none
Windows XP will not start after SP3 install

Question

• Hi
    I installed Service Pack 3 on my XP today and now it will not start I have left it on the Windows start up logo for two hours twice now once after the initial start up and once witht the last known good configureation start up. I tried safe mode also and it hangs up at the windows/sys32/drivers/mup.sys file

Please let me know what to do I need back on my computer...

Also I do not have a windows disk my computer did not come with one. My computer also has no floppy drive.
    Sunday, February 17, 2008 4:18 AM

Answers

•  

If your computer is crashing on MUP.sys then test your hardware. One good test is putting in a fresh blank hard drive and installing to that. if that works, then the previous harddrive is starting to die. if not, then try swapping out ram. last resort is motherboard/CPU, because that's the most expensive to replace.

I personally have only had the computer fail on MUP.sys when the motherboard/cpu/ram went kablooie, but some people report that they've had it when the harddrive partitions had failed. (repartitioning the hard drive works too, but you lose all of your data on it of course)

Sunday, February 17, 2008 2:44 PM

All replies

• I found a Win Xp CD and tried the repair but it did not seem to work. I also may have selected the wrong settings is there anyone that knows?
    Sunday, February 17, 2008 5:13 AM
  •  

If your computer is crashing on MUP.sys then test your hardware. One good test is putting in a fresh blank hard drive and installing to that. if that works, then the previous harddrive is starting to die. if not, then try swapping out ram. last resort is motherboard/CPU, because that's the most expensive to replace.

I personally have only had the computer fail on MUP.sys when the motherboard/cpu/ram went kablooie, but some people report that they've had it when the harddrive partitions had failed. (repartitioning the hard drive works too, but you lose all of your data on it of course)

Sunday, February 17, 2008 2:44 PM
  • I have the same problem I get the Windows start up screen, it goes black for a few seconds and then reboots, it is just going round in circles.

It will not start in safe mode, nor will it restore.

Sunday, April 27, 2008 12:03 AM
  •  

Evening all

Have you disabled any Norton, KAS, antivirus anti spyware programs?

Did you set a restore point prior to installing the Sp3?

Which method did you install the Sp3 from? full adminstrator account or apply the subinacl program and reset.cmd ?

There may be other problems prior to install of Sp3, Are the bios,of the systems you are using, the latest version?

What type of system are you using?

Are you using the latest W.H.Q.L. Microsoft signed drivers video available for your system? 174.74 from Nvidia, 8.4 catylst for ATI/AMD?

If you are using X2 processor both the processor driver and the dual core optimizer. You cannot depend on the Sp2 driver for proper operation.

What about chipset drivers?

And the mouse, and other perpherials?

If you have any unsigned drivers you will have endless reboots.

If you check the system to see if safe mode is available you can trouble shoot what is happening

*Press f8 prior to the Windows splash screen*

If you are using an AMD machine, check the regedit for the following key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Intelppm\Start

If this key exists change it to 04 Hexdecimal and reboot.

as seen here

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3072752&SiteID=17

If you are still having problems see follow the advice at the end of this posting and add what problems you are having. And send the logs after a MSFT team member responds with an address.

• Proposed as answer by Baelfur Sunday, August 14, 2011 11:44 PM
    Monday, April 28, 2008 4:49 AM
  •  diskj wrote:

I have the same problem I get the Windows start up screen, it goes black for a few seconds and then reboots, it is just going round in circles.

It will not start in safe mode, nor will it restore.

That happened to me too, in the end i had to reformat my harddrive and use my recovery disk for SP2

Monday, April 28, 2008 5:28 AM
      1. When Windows XP starts press F8 and then find in opened menu "Disable automatic reboot" or something like this. Restart system. This time system will not reboot but will hang anyway and will show blue screen with message.
      2. If message says: stop:c0000139 (entry point not found) can't find   Gdi32.dll, then, only way I found was to reinstall system keeping your settings. It will keep all your settings, do not worry, but you will have to re-install updates. (Do not install SP3, of course until Microsoft not find what's the matter).
      3. Insert your installation disk (sorry for those, who do not have it) reboot you computer and ask to install Windows.
      4. ATTENTION: when it locates the Operation system and asks if you want to "replace it ", "install a fresh copy ", "repair this op system " enter "R" for repair
      5. System will keep all your settings but you will have to reinstall updates, new Internet Explorer, Windows Media etc. Anyway, it is better as configure the System again.

