none
BCDEDIT.EXE /CREATESTORE causes error the boot configuration store could not be opened

Question

• I'm upgrading XP to Windows 7 with dual boot using an image and successfully installed on 6 other computers, the last two are failing when I issue the command:

bcdedit.exe /createstore

The boot configuration data store could not be opened.
    The requested system device cannot be found.

I'm using a known good WINPE 4.0 (Windows 8) x64 USB boot environment, so most solutions that state to run elevated as an administrator do not apply.

C: is NTFS active partition, chkdsk doesn't find any errors on C:

I've updated the bootsector with the command

bootsect /nt60 c: /force /mbr

this of course disables booting into XP, but I can reboot and re-enable XP via

bootsect /nt52 c: /force /mbr

If I try a modified command

bcdedit.exe /createstore c:\BOOT\BCD

this also fails, and I've verified that the hidden system C:\BOOT folder does not exist before issuing the command

If I pre-create c:\BOOT (w/o hidden or system attributes) the command

bcdedit.exe /createstore c:\BOOT\BCD

does run successfully, but the following commands to add the Windows 7 boot entries and legacy NTLDR for XP dual boot still fail!

bcdboot.exe d:\windows /s c: /v
    bcdedit.exe /create {ntldr} /d "Windows XP SP3"
    bcdedit.exe /set {ntldr} device partition=C:
    bcdedit.exe /set {ntldr} path \ntldr
    bcdedit.exe /displayorder {ntldr} /addfirst
    bcdedit.exe /default {ntldr}
    bcdedit.exe /timeout 5

The two failing computers are older Dell OptiPlex 960 models, so I'm using traditional BIOS boot, EFI is not supported on these models.  Hard drives are regular SATA (1 per computer), no other mass storage devices present besides DVD (empty), and hard drives are not GPT formatted.  Drives are old enough that they are regular 512 sector devices (no 512 emulation or 4K issues).

Thursday, August 15, 2013 6:31 PM

Answers

• I was able to resolve the issue, if the USB flash drive is removed from the system after completely starting WINPE 4, the command

bcdedit.exe /createstore

will always result in this error message:

I was setting up two systems at once and removing the flash drive to work on the 2nd system.  Even though WINPE is running from the X: as a ramdisk, apparently the bcdedit.exe command requires access to the boot device to create a new store.  I assume that the same issue would occur if booting from a DVD to run the recovery tools and the disc is removed.

• Marked as answer by Mltwwlco Tuesday, August 20, 2013 5:45 PM
    Tuesday, August 20, 2013 5:44 PM

All replies

• Since the computers are installed with Windows XP and you are trying to install Windows 7, the issue is caused as Windows XP does not have bcd store. And since you are choosing dual boot, it's better to install Windows 7 (Custom Installation) and Windows installation will create the boot entry automatically.

During the process, do not use Windows 8 system recovery tools as the version of files are different and the bcd store architecture is different from Windows 7.

Balaji Kundalam

Friday, August 16, 2013 4:34 AM
  • Hi,

I would like to confirm the situation first. Can you boot in Windows XP or Windows 7 now?

If you want to add Windows 7 boot entry, please try the command: Bcdboot D:\Windows /s c:

You can refer to this article.
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee829686(v=ws.10).aspx#BKMK_Step4

If the issue persists, please help me collect the output of bcdedit command.

Niki Han
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, August 16, 2013 6:24 AM
  • Thanks for your response Niki Han, the current status is the computers are booting correctly into the original XP SP3, since I've started them with my WINPE 4.0 x64 USB flash  drive and issued the command to restore the original NTLDR boot process "bootsect /nt52 c: /force /mbr".

I also verified that there are no hidden partitions, and that there is only one active partition, C: which is a standard NTFS volume:

Partition 1
    Type  : 07
    Hidden: No
    Active: Yes

I've also verified that the BIOS is the same and the hard drive mode set in the BIOS is the autodetect RAID in both the working and non-working systems.  I'll review the article you provided at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee829686(v=ws.10).aspx#BKMK_Step4

which may allow me to get these two systems dual booting.  I do know that I'll need to delete the corrupted hidden system c:\Boot folder to avoid any issues.

I do want to figure out why the command

bcdedit.exe /createstore

is outputting this error on just these two systems:

What exactly does bcdedit.exe do when given the /createstore command, does it create a new empty store from the exe itself, or does it copy a store from the running system?  I think the key to figure this out is understanding what the error "The requested system device cannot be found." is trying to tell us.

• Edited by Mltwwlco Friday, August 16, 2013 6:02 PM
    Friday, August 16, 2013 6:01 PM
  • Sorry Balaji Kundalam, Windows 8 (and possibly 8.1) can multi boot 8, 7, Vista, and XP.  I also tried to explain that I am using an image not a regular setup process to install Windows 7, and have successfully done this process on several other sytems so your answer doesn't directly apply.  I t may be helpful to others that are using the normal Windows 7 setup process.  Lastly for future reference I am using WINPE 4.0 x64 USB flash drive created with the Windows 8/2012 version of the WAIK.
    • Edited by Mltwwlco Friday, August 16, 2013 6:06 PM
    Friday, August 16, 2013 6:05 PM
  • Sorry Balaji Kundalam, Windows 8 (and possibly 8.1) can multi boot 8, 7, Vista, and XP.  I also tried to explain that I am using an image not a regular setup process to install Windows 7, and have successfully done this process on several other sytems so your answer doesn't directly apply.  I t may be helpful to others that are using the normal Windows 7 setup process.  Lastly for future reference I am using WINPE 4.0 x64 USB flash drive created with the Windows 8/2012 version of the WAIK.

Absolutely correct. I said you can multiboot Windows XP through Windows 8.1. But what I mentioned is before going to the advanced options, try custom/clean. Note that bcdstore architecture is not present in Windows XP, so you can install Windows 7 (clean installation) and Windows 7 will create a bcdstore for Windows XP automatically.

And since you mentioned, "I'm using a known good WINPE 4.0 (Windows 8) x64 USB boot environment, so most solutions that state to run elevated as an administrator do not apply.", and installing Windows 7 as dual boot with Windows XP, I mentioned, using Windows 8 recovery tools will not solve the issue as the highest version present in the scenario is Windows 7 only.

Balaji Kundalam

Friday, August 16, 2013 6:35 PM
  • Bcdedit /createstore command creates a new empty boot configuration data store. The created store is not a system store. You can use bcdedit /? createstore displays detailed help for the Createstore command.

The following command creates the specified store file:

bcdedit /createstore C:\DATA \BCD

Niki Han
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, August 19, 2013 5:17 AM
  • I was able to resolve the issue, if the USB flash drive is removed from the system after completely starting WINPE 4, the command

bcdedit.exe /createstore

will always result in this error message:

I was setting up two systems at once and removing the flash drive to work on the 2nd system.  Even though WINPE is running from the X: as a ramdisk, apparently the bcdedit.exe command requires access to the boot device to create a new store.  I assume that the same issue would occur if booting from a DVD to run the recovery tools and the disc is removed.

• Marked as answer by Mltwwlco Tuesday, August 20, 2013 5:45 PM
    Tuesday, August 20, 2013 5:44 PM
  • You just state something like "boot device should be present" without analyzing the problem.

Is it the boot or the system device (in Microsoft terminology) which is needed ?

To create a BCD store maybe a system template is needed/used ?

Last but not least - DO NOT USE WINDOWS 8 (NT6.2) UTILITIES TO FIX WINDOWS 7 BOOT !

(use Windows 7 utilities as there is some difference - Windows 7 is NT6.1)

Sunday, August 10, 2014 7:14 PM