none
Is Fallout 3 compatible with Windows 7?

Question

• I installed Fallout 3 GOTY edition on my computer and cannot play it. I have a Dell Optiplex 320 with Windows 7. No bells and whistles on it and when I click play the screen goes black and tells me Fallout 3 has stopped running and thats it, it cannot find a problem but clearly one exists. Any help will be appreciated.   
    Tuesday, May 18, 2010 1:01 AM

Answers

• If you had installed Fallout3 in "Run As Amin" mode and still have problems.  Uninstall Fallout 3.  Install the following DirectX from Microsoft http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=2da43d38-db71-4c1b-bc6a-9b6652cd92a3 and than reinstall Fallout 3, in "Run As Admin" mode.

Do not install the latest patch yet.  Run Fallout3.  If it runs fine, do a system restore point.  Than install the latest patch.

Like I said, I have it installed in Windows 7 Professional Edition 64bit and have been playing it.  Even with skin mods.

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Monday, May 24, 2010 1:59 AM
    Friday, May 21, 2010 9:26 PM

All replies

• Hi SubHunter,

According to Windows 7 Compatibility Center and Fallout 3 FAQ, Fallout 3 is not compatible with Windows 7.

Please contact Fallout support directly to confirm the issue. Also, you can check if it works in the compatibility mode. For more information, please refer to: Make older programs run in this version of Windows

Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

Regards,

Linda

Tuesday, May 18, 2010 8:10 AM
  • I had installed it in Windows 7 Professional Edition 64-bit.  It runs.  You have to install it using Run As Admin Mode and activate the game also in Run As Admin Mode.
    Tuesday, May 18, 2010 6:04 PM
  • If you had installed Fallout3 in "Run As Amin" mode and still have problems.  Uninstall Fallout 3.  Install the following DirectX from Microsoft http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=2da43d38-db71-4c1b-bc6a-9b6652cd92a3 and than reinstall Fallout 3, in "Run As Admin" mode.

Do not install the latest patch yet.  Run Fallout3.  If it runs fine, do a system restore point.  Than install the latest patch.

Like I said, I have it installed in Windows 7 Professional Edition 64bit and have been playing it.  Even with skin mods.

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Monday, May 24, 2010 1:59 AM
    Friday, May 21, 2010 9:26 PM
  • Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but this came up first when I googled the issues im having.  Im running 64 bit windows7 anf fallout 3 freezes almost every 5-10 minutes.  Ive tried reinstalling as admin, and various compatibility service packs, and it still freezes, making the game almost unplayable.  I can play Oblivion fine, which is odd because I think that game is even older.  I have not tried anything with Codecs because I am not quite sure how to :P.  If anyone can help me out, I would appreciate it.
    Sunday, February 06, 2011 4:09 PM
  • I am having problems also. I cannot get Fallout 3 to install, it never ask me for the securtiy code.......... HELP........
    Sunday, February 13, 2011 1:25 PM
  • I'm seeing the same thing, on Win 7 64-bit. I'll let you know if I discover anything useful.
    Sunday, May 29, 2011 3:39 AM
  • Hi KamW i read what you said and did every step, but it keeps crashing while it is loading after i click new game. I have fallout 3 goty for steam and Regualar fallout with no steam

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 8:42 PM
  • On the Windows compatibility website it states that Fallout 3 is not compatible with Windows 7.  The way I solved this issue is by going to the game directory, finding the Fallout3 application file, right clicking it, going to properties, compatibility tab, and setting the compatibility to run under plain ol Windows Vista, and set the game to run as administrator.  Start the game up, and it should work.
    Monday, December 19, 2011 4:02 AM
  • I installed Fallout 3 GOTY edition on my computer and cannot play it. I have a Dell Optiplex 320 with Windows 7. No bells and whistles on it and when I click play the screen goes black and tells me Fallout 3 has stopped running and thats it, it cannot find a problem but clearly one exists. Any help will be appreciated.   

Open up the fallout.ini file in: My Documents\My Games\Fallout3 
    Find the line: 

bUseThreadedAI=0 

change it to: 

bUseThreadedAI=1 

Add another line after it and insert: 

iNumHWThreads=2 

This will limit the game to 2 cores and prevent the engine bug from causing the game to freeze.

*If the game still crashes write this iNumHWThreads=1

EnJoY!!!

--------------------

by --  stoop!d monkey

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1328904

• Edited by Raswan Friday, March 30, 2012 6:32 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Raswan Monday, April 02, 2012 3:00 AM
    Friday, March 30, 2012 6:26 AM

Adding on other's advise, are you using the Integrated ATI Radeon (onboard graphic) or a PCIE graphic card to run the game?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Saturday, March 31, 2012 12:56 AM
  • @ Raswan THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK +1000000 THAT HELPED SO MUCH, PROBLEM EFING SOLVED =D
    Tuesday, August 07, 2012 2:56 AM