I tryed it this morning myself and it worked!

Monday, April 28, 2008 9:17 AM
  • I too have have installed SP3 this morning, rebooted and get a black screen before the system restarts.

I did not get a chance to play about before having to go to work but have googled this quickly.

I did create a system restore point before installing and am hoping that this will prove my saviour!?

Out of interest had anyone else that has got this problem got an altered kernel, I had a modified boot and login screen which I  restored to default on account of the SP3 installation prevention when this is detected but was curious given the point of when it crashes if this was a problem.

I did over the phone talk the gf through booting via last known good config but this did not work and so I am going to play about when I get home, I am praying that a repair from the XP disc (presumably my original XP with SP2 built in and not a copy of XP with SP3 I recently copied in case of having to re install my operating system is what is needed - relax microsoft I have a valid key still!)

Any opinions?

What is the best way to utilise my restore point I created?
    Monday, April 28, 2008 12:14 PM
  • I installed it Saturday night and spent all day Sunday trying to get it to work.

I have decided to buy a new hard drive and do a new install and only update to SP2 until further notice

Hope MS fix the problem soon - but this is the final release of SP3 right!

Monday, April 28, 2008 12:34 PM
  • Trouble is I am trying to use the Windows XP Installation Disc (I bought Windows XP Pro in the Box) the system will not recognise my Administrators Password....  This is maddening, already I have lost two days of very valuable work and close to losing a Contract.   If I didnt know better I would say this is a way of Mocrosoft forcing us over to Vista.

Monday, April 28, 2008 4:27 PM
  • I'm back up and running!

I had to do a repair off the windows cd.

DO NOT bother wasting your time with safe mode, last known good config or any of these the Windows Advanced Boot Menu will not help one bit - I tried every variation.

I am about to restart and see what stae my pc is in regards to auto updates, but needles to say I am staying on SP2.

Another fine Microsoft release.

Incidentally whoever stated they suspected Microsoft forcing us over to Vista, I'd be suprised. Rumour has it that Vista will go the way of Windows Millenium and that 'Vienna' due late 2009 will be the OS - heard it here first ;-)

Hopefully they and all manufacturers will get 64bit architecture right and force the industry away from 32bit along with it, might aswell have done it with Vista for all the problems people are having with 32bit drivers.
    Monday, April 28, 2008 7:57 PM
  •  

same problem... Windows reboots, but I was able to get into safe mode and then was able to get "Add or Remove Programs" clicked on "Windows XP Service Pack 3" and remove it.... It took me back to SP 2 and I guess after reading all the problems with SP 3 I will stay there on that computer.  I have another one and as of right now SP3 is working fine.
    Friday, May 09, 2008 2:48 AM
  •  smittyre wrote:

same problem... Windows reboots, but I was able to get into safe mode and then was able to get "Add or Remove Programs" clicked on "Windows XP Service Pack 3" and remove it.... It took me back to SP 2 and I guess after reading all the problems with SP 3 I will stay there on that computer.  I have another one and as of right now SP3 is working fine.

have the same problem too, tryed SP3 about two times with the same results, (after install it goes past the windows xp logo then retarts then it goes to the start windows normaly and safe mode options) i did notice tho that just before it reboots itself a blue screen with lots of words on it flashes quickly? i guess im lucky that i can get to safe mode and uninstall SP3 (like i have read some people cant do anything at all...). I am wandering why some have problems and some have none, not including diffrent computers but why cant windows boot up for one guy but can for another if they have the same hardware and software, but just one guy has lets say a diffrent audio player. How can SP3 screw windows up that badly for that one thing?  Maybe the coding for some computers is diffrent,somehow, just enough so SP3 kills windows then slow stabs it in the back till,well you now... And on that note why does safe mode work fine for some and not at all for others? Can SP3 effect that much in so many diffrent ways? Why can it screw so many computers up that are so simailer in so many ways, just by some just becouse one does/doesent have a "random" program!? Is it some computers that are screwy or is it SP3 making them screwy or is it both (if you get me). I believe that the coding for all the programs are slightly diffrent that when SP3 is installed SP3 will make windows burn in hell. But all in all i shall wait for this update microsoft is working on, but until then, go to hell SP3 and take that blue screen with you!
    Sunday, May 11, 2008 1:01 AM
  • There seems to be an issue with an SP3. After installing it, few things happen:

1) windows may get stuck during boot process

2) updates will not install

Solution is to unistall SP3 and reinstall.

