before the upgrade...
    Wednesday, August 19, 2009 7:50 PM
  • Any news on the "official" fix/workaround for the 62% issue? I've already done the things TH Maxwell lists to no success, and IMasonAZ's suggestion is only one step away from a clean install of everything which I'm explicitly trying to avoid by upgrading.

Vista was half-assed. I'd kinda like my Windows 7 to be full-assed, please. Half-assed just doesn't cut it any more.
    Wednesday, August 19, 2009 9:06 PM
  • Tried again and when I tried to load the debugging symbols the computer froze and I was forced into a rollback.  I do know that once it reaches 62% on transferring the system re-boots and the 63% appears.  My computer just sits there and there is no cpu activity.  This seems like the final phase of the upgrade install because all the service processes are executing and the install is pointing back to the c: drive (instead of the x: drive).

Don't know what happened to Darrell...is someone else monitoring this thread?
    Wednesday, August 19, 2009 9:27 PM
  • Dick,

Have you tried pulling the network when it gets stuck like someone earlier suggested? That's on my checklist for next attempt.

Any,

I know how you feel. My laptop is running Windows 7 and is truely amazing. Vista is just "ok" after the Windows 7 experience.
    Wednesday, August 19, 2009 9:31 PM
  • Hello,
    Just posting at the bottom of the thread. 
    This is for the 62% hang, this is not for the 63% hang, see the next post for 63% status

Symptom

During the upgrade from Windows Vista to Windows 7, the upgrade hangs at 62% indefinitely.

Note this issue is only for hangs at the 62%,

Cause

The iphlpsvc service may be hanging during the upgrade. This is one service that has been identified as hanging at this point during setup.

Resolution

Reboot the machine, this will cause a rollback to Windows Vista.

Go to the start menu

Right-click on Computer

Choose Properties

Choose advanced system settings

Choose the Environment Variables button

Under System Variables choose New

Then enter

Variable Name: MIG_UPGRADE_IGNORE_PLUGINS

variable value: IphlpsvcMigPlugin.dll

Then Restart Setup.

This workaround only applies to the iphlpsvc service hangs

More information

This hang can be seen in the setupact.log

With the following line repeated about every 15 minutes.

<TimeStamp> Warning    [0x080b50] MIG    AsyncCallback_ApplyStatus: Progress appears to be stuck. Current progress: 62

If this entry is not occurring in the log file or you are hanging at a percentage other than 62% this workaround should not be attempted. 

Note: There can be other services that may cause this hang or this log entry.

• Proposed as answer by imasonaz Thursday, August 20, 2009 11:20 PM
    • Marked as answer by kanno41 Friday, August 21, 2009 3:37 PM
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 12:19 AM
  • Hello,
    Status on the 63% hang. 
    This appears to be multiple causes.
    In one of the cases an Application - TV Tonic, will cause a delay of about an hour and a half at the 63% point of the upgrade, but setup should proceed if you wait it out.
    You can uninstall TV Tonic prior to the upgrade, you would not get this delay at the 63% mark.
    We are still working on the 63% issue. Dick Butler has been providing some great information but we do not have it identified yet.

• Proposed as answer by imasonaz Thursday, August 20, 2009 11:21 PM
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 12:22 AM
  • I have sent the dump of the services process along with the scm files that are destroyed during the rollback to Darrell.  It is very clear to me at least that the upgrade is in it's final phase when it re-boots at 62% and starts up with 63%.  All of the normal service processes are executing at this phase and the installer is changed from the temporary x: drive to the normal windows c: drive.  The process stops showing the 63% and transferring files message with no cpu activity or disk activity; I have let it stay in that position for over 8 hours and nothing changes within any running process.  I have tried to start the performance monitor and other programs via the command window or taskmgr and they will not start.  The processes just hang.  Regular windows Services that were able to start on the 63% boot up continue run.  Prior to this last boot up only minimum services (I think around 5 or 6) are running.  I have monitored this with Sysinternals ProcessExplorer64 and taskmgr.  The system will not allow network access or new access to jump drives.  If the jump drive was present during install you can access it but if you try a new drive it will not read it.

My thanks to Darrell Gorter for all his help...I'm sure Microsoft will have a solution very soon.

Dick

Thursday, August 20, 2009 8:24 AM
  • Thanks Darrell,

I tried the workaround and I got past the 62%!

The upgrade appears to have worked. The last part of the process took most of the time. The entire process was between 8-12 hours. I should be able to do some checks to see exactly how long it took. I expected it to take a few hours but not more than 8. This is not an issue for me but I can imagine the average user would expect to know if it is 3-4 hours or overnight+ since patience is required.

I will start to put it through the paces to verify that everything is still working. I am expecting minor software license registration and driver issues. If thats all that remains then I am impressed. I have never reccomended an upgrade installation for prior OS upgrades. I always considered it very risky.

Any idea yet on what software/hardware interaction may have caused the issue? Tt would be nice to know what to look for.

Thursday, August 20, 2009 9:44 PM
  • @darrel:
    Thank you. The upgrade works now in the german version too!
    I have needed 13 hours for the upgrade.
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 10:48 PM
  • I have a Core i7 965 EE processor with an ASUS Delux motherboard and 12 gig memory. I tried the Windows 7 upgrade and it got stuck at 62%. I went out of town and came back a WEEK later and it was STILL stuck at 62%. Trust me when I tell you, it ain't the processor. As a side note, I upgraded on 3 other machines and it went well. The rollback on my i7 machine worked by the way. I have to wonder whether it has anything to do with the CD drive. 

NOTE: When originally loading the Vista Windows Ultimate 64-bit OS I couldn't use a SATA CD drive on my ASUS motherboard and had to find an old fashioned HDD CD drive to load it. I wonder if the two are related?
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 11:19 PM
  • Someone please second the suggestion as the answer so users can see the answer as the first reply instead of reading 100 posts.

Thanks Darrell!
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 11:22 PM
  • I was stuck at 62%, and rebooted to get back to vista. However, my setupact.log does NOT contain anything resembling the message you mention:

In fact, setupact.log only contains messages from the first 15 minutes of the installation process (nothing that looks like an error or warning), the 62% hang was several hours into the installation. There are no messages from anything after the first reboot. This is c:\windows\setupact.log, is there another?

Given that I do not have this message, but I was stuck at exactly 62%, should I attempt your workaround?

I am asking because the rollback to Vista is not entirely smooth. As someone else mentioned, the "missing boot.ini" issue affected me, which required me to put the boot drive in another computer to fix it. Then a few reboots later I got a "stop" screen just seconds into the boot, which luckily was fixable in a similar manner using recovery. This may be something to fix too.
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 11:27 PM
  • I tried Darrell's environment variable workaround last night, and it successfully upgraded without getting stuck at 62% (it still took a hideously long time though, I set it running at 9pm and by 2am it was still going... but had finished when I came back to it at 8am).

However there was a very serious problem after the upgrade. My "Documents" folder was empty of files - it still had a complete subfolder structure, but no files at all.

Fortunately I was able to find a copy of the folder elsewhere on the drive that the upgrade had obviously created. By copying the contents of that folder back into where "Documents" (now "My Documents" again, make your minds up!) should be, I don't think I've lost any data.

It does beg the question of why it wasn't restored automatically, and why the upgrade process wasted time copying the folder to one side. What was wrong with leaving well alone?

