none
Windows Movie Maker - unable to capture from sony handycam

Question

• I am using Sony Handycam DCR-HC2 camcoder and my laptop is sony vaio vgn-nr160e. Before upgrading to windows 7, I was able to capture home made movie with Click to DVD program via i-link cable with vista home.

From the time I update to Windows 7, I am unable to capture home movies. Presently I am using windows movie maker 2.6. When I connect my handycam to laptop with i-link, it won't reconize.

Please some one guide me, we are planning a 2 week vacation and I am going crazy with this issued ( I am an avg tech guy, not a expt)
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 4:41 AM

Answers

• I have

Windows 7 RC
    Sony handycam DCR-TRV19
    Sony iLink cable
    Full Windows Live package installed

and have had similar results.

With the Sony cable (verses a 4 pin to 4 pin cable) I do get DV IN on the camera when I connect.

But in device manager it does not show up under IEEE or as an Image Device :-(

That's as far as I have gotten. Hoping someone can find the little nugget to get this going.
    Hi

Here are a couple of links that may help.

Sony eSupport - Digital Camcorders

Sony eSupport - DCR-TRV19 - Support

Hope this helps.

Thank You for testing Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 9:31 AM

All replies

• Is I-link the same as a Fire wire ? If so you need to install Windows Live Photo Gallery and then it will recognize and import from your Digi-Cam
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 5:56 AM
  • steam -

Yes. I have a different model Sony Handicam - and iLink is the Sony branded name for firewire - aka IEEE 1394.
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 1:46 PM
  • Have you installed Live Photo Gallery? I know it's odd but the Firewire import feature is a part of photo gallery this time around.
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 8:28 PM
  • Steam -

Actually.. I don't have a firewire port on the Windows 7 computer's motherboard, but yes, I do have WLPG installed. Was just clarifying that iLink = Firewire = IEEE 1394...

Wednesday, June 17, 2009 8:58 PM
  • I have

Windows 7 RC
    Sony handycam DCR-TRV19
    Sony iLink cable

With the Sony cable (verses a 4 pin to 4 pin cable) I do get DV IN on the camera when I connect.

That's as far as I have gotten. Hoping someone can find the little nugget to get this going.
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 10:49 PM
  • I have

Windows 7 RC
    Sony handycam DCR-TRV19
    Sony iLink cable

Hi

Here are a couple of links that may help.

Sony eSupport - Digital Camcorders

Sony eSupport - DCR-TRV19 - Support

Hope this helps.

Thank You for testing Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 9:31 AM
  • Did anyone get their TRV19 working? We are having trouble too. When plugging in the USB, it's not identified. Sony's site has no drivers for Vista or Win7 that would help.
    Thursday, November 05, 2009 5:28 AM
  • February 2012, I am still searching for a solution to the above problem.

I am another unhappy user of Sony handycam and Windows 7. After spending a lot on both sony and windows, I need to now change one of them - cause they dont work.

I have installed Picture Motion Browser from Sony, but when I connect the firewire between Sony and the USB port of windows7, All that windows 7 says is Unknown device and no other information. Uninstalled the device from device manager and connected again. NO USE.

I am using a Sony DVR-HC40E handycam

Saturday, February 18, 2012 3:11 AM
  • I'm same problem with windows 8.

Friday, February 07, 2014 11:18 PM