Friday, May 30, 2008 7:39 AM
  •  jusmc wrote:

I have 3 dell Latitude x300 laptops that are/should be identical

I am running a 16x bit application on them that is NOT working on 2 out of the 3 machines.

I am only able to run the program in Safe Mode.

I am wondering if anybody knows right off what process is updated/running that is hindering the program from loading up when i boot normally.

I have log files of the processes that are running Safe Mode vs Normal Boot, but so far no luck in locating the problem.

Any help would be apppreciated.

Monday, June 09, 2008 7:29 PM
  • Hi,

Did you start having this issue after installing XP SP3?

Is it resolved now?

Friday, June 20, 2008 10:49 PM
  • I just got this same error today.
    I've found that if you choose to go into safemode, it will freeze on mup.sys, but will keep loading anyway. If you leave it on, the computer should boot into safemode.

From there, I chose the restore point right before SP3 was installed. My computer is now working fine.
    Tuesday, July 08, 2008 11:07 AM
  •  jusmc wrote:

There seems to be an issue with an SP3. After installing it, few things happen:

1) windows may get stuck during boot process

2) updates will not install

Solution is to unistall SP3 and reinstall.

Solution is to uninstall SP3 and NOT REINSTALL.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

- Albert Einstein
    Tuesday, July 08, 2008 12:39 PM
  • I have had the very similar things happening to me since updating WinXP Pro to SP3 on two different Dell Desktops {one less than 1 year old and the other 5+ years old}.  It does not impact my Dell laptop {3 years old}.  I have found the following with both:

Using the normal startup after a normal shutdown -- the computer locks up before completing the bootup sequence.  After first just after the background scene came up.  However, after updating the hardware drivers {particualrly the audio drivers}, I noticed the the bootup got up to the point that all the icons on the screen were visible plus the icons in the sytem try were all load.  I can open the system tray to see all icons.  All looks normal.  However, as soon as I try to open a program using an icon on the screen, I get the famous hour-glass.  At that point it is locked up.  The only thing I can do at that point is do a hard shutdown {turn the power off the computer}.  I have found that after I do the hard shutdown, the computer will complete a normal startup without any difficulties until I try to restart the computer after a normal shutdown.  I suspect that WinXP Pro SP3 is trying to write something into the registery before shutdown and that is causing a conflict during the startup. 

At the suggestion of the IT personnel at my firm, I did a Safe Mode startup without any difficulty.  It then did a normal shutdown from that Mode.  I then did a Safe Mode with networking without any diffculty. 
    It then did a normal shutdown from that Mode.  I then did a normal startup without any difficulty just as I can after a hard shutdown. 

Given all this information and my IT personnel, it would appear for my situation that the cause is related to something in the shutown sequence in the normal mode but not in the safe mode shutdown. 

MacM
    Tuesday, July 08, 2008 12:59 PM
  • I have tried to install SP3 five times and always come up with a stall at the XP Logo screen even when I installed SP3 in Safe Mode and then tried to boot up from there.  I have an HP AMD 64 Athlon Pavilion a1330n Desktop Computer with XP Media Center Edition 2005.

I have tried all the fixes including the intel workaround and the patch that HP has for its AMD processor computers (sp37394.exe -- patch did not work because "system does not meet minimum requirements for update - 9998").  Should I try a Safe Mode Startup after a normal mode installation?  Would this get around the stall at XP startup? 

Any help is most appreciated and your post seemed to be closer to the possible solution for my problem.  Thank you.

After all the trouble with this update, is it really that important that SP3 be successfully installed? [an afterthought]

Nancy

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 10:05 AM
  • How are you supposed to uninstall SP3 if you can't get in?  All I get is the login screen.  Try to log in and it boots and goes back to the login screen.  Tried safe mode, F8, last known config, system diagnostics ... what the ***?

I'm not familiar with working C:/ ... not familiar with the language. 

HELP!