Anyway, all seems to be working now.
    Friday, August 21, 2009 9:26 AM
  • I've been posting in Setup and Deployment, <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:1; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-format:other; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:0 0 0 0 0 0;} @font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1610611985 1073750139 0 0 159 0;} @font-face {font-family:Verdana; panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1593833729 1073750107 16 0 415 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman","serif"; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin;} a:link, span.MsoHyperlink {mso-style-priority:99; color:#004E82; mso-text-animation:none; text-decoration:none; text-underline:none; text-decoration:none; text-line-through:none;} a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed {mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; color:purple; mso-themecolor:followedhyperlink; text-decoration:underline; text-underline:single;} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; font-size:10.0pt; mso-ansi-font-size:10.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:10.0pt;} @page Section1 {size:612.0pt 792.0pt; margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt; mso-header-margin:36.0pt; mso-footer-margin:36.0pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} -->   Missing driver with the same problem (sorry if this is cross posting).  It started out partway through the installation with message saying it couldn't continue due to missing driver.  I did a roll back and tried again.  This time it got stuck at 62% for over 13 hours.

Trying to rollback was a problem and I had to use my Vista disk to get the PC to boot after it said it had rolled back to previous version.

I tried the workaround that Darrell gave and this time it was even worse.  Never got as far as moving files and folders <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:1; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-format:other; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:0 0 0 0 0 0;} @font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1610611985 1073750139 0 0 159 0;} @font-face {font-family:Verdana; panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1593833729 1073750107 16 0 415 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman","serif"; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin;} a:link, span.MsoHyperlink {mso-style-priority:99; color:#004E82; mso-text-animation:none; text-decoration:none; text-underline:none; text-decoration:none; text-line-through:none;} a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed {mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; color:purple; mso-themecolor:followedhyperlink; text-decoration:underline; text-underline:single;} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; font-size:10.0pt; mso-ansi-font-size:10.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:10.0pt;} @page Section1 {size:612.0pt 792.0pt; margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt; mso-header-margin:36.0pt; mso-footer-margin:36.0pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> .  It stopped on the expanding Windows files.  All that showed up on the screen was 'setup can't continue' with the option to click on OK.  It didn't even do a rollback, all I had was a blue Win 7 background.  I had to reboot just to get it to rollback.

As it's rolled back, I can't get at the setup logs to see what was wrong.

Friday, August 21, 2009 9:47 AM
  • This workaround worked perfectly!  I had Al send you the setup logs, and he said you had received them.

The upgrade went flawlessly after adding that Environment Variable.

A tremendous thank you to you and all at Microsoft for responding to this issue.

Friday, August 21, 2009 3:42 PM
  • Worked for me too. But it took about 14h with 98% of it in the SYSPRP portion of the upgrade, with a idle CPU and no disk activity, and less than 1% at each 5 min. This was Vista Ultimate x64 to Window 7 Ultimate x64.
    Thanks.

___ -f.
    Friday, August 21, 2009 3:48 PM
  • I've just posted a continuation thread for us 63%ers with a few new observations. You can find it here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproinstall/thread/4ed7e497-6b79-4978-afb4-17d6b0a31e33
    Friday, August 21, 2009 4:56 PM
  • Hello Aardappel,
    Use this article to help locate the logs:
    Rollback phase

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/927521

• Proposed as answer by I Taylor Saturday, August 22, 2009 10:02 AM
    Friday, August 21, 2009 7:04 PM
  • Hello I Taylor,
    use this to help locate the logs
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/927521

Rollback phase location in the article
    Friday, August 21, 2009 7:06 PM
  • I called the upgrade "successful", despite the My Documents problem, but now I find my gadgets don't work. It's great that the sidebar is gone and I can have gadgets anywhere on the desktop, but they don't work so it's not much better...

I can't change any gadgets settings (or more accurately: I can change them, but the changes are reverted the moment I click "OK") and when I add a gadget, the most recent add always places the gadget in its default state in its default position and it can't be moved, or right clicked, nor does the mini-icon-bar come up when you hover over it; it also always stays on top.

I found a thread somewhere that recommend changing sidebar.exe ownership and permissions but it has had no effect.

Not impressed, I really thought Windows 7 was supposed to be better than Vista. So far the upgrade has been slow and bug-ridden and now everything is running it barely works.
    Friday, August 21, 2009 7:45 PM
  • Hi Darrell

Thanks for the link.  but I gave up and did a clean install. Took about 35 mins with no problems and went it online to get the 4 drivers it needed to update.

However, two new problems have cropped up. Apart from them, everything else (up to now) is running fine.

1. The PC won't power down on selecting either the restart or shut down.  It goes to the shutdown screen and stops.  After about 5 mins it hanges to a black screen but the power is still on.  I've changed all the power setting but it hasn't made any difference and I have to press the shut down button on case. There is nothing in the admin logs relating to not shutting down or any errors when shutting down.

2. Now and again, this shows up in the Event viewer system log:

The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:

Null

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    - <System>
      <Provider Name="Service Control Manager" Guid="{555908d1-a6d7-4695-8e1e-26931d2012f4}" EventSourceName="Service Control Manager" />
      <EventID Qualifiers="49152">7026</EventID>
      <Version>0</Version>
      <Level>2</Level>
      <Task>0</Task>
      <Opcode>0</Opcode>
      <Keywords>0x8080000000000000</Keywords>
      <TimeCreated SystemTime="2009-08-21T19:35:13.401367100Z" />
      <EventRecordID>1795</EventRecordID>
      <Correlation />
      <Execution ProcessID="480" ThreadID="484" />
      <Channel>System</Channel>
      <Computer>Headache</Computer>
      <Security />
      </System>
    - <EventData>
      <Data Name="param1">Null</Data>
      </EventData>
      </Event>

Saturday, August 22, 2009 10:13 AM
  • Hello I Taylor,
    Can you start a different thread on that problem?
    That is a different issue than a hang during an upgrade.
    Sunday, August 23, 2009 12:42 AM
  • OK, sorry.
    Sunday, August 23, 2009 8:27 AM
  • Hello I Taylor,
    Can you start a different thread on that problem?
    That is a different issue than a hang during an upgrade.

Darrell - is there a thread covering non-functional gadgets?
    Monday, August 24, 2009 8:08 AM
  • Hello Andy,
    I would post to the user interface forum, that would cover most shell issue which I would suspect this to be one.
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 12:22 AM
  • Darrell's workaround worked perfectly for my 62% hang, I am now happily on windows 7.
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 7:08 AM
  • I just stumbled over this thread. Out of 5 machines, the two on which I upgraded from the Win7 RC to Win7 did work, one from Vista x64 to Win 7 as well.
    Another PC has the 62% syndrom (from Vista 32 Bit to Win7, performed a clean install in the meantime), another one freezes at the early stage of transfering files, settings and programs without showing a number.
    Freezing in this context means, an open cmd prompt in which I run a batch to show the ongoing time (at last attempt) did autoclose after a while, keyboard and mouse no longer responding, rollback works as often tested. I already uninstalled the most applications and drivers on that system, cleaned out user data etc - but no chance.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, September 05, 2009 6:57 PM
  • i have the same problem. im running vista 32bit now and am trying to update to 7 32bit. i ran the advisor and everything looks good. when im updating its getting stuck on the 62%. i tried the workaround with no luck. this is my setuperr log:

