none
Windows 7 / ODBC Data Source Administrator

Question

• I noticed that Windows 7 still uses the Windows 3.1 dialog box for selecting database with ODBC Microsoft Access Setup, not the easiest to use now that we have filenames longer than 8 characters.

Can Microsoft add this to bug list fix as the old dialog box here from Windows 3.1 brings back memories, but it can be very difficult to select databases with long file names from this tiny file browser.

To see what I'm talking about:

1. Open the app ODBC Data Source Administrator in Windows 7 (search ODBC from Start Menu).
    2. Under User DSN tab, click the Add... button.
    3. In the Create New Data Source dialog select Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb), click Finish button.
    4. A new dialog box opens, called ODBC Microsoft Access Setup, now click Select button to select database, notice the Windows 3.1 browse box to find the database.

It works but needs to be fixed and updated with new Windows file browser system.
    Wednesday, August 19, 2009 1:37 PM

Answers

• Hi LukeJR,

Regarding on the ODBC Microsoft Access Driver datasource configuration UI, I've tested it it according to your description. Yes, the file browsing dialog still use the old one which may cause some inconvenience for long pathname files. I think the behavior is likely due to most of the ODBC component drivers are moved from former OS without changes so the configure UI also remains. But I do think your suggestion is very good and reasonable. I would also suggeste you post the feedback to the connect site:

https://connect.microsoft.com/directory/

under some windows opeating system or data access component categories.
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    • Marked as answer by LukeJR Friday, August 21, 2009 9:28 AM
    Friday, August 21, 2009 7:48 AM

All replies

• Hi LukeJR,

Regarding on the ODBC Microsoft Access Driver datasource configuration UI, I've tested it it according to your description. Yes, the file browsing dialog still use the old one which may cause some inconvenience for long pathname files. I think the behavior is likely due to most of the ODBC component drivers are moved from former OS without changes so the configure UI also remains. But I do think your suggestion is very good and reasonable. I would also suggeste you post the feedback to the connect site:

https://connect.microsoft.com/directory/

under some windows opeating system or data access component categories.
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    • Marked as answer by LukeJR Friday, August 21, 2009 9:28 AM
    Friday, August 21, 2009 7:48 AM
  • I cannot find where to log this on Connect Microsoft site, cannot provide feedback. Also note that I am using RTM release and the feedback run command:
    rundll32.exe FeedbackTool.dll,ShowWizard

Does not work in the RTM.

Thanks,
    Friday, August 21, 2009 9:27 AM
  • LOST where is "ODBC Data Source Administrator"now located in Windows Control Panel .. I find it ridiculous there is no F1 help information on where program Icon for ODBC Data Source Administrator in windows Control Panel. Its nut to expect every user has to search windows help... which when you do comes up with no listed items for "ODBC Data Source Administrator" .. then do a connect to the net to find a help link which says lick here to run.  .. But where is the app now located!! NO ONE KNOWS. Microsoft OS= Lost productivity, Higher TCO..
    Wednesday, February 09, 2011 9:16 PM
  • LOST where is "ODBC Data Source Administrator"now located in Windows Control Panel .. I find it ridiculous there is no F1 help information on where program Icon for ODBC Data Source Administrator in windows Control Panel. Its nut to expect every user has to search windows help... which when you do comes up with no listed items for "ODBC Data Source Administrator" .. then do a connect to the net to find a help link which says lick here to run.  .. But where is the app now located!! NO ONE KNOWS. Microsoft OS= Lost productivity, Higher TCO..

1. Open Control Panel
        A. For the Category view, click System and Security, then Administrative Tools
        B. For one of the icon views, double-click Administrative Tools

C. If you have Control Panel in list mode on the Start Menu, single-click Administrative Tools
    2. Double-click Data Sources (ODBC)

Sunday, April 17, 2011 10:32 PM
  • Hi sir!!!!

I am using windows 7,as you said,in 3 point u have mentioned Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb) in Create new data source dialog,but in my system its not showing anything other than sql server..

And i dont know how to work with sql server,so please let me know how to get that mdb format..

Friday, March 09, 2012 10:55 AM
  • It can be found in C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ODBCCAD32.exe. This is the XP catalog for drivers. I'm having some trouble myself with the MS Access driver so I hope it works for you.
    Monday, April 02, 2012 9:22 PM
  • I am facing the same issue...While clicking on Add button in the ODBC Data Source Administrator Dialog box, I get only SQL Server and SQL Server Native Client as options..I cannot find the Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb) option...Can anyone HELP please!!

Akhil Jacob John | Cognizant Technology Soluions Mob: +917845525751

Thursday, August 09, 2012 7:20 PM
  • Hello Guys,

here is your solution.......go to C:\Windows\SysWOW64 and find odbcad32.exe file....click on that

Wednesday, November 06, 2013 3:23 PM