none
Help Replacing Windows 8 with 7 on HP Pavilion 20 - mouse & keyboard not working

Question

• I just purchased an HP Pavilion 20 All-In-One desktop computer that unfortunately had Windows 8 on it - I needed a computer immediately and no one in town had an all in one with 7 pro.  I purchased Windows 7 Pro SP1 64 bit OEM software (from reputable store) and thought it would be an easy install - insert disk, follow directions.  It acts as if it's installing windows 7, but when it gets to the screen which shows the language, time and - forgot the last drop down choice, I don't have use of the mouse or keyboard. I can't tab, use arrow keys, or anything.  I have spent hours searching online before bothering anyone for free advice, but now I'm looking for free advice.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Also, do I post this in Windows 7 IT Pro or 8 ? I am posting in both - hopefully that is ok. Thanks - Jilly

Monday, January 07, 2013 4:11 AM

Answers

• Hi Jilly,

Please download and install the Windows 7 drivers from HP official website to check the result.

For your reference:

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/home.html

Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Also try to use another installation media to check the result.

Hope this helps.

Vincent Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, January 08, 2013 8:03 AM
  • You must contact HP Customer Support or Technical Support.  According to the HP website the only support for your system is Windows 8.  There is no support for Windows 7!

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Tuesday, January 08, 2013 11:30 AM

All replies

• Hi Jilly,

Please download and install the Windows 7 drivers from HP official website to check the result.

For your reference:

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/home.html

Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Also try to use another installation media to check the result.

Hope this helps.

Vincent Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, January 08, 2013 8:03 AM
  • You must contact HP Customer Support or Technical Support.  According to the HP website the only support for your system is Windows 8.  There is no support for Windows 7!

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Tuesday, January 08, 2013 11:30 AM
  • That may have been unwise.

HP doesn't support Win7 on that line. Because it's an all-in-one, it will have a similar level of customization as a laptop, so working around HP's non-support of Windows 7 may be much more difficult than it would be for a desktop. You can try contacting HP to see whether they have some sort of secret support for Win 7, but I'd bet that they don't.

If it's still an option for you (did you create restore disks, or did the Win7 install revert to Win8?), I suggest staying with Win8. Install Classic Shell:

http://www.classicshell.net/

or some other third-party start button utility if you need to make the Win8 desktop environment behave more like Win7. The dual desktop/Metro interfaces are an annoyance, but that doesn't (in my opinion) really cripple the PC.

Tuesday, January 08, 2013 4:03 PM
  • I Have successfully changed from windows 8 to windows 7 on a Toshiba laptop. It is not easy and some drivers may not be available. In my case the INTERNET chip driver was not available of windows 7. so the work around was to disable int internal net card and add an external USB network card . Once all the changes were done everything works fine. You can not install it with windows 8 running you must boot from the windows 7 disk as a new installation. Have another computer with Internet connections to find missing drivers. Hope this helps you

James F Dooris

Monday, May 06, 2013 12:41 AM