2009-10-10 12:30:09, Error      [0x080654] MIG    Path not found for move target \\?\X:\ProgramData\Symantec\SRTSP\SrtETmp\282831A6.TMP; attempting to create it[gle=0x00000003]
    2009-10-10 12:30:09, Error      [0x080656] MIG    Failed to restore file \\?\X:\$INPLACE.~TR\Machine\DATA\ProgramData\Symantec\SRTSP\SrtETmp\282831A6.TMP to \\?\X:\ProgramData\Symantec\SRTSP\SrtETmp\282831A6.TMP[gle=0x00000003]
    2009-10-10 12:30:09, Error      [0x080654] MIG    Path not found for move target \\?\X:\ProgramData\Symantec\SRTSP\SrtETmp\B015ADFF.TMP; attempting to create it[gle=0x00000003]
    2009-10-10 12:30:09, Error      [0x080656] MIG    Failed to restore file \\?\X:\$INPLACE.~TR\Machine\DATA\ProgramData\Symantec\SRTSP\SrtETmp\B015ADFF.TMP to \\?\X:\ProgramData\Symantec\SRTSP\SrtETmp\B015ADFF.TMP[gle=0x00000003]
    2009-10-10 12:32:01, Error      [0x080654] MIG    Path not found for move target \\?\X:\$UPGRADE.~OS\OnlineUpgradeGatherWork\agentmgr\CCSIAgent\005A77AE\PowerMig.tmp; attempting to create it[gle=0x00000003]
    2009-10-10 12:32:01, Error      [0x080656] MIG    Failed to restore file \\?\X:\$INPLACE.~TR\Machine\DATA\$UPGRADE.~OS\OnlineUpgradeGatherWork\agentmgr\CCSIAgent\005A77AE\PowerMig.tmp to \\?\X:\$UPGRADE.~OS\OnlineUpgradeGatherWork\agentmgr\CCSIAgent\005A77AE\PowerMig.tmp[gle=0x00000003]
    2009-10-10 12:32:01, Error      [0x080654] MIG    Path not found for move target \\?\X:\$UPGRADE.~OS\OnlineUpgradeGatherWork\agentmgr\CCSIAgent\005A962D\00000000_Hardware; attempting to create it[gle=0x00000003]
    2009-10-10 12:32:01, Error      [0x080656] MIG    Failed to restore file \\?\X:\$INPLACE.~TR\Machine\DATA\$UPGRADE.~OS\OnlineUpgradeGatherWork\agentmgr\CCSIAgent\005A962D\00000000_Hardware to \\?\X:\$UPGRADE.~OS\OnlineUpgradeGatherWork\agentmgr\CCSIAgent\005A962D\00000000_Hardware[gle=0x00000003]
    2009-10-10 12:32:01, Error      [0x080654] MIG    Path not found for move target \\?\X:\$UPGRADE.~OS\OnlineUpgradeGatherWork\agentmgr\CCSIAgent\005A962D\00000000_Persist; attempting to create it[gle=0x00000003]
    2009-10-10 12:32:01, Error      [0x080656] MIG    Failed to restore file \\?\X:\$INPLACE.~TR\Machine\DATA\$UPGRADE.~OS\OnlineUpgradeGatherWork\agentmgr\CCSIAgent\005A962D\00000000_Persist to \\?\X:\$UPGRADE.~OS\OnlineUpgradeGatherWork\agentmgr\CCSIAgent\005A962D\00000000_Persist[gle=0x00000003]
    2009-10-10 12:32:01, Error      [0x080654] MIG    Path not found for move target \\?\X:\$UPGRADE.~OS\OnlineUpgradeGatherWork\agentmgr\CCSIAgent\005A962D\00000000_Service; attempting to create it[gle=0x00000003]
    2009-10-10 12:32:01, Error      [0x080656] MIG    Failed to restore file \\?\X:\$INPLACE.~TR\Machine\DATA\$UPGRADE.~OS\OnlineUpgradeGatherWork\agentmgr\CCSIAgent\005A962D\00000000_Service to \\?\X:\$UPGRADE.~OS\OnlineUpgradeGatherWork\agentmgr\CCSIAgent\005A962D\00000000_Service[gle=0x00000003]
    2009-10-10 12:32:01, Error      [0x080654] MIG    Path not found for move target \\?\X:\$UPGRADE.~OS\OnlineUpgradeGatherWork\agentmgr\CCSIAgent\005A962D\00000000_Software; attempting to create it[gle=0x00000003]
    2009-10-10 12:32:01, Error      [0x080656] MIG    Failed to restore file \\?\X:\$INPLACE.~TR\Machine\DATA\$UPGRADE.~OS\OnlineUpgradeGatherWork\agentmgr\CCSIAgent\005A962D\00000000_Software to \\?\X:\$UPGRADE.~OS\OnlineUpgradeGatherWork\agentmgr\CCSIAgent\005A962D\00000000_Software[gle=0x00000003]
    2009-10-10 12:32:01, Error      [0x080654] MIG    Path not found for move target \\?\X:\$UPGRADE.~OS\OnlineUpgradeGatherWork\agentmgr\CCSIAgent\005A962D\00000001_Hardware; attempting to create it[gle=0x00000003]
    2009-10-10 12:32:01, Error      [0x080656] MIG    Failed to restore file \\?\X:\$INPLACE.~TR\Machine\DATA\$UPGRADE.~OS\OnlineUpgradeGatherWork\agentmgr\CCSIAgent\005A962D\00000001_Hardware to \\?\X:\$UPGRADE.~OS\OnlineUpgradeGatherWork\agentmgr\CCSIAgent\005A962D\00000001_Hardware[gle=0x00000003]
    2009-10-10 12:32:01, Error      [0x080654] MIG    Path not found for move target \\?\X:\$UPGRADE.~OS\OnlineUpgradeGatherWork\agentmgr\CCSIAgent\005A962D\00000002_Hardware; attempting to create it[gle=0x00000003]
    2009-10-10 12:32:01, Error      [0x080656] MIG    Failed to restore file \\?\X:\$INPLACE.~TR\Machine\DATA\$UPGRADE.~OS\OnlineUpgradeGatherWork\agentmgr\CCSIAgent\005A962D\00000002_Hardware to \\?\X:\$UPGRADE.~OS\OnlineUpgradeGatherWork\agentmgr\CCSIAgent\005A962D\00000002_Hardware[gle=0x00000003]
    2009-10-10 12:32:01, Error      [0x080654] MIG    Path not found for move target \\?\X:\$UPGRADE.~OS\OnlineUpgradeGatherWork\agentmgr\CCSIAgent\005A962D\00000003_Hardware; attempting to create it[gle=0x00000003]
