What will happen to Windows XP activation after April 2014?

Question

• It's not news that Microsoft will discontinue support for Windows XP in 2014, but I've found no clear answer whether activation of Windows XP will still be possible. Back in old days, I've purchased quite a few boxes of Windows XP, and still a few unboxed now.

I know it's an old OS and Microsoft no longer supports it, but if I choose to use it on my very old computer just to have fun, despite all the security risks, will the product key still work the way it's meant to be? Will I still be possible to activate my copy after 2014?

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 3:50 AM

Answers

• Product activation will continue indefinitely for genuine Windows XP licenses.  Only the developement of new Windows XP updates and the availability of any support will cease after April 8, 2014.

Carey Frisch

• Marked as answer by Templand Tuesday, August 21, 2012 9:49 AM
    Tuesday, August 21, 2012 6:27 AM

All replies

• Product activation will continue indefinitely for genuine Windows XP licenses.  Only the developement of new Windows XP updates and the availability of any support will cease after April 8, 2014.

Carey Frisch

• Marked as answer by Templand Tuesday, August 21, 2012 9:49 AM
    Tuesday, August 21, 2012 6:27 AM
  • Are you telling the truth.  I think Microsoft will not let us activate our XP machines after April 2014.
    Monday, June 10, 2013 4:32 AM
  • I agree. I have contacted Microsoft many times about this and they will not answer my question. All they do is direct you to Windows 8.1 upgrade page. They are hiding something. We all have so much to lose if we cannot activate our XP products and they know this. We are simply being bullied into upgrades  and new machines. I knew a long time ago that all this online and phone activation nonsense would cause trouble!
    Monday, December 16, 2013 11:58 PM
  • Once an XP install is activated, it is activated.  There are thousands of XP machines that are running without any connection to the outside world whatsoever.  They will not magically deactivate in April.  No one is "hiding something", that is simply paranoid thinking.  The only thing that is going away is the development of future XP releases and patches of any kind.  Even if you have a brand new never activated version, it will install and activate just fine.  The reason why they won't answer your question is probably because they don't know the answer because they are not technical contacts.

Please do not read this sentence. Please ignore the previous sentence.

Tuesday, December 17, 2013 4:25 PM
  • the updates security that is are really not the issue if you need the latest ones look here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/913086

download em  install em directly from the folders apply a firewall external antivirus and your singing I know some product wont run on xp because of discontinuation  but between you and me vista had troubles 7 and 8 are still having trouble xp still seems to work better than all the rest

Thursday, December 26, 2013 8:28 AM
  • I have spoke to two MS support people (chat and on the phone) though they didn't seem so sure about thier answer they stated that I would NOT be able to activate XP (via phone) after April 2014.
    Tuesday, January 14, 2014 8:37 PM
  • Level one support people are nothing more than script readers.  They have no idea about any detailed information regarding activations.  And besides...if your XP install is activated now, there is no need to activate it in the future.  They will not suddenly become invalid installs.  This is all nothing but paranoid delusions and uneducated ranting.

Tuesday, January 14, 2014 8:41 PM

• An existing XP installation WILL become invalid if you have to change the configuration of the hardware it is running on. If you have to change any of these:

1. Display Adapter
    2. SCSI Adapter
    3. IDE Adapter (effectively the motherboard)
    4. Network Adapter (NIC) and its MAC Address
    5. RAM Amount Range (i.e., 0-64mb, 64-128mb, etc.)
    6. Processor Type
    7. Processor Serial Number
    8. Hard Drive Device
    9. Hard Drive Volume Serial Number (VSN)
    10. CD-ROM / CD-RW / DVD-ROM

we WILL need to re-activate.  Many of us have users with software that will not run on newer Windows releases and have no desire to upgrade.

This is a valid concern.
    Friday, February 07, 2014 11:06 PM
  • Yes, it will become invalid and require another activation.  BUT that activation WILL WORK as long as the OS is legal and licensed to be used on the new hardware.  If it is an OEM install, you cannot change the motherboard and expect it to work.  This is true for all OEM Windows - XP, Vista, 7 and 8.  They are NOT taking away the ability to activate Windows XP.

• Proposed as answer by derek19 Tuesday, March 25, 2014 8:50 PM
    Monday, February 10, 2014 6:16 PM
  • I would be very cautious about ordering any OS from a weebly based business website.  It is likely that the OS would be non-Genuine.  In order to confirm you are getting a verified Genuine OS, you should purchase only from a known legitimate source (and to be clear - Ebay, Craigslist and 3rd party Amazon vendors ARE NOT legitimate sources!).  Newegg is one such source.  You may pay less from the unknown site initially but when it turns up as non-Genuine, you will have to not only purchase a valid OS from a legal source, but you will have to reformat your drive and perform a clean install.

Tuesday, March 25, 2014 9:07 PM