Thursday, August 21, 2008 2:24 AM
  •  ATirrito wrote:
    All I get is the login screen.  Try to log in and it boots and goes back to the login screen.

At the F8 boot menu, select the option to disable automatic restarts, then allow it to boot normally.  At the point where previously it just re-booted, this time it should produce a blue screen with diagnostic messages and error numbers.  Copy all of those into a follow-up message here.

How are you supposed to uninstall SP3 if you can't get in?

See Method 4 of http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950249

Thursday, August 21, 2008 8:40 AM
  •  

I have a comp that I built myself and when I first tried to update to (SP3) I to had problems with the system hanging , after a great deal of head scratching & cursing I finally decided to look in the bios where I found in the security boot settings that the bootsector Virus protection was enabled after disabling it  and saving the changes it loaded up no problem , Im not saying it will cure all the problems but it may help !.

Monday, September 01, 2008 12:18 PM
  • I found at F8 where to disable automatic restarts.  It actually did nothing different.  I have tried all the options in the start up screen - safe mode, disable automatic restart, restore to factory defaults ... etc.  When I start the computer I see the windows start up screen then it goes to the desktop photo (without the icons), and then I get the blue screen where the icon for the login is (not for admin) and since it's my mother's computer, I see her login name only.  I click on the icon (as if to log in) it takes about five seconds ... the screen blinks to the desktop photo page and then reverts back to the blue page with the login name and icon.  I've tried to use just about every different way to start up in the start up menu and I get the same response.  It doesn't change a thing.  My guess is that I have to reinstall but I want to avoid that if possible.  I'm not familiar with dos prompts and commands so I wouldn't know how to bypass windows.

Since the computer seems to consistantly go back to the login screen, I have not seen any error messages so I can't report them here.  Any suggestions?

ALSO I did not receive a start up disk with my computer, nor did I get windows XP disk.  I got a REINSTALL DVD which I assume is an image of the system that I got with the computer but it sais that I will have to reinstall all the drivers.  AHHHHHHHH!!

Monday, September 01, 2008 5:20 PM
  • It amazes me that Microsoft would let this Support Pack 3 go out to the public with this much grief.  I do not have H/W problems and most of the people replying here don't either.  This is more than rediculous.

Monday, October 13, 2008 5:32 AM
  • I'm now the proud owner of a PC with a corrupted hard-drive. Even the BIOS think's it's dead! There seems to be a lot of suspect harddrives after trying to install SP3. Repartitioning and losing all the data? I think not. Now could some kind person suggest how I can knife and fork out of this fine mess. Needless to say I have absolutely no intentions of re-installing SP3. Microsoft you know this is a bummer and I'm grateful that you do not fire over the "automatic updates" as yet! I'll do the honours and search the web for a work around but I do thank you for allowing me to have a poke at you, Microsoft. This is not good customer relations. A somewhat rattled long user of Windows.

Sunday, October 26, 2008 11:03 AM
  • This is a bs answer!!! What kind of *** is that? My system with the same issue was running fine this morning....oh ya and yesterday....and the day before. Oh my but now I need to install this service pack. Oh and now my computer doesn't work? hmmm and you think its a hardware issue? I don't get this. So now you suggest ripping the computer apart. Oh yea and everyone has a blank hard drive lying around right? Come on now?! Can I get a real solution? Why doesn't Microsoft take ownership in this ***.

I want my computer back to the way it was yesterday....working and NO its not just some hardware issue.

Thursday, November 13, 2008 6:56 PM
  • I know this was posted a while ago, but if you are having problems with your computer not booting because of SP3, then you have to go into recovery console and manually uninstall SP3.  You can follow the directions here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950249.  It is under the recovery console section at the bottom.
    Wednesday, December 31, 2008 10:09 PM
  • Dear Firststknight,

Your solution in regedit was right on, at least for me.

You have saved me hours and I can't thank you enough.

Sincerely,

caa2
    Friday, April 03, 2009 7:26 PM
  • stupid microsoft and their operating system. Just get a mac.
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 7:39 AM
  • I can't find that in regedit so now what do I do?
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 8:43 PM
  • I've done all that and more and still have this problem!
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 8:44 PM
  • Thanks Firststknight! I have an AMD processor, and switching the key you mentioned to 04 worked great! I wish I would have found this sooner, but better late than never!
    Tuesday, August 17, 2010 3:15 AM
  • Thanks Firstknight! Worked like a charm on a Compaq Presario SR1834nx (with an AMD processor of course)
    Sunday, January 23, 2011 6:11 PM
  • Even I was facing the same problem after installing service pack 3. All I did was repaired the computer with Windows installation CD through Repair option by pressing 'R'

Repair option worked for me. All the settings were setting as it is.