    2009-10-10 12:32:01, Error      [0x080656] MIG    Failed to restore file \\?\X:\$INPLACE.~TR\Machine\DATA\$UPGRADE.~OS\OnlineUpgradeGatherWork\agentmgr\CCSIAgent\005A962D\00000003_Hardware to \\?\X:\$UPGRADE.~OS\OnlineUpgradeGatherWork\agentmgr\CCSIAgent\005A962D\00000003_Hardware[gle=0x00000003]
    2009-10-10 12:32:01, Error      [0x080654] MIG    Path not found for move target \\?\X:\$UPGRADE.~OS\OnlineUpgradeGatherWork\agentmgr\CCSIAgent\005A962D\00000004_Hardware; attempting to create it[gle=0x00000003]
    2009-10-10 12:32:01, Error      [0x080656] MIG    Failed to restore file \\?\X:\$INPLACE.~TR\Machine\DATA\$UPGRADE.~OS\OnlineUpgradeGatherWork\agentmgr\CCSIAgent\005A962D\00000004_Hardware to \\?\X:\$UPGRADE.~OS\OnlineUpgradeGatherWork\agentmgr\CCSIAgent\005A962D\00000004_Hardware[gle=0x00000003]
    2009-10-10 12:32:01, Error      [0x080654] MIG    Path not found for move target \\?\X:\$UPGRADE.~OS\OnlineUpgradeGatherWork\agentmgr\CCSIAgent\005A962D\00000005_Hardware; attempting to create it[gle=0x00000003]
    2009-10-10 12:32:01, Error      [0x080656] MIG    Failed to restore file \\?\X:\$INPLACE.~TR\Machine\DATA\$UPGRADE.~OS\OnlineUpgradeGatherWork\agentmgr\CCSIAgent\005A962D\00000005_Hardware to \\?\X:\$UPGRADE.~OS\OnlineUpgradeGatherWork\agentmgr\CCSIAgent\005A962D\00000005_Hardware[gle=0x00000003]
    2009-10-10 12:32:01, Error      [0x080654] MIG    Path not found for move target \\?\X:\$UPGRADE.~OS\OnlineUpgradeGatherWork\agentmgr\CCSIAgent\005A962D\00000006_Hardware; attempting to create it[gle=0x00000003]
    2009-10-10 12:32:01, Error      [0x080656] MIG    Failed to restore file \\?\X:\$INPLACE.~TR\Machine\DATA\$UPGRADE.~OS\OnlineUpgradeGatherWork\agentmgr\CCSIAgent\005A962D\00000006_Hardware to \\?\X:\$UPGRADE.~OS\OnlineUpgradeGatherWork\agentmgr\CCSIAgent\005A962D\00000006_Hardware[gle=0x00000003]
    2009-10-10 12:32:01, Error      [0x080654] MIG    Path not found for move target \\?\X:\$UPGRADE.~OS\OnlineUpgradeGatherWork\agentmgr\CCSIAgent\005A962D\00000007_Hardware; attempting to create it[gle=0x00000003]
    2009-10-10 12:32:02, Error      [0x080656] MIG    Failed to restore file \\?\X:\$INPLACE.~TR\Machine\DATA\$UPGRADE.~OS\OnlineUpgradeGatherWork\agentmgr\CCSIAgent\005A962D\00000007_Hardware to \\?\X:\$UPGRADE.~OS\OnlineUpgradeGatherWork\agentmgr\CCSIAgent\005A962D\00000007_Hardware[gle=0x00000003]
    2009-10-10 12:32:02, Error      [0x080654] MIG    Path not found for move target \\?\X:\$UPGRADE.~OS\OnlineUpgradeGatherWork\agentmgr\CCSIAgent\005A962D\StorMigDB; attempting to create it[gle=0x00000003]
    2009-10-10 12:32:02, Error      [0x080656] MIG    Failed to restore file \\?\X:\$INPLACE.~TR\Machine\DATA\$UPGRADE.~OS\OnlineUpgradeGatherWork\agentmgr\CCSIAgent\005A962D\StorMigDB to \\?\X:\$UPGRADE.~OS\OnlineUpgradeGatherWork\agentmgr\CCSIAgent\005A962D\StorMigDB[gle=0x00000003]
    2009-10-10 12:32:02, Error      [0x080654] MIG    Path not found for move target \\?\X:\$UPGRADE.~OS\OnlineUpgradeGatherWork\agentmgr\CCSIAgent\005A962D\StorMigSettings; attempting to create it[gle=0x00000003]
    2009-10-10 12:32:02, Error      [0x080656] MIG    Failed to restore file \\?\X:\$INPLACE.~TR\Machine\DATA\$UPGRADE.~OS\OnlineUpgradeGatherWork\agentmgr\CCSIAgent\005A962D\StorMigSettings to \\?\X:\$UPGRADE.~OS\OnlineUpgradeGatherWork\agentmgr\CCSIAgent\005A962D\StorMigSettings[gle=0x00000003]
    2009-10-10 12:32:02, Error      [0x080654] MIG    Path not found for move target \\?\X:\$UPGRADE.~OS\OnlineUpgradeGatherWork\agentmgr\CCSIAgent\005AEAD9\MSDTC.LOG; attempting to create it[gle=0x00000003]
    2009-10-10 12:32:02, Error      [0x080656] MIG    Failed to restore file \\?\X:\$INPLACE.~TR\Machine\DATA\$UPGRADE.~OS\OnlineUpgradeGatherWork\agentmgr\CCSIAgent\005AEAD9\MSDTC.LOG to \\?\X:\$UPGRADE.~OS\OnlineUpgradeGatherWork\agentmgr\CCSIAgent\005AEAD9\MSDTC.LOG[gle=0x00000003]
    2009-10-10 12:32:02, Error      [0x080654] MIG    Path not found for move target \\?\X:\$UPGRADE.~OS\OnlineUpgradeGatherWork\agentmgr\CCSIAgent\005AF6C7\DEFAULT.FIL; attempting to create it[gle=0x00000003]
    2009-10-10 12:32:02, Error      [0x080656] MIG    Failed to restore file \\?\X:\$INPLACE.~TR\Machine\DATA\$UPGRADE.~OS\OnlineUpgradeGatherWork\agentmgr\CCSIAgent\005AF6C7\DEFAULT.FIL to \\?\X:\$UPGRADE.~OS\OnlineUpgradeGatherWork\agentmgr\CCSIAgent\005AF6C7\DEFAULT.FIL[gle=0x00000003]
    2009-10-10 12:32:02, Error      [0x080654] MIG    Path not found for move target \\?\X:\$UPGRADE.~OS\OnlineUpgradeGatherWork\agentmgr\CCSIAgent\005AF6C7\NTUSER.FIL; attempting to create it[gle=0x00000003]
    2009-10-10 12:32:02, Error      [0x080656] MIG    Failed to restore file \\?\X:\$INPLACE.~TR\Machine\DATA\$UPGRADE.~OS\OnlineUpgradeGatherWork\agentmgr\CCSIAgent\005AF6C7\NTUSER.FIL to \\?\X:\$UPGRADE.~OS\OnlineUpgradeGatherWork\agentmgr\CCSIAgent\005AF6C7\NTUSER.FIL[gle=0x00000003]

i looked up ccsiagent and it looks like its a my wireless card. i turned it off and disabled it in the computer management program. this did not help either. i have a hp laptop with a broadcom BCM94311MCG card. dont know what to do next. any help would be appreciated. thanks
    Saturday, October 10, 2009 10:05 PM
  • I did all of the suggested workarounds and checked my logs. Trying to upgrade from Vista Ultimate on XPPS M1710. The Event viewer created by the upgrade shows:

"The Diagnostic Service Host service failed to start due to the following error:
    A privilege that the service requires to function properly does not exist in the service account configuration. You may use the Services Microsoft Management Console (MMC) snap-in (services.msc) and the Local Security Settings MMC snap-in (secpol.msc) to view the service configuration and the account configuration."

After updating the Environment Variables and being stuck at 62% for almost 3 hrs., the upgrade log shows:

2009-10-16 03:51:45, Warning    [0x080b50] MIG    AsyncCallback_ApplyStatus: Progress appears to be stuck. Current progress: 62
    2009-10-16 04:06:46, Warning    [0x080b50] MIG    AsyncCallback_ApplyStatus: Progress appears to be stuck. Current progress: 62
    2009-10-16 04:17:53, FatalError [0x090001] PANTHR Exception (code 0xE06D7363: <unknown>) occurred at 0x754F9617 in C:\Windows\system32\KERNELBASE.dll (+00009617).  Minidump attached (68771 bytes).
    2009-10-16 04:21:47, Warning    [0x080b50] MIG    AsyncCallback_ApplyStatus: Progress appears to be stuck. Current progress: 62
    2009-10-16 04:22:47, Info                         Leaving UpgDoMigration method
    2009-10-16 04:22:47, Info                  PANTHR DeleteCriticalSection for pExecQueue->csLock;
    2009-10-16 04:22:47, Warning    [0x0900d8] PANTHR ExecQueue->csLock.DebugInfo is NULL.
    2009-10-16 04:22:47, Info       [0x0500bd] DU     Module_Term_DU called
    2009-10-16 04:22:47, Info       [0x050081] DU     WaitAndCleanUp DU...
    2009-10-16 04:22:47, Info       [0x0500a1] DU     Done with DU.. DUMgr is cleaning Up
    2009-10-16 04:22:47, Info       [0x050082] DU     Done with WaitAndCleanUp DU...
    2009-10-16 04:23:27, Warning    [0x080948] MIG    UpgHost: CMigPluginSurrogate::WaitForHostTermination: Parent process unexpectedly exited. Terminating host.
    2009-10-16 04:23:28, Info                  MIG    UpgHost: CMigPluginSurrogate::COMGenericThreadingHostThreadProc: Exiting ThreadID=[0xc88].
    2009-10-16 04:23:28, Info                  MIG    UpgHost: CMigPluginSurrogate::COMGenericThreadingHostThreadProc: Exiting ThreadID=[0xc3c].
    2009-10-16 04:23:28, Info                  MIG    UpgHost: CMigPluginSurrogate::COMGenericThreadingHostThreadProc: Exiting ThreadID=[0xc8c].
    2009-10-16 04:23:29, Info                  MIG    UpgHost: CMigPluginSurrogate::COMGenericThreadingHostThreadProc: Exiting ThreadID=[0xc4c].
    2009-10-16 04:23:29, Info                  MIG    UpgHost: CMigPluginSurrogate::COMGenericThreadingHostThreadProc: Exiting ThreadID=[0xd04].
    2009-10-16 04:23:29, Info                  MIG    UpgHost: CMigPluginSurrogate::COMGenericThreadingHostThreadProc: Exiting ThreadID=[0xcd4].
    2009-10-16 04:23:29, Info                  MIG    UpgHost: CMigPluginSurrogate::COMGenericThreadingHostThreadProc: Exiting ThreadID=[0xc6c].
    2009-10-16 04:23:29, Info                  MIG    UpgHost: CMigPluginSurrogate::COMGenericThreadingHostThreadProc: Exiting ThreadID=[0xd00].
    2009-10-16 04:23:29, Info                  MIG    UpgHost: CMigPluginSurrogate::COMGenericThreadingHostThreadProc: Exiting ThreadID=[0xc58].
    2009-10-16 04:23:29, Info                  MIG    UpgHost: CMigPluginSurrogate::COMGenericThreadingHostThreadProc: Exiting ThreadID=[0xcd0].
    2009-10-16 04:23:29, Info                  MIG    UpgHost: CMigPluginSurrogate::COMGenericThreadingHostThreadProc: Exiting ThreadID=[0xcdc].
    2009-10-16 04:23:29, Info                  MIG    UpgHost: CMigPluginSurrogate::COMGenericThreadingHostThreadProc: Exiting ThreadID=[0xc84].
    2009-10-16 04:23:29, Info                  MIG    UpgHost: CMigPluginSurrogate::COMGenericThreadingHostThreadProc: Exiting ThreadID=[0xc44].
    2009-10-16 04:23:29, Info                  MIG    UpgHost: CMigPluginSurrogate::COMGenericThreadingHostThreadProc: Exiting ThreadID=[0xcc8].
    2009-10-16 04:23:29, Info                  MIG    UpgHost: CMigPluginSurrogate::COMGenericThreadingHostThreadProc: Exiting ThreadID=[0xc50].
    2009-10-16 04:23:29, Info                  MIG    UpgHost: Exiting process.

Any suggestions for my 4th attempt?
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 3:00 PM
  • Hello,
    I haven't been tracking on the thread, so I may have missed a few post.
    Grab the setup logs
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 11:26 PM
  • A note that may help. I'm getting stuck at 62% also, but it's not really 62%. Based on the numbers people have been posting, as well as mine, there must be some kind of math glitch with the progress bar or something like that. All of these percentages are the same down to at least 5 decimal points of precision if you divide them out. I think that people who have a different number of files or something that don't end up hitting that magic number are probably OK. I haven't checked other posts and numbers regarding the 63% problem I've seen mentioned here, but it might be the same thing...

854142 of 1130077 = 0.75582637289317453589445674940734
    707443 of 935986  = 0.75582647603703474197263634285128
    271089 or 358665  = 0.75582786165363221948057379448789 (Mine)
    Friday, October 23, 2009 4:23 AM
  • I am having the same problem as everyone mentioned. Derrell's work around did not fix it.

I am running Vista Home Premium 32 Bit trying to upgrade to Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit.

I am lost for ideas but very frustrated with the face that i have purchased this and spent > 8 hours so far and still no progress.... How is it possible for this to happen? These bugs should have been worked out prior to the release.

Friday, October 23, 2009 4:06 PM
  • Hello greggood,
    Did you send me the logs or put them at a location so I can retrieve them?
    Friday, October 23, 2009 4:52 PM
  • Hello Bryan9,
    Did you send me the logs or put them at a location so I can retrieve them?
    Friday, October 23, 2009 4:52 PM
  • Hi Darrell,

How can i get the logs ?
    Friday, October 23, 2009 6:00 PM
  • Hello Bryan9,
    Does this help? if you are in in setup you should be able to use the Shift-F10.
    If you have rolled back you are at the rollback to Windows Phase in the article listed below.
    Friday, October 23, 2009 7:42 PM
  • Hi Thanks for the info how do I access the setupact.log?
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 2:22 PM
  • I have similar upgrade freezing issue. Both my wifes computer and mine are identical hardware-wise except her hard drive is a Western Digital Caviar Green and mine is a Western Digital Caviar Black. The upgrade process worked perfectly on hers. On mine however, it gets to the last step where it says "Transferring files settings and programs" and then it reboots (like my wifes did) and once it gets back into the installation it hangs.

I can still move the mouse and the keyboard is responsive, but the hard drive activity light eventually stops and the installation never progresses. It does this before it even starts showing the Percentage complete, like it is still initializing the step. I even let it run over night and still no progress.

I already removed a few programs from my computer before running the upgrade that didn't quite work on my wifes computer. These would include Logmein (would not see the internet connection) and HP printer software (would not start at all). 

My next step is to get it to revert back to Vista, and start removing some programs that are not on my wifes computer and looking at the services that are running...

If anyone knows what could be causing this please fill me in.

By the way I'm upgrading Vista Home Premium 64bit to Windows 7 Premium 64bit.
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 6:10 PM
  • Despair not
    I had exactly the same problem upgrading from 32 bit. I had to do  four rollbacks to vista before I found the article below. It worked first time

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/10/28/windows-7-installation-fails-and-hangs-at-62-when-upgrade-from-vista/

Beware it still took 12 hours and at times there was no disk activity. It rebooted at 62% which worried me but after a good while it continued to install.

I have to say the angst was worth it in the end.

Windows 7 is FANTASTIC compared with Vista.
    Tim
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 11:50 AM
  • Hi all,

I was experaincing the same stuck at 62% problem but the iphlpsvc wasnt causing the problem when i checked my logs. on my 3rd upgrade attempt i tried a shutdown from the command prompt using the "Shutdown" command rather than the power button and the installer told me it was shutting down and then resarted and carried on where it left off with no further problems.

While this may well have been blind luck on my part i figured if you have reached the point of doing another shutdown and vista recovery its worth a go..

Thursday, October 29, 2009 5:07 PM
  • I'm stuck at 41%, but that because of the # of files in my desktop PC. It's been trying to transfer something for more than 5 hours. I'm going to let it go all night, but I have little hope it will work. I'll let everyone I know know about this. This is abasolutely unacceptable. Microsoft, the most powerful software company on earth, should know better. Shame on them!

I'm a Windows/ASP.NET developer and that's how I support myself and my family. But, I'll tell you one thing: when I upgraded my Mac OS, I did not have any problem whatsoever.

Willy
    Willy
    Sunday, November 01, 2009 4:23 AM
  • I just went thru this MSFT suggested selecting the advanced setup option it keeps your files intact but removes everything else.
    Sunday, November 01, 2009 9:46 PM
  • I would like to add that I did not have to delete a "Boot" drive but I did this:

I am running an HP Pavilion dv5 AMD Vista SP2 64-bit upgrading to Windows 7 64-bit

MY Issue:
    My first attempt at installing Windows 7 Upgrade (disk purchased from BestBuy) failed. On my next upgrade attempt, execution of Windows 7 setup.exe "stopped working" and was throwing errors in the Vista Event Viewer (found in Administrator tools).

Assumption: You already have your Vista backup.