Tuesday, February 08, 2011 9:12 PM
  • same problems with sp3 update. the windows auto updater just goes ahead and updates without giving you any warning of potential problems or thing you should do before you allow the auto update, so it is fine telling people after the fact oh did you do this or did you do that or did you check this or did you check that. basically windows autoupdate  just implies all will work, like it should. it is 2011 and plug and play should be just that, plug an play.when you switch on the TV it works, no having to mess about with its OS or HW. well after having my pc not booting after the auto update of sp3 i decided i have had it with the nonsense and just got a copy of ubuntu and installed it. adios windows and MS.
    Friday, March 11, 2011 9:56 AM
  •   

Evening all

Have you disabled any Norton, KAS, antivirus anti spyware programs?

Did you set a restore point prior to installing the Sp3?

Which method did you install the Sp3 from? full adminstrator account or apply the subinacl program and reset.cmd ?

There may be other problems prior to install of Sp3, Are the bios,of the systems you are using, the latest version?

What type of system are you using?

Are you using the latest W.H.Q.L. Microsoft signed drivers video available for your system? 174.74 from Nvidia, 8.4 catylst for ATI/AMD?

If you are using X2 processor both the processor driver and the dual core optimizer. You cannot depend on the Sp2 driver for proper operation.

What about chipset drivers?

And the mouse, and other perpherials?

If you have any unsigned drivers you will have endless reboots.

If you check the system to see if safe mode is available you can trouble shoot what is happening

*Press f8 prior to the Windows splash screen*

If you are using an AMD machine, check the regedit for the following key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Intelppm\Start

If this key exists change it to 04 Hexdecimal and reboot.

as seen here

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3072752&SiteID=17

If you are still having problems see follow the advice at the end of this posting and add what problems you are having. And send the logs after a MSFT team member responds with an address.

I created an account just to tell you editing the registry did the trick, and that in my opinion you deserve a trophy sir. Thanks so much.
    Sunday, August 14, 2011 11:52 PM
  • I do believe that sp 3 thinks your machine has a  driver that supports it, being that all the new laptops come with a differnt type of hard drive sata interface something to that effect anyway

durring the boot it looks for that interface and sicne it cant find it  it will report back saying windows cant boot without this driver file or something like that,service pack 3 was really

intended for newer machines that dont have the old type hard drives the IDE interface.

it can be used if your drivers are up to date on some macines. I think in 2005 the interface was changed to sata instead of ata interface, so I guess microsoft assumed that most were faded by the time sp3 was completed, I may be wrong about the time line but most of the time changing the hard drive will let you install the sp3 because the newer hard drives already come with the  drivers for it.

Thursday, October 27, 2011 3:55 PM
  • Try holding the power button for 1-2 minutes. I did this when my laptop kept rebooting
    Sunday, June 17, 2012 3:22 PM
  • This worked great for me.  Thanks for eliminating hours of pulling my hair out.
    Saturday, December 29, 2012 2:24 PM
  • Woot Woot... Finally, I did a restore from a recovery partition on an HP Pavilion a1030e desktop computer and it already was pre-installed with SP2.  After doing all the regular updates I could do to it I wanted to update to SP3 but each time I ran it, after reboot, I would get a quick and unreadable blue screen and the computer would restart allowing me only into safe mode.  I would had to uninstall SP3 in safe mode to get back to normal Windows.  Your registry fix finally got it to take.  That's so awesome.  I've been working on this problem for about 3 weeks.  Thank you, thank you, thank you.  The PC has an AMD Athlon 64 processor 3200+ with 2gb of memory installed.  Still a good computer and my customer doesn't want to upgrade to Windows 8.  So this was an awesome save as I really didn't want to use media from another source other than that which came with her PC.  But I'll probably image the hard drive now as a backup for any future issues.  Thanks a bunch. 
    Monday, January 06, 2014 5:26 PM