To troubleshoot my failed upgrade attempt and to then execute another Upgrade attempt, I did the following:

Clean up previous failed install:
    1) Remove directories created during the failed upgrade. They may be found in Start and/or on c:/ drive. I had 3 directories starting with something similar to $WIN_OS, $WIN_UPDATE... check the Date Modified for the Directories (you will see the date of your initial upgrade attempt).  You may need to drill all the way down to the last one or two sub-directories to then delete (due to the path or file name being too long error thrown by Vista). In my case, I had repeated sub-directories (I think bc of my repeated failed upgrade attempts) therefore making the need to drill all the way down to delete. I moved up one sub-directory the very last file then copied it to my desktop and then deleted it. Oh what fun. Then keep move up each sub-directory and continue with your deletions.
    2) Clear Recycle Bin.
    3) Run a Registry Cleaner tool. A good one I use is Auslogics that I downloaded from Cnet-
    http://download.cnet.com/Auslogics-Registry-Cleaner/3000-2094_4-10909814.html

Run upgrade attempt #2:
    1) Run the Windows Advisor Tool.
    2) Delete the suggested uninstall Programs through Control panel/Programs. Do not worry about the ones that do not mention uninstall.
    3) THIS IS IMPORTANT: Run the Windows Updater from Microsoft.
    4) Run the Registry Cleaner (Best to be extra clean at this point).
    5) Remove Upgrade disk.
    6) Reboot
    7) Insert the Upgrade disk to run Upgrade.
    Wednesday, November 04, 2009 4:37 PM
  • Thanks for your answer as it was spot on!  My upgrade had run for over 18 hours twoce with no success.  Could not find an answer until I searched on the net about the percentage and found your solution. I applied the "fix" and the install took 1 hour and 15 minutes.  Frustration over!
    What really suprises me is that the answer was over 2 months old and Dell never stated any issues on their site with the upgrade.  Thanks again for the correct solution.

Bill L

PS Machine was a Dell 730X, 6gb memory and quad i7 processor.
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 6:24 PM
  • I was upgrading to windows 7 from XP and like many others I found myself also stuck at 62%. After about an hour of not moving I found this thread and thought I was going to have to power down and recover the install.

However!! I was using a USB network adapter and a USB mouse (the pad on my HP Pavillion DV6 2150 US went to helll) and I decided to simply remove all the USB devices and sure enough within a minute the install rebooted and resumed at 63%.

A beautiful, simple fix & now I am back in windows 7.

Friday, January 20, 2012 2:52 AM
  • I'm having the same 62% problem as many before me, in the log I find the entry: 2012-02-01 03:49:06, Warning [0x080b50] MIG AsyncCallback_ApplyStatus: Progress appears to be stuck. Current progress: 62 According to some postings the sollution would be to install the SM FixIt program or manually change the MIG_UPGRADE_IGNORE_PLUGINS to IphlpsvcMigPlugin.dll. This this not solve my problem, I tried 5 times to perform the upgrade, everytime removing more 3rd party SW. Nothing seems to help. Could use some help.
    Wednesday, February 01, 2012 9:13 PM
  • Hello,

What is in the log prior to Warning messages?

Either post a link to log file or post 20-25 lines prior to the async messages

Thanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. VAMT - Volume Activation Management Tool - Download link http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ec7156d2-2864-49ee-bfcb-777b898ad582&displaylang=en
    Thursday, February 02, 2012 1:49 AM
  • Darell,

The last few 100 lines before this section are all RemoveEmptyDirs lines.  Hope this info is usefull.

2012-02-01 03:48:42, Info       [0x080657] MIG    RemoveEmptyDirs: found file C:\$INPLACE.~TR\Machine\DATA\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\nl-NL\about_trap.help.txt
    2012-02-01 03:48:42, Info       [0x080657] MIG    RemoveEmptyDirs: found file C:\$INPLACE.~TR\Machine\DATA\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\nl-NL\about_try_catch_finally.help.txt
    2012-02-01 03:48:42, Info       [0x080657] MIG    RemoveEmptyDirs: found file C:\$INPLACE.~TR\Machine\DATA\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\nl-NL\about_types.ps1xml.help.txt
    2012-02-01 03:48:42, Info       [0x080657] MIG    RemoveEmptyDirs: found file C:\$INPLACE.~TR\Machine\DATA\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\nl-NL\about_type_operators.help.txt
    2012-02-01 03:48:42, Info       [0x080657] MIG    RemoveEmptyDirs: found file C:\$INPLACE.~TR\Machine\DATA\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\nl-NL\about_Variables.help.txt
    2012-02-01 03:48:42, Info       [0x080657] MIG    RemoveEmptyDirs: found file C:\$INPLACE.~TR\Machine\DATA\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\nl-NL\about_wildcards.help.txt
    2012-02-01 03:48:42, Info       [0x080657] MIG    RemoveEmptyDirs: found file C:\$INPLACE.~TR\Machine\DATA\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\nl-NL\about_Windows_PowerShell_2.0.help.txt
    2012-02-01 03:48:42, Info       [0x080657] MIG    RemoveEmptyDirs: found file C:\$INPLACE.~TR\Machine\DATA\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\nl-NL\about_Windows_PowerShell_ISE.help.txt
    2012-02-01 03:48:42, Info       [0x080657] MIG    RemoveEmptyDirs: found file C:\$INPLACE.~TR\Machine\DATA\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\nl-NL\about_WMI_Cmdlets.help.txt
    2012-02-01 03:48:42, Info       [0x080657] MIG    RemoveEmptyDirs: found file C:\$INPLACE.~TR\Machine\DATA\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\nl-NL\about_WS-Management_Cmdlets.help.txt
    2012-02-01 03:48:42, Info       [0x080657] MIG    RemoveEmptyDirs: found file C:\$INPLACE.~TR\Machine\DATA\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\nl-NL\ImportAllModules.psd1
    2012-02-01 03:48:42, Info       [0x080657] MIG    RemoveEmptyDirs: found file C:\$INPLACE.~TR\Machine\DATA\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\nl-NL\Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.Diagnostics.dll-Help.xml
    2012-02-01 03:48:42, Info       [0x080657] MIG    RemoveEmptyDirs: found file C:\$INPLACE.~TR\Machine\DATA\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\nl-NL\Microsoft.Wsman.Management.dll-Help.xml
    2012-02-01 03:48:42, Info       [0x080657] MIG    RemoveEmptyDirs: found file C:\$INPLACE.~TR\Machine\DATA\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\nl-NL\powershell_ise.resources.dll
    2012-02-01 03:48:42, Info       [0x080657] MIG    RemoveEmptyDirs: found file C:\$INPLACE.~TR\Machine\DATA\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\nl-NL\PSEvents.dll.mui
    2012-02-01 03:48:42, Info       [0x080657] MIG    RemoveEmptyDirs: found file C:\$INPLACE.~TR\Machine\DATA\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\nl-NL\pspluginwkr.dll.mui
    2012-02-01 03:48:42, Info       [0x080657] MIG    RemoveEmptyDirs: found file C:\$INPLACE.~TR\Machine\DATA\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell_ise.exe
    2012-02-01 03:48:42, Info       [0x080657] MIG    RemoveEmptyDirs: found file C:\$INPLACE.~TR\Machine\DATA\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\PSEvents.dll
    2012-02-01 03:48:42, Info       [0x080657] MIG    RemoveEmptyDirs: found file C:\$INPLACE.~TR\Machine\DATA\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\pspluginwkr.dll
    2012-02-01 03:48:42, Info       [0x080657] MIG    RemoveEmptyDirs: found file C:\$INPLACE.~TR\Machine\DATA\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\WSMan.Format.ps1xml
    2012-02-01 03:48:42, Info       [0x080657] MIG    RemoveEmptyDirs: found file C:\$INPLACE.~TR\Machine\DATA\Windows\System32\wsmanconfig_schema.xml
    2012-02-01 03:48:42, Info       [0x080657] MIG    RemoveEmptyDirs: found file C:\$INPLACE.~TR\Machine\DATA\Windows\System32\wsmplpxy.dll
    2012-02-01 03:48:42, Info       [0x080657] MIG    RemoveEmptyDirs: found file C:\$INPLACE.~TR\Machine\DATA\Windows\System32\wsmprovhost.exe
    2012-02-01 03:48:42, Info       [0x080657] MIG    RemoveEmptyDirs: found file C:\$INPLACE.~TR\Machine\DATA\Windows\System32\XpsGdiConverter.dll
    2012-02-01 03:48:42, Info       [0x080657] MIG    RemoveEmptyDirs: found file C:\$INPLACE.~TR\Machine\DATA\Windows\System32\XpsPrint.dll
    2012-02-01 03:48:42, Info       [0x080657] MIG    RemoveEmptyDirs: found file C:\$INPLACE.~TR\Machine\DATA\Windows\System32\XpsRasterService.dll
    2012-02-01 03:48:42, Info       [0x080657] MIG    RemoveEmptyDirs: found file C:\$INPLACE.~TR\Machine\DATA\Windows\System32\xpsservices.dll
    2012-02-01 03:48:42, Warning    [0x08065b] MIG    Finished cleaning up store C:\$INPLACE.~TR\Machine; some directories could not be removed
    2012-02-01 03:48:42, Info       [0x080659] MIG    Cleaning up store D:\$INPLACE.~TR\Machine
    2012-02-01 03:49:03, Info       [0x08065a] MIG    Finished cleaning up store D:\$INPLACE.~TR\Machine; succeeded
    2012-02-01 03:49:06, Warning    [0x080b50] MIG    AsyncCallback_ApplyStatus: Progress appears to be stuck. Current progress: 62
    2012-02-01 03:49:13, Info       [0x080658] MIG    Nothing to clean up; E:\$INPLACE.~TR\Machine does not exist
    2012-02-01 03:49:13, Info       [0x080279] MIG    Completed shutdown of in-place filesystem manager.
    2012-02-01 03:49:13, Info       [0x0803e6] MIG    Removing mapping for HKLM

Thursday, February 02, 2012 6:41 PM
  • Hello,

You have different problem than the migration plugin issue referenced above.

This message by itself:

Warning [0x080b50] MIG AsyncCallback_ApplyStatus: Progress appears to be stuck. Current progress: 62

IS only warning that whatever it is doing is taking a long time this line continues to repeat if the machine is still having the same issue, your log file indicates it moved on past that work item.

The 62% is just an indicator, it doesn't always mean that the same work item is happening, just the estimate of the work to get done.

Is this the end of the log?

I would disconnect any networking or even disable any netcards for the upgrade to see if it improves.

How much content Media related, ( Music, Movies, Pictures ) do you have?  Size and or number of files?

I have seen delays for a long time with a large numbers here but eventially it continues?

How long have you waited at this stage? How many hours, roughly?

Thanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. VAMT - Volume Activation Management Tool - Download link http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ec7156d2-2864-49ee-bfcb-777b898ad582&displaylang=en
    Friday, February 03, 2012 12:02 AM
  • Darrell,

Thanks for the support. After your message I removed a lot of media (tons of photo's) from my system to my NAS and disconnected the NAS. Overnight I did another upgrade but this failed again after 5 hours. The good news is that the 62% message is no longer in the log, so Iguess this is progres, I found some other warning:

2012-02-04 03:18:02, Warning    [0x0809c2] MIG    COutOfProcPluginFactory::CreateInstance: Plugin "C:\Windows\system32\migration\IphlpsvcMigPlugin.dll" is excluded from migration.
    2012-02-04 03:18:02, Warning    [0x080386] MIG    Failure while instantiating IPostApply for Plugin={ServerPath="%windir%\system32\migration\IphlpsvcMigPlugin.dll", CLSID={ade10465-2a43-454e-b0a7-3f220a61bd03}, ThreadingModel=Apartment}. Error: 0x80004005
    2012-02-04 03:18:02, Info       [0x08072e] MIG    Calling IPostApply::PostApply for Plugin={ServerPath="%SystemRoot%\system32\migration\gameuxmig.dll", CLSID={2e7583c7-7eba-4a1a-8468-d03d28477e6f}, ThreadingModel=Apartment}, UserContext: Gast
    2012-02-04 03:18:02, Info                  MIG    IPostApply::PostApply for Plugin={ServerPath="%SystemRoot%\system32\migration\gameuxmig.dll", CLSID={2e7583c7-7eba-4a1a-8468-d03d28477e6f}, ThreadingModel=Apartment} - Working directory: C:\$UPGRADE.~OS\OnlineUpgradeApplyWork\srcworking\agentmgr\CCSIAgent\005AAF8E\USER00000002
    2012-02-04 03:18:02, Info       [0x08072f] MIG    IPostApply::PostApply succeeded for Plugin={ServerPath="%SystemRoot%\system32\migration\gameuxmig.dll", CLSID={2e7583c7-7eba-4a1a-8468-d03d28477e6f}, ThreadingModel=Apartment}
    2012-02-04 03:18:02, Info       [0x08072e] MIG    Calling IPostApply::PostApply for Plugin={ServerPath="%windir%\system32\migration\nlscoremig.dll", CLSID={36af497c-c440-4282-a59e-02ed63498b7c}, ThreadingModel=Apartment}, UserContext: Gast
    2012-02-04 03:18:02, Info                  MIG    IPostApply::PostApply for Plugin={ServerPath="%windir%\system32\migration\nlscoremig.dll", CLSID={36af497c-c440-4282-a59e-02ed63498b7c}, ThreadingModel=Apartment} - Working directory: C:\$UPGRADE.~OS\OnlineUpgradeApplyWork\srcworking\agentmgr\CCSIAgent\005AF6C7\USER00000002
    2012-02-04 03:18:02, Info       [0x08072f] MIG    IPostApply::PostApply succeeded for Plugin={ServerPath="%windir%\system32\migration\nlscoremig.dll", CLSID={36af497c-c440-4282-a59e-02ed63498b7c}, ThreadingModel=Apartment}
    2012-02-04 03:18:02, Info       [0x0803e6] MIG    Removing mapping for HKCU\Software\Classes
    2012-02-04 03:18:02, Info       [0x0803e7] MIG    Successfully unmapped HKCU\Software\Classes
    2012-02-04 03:18:02, Info       [0x0803e6] MIG    Removing mapping for HKCU
    2012-02-04 03:18:02, Info       [0x0803e7] MIG    Successfully unmapped HKCU
    2012-02-04 03:18:02, Info       [0x080411] MIG    Setting SMI registry mappings for system context
    2012-02-04 03:18:02, Info       [0x0803e2] MIG    Adding indirect mapping from HKCU to <C:\Users\UpdatusUser\NTUSER.DAT> loaded at HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-2647073938-1797494084-4242173843-1002 (R/W)
    2012-02-04 03:18:02, Info       [0x0803e4] MIG    Successfully mapped HKCU
    2012-02-04 03:18:02, Info       [0x0803e2] MIG    Adding indirect mapping from HKCU\Software\Classes to <C:\Users\UpdatusUser\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat> loaded at HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-2647073938-1797494084-4242173843-1002_Classes (R/W)
    2012-02-04 03:18:02, Info       [0x0803e4] MIG    Successfully mapped HKCU\Software\Classes
    2012-02-04 03:18:02, Info       [0x08040f] MIG    Setting SMI registry mappings for user context (HKU\S-1-5-21-2647073938-1797494084-4242173843-1002, HKU\S-1-5-21-2647073938-1797494084-4242173843-1002_Classes)
    2012-02-04 03:18:02, Info       [0x080738] MIG    Calling IPostApply::PerUserSupport for Plugin={ServerPath="%windir%\system32\migration\IphlpsvcMigPlugin.dll", CLSID={ade10465-2a43-454e-b0a7-3f220a61bd03}, ThreadingModel=Apartment}
    2012-02-04 03:18:02, Warning    [0x0809c2] MIG    COutOfProcPluginFactory::CreateInstance: Plugin "C:\Windows\system32\migration\IphlpsvcMigPlugin.dll" is excluded from migration.
    2012-02-04 03:18:02, Warning    [0x080386] MIG    Failure while instantiating IPostApply for Plugin={ServerPath="%windir%\system32\migration\IphlpsvcMigPlugin.dll", CLSID={ade10465-2a43-454e-b0a7-3f220a61bd03}, ThreadingModel=Apartment}. Error: 0x80004005

Although this is probably a wanted result I can remove the MIG_UPGRADE_IGNORE_PLUGINS entry from the Environment Variables and start again.

The last part of the log is:

2012-02-04 03:19:24, Info                  MIG    Opened service key for ControlSet002
    2012-02-04 03:19:24, Info                  MIG    Set Start type to 4 for Netprofm in ControlSet002
    2012-02-04 03:19:24, Info                  MIG    Start of service Netprofm deferred
    2012-02-04 03:19:24, Info                  MIG    UpgApply: Restoring from (C:\$UPGRADE.~OS\OnlineUpgradeStore) finished.
    2012-02-04 03:19:24, Info                  MIG    Upgrade progress (MigApplyStatus): finished
    2012-02-04 03:19:24, Info       [0x0a0024] UI     progress task ProgressInfo\MigMachineApply : EndProgress
    2012-02-04 03:19:24, Info       [0x08059e] MIG    Leaving Callback_ApplyNewSysMachineSpecific (success)
    2012-02-04 03:19:24, Info                  MIG    Entering Callback_FirstBoot_Upgrade_Done
    2012-02-04 03:19:24, Info       [0x0806e5] MIG    Entering Callback_Rollback_PrepareForReboot
    2012-02-04 03:19:24, Info                  IBSLIB ToggleRollbackBootEntryAsDefault: Successfully set default boot entry to [Setup]
    2012-02-04 03:19:24, Info       [0x0806e6] MIG    Leaving Callback_Rollback_PrepareForReboot (success)
    2012-02-04 03:19:24, Info       [0x0900c6] PANTHR SEQ EVENT_SERIALIZE Received
    2012-02-04 03:19:24, Info       [0x0900b7] PANTHR SerializeToFile: C:\Windows\Panther\MainQueueOnline2.que
    2012-02-04 03:19:24, Info       [0x0900b8] PANTHR Saving Main Event Queue
    2012-02-04 03:19:24, Info       [0x0900b9] PANTHR Saving Permanent Event Queue
    2012-02-04 03:19:24, Info       [0x0900c5] PANTHR Queue Serialization Succeeded
    2012-02-04 03:19:24, Info                  UI     CallbackShowFinishOnline: Enter
    2012-02-04 03:19:24, Info                  UI     CallbackShowFinishOnline: Exit
    2012-02-04 03:19:24, Info       [0x090095] PANTHR WdsExitImmediate called!  Execution will stop, and the queue won't be saved.
    2012-02-04 03:19:24, Info       [0x060357] IBS    CallBack_RestartSetup:Successfully set all the restart parameters.
    2012-02-04 03:19:24, Info                  MIG    Leaving Callback_FirstBoot_Upgrade_Done (success)
    2012-02-04 03:19:24, Info       [0x09008c] PANTHR SeqExecute -- stopping, since WdsExitImmediate() was called
    2012-02-04 03:19:24, Info       [0x090086] PANTHR pWorkerThreadFunc -- Stopping
    2012-02-04 03:19:24, Info                  PANTHR DeleteCriticalSection for pExecQueue->csLock;
    2012-02-04 03:19:24, Info       [0x0500bd] DU     Module_Term_DU called
    2012-02-04 03:19:24, Info       [0x050081] DU     WaitAndCleanUp DU...
    2012-02-04 03:19:24, Info       [0x0500a1] DU     Done with DU.. DUMgr is cleaning Up
    2012-02-04 03:19:24, Info       [0x050082] DU     Done with WaitAndCleanUp DU...
    2012-02-04 03:19:24, Info                  UI     CallbackWin32UITerminate: Deleted WizardUI
    2012-02-04 03:19:24, Info       [0x0605a6] IBS    Requested UI to hide the language and locale selection pages.
    2012-02-04 03:19:24, Info       [0x06010d] IBS    Module_Term_Productkey: Valid product key in blackboard, show property set to hide.
    2012-02-04 03:19:25, Info       [0x090081] PANTHR Destroying any unreferenced modules! (SEQ6)
    2012-02-04 03:19:25, Info       [0x0601d8] IBS    InstallWindows:Restarting machine.
    2012-02-04 03:19:25, Info       [0x0601e0] IBS    InstallWindows:Restarting machine during first boot phase.
    2012-02-04 03:19:25, Info       [0x090009] PANTHR CBlackboard::Close: c:\windows\panther\setupinfo.

Any idea's?

Saturday, February 04, 2012 8:57 AM
  • Well I tried another few upgrades, unistalling a few 3rd party sw's. No luck, frustrating.

Guess this is the last time I payed for a legal MS upgrade. Pay a lot of money, it doens't work, doesn't give a clue why it doesn't work and no support from MS. 

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 5:03 PM
  • I didn't go back and read everything carefully, but assuming you're trying to upgrade Vista to Windows 7, while I agree it should work, I just want to say this:

You seem to be working AWFULLY hard to try to do something that may not be the best thing to do.

It's better to install Windows 7 afresh, not as an upgrade.  As a fresh install, you do away with all the latent problems on your Vista system, and also you don't chance that unanticipated things installed into Vista and which are left running after the upgrade will be incompatible and cause you ongoing problems.

In short:  If at all possible, do a fresh Windows 7 install.  It's the best thing.

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my new eBook: Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options

• Edited by Noel Carboni Wednesday, February 15, 2012 7:24 PM clarified wording
    Wednesday, February 15, 2012 7:23 PM
  • I didn't go back and read everything carefully, but assuming you're trying to upgrade Vista to Windows 7, while I agree it should work, I just want to say this:

You seem to be working AWFULLY hard to try to do something that may not be the best thing to do.

It's better to install Windows 7 afresh, not as an upgrade.  As a fresh install, you do away with all the latent problems on your Vista system, and also you don't chance that unanticipated things installed into Vista and which are left running after the upgrade will be incompatible and cause you ongoing problems.

In short:  If at all possible, do a fresh Windows 7 install.  It's the best thing.

-Noel

IOW, "You're holding it wrong". With all of the software I have installed it takes a good day or two to re-install and reconfigure everything before I can get working again. I can't image how corporations with thousands of employee deal with it other than to let W7 trickle in on new PCs.

Yapu, I dunno if it's in this thread or the sister thread like it but the fix for me was simply leave the PC disconnected from the network during the upgrade -- no wired or WiFi.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 7:42 PM
  • That's a good way to think about it, DeathByVisualStudio (and I love your handle).

On the machines I have used as my main workstation since 2005, I've installed Windows XP x64, Vista x64, and Windows 7 x64 afresh exactly once each, and used the daylights out of them..

My point is this:  An upgraded install could take longer to get through all at once, but it may (no, make that WILL) give you problems down the line costing you time incrementally over and over and over again.  By contrast, starting afresh brings along none of the baggage you accumulated on your prior system.  It also gives you the opportunity to re-evaluate whether you really NEED to reinstall this or that old program, and it prompts you to go see if maybe a newer, better version (or even alternate solution) is available - which is often the case.  Some decisions DO need revisiting from time to time.

Think about why you're installing a new operating system...  You want better features and performance, right?  How can you achieve all that without shedding the shackles of what you had before?

-Noel

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 8